I feel that tipping is out of control.

I feel that tipping is out of control.

Posted in the Colonial Beach Forum

Lucy

Gloucester, VA

#1 Mar 24, 2011
We are the fools that spoil these people into thinking we owe them a tip when in fact THEY SHOULD DO A GOOD JOB FOR THE PRICE THEY CHARGE US.

What is with all of the Tip Jars beside cash registers these days? Is good customer service not part of a job? Why are you expecting something extra when you get an hourly wage?

When I buy coffee at Starbucks there is a tip jar. Then there is Subway, Dairy Queen, the bagel shop, and the list goes on. I know they get paid at least minimum wage.

Now I understand you are supposed to tip the husekeeper at a hotel $5 a night.

When the movers brought my furniture I was told by someone that we should buy them lunch and give them a tip. I know these guys make more than minimum wage! And doing a good job is part of their pay!

I understand the need to tip waitpersons, their pay scale is not the same. They get paid below minimum wage because they get tips. I understand that you tip people like hair stylist, etc. Not sure why, but it has always been that way. Not sure why you tip the doorman, taxi driver...

While I feel that all GOOD service should be validated by financial compensation, I feel that it is the responsibility of the employer to pay their employees a living wage. If the employee feels ripped off, they need to reconsider who to work for. I feel bad for them, but not enough to go broke over it.

Are we expected to tip because someone has a job that doesn't pay well? Every time I tip it is like lowering my hourly wage!

In my opinion, tip waitpersons and others whose hourly rate is below minimum wage because they are adjusted for tip. All other, do your job like I do! Noone tips me!

“Tidewater 2916661”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

#2 Mar 24, 2011
Well a sure sign that tipping is out of control is a bovine "MOO" and thump, Not necessarily in that order :)
Lop-eared Galoot

Annandale, VA

#3 Mar 24, 2011
WTCSRET wrote:
Well a sure sign that tipping is out of control is a bovine "MOO" and thump, Not necessarily in that order :)
That's a bunch of bull. But funny.
RScott

Kilmarnock, VA

#4 Mar 24, 2011
Lop-eared Galoot wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a bunch of bull. But funny.
Don't have a cow about it!
7-11

Virginia Beach, VA

#5 Mar 24, 2011
Lucy wrote:
We are the fools that spoil these people into thinking we owe them a tip when in fact THEY SHOULD DO A GOOD JOB FOR THE PRICE THEY CHARGE US.

What is with all of the Tip Jars beside cash registers these days? Is good customer service not part of a job? Why are you expecting something extra when you get an hourly wage?

When I buy coffee at Starbucks there is a tip jar. Then there is Subway, Dairy Queen, the bagel shop, and the list goes on. I know they get paid at least minimum wage.

Now I understand you are supposed to tip the husekeeper at a hotel $5 a night.

When the movers brought my furniture I was told by someone that we should buy them lunch and give them a tip. I know these guys make more than minimum wage! And doing a good job is part of their pay!

I understand the need to tip waitpersons, their pay scale is not the same. They get paid below minimum wage because they get tips. I understand that you tip people like hair stylist, etc. Not sure why, but it has always been that way. Not sure why you tip the doorman, taxi driver...

While I feel that all GOOD service should be validated by financial compensation, I feel that it is the responsibility of the employer to pay their employees a living wage. If the employee feels ripped off, they need to reconsider who to work for. I feel bad for them, but not enough to go broke over it.

Are we expected to tip because someone has a job that doesn't pay well? Every time I tip it is like lowering my hourly wage!

In my opinion, tip waitpersons and others whose hourly rate is below minimum wage because they are adjusted for tip. All other, do your job like I do! Noone tips me!
Then don't tip.
CB Drifter 55

Alexandria, VA

#6 Mar 25, 2011
I smell cow manure.

Whats next? The cop who investigates a break in looks for a tip?

Firefighters need tips too?

Will kids have to tip the crossing guard on the other side of the street?
Woody McBreairty

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Jun 30, 2011
I thoroughly agree that tipping is way, way out of control. Firstly, it is an establishments way of paying their help less, in spite of their usually high prices. I particularly resent and will not patronize a restaurant (or any other establishment that states on the menu "A 20% gratuity will be added to your bill." That takes balls! A tip is an extra payment for EXCELLENT service and there should be no extra payment for less than that. The American peopple have been intimidated by "service" people practically demanding a tip, staring them down and even making rude remarks. Most people would be shocked to know how much some waiters, cab drivers, parking attendants, etc, make (especially in big cities)& how little they pay taxes on. There is a completely self service yogurt shop in town, you serve your own toppings, weight it yourself, etc., and they have a huge tip bowl at the cash register. I was tempted to ask "Who is the tip for?", but I don't go there anymore. Why should you pay 3 bucks for a regular coffee at the coffee places and tip an extra dollar? Doesn't make sense. And their pasteries are sinfully overpriced. I am so tired of the demands of tipping I'm tempted to tip no more, period.
Just Messin

Rockville, MD

#8 Jun 30, 2011
I believe that wait staff should be paid at LEAST minimum wage, but Lucy, you're a cheap BEEYATCH!
Get over yourself !
Jan Baker

Alexandria, VA

#9 Jul 1, 2011
Just Messin wrote:
I believe that wait staff should be paid at LEAST minimum wage, but Lucy, you're a cheap BEEYATCH!
Get over yourself !
Just messin... That was kinda mean, dontya think?
Camden Yuck

Fredericksburg, VA

#10 Jul 1, 2011
I bought a sandwich, chips and drink for -gasp-$12 at Camden Yards and the woman slapped her hand down on the counter in front of the tip jar, and said, "Tips go here!"
I did not leave a tip. I wanted to shout, "Here's a TIP! Don't stand up in a canoe!" but instead I just took my food and walked.
EX TIPPER

Annapolis, MD

#11 Jul 1, 2011
i tried to tip a girl at lennys once 5.00 it was she gave it back and told me here i might need it.hence i tip no more hence i dont go there no more a least no as she works there.
NotUncleScrooge

Fredericksburg, VA

#12 Jul 1, 2011
Yeah, those servers have it so good. They work awesome hours for $3.15/hour, cleane up after super, well-behaved kids, and because the cooks are really fast, they are credited with that quickness... give me a break. Stop going out to eat if you don't want to tip! Jesus, go back to listening to Rush Limbaugh and blame liberals for all of the world's ills, including hardworking servers who make too much money.
NotUncleScrooge

Fredericksburg, VA

#13 Jul 2, 2011
..and 1 more thing. In addition to my bad spelling in the previous post:
20% gratuity is generally added to large parties (8 or more) and high end restaurants. If you can afford $100 for your bill, you can certainly afford $20 for the tip. Servers do WAY more than bring you food and drinks.
tipster

Gloucester, VA

#14 Jul 2, 2011
EX TIPPER wrote:
i tried to tip a girl at lennys once 5.00 it was she gave it back and told me here i might need it.hence i tip no more hence i dont go there no more a least no as she works there.
There must be more to this story!
EX TIPPER

Annapolis, MD

#15 Jul 3, 2011
nope,just what i posted
bill in cb

King George, VA

#16 Jul 3, 2011
I believe tipping killed the renessance (sp) park on rt 3. Once you paid the admission to enter, every street performer expected a tip. Along with the turkey leg vender and the craft vender, everyone. When I take my bride out to dinner, I tip what I can afford. Sometimes alot, sometimes alittle. I always try to leave something for the waitstaff. If the service is looking bad at the start, we don't stay.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#17 Jul 3, 2011
NotUncleScrooge wrote:
Yeah, those servers have it so good. They work awesome hours for $3.15/hour, cleane up after super, well-behaved kids, and because the cooks are really fast, they are credited with that quickness... give me a break. Stop going out to eat if you don't want to tip! Jesus, go back to listening to Rush Limbaugh and blame liberals for all of the world's ills, including hardworking servers who make too much money.
Servers who are paid the minimum wage for tipped employees (the $3.15/per hour) should absolutely be tipped between 10-20% based on the quality of service they provide (and perhaps even more when the service is spectacular), with 15% being the standard.

But when a person is being paid minimum wage or more for non-tipped employees ($7.25/hour or more), one shouldn't feel the need to tip them. As for movers, it IS actually customary to tip the hired help, as they are not being paid by the hour, they are usually paid by the "hundred weight".

I do agree that it's a little ridiculous to have these tip jars in establishments like Starbucks, but I since I've seen them in so many of them, I guess having the jars are within the company policies. But I don't let those tip jars intimidate me into dropping money into it...unless it's the coinage that's returned.

And what does Rush Limbaugh have to do with any of this? When has Rush Limbaugh said anything about tipped employees versus non-tipped employees? Or, like so many other people, are you just ASSuming he said something, and attributing another lame idea to Rush Limbaugh just because you think you don't like him? I happen to know that Rush Limbaugh is actually a very generous tipper.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Famous Name Game (Apr '14) 2 hr Honest Babe 72
A to Z: names of cities, towns, states, places ... (Apr '14) 2 hr Honest Babe 119
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) 2 hr Honest Babe 4,920
add a word, drop a word (Apr '11) 2 hr Honest Babe 16,722
add a word, drop a word 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr Honest Babe 4,402
Good news Colonial Beach 5 hr trump player 1
A to Z of Cars/Car Parts (Apr '14) 11 hr General_Tso 490
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Colonial Beach Mortgages