Developers: Revitalization efforts should shift away from downtown Hopewell

Mar 15, 2011 Full story: Progress-Index 8

Local developers are pushing city officials to shift their focus from downtown revitalization toward developing properties on Oaklawn Boulevard from the western city limits to Surry Avenue - an area known as the Woodlawn Corridor.

Full Story
River Lover

Hopewell, VA

#1 Mar 21, 2011
Shift what?? The western portion will look like Downtown in a year or so because noone is held accountable. why dont we make these landlords clean up the buildings that they own. Does it make sense to just continue to let Downtown and the surrounding area fall down. Look at the beautiful new Social Service building.. Would you feel safe walking behind it down East Broadway towards City Point. You would probably be stabbed or shot!! The Apartments and trash on the streets look like something you would see in a third world country. OPEN YOUR EYES CITY COUNCIL AND DALEY!! It is time for Daley to follow Martin to another City. But why would he when he is making over $150,000.
just me

Richmond, VA

#2 Mar 23, 2011
Yea something needs to be done downtown. After spending all that money on the new library and the new S.S building why not continue with downtown.
VN Vet

Hopewell, VA

#3 Mar 23, 2011
Because downtown is beyond repair. Our mayor and city council have repeatedly sold out the downtown plan to benefit themselves and the GOBs that put them in office. Why else would there be no grocery stores or good places to eat or hotels in that part of town. NO, they put a damn ethanol plant in the middle of the area( that ain't running yet) to keep those people from coming to that part of Hopewell. Who would want to come downtown and have low-lifes hanging around them like on Hopewell St. and Broadway, and the SS building? Get real!
just me

Richmond, VA

#4 Mar 24, 2011
VN Vet wrote:
Because downtown is beyond repair. Our mayor and city council have repeatedly sold out the downtown plan to benefit themselves and the GOBs that put them in office. Why else would there be no grocery stores or good places to eat or hotels in that part of town. NO, they put a damn ethanol plant in the middle of the area( that ain't running yet) to keep those people from coming to that part of Hopewell. Who would want to come downtown and have low-lifes hanging around them like on Hopewell St. and Broadway, and the SS building? Get real!
I agree with you, but the money already spent !! I work downtown and I worry about walking out to my car. We found a homeless person asleep in our bathroom. We tried to help but all they wanted is to get away. I see this person everyday hanging around the library. I bet there is a corner there for sleeping.
VN Vet

Hopewell, VA

#5 Mar 24, 2011
Our mayor and city manager are to blame for this mess down town, fire them bothor at least keep on thier a$$.
doggy

Hopewell, VA

#6 Mar 26, 2011
VN Vet wrote:
Our mayor and city manager are to blame for this mess down town, fire them bothor at least keep on thier a$$.
frum whut I heer---yude havta git in line---
VN Vet

Hopewell, VA

#7 Mar 26, 2011
Yup, the sherif is at the head of the line.
renter

Hopewell, VA

#8 Apr 1, 2011
who,s next

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donna Howlett Fri bo bo 16
Review: Speedy Cars Inc (Apr '14) Dec 16 happywithspeedy 3
Report bad work from Kenny Amos here. Dec 16 JJJ 12
Is Edwina Daniel a good Realtor? (Dec '13) Dec 12 Cramaz 27
City Attorney Resigns Dec 6 Mansion Hiller 3
Why Are Petersburg Students so darn Stupid, wor... (Oct '12) Dec 5 Zipperhead 46
Prince George Missing Man (Sep '08) Dec 1 anonymous 56
More from around the web

Colonial Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Colonial Heights News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Colonial Heights

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:43 pm PST