Colonial Beach Progress
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Sheri

Warrenton, VA

#1 Feb 26, 2006
I hope I'm in the right place to be posting this. It says Colonial Beach Va. Forum up at the top. I don't see much posted ABOUT Colonial Beach. Me and some family member's are getting ready to move to this area. I've heard there is some progress going to happen in Colonial Beach. This is my hope because as it stands now, nothing is going on except big condos being built behind the board walk. I've watched the only shopping center being worked on for a long time but it never gets finished. What I'm wondering is, where are all those people that will be in the condos going to eat, shop, and have fun at? If anyone here knows some facts about what is going to be built in Colonial Beach, please post it. Colonial Beach is a gold mine just waiting to be mined. I wonder why it isn't......
Bud

United States

#2 Feb 27, 2006
Sheri wrote:
I hope I'm in the right place to be posting this. It says Colonial Beach Va. Forum up at the top. I don't see much posted ABOUT Colonial Beach. Me and some family member's are getting ready to move to this area. I've heard there is some progress going to happen in Colonial Beach. This is my hope because as it stands now, nothing is going on except big condos being built behind the board walk. I've watched the only shopping center being worked on for a long time but it never gets finished. What I'm wondering is, where are all those people that will be in the condos going to eat, shop, and have fun at? If anyone here knows some facts about what is going to be built in Colonial Beach, please post it. Colonial Beach is a gold mine just waiting to be mined. I wonder why it isn't......
There is plenty happening at the Beach besides the new Condos. The River boat will open this summer,new retail bottom of condos, the shopping center has been purchased and new owner doing a complete rehab,shops and rest. will open this summer, new Ledos pizza will open next month. new housing devlp. and shopping center across from food lion, excavation just started, new strip mall going in at halls market. new sewer being installed at westmoreland shores, means new homes. parkers or Still water Grill open under new management, now the Yacht club, big new Marina going in at Curleys oyster house, still adding on at the yacht center and morehomes being built everyday. and I could go on
CB Citizen 937

United States

#3 Mar 8, 2006
New condos = Raised Taxes.
River Boat = Gambling...leading to addictions.
New Retail = Less Business For Current Businesses.
Refurbished Shopping Center = OK
Ledos Pizza = OK
New Housing = Raised Taxes.
*THERE IS NO NEW SHOPPING CENTER COMING IN ACROSS FROM FOOD LION!!!*
Strip Mall = Bad Location.
TOO MANY HOMES = Depreciating Land Values.

Potholes out-number citizens by four times.
Roads are un-kept.
Water keeps failing.
Mayor won't talk to citizens.
I can go on for days.
Bud

United States

#4 Mar 13, 2006
In response to CB Citizen 937.
Town of Colonial Beach Has always been over taxed, especially if you consider what they do with the money.
River Boat will create many new needed jobs and hopefully a descent Restuarant on the front.OTB is hardly gambling leading to addiction.
Condos did not raise Taxes, although they are way overpriced for the poor quality.
New retail and shopping center is well needed and overdo,been a eyesore for years.Will also create new jobs.
As far as the Mayor and roads, water,potholes. I totally agree.
If you think no retail across from Food Lion wait and see!
depereciating land values?? just the opposite
CB Citizen 937 wrote:
New condos = Raised Taxes.
River Boat = Gambling...leading to addictions.
New Retail = Less Business For Current Businesses.
Refurbished Shopping Center = OK
Ledos Pizza = OK
New Housing = Raised Taxes.
*THERE IS NO NEW SHOPPING CENTER COMING IN ACROSS FROM FOOD LION!!!*
Strip Mall = Bad Location.
TOO MANY HOMES = Depreciating Land Values.

Potholes out-number citizens by four times.
Roads are un-kept.
Water keeps failing.
Mayor won't talk to citizens.
I can go on for days.
Edna

Northumberland, PA

#5 Mar 22, 2006
What information do you have regarding the new condos being built behind the boardwalk. I haven't been to Colonial Beach since a year ago, and there seems to be a lot going on. I called one of the local realtors and he was not helpful at all. Very disappointing for a realtor. My family was one of the first in Colonial Beach/Oak Grove area and I would like to relocate in the next year when I retire here in PA.
bill

United States

#6 May 11, 2006
Is the riverboat otb open yet ?
laura herndon- va

Bristol, VA

#7 May 26, 2006
looking to relocate, heard colonial beach might be for me. what's the going rate for home sales? seeking 1 or 2 bedroom house, small lot, few blocks from water? don't want to be flooded out.
anyone know a good rag to look into to search for local real estate?
Charlie-Annandal e VA

Pleasanton, CA

#8 May 31, 2006
The Westmoreland News comes out each Wednesday and is a good source for real estate listings. It's also worth a drive down there to check it out in person, about a 90 minute drive from Fall's Church.
CB Gal

Gloucester, VA

#9 Jun 20, 2006
Update: There is a development going in across from Food Lion, ground has been broken; supposed to break ground for the golf course any day, & another development is going up along Rt. 205 outside of town.

The Riverboat is almost ready, Ledo's has opened.

Taxes have been raised in Westmoreland & will be decided in CB shortly (tonight).

Local papers: Westmoreland News & The Journal
Lori McEwen Realtor

AOL

#10 Sep 6, 2006
Sheri wrote:
I don't know if anyone has responded to your inquiry. I am a Realtor in the Colonial Beach area and hope I can answer your questions. Yes there are condos being built they range in the 300K numbers. There are also some lovely townhomes being buiit in the high 200,000 -- 3 stories with garages -- I think a much better buy. The community will have a pool and docks. Would be happy to assist you. The town itself has gone through some ups and downs. We lost alot of businesses during the recent hurricane. However, the Riverboat is being rebuilt, the shopping center is being revitalized, and we are starting to get some chain restaurants. Right know with the market down it is a buyers market. Please respond if I can be of further assistance.
Dion Gray

Sherman, TX

#11 Sep 7, 2006
I have purchased one of the waterview townhome in Monroe Point, which will be avialable for rent in febuary 2007. It is a three bed room 3 1/2 bath, one car garge with a sun room extension on two levels and deck. Please let me know if you know or can help find a qualified renter.
Potomac Waterbug

Charlestown, MA

#12 Dec 9, 2006
My sister purchased a luxury townhome from Ryan Homes in Colonial Beach. They have a pool, clubhouse and private marina. They have already sold 20 homes at pre-consturction prices and their model will open in Dec-Jan. She is excited because she has already gained some equity and her home will be ready this spring and I'm excited because I now have a place to put my 30' Sea Ray!
jww

Westminster, MD

#13 Dec 22, 2006
hey waterbug, you sound like your in the sales department down their.
Andy

Bethpage, NY

#14 Dec 28, 2006
Yes the riverboat is open is thriving. My wife works there and the OTB and Keno is extremely busy. Can't say I have liked the food yet, however the Riverboat is absolutely beautiful inside. The slot machines are in the final approval process in MD, and IF approved will come to the Riverboat. As for some earlier comments on the taxes, most of taxes seem to go to Colonial Beach school, and its fire/police.
Old Rider

Washington, DC

#15 Jan 6, 2007
The Riverboat seems to have no shortage of patrons – at least over the Holidays it looks quite busy – although the long-standing CB businesses seem pretty much as sleepy as ever… all this growth can be a good thing if done at a sane pace… explosive growth, however, is almost never a blessing except for real-estate speculators… explosive growth usually outstrips the ability of the civilian community to provide services, food, utilities, common amenities, etc., etc, and develops into a pecking-order of who gets what (usually depending on how much money one wants to spend – as happened down in Northumberland county in the late 80s – early 90s, where just getting a water-well dug required massaging a few palms..). Almost inevitably, the local government is not prepared to move from a village mentality to providing the security and services required of a middle-income bedroom community, let alone a major town… I’d feel better if I saw some new industries coming to town, but it looks like the same ones that have been there for years – with the possible exception of a seemingly more robust tourist trade in recent years and a brisk business in the consignment shops… so, most of these new residents are going to be depending on income from outside the community…

In the meantime, the city pier still sits in disrepair as it has since the storm, the potholes are a “pleasant” reminder that real-estate taxes must be being diverted to other less-obvious endeavors, and one wonders how on earth 205 is going to accommodate drivers in the new development across from the shopping-center… let alone the zillion or so folks in those 800+ new golf-course units; I suspect some high-school intern masquerading as a civil engineer is already planning a plethora of new traffic lights and “enlightened” traffic patterns… still, generally CB remains a pleasant community with congenial, leisurely moving residents… hopefully that won’t change.
Potomac Waterbug

Alexandria, VA

#16 Jan 8, 2007
Here is an article on Colonial Beach Progress taken from this website.
http://www.freelancestar.com/News/FLS/2007/01...
adrienne

AOL

#17 Jan 9, 2007
Am still looking for anyone that knew Jody Cottage and the girls from Pittsburgh,Pa. We always spent the summers at the Beach and still come down often. I remember the night the Pier burnt down, so yes we a bit older now, but still looking for our old friends.
CONCERNED MOTHERS

Wicomico, VA

#18 Mar 21, 2007
AS FAR AS C.B. PROSPERING, YEA WITH NEW HOMES. THERE STILL IS NO ENTERTAINMENT AND NOTHING FOR THE KIDS TO DO. THE POLICE ARE NOT TOLERANT OF THIS FACT EITHER. I REMEMBER WHEN YOU COULD SKIP ROCKS ON THE RIVER. NOT ANYMORE THE POLICE WILL COME AND HARASS YOU TO LEAVE. SO IF YOUR PLANNING ON MOVING DOWN HERE, THINK ABOUT YOUR CHILDREN FIRST. WE HAVE LOTS OF GANGS AND DRUGS FOR THEM TO PARTICIPATE IN. AND THEY COULD ALWAYS DRINK AND HAVE SEX, TO PRODUCE MORE CHILDREN WITH NOTHING TO DO. WE ARE THE ONLY SCH0OL IN THE AREA THAT DOES NOT HAVE TALENT SHOWS. THEY CANT EVEN PLAY BASKETBALL AT THE LOCAL BLACKTOP ANYMORE. WONDER WHY THE CRIME IS SO HIGH. LOTS OF PEOPLE SAY THERE ARE WORKING ON THIS, BUT ALL I SEE IS A MAJOR WHO POCKETS ARE GETTING FAT, AS HE IS BUILDING A HOUSE FAR AWAY FROM C.B. THE STREETS ARE RIDICULOUS. IT TAKES 5 MINUTES TO GET SHAMPOO OUT OF YOUR HAIR, WE HAVE NO SAND ON THE BEACH JUST ROCKS. I COULD GO ON FOR DAYS. THE REASON I STAY IS BECAUSE OF ILL FAMILY MEMEBERS WHO NEED TAKING CARE OF. I JUST WISH NEW BLOOD WOULD COME IN AND TAKE OVER AND HELP THE CITIZENS AND CHILDREN HAVE NORMAL LIVES. THIS IS A DEAD END TOWN.
CBresident

Richmond, VA

#19 Mar 22, 2007
I moved to CB about 8 years ago (when prices were reasonable} and have grown more attached to it every day. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I find the old homes and surrounding nature enough for contentment. Yes, there are problems and I am concerned that the town government is incapable of handling what has become a growth explosion. My hope is that more capable citizens will step up and take the reins. I think they will. I'm also concerned that the town is selling off its resources for too little and not requiring developers to do their share of infrastructure preparation for the influx of people. I'm also concerned that the character of the town and the characters in the town may be lost ... but I can hope, and I do. We need our full-time residents to participate and we need businesses to create commerce. We do have an art guild, a fantastic Espresso Station, a good library, restaurants, active volunteers, and spirit. I do sympathize with the kids' plight, but things are slowly progressing. The wheels of the town do move slowly and will have to speed up to keep up, but it's a charming place to live if you give it half a chance. In the not too distant future, we'll be longing for the good ol' days ...
CONCERNED MOTHERS

Wicomico, VA

#20 Mar 28, 2007
adrienne wrote:
Am still looking for anyone that knew Jody Cottage and the girls from Pittsburgh,Pa. We always spent the summers at the Beach and still come down often. I remember the night the Pier burnt down, so yes we a bit older now, but still looking for our old friends.
THE PIER HAS BURNED UP SEVERAL TIMES, WHICH TIME WAS IT. WAS IT THE TIME THEY TRIED TO DRIVE THE FIRE TRUCK DOWN IT AND IT CAVED IN? DUH? FIRE TRUCK, PIER, NO BRAINER.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tattered Apron 20 hr river 1
Texas Pete's Colonial Beach Forum (Aug '15) Thu texas pete 59
Love Colonial Beach Oct 15 Shiflett 3
Don't Purchase A Vehicle From Can't Be Beat (Sep '15) Oct 6 Chris 4
Looking to buy 50-60 houses Oct 2 Development of Town 4
Four Seasons Fun Times Today Sep 30 yourtowntoo 3
Grass cutting Sep 29 Betty 11

Colonial Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance