bleach in water supply
DOG LADY

King George, VA

#1 Mar 20, 2013
read all about the flouride in our water supply but what about the bleach? everytime i turn on the faucet the water smells like someone poured a whole bottle of bleach into it. i have been buying water bottles for years and i will not give my dogs water from the tap either. when i called public works years ago about the strong bleach smell the lady told me she did not smell it and she has used the water for years so much for anyone caring about the health of the citizens

“Annoying and won't go away....”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#2 Mar 20, 2013
It is chlorine. Not bleach. Both contain the same base chemical (sodium hypochlorite chlorine) and thus smell the same. Trust me, no one is putting actual bleach in your water.

Chlorine has been used for many many years in substandard water systems throughout the world (well, in countries that actually care about their citizens. Some people are more suseptable to the smell then others.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#3 Mar 20, 2013
You can buy filters to attach to your faucets. Shower filters are especially helpful since chlorine will dry out your skin and hair.
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

#4 Mar 20, 2013
KP in CB wrote:
You can buy filters to attach to your faucets. Shower filters are especially helpful since chlorine will dry out your skin and hair.
Am I reading you right? Richard was done in by chlorine AND freebase?:) That would be chlorine dried him up and freebase lit him up :)

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video...
woot owl

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Mar 20, 2013
The_Bill_P wrote:
It is chlorine. Not bleach. Both contain the same base chemical (sodium hypochlorite chlorine) and thus smell the same. Trust me, no one is putting actual bleach in your water.
Chlorine has been used for many many years in substandard water systems throughout the world (well, in countries that actually care about their citizens. Some people are more suseptable to the smell then others.
Chlorine is most widely used disinfecting agent in the water systems worldwide due to it's cost and reliability and it's effects. It has nothing to do with "substandard water systems".
Cindy Lou Who

Urbanna, VA

#6 Mar 20, 2013
I never smell chlorine in my water.
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

#7 Mar 21, 2013
I could not make this stuff up :)
My right guy is screaming, "Don't do this!"
My left guy says, "Go for it!"
Now we will know who won!:)
Natures perfect drink NO CHLORINE required!
http://news.yahoo.com/too-much-tea-causes-unu...
HB Rules

Moyock, NC

#8 Mar 22, 2013
well you have to kill the crap germs in the water someway. The extra fecal material i hear is like extra dietary fiber though. Plus it gives the water a more filling taste.
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

#9 Mar 22, 2013
HB Rules wrote:
well you have to kill the crap germs in the water someway. The extra fecal material i hear is like extra dietary fiber though. Plus it gives the water a more filling taste.
Two stages required, filtering for chemicals, and treatment for biologicals. You still will have MPEs for substances Like radium and tritium (2 of my personal favorites) Miss on either one or exceed MPE and you might be a sick puppy :)
ex employee

King George, VA

#10 Mar 23, 2013
wtcsret wrote:
I could not make this stuff up :)
My right guy is screaming, "Don't do this!"
My left guy says, "Go for it!"
Now we will know who won!:)
Natures perfect drink NO CHLORINE required!
http://news.yahoo.com/too-much-tea-causes-unu...
I love chlorine, it's great for boo-boos and keeps my chuck taylors nice and clean
Clueless

Centreville, VA

#11 Mar 23, 2013
ex employee wrote:
<quoted text>
I love chlorine, it's great for boo-boos and keeps my chuck taylors nice and clean
And conversely speaking, I love my Chuck Taylors, even if they ARE old and dirty. I walked six miles in them so far today, and then they encouraged me to spend another 2 hours working in the yard and planting a peach tree since they were already clogged with mud.:)
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

#12 Mar 23, 2013
Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
And conversely speaking, I love my Chuck Taylors, even if they ARE old and dirty. I walked six miles in them so far today, and then they encouraged me to spend another 2 hours working in the yard and planting a peach tree since they were already clogged with mud.:)
The only chuck tailors I know tailor wood piles :)

brittany

King George, VA

#13 Mar 25, 2013
i actually had the water tested twice and they said there is no chlorine which is unheard of and very disturbing due to all the bacteria plus has anyone noticed the outbreak in stomach issues since the water has seemed to be a problem????
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

#14 Mar 25, 2013
Some folks (not many) are on well water, Harry would say, "Well are you?" :)
Wells can get to be deep subjects (except Robin Grove and Castlewood park, which are only half deep :)
I Wonder

King George, VA

#15 Mar 25, 2013
brittany wrote:
i actually had the water tested twice and they said there is no chlorine which is unheard of and very disturbing due to all the bacteria plus has anyone noticed the outbreak in stomach issues since the water has seemed to be a problem????
You claim there is no chlorine, Dog Lady claims there's to much. One of you is an idiot. Or maybe both of you are idiots. We'll let the people decide.
Algernon

Centreville, VA

#16 Mar 25, 2013
I Wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim there is no chlorine, Dog Lady claims there's to much. One of you is an idiot. Or maybe both of you are idiots. We'll let the people decide.
I tend to take with a grain of salt any comments made by Dog Lady.
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

#17 Mar 25, 2013
You can have it both ways, depending if private well and reverse osmosis is in the equation w/ town supplied water :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
add a word, drop a word 2 (Mar '12) 4 hr _FLATLINE-------- 4,240
add a word, drop a word (Apr '11) 4 hr _FLATLINE-------- 16,561
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) 7 hr Honest Babe 4,760
A to Z: names of cities, towns, states, places ... (Apr '14) 7 hr Honest Babe 53
A to Z of Cars/Car Parts (Apr '14) 7 hr Honest Babe 438
A to Z: names of music artists (Apr '14) 7 hr Honest Babe 518
A to Z of song titles (Apr '14) 7 hr Honest Babe 463
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Colonial Beach Mortgages