First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Classic Shore From Here

Moyock, NC

#1 Nov 19, 2009
Tim Trivett's brother

Store's closing an unpleasant surprise to some

North Carolina Furniture customers are worried about how they'll get their furniture after the business abruptly closed

Date published: 11/19/2009

BY CATHY JETT

Jimmy Hale was expecting to arrange delivery of the living-room furniture he'd paid for when he called North Carolina Furniture in King George County on Nov. 12.

Instead, a prerecorded voice informed him that the number he'd dialed was authorized to make outgoing calls only.

"We drove out to the company, and there was a sign on the door that they had closed due to the economy," said Hale, who lives in King George. "The sign indicated that floor samples were available for sale, and people expecting deliveries would hear something about it later on."

A week went by with no call, and he said he now fears that the two club chairs, sofa table, coffee table and end tables he purchased will be sold as "floor samples," and he'll never see his money again.

Hale isn't alone. Five people have contacted the Better Business Bureau in the last 30 days to complain about not being able to reach North Carolina Furniture since it closed recently. Some have contacted the King George County Sheriff's Office and Nicole Thompson, the county's economic development director, as well.

"At this point, we are taking all the reports that certainly come to our attention, and will look at those to determine if this is a criminal or civil matter, and will notify the people who have notified us," said Maj. Steve Dempsey.

He said customers should contact the Sheriff's Office if they are trying to get their furniture, and Detective Monty Clift has been assigned to look into the matter.

If this turns out to be a civil case, people will be referred to the consumer affairs division of the Attorney General's Office, Demp-sey said. The Sheriff's Office will handle it if it is a criminal case.

Efforts by The Free Lance-Star to contact Jeff Trivett, who owns North Carolina Furniture, have failed, but Ralph Peregory at Exit Realty Expertise in King George said Trivett told him that he had closed the store and was selling the building because of "severe health problems."

Trivett has listed the 16,000-square-foot store at 11475 Ridge Road with Peregory for $1.39 million
Crabby

Tappahannock, VA

#2 Nov 19, 2009
I went there to purchase a bed and have it delivered to a King George address not far from the store. Delivery price was $70.00. I decided to take the time and gasoline to go to F'burg where I got a bed for the same price and the delivery was $20.00. Maybe I played in small part in the demise. I'm sorry for the employees who have no jobs now.
Observer

Saluda, VA

#3 Nov 19, 2009
Crabby, I had a similar experience. It was a bait and switch, not really on sale unless you spent at least $500.00 The furniture was way to big for most of the houses around here. Trivette was as nasty tempered as his Bro. Good luck to the employees who lost their josb.
Apple Tree

Wicomico, VA

#4 Nov 19, 2009
Maybe the Colonial Beach School can be sold by Ralph Pregory a 2 for 1 sale.Bussiness 101 Manage it into the ground ,leave everyone hanging and claim illness,now thats a solid thoughtful plan.
Pissed Off

Salem, OR

#5 Nov 19, 2009
I ordered Furniture from Jeff Trivett (NCFC)in May 2009 and I as well put a deposit on my order of $3500 Ive made several trips as well as calling countless times and only to be told by Mr. Trivett "your furniture is in Customs and we have no idea when it will be delivered". I was told when placing the order that it would not be here until Sept 1st. Well its now Nov. 20th and I have no furniture and a company that has went belly up without any warning. I really thought Mr. Trivett was a respectful salesman. I cant believe he would be treat his paying customers this way!!
Im planning on taking legal action... Any others going to do the same? Maybe we all need to get together..
Get Real

Saluda, VA

#6 Nov 19, 2009
Pissed Off wrote:
I ordered Furniture from Jeff Trivett (NCFC)in May 2009 and I as well put a deposit on my order of $3500 Ive made several trips as well as calling countless times and only to be told by Mr. Trivett "your furniture is in Customs and we have no idea when it will be delivered". I was told when placing the order that it would not be here until Sept 1st. Well its now Nov. 20th and I have no furniture and a company that has went belly up without any warning. I really thought Mr. Trivett was a respectful salesman. I cant believe he would be treat his paying customers this way!!
Im planning on taking legal action... Any others going to do the same? Maybe we all need to get together..
Good gosh, take whatever legal action is necessary! That's absurd! Plus there may be some sort of time frame you have to adhere to - I'd be there tomorrow!
clickster

United States

#7 Nov 20, 2009
The BBB is a waste of time, you want action go to the Virginia Attorney General's office of consumer affairs. I had a problem with Furnitureland South a couple of years ago and as soon as the AG's office got involved I got all of my money back. Good luck, oh, next time go to Simm's and buy off the floor.
disgruntled customer

Owings, MD

#8 Nov 24, 2009
I too got taken by this crook and the sad part is that the "good ole boy" network is alive and well in King George County. If I hear one more time that he's such a good guy and gives lots to the community I'm going to puke. Yep, he's giving away money he should have used to buy our furniture. I'm taking legal action too!
TRUST NO ONE

United States

#9 Nov 24, 2009
FILE A CIVIL SUITE...WARRANT OF DEBT. Once the Court rules in your favor put a Lien on his Property. His house is for sale for 1.4M!!! thats the only way to get your $$ back!
Gidget

Irvington, VA

#10 Nov 25, 2009
I hope those who are owed furniture or a refund do take legal action before it's too late!
Mad As Hell

Falls Church, VA

#11 Nov 25, 2009
TRUST NO ONE wrote:
FILE A CIVIL SUITE...WARRANT OF DEBT. Once the Court rules in your favor put a Lien on his Property. His house is for sale for 1.4M!!! thats the only way to get your $$ back!
According to the article in the Free Lance-Star on 11/19/09, Jeff Trivett is selling his store for $1.39 million. Is he selling his home too? Sounds to me like he's going to skip town.
Mad As Hell

AOL

#14 Nov 26, 2009
Somebody told me that there was a small article in the regional section of yesterday's Free Lance-Star (11/25/09) saying that Jeff had filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy but I haven't been able to find it in my online searches yet. Does anybody have the paper copy to look at and confirm this?
Not yet

AOL

#15 Nov 26, 2009
Mad As Hell wrote:
Somebody told me that there was a small article in the regional section of yesterday's Free Lance-Star (11/25/09) saying that Jeff had filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy but I haven't been able to find it in my online searches yet. Does anybody have the paper copy to look at and confirm this?
You won't find public record of his potential bankruptcy filing until the debts are discharged by the Bankruptcy Court. In the meantime, he can retain an attorney and petition the court for bankruptcy. Once he retains an attorney, all debt collection stops and there's an automatic stay on any type of debt collection. You'll be lucky at best to see any refund or compensation.
Gidget

Gloucester, VA

#16 Nov 26, 2009
Run, don't walk, to your attorney's office!
I saw it

Wicomico, VA

#17 Nov 26, 2009
It was in the Free Lance Star, he has filed chapter 7, and his attorney said all debt collection has stopped. You are to late.
disgruntled customer

Owings, MD

#18 Nov 26, 2009
So are you saying that filing a civil suit now is too late? Son of a b**** is going to get away with this and then some...I want my money back!
Mad As Hell

AOL

#19 Nov 28, 2009
I cannot believe that he is going to get away with this! What about the rights of consumers? It seems to me that the law protects those that screw people and we have no rights. What about the criminal investigation that the The King George County Sheriff's Department is doing? Does that mean that he cannot be charged as a criminal and is going to get away with that also?
HB Rules

United States

#20 Nov 28, 2009
Mad As Hell wrote:
I cannot believe that he is going to get away with this! What about the rights of consumers? It seems to me that the law protects those that screw people and we have no rights. What about the criminal investigation that the The King George County Sheriff's Department is doing? Does that mean that he cannot be charged as a criminal and is going to get away with that also?
about 3 or 4 years ago the democrats in congress pushed through new bankruptsy laws against the wishes of the republican party. those laws made it easier for parties to default on debt..........but remember the democrats look out for the little guy....
Waiting

AOL

#21 Nov 29, 2009
It's only a matter of time until the whole community finds out what a "good" person Jeff Trivett really is..........
Response needed

Newport News, VA

#22 Nov 29, 2009
Jeff may not have control of what all is going on at this moment. When a business fails alot is left to the legal system and lawyer's telling that person what can be done or should be said. With that in mind it would help if the public could get some type statement from someone on his behalf to allow the people who have supported the business or are owed a product to have a contact or some knowledge of what is going to happen to include a time frame. This would at least give people some hint of what to expect in the future. Most good businesses that have failed have done this in the past. If nobody hears from him then that just lends to the belief that somebody is getting the shaft.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) 58 min Princess Hey 6,579
vendor's 6 hr wtcsret 3
Grass cutting 8 hr Blue Crab 3
Poll Who was the Greatest Colonial Beach Character? (May '08) 20 hr Nominee for Hall ... 69
Four Seasons Fun Times Today 21 hr Hungry Waiting fo... 1
Last Post Winz (Apr '14) Sep 13 Princess Hey 353
Vice Mayor antics, here we go again Sep 13 Beachlover 3

Colonial Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Colonial Beach Mortgages