Created by food lover on Jul 18, 2011

302 votes

Click on an option to vote

Ist stop has more of a selection

I like the atomsphere of Denson's

Deli Deli Deli

United States

#21 Jul 24, 2011
We like both places and frequent both of them -- I called ahead the other day to Rocky's place with my order and when I got there my order was on the counter, but Rocky was so busy talking to a couple of ladies and he never came to check me out -- one of the sandwich makers came after I asked could I please pay for my sandwiches -- then she called to Rocky a couple of times because the sandwiches I ordered was on special and she needed to get the price. There was only the two ladies and me in the store at the time -- after I left and got into my car the two ladies left with nothing in their hands. So Vetnam 2 I do agree with you that Rocky's quality is great but their customer service CAN be beat. I should of been in and out within a couple of minutes but it was over 10 to 15 minutes before I got to leave with my sandwiches. Vetnam 2 I didn't get a free bag of potatoes either!
Meatandtaders

Rhodesdale, MD

#22 Jul 25, 2011
VETNAM 2 wrote:
Two thumbs up for Rocky. I was there today and in my opinion, their quality and customer service can't be beat!
And Rocky, thanks again for throwing in the bag of red potatoes to go with the meat.:)
Now how can you beat that. Buy meat at Denson's and get a free bag of red potatoes. I'll be there today for that deal.
VETNAM 2

Annandale, VA

#23 Jul 25, 2011
Meatandtaders wrote:
<quoted text> Now how can you beat that. Buy meat at Denson's and get a free bag of red potatoes. I'll be there today for that deal.
Meatandtaders.....

To clarify why the potatoes. While I was waiting for the meat I asked Rocky if he had any of the red potatoes I like to buy there. Rocky said he got potatoes in this morning (Sunday), but that he wasn't going to sell them since they weren't up to their usual quality. He said they were out back and that I was welcome to look at them if I wanted. Being Irish, of course I said yes. A few minutes later he came back with a paper bag of about 3lbs of potatoes and handed them to me as I was paying for the meat. That's when he said no charge for the potatoes.

I wouldn't expect a recurring deal like that, but I WAS pleasantly surprised and appreciative. That's why I mentioned it.

To me that was definitely good customer service and resultant customer satisfaction.
Martin Peyton

Virginia Beach, VA

#24 Jul 25, 2011
comehere wrote:
Never tried 1st Stop due to their employees smoking out front??....Densons is Great!!
You can drive down the main street of any town or city in this country and notice employees smoking outside of business doorways. If the price of a pack of cigarettes rose to $50, they would still be out there smoking! Where I work, the smokers are always ouside when someone needs them; and when they are not outside, they are planning their next smoking opportunity. Thus, an employer gets almost nothing out of them for the salaries paid. Why does anyone hire these desperate souls? Hire non-smokers and get some productivity and improve your business image!

Since: Oct 08

King George, VA

#25 Jul 26, 2011
Martin Peyton wrote:
<quoted text>
You can drive down the main street of any town or city in this country and notice employees smoking outside of business doorways. If the price of a pack of cigarettes rose to $50, they would still be out there smoking! Where I work, the smokers are always ouside when someone needs them; and when they are not outside, they are planning their next smoking opportunity. Thus, an employer gets almost nothing out of them for the salaries paid. Why does anyone hire these desperate souls? Hire non-smokers and get some productivity and improve your business image!
Hummm? Everyplace I've ever been usually has a rule the you get a 15 minute break after putting in a certain number of hours.(i.e.... work two Hours... 15 minute break work another 2 hrs... Lunch (usually 30 minutes) work another 2 hrs... 15 minute brake... I've seen these empolyees bust their backsides all day long, except for the breaks. And the non-smokers are supposed to have the same brake time as the smokers.

If what you said is true... then your working for the wrong people! Non-smokers are not any better or worse than smokers... they both can give a good honest days work.
Think

United States

#26 Jul 26, 2011
It's not that they smoke. The proprietor show know to have a smoking area away from the entrance.
Either behind the building or across the way.
thinking positive

Wicomico, VA

#27 Jul 26, 2011
Hmmmm? Employee's also smoke at the entrance of Riverboat,foodlion,halls,ritea id,getnzip,rankins,and alot of other places.These women are working really hard and they deserve a smoke break when they can get a chance to take one.If you are to uptight to go in because of the smoking you are missing out because they have a great business with excellent food,and wonderful customer service.
Freshair

Washington, DC

#28 Jul 26, 2011
Masterscout wrote:
<quoted text>
Hummm? Everyplace I've ever been usually has a rule the you get a 15 minute break after putting in a certain number of hours.(i.e.... work two Hours... 15 minute break work another 2 hrs... Lunch (usually 30 minutes) work another 2 hrs... 15 minute brake... I've seen these empolyees bust their backsides all day long, except for the breaks. And the non-smokers are supposed to have the same brake time as the smokers.
If what you said is true... then your working for the wrong people! Non-smokers are not any better or worse than smokers... they both can give a good honest days work.
Non-smokers are not any better or worse than smokers. Guess your doctor told you that. Is that what you tell the scouts? Do you lead by example. You sir have gone from stupid to just plain dumb.

King George, VA

#29 Jul 27, 2011
Freshair wrote:
<quoted text> Non-smokers are not any better or worse than smokers. Guess your doctor told you that. Is that what you tell the scouts? Do you lead by example. You sir have gone from stupid to just plain dumb.
As Paul Harvey would say,“Here is the rest of the story”

Welcome to Topix Earth “Freshair"

1. Non-smokers are not any better or worse than smokers.

a. In regards to the amount of productivity produced, no, non-smokers are not any better than smokers, IMHO. How many times have one of you out there (the smokers) got up to go outside and take a smoke break at work, passed a non-smokers cubical and noticed them checking their personal email, playing electronic games, checking their stocks and bonds, Sport teams, etc.?

2. Guess your doctor told you that?

a. My doctor has never mentioned or commented on the effects of workplace productivity and smoking. Why? Has yours?

3. Is that what you tell the scouts?

a. No, the adult leaders of any scout unit will discourage the use of tobacco products, also that it is illegal in the United States for non-adults, under the age of 18, to purchase and use tobacco products. By the Way “Freshair”, you do understand that purchasing and using tobacco products by adults is legal.

b.“The Boy Scouts of America prohibits the use of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances at encampments or activities on property owned and/or operated by the Boy Scouts of America, or at any activity involving participation of youth members. Adult leaders should support the attitude that young adults are better off without tobacco and may not allow the use of tobacco products at any BSA activity involving youth participants. All Scouting functions, meetings, and activities should be conducted on a smoke-free basis, with smoking areas located away from all participants."

c. When the BSA states that Adult leaders may not allow the use of tobacco products at any BSA activity involving youth participants, it means that you can't let the youth smoke or chew (not much of an issue for Cub Scouts I imagine). Now some might say that it is also a ban on adults using tobacco products at BSA activities, but the BSA goes on to state that smoking areas should be located away from all participants. The BSA recognizes that adults can smoke, and many do. They just don't want people smoking near the Cubs and Scouts.

4. Do you lead by example?

a. See 3.C

5. You sir have gone from stupid to just plain dumb.

a. How to answer this… Hummm? Well I guess I’ll try to be as nice as I can not knowing if you are a female or a male… It has been said that behaving or speaking in such a way as to avoid causing offense is to show discretion. It is also within the power/right, of each of us to decide or act according to one's own judgment/choice. I therefore choose not to bandy about with you in the area of name calling where a debater, such as yourself, tries to diminish the argument of your opponent by calling the opponent a name that is subjective & unattractive (typical Political/Con Artist Tactic); i.e.:“You sir have gone from stupid to just plain dumb.” One could also state that you based your argument on intimidation, appealing to moral self-doubt & reliance of fear, guilt or ignorance of the particular topic at hand. You try to use it as a form of ultimatum or proviso, demanding that the reader renounce any other given idea (without discussion), under the threat of being considered ethically unworthy. Are your posts to topix always the same? "Only those who are evil can hold such an idea." OH! I guess I finally figured out who you are after all… You are Senator Joe McCarthy, U.S. Senator from Wisconsin (1947–1957)… aren’t you!

Please Note: Any animals, aliens, or humans; smokers or non-smokers, youth or adults used in this posting were in no way mistreated or harmed and all postings in which they might appeared were under strict supervision with the utmost concern for their handling.
DOG LADY

King George, VA

#30 Jul 27, 2011
WTCSRET wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like a split decision to me with MOST in favor of both establishments. The foodstamp comment puzzles me. I'm sure both stores have items that would be acceptable for a foodstamp recepiant. Would you care to elaborate? I continue to do self sanity checks just to make sure I don't miss out on anythihg good :)
are you sure this is the REAL wtcsret? never known you to make spelling mistakes
cbvirginian

King George, VA

#31 Jul 27, 2011
DOG LADY wrote:
<quoted text>are you sure this is the REAL wtcsret? never known you to make spelling mistakes
Green box posters can't be imposters. Read James' post somewhere on here about green vs gray.
VETNAM 2

Annandale, VA

#32 Jul 27, 2011
cbvirginian wrote:
<quoted text>
Green box posters can't be imposters. Read James' post somewhere on here about green vs gray.
cbv.....

Actually cbv, I believe there is a way that a clone could steal your identity even though you're green. But the way to deter them is to change your avatar and thereby "out" them.

James would be the technical consultant in regard to this but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
cbvirginian

King George, VA

#33 Jul 27, 2011
VETNAM 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
cbv.....
Actually cbv, I believe there is a way that a clone could steal your identity even though you're green. But the way to deter them is to change your avatar and thereby "out" them.
James would be the technical consultant in regard to this but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
Thanks, VN2. I'm sure James will come back and explain further.
Freshair

Christiansburg, VA

#34 Jul 27, 2011
Masterscout wrote:
<quoted text>
As Paul Harvey would say,“Here is the rest of the story”
Welcome to Topix Earth “Freshair"
1. Non-smokers are not any better or worse than smokers.
a. In regards to the amount of productivity produced, no, non-smokers are not any better than smokers, IMHO. How many times have one of you out there (the smokers) got up to go outside and take a smoke break at work, passed a non-smokers cubical and noticed them checking their personal email, playing electronic games, checking their stocks and bonds, Sport teams, etc.?
2. Guess your doctor told you that?
a. My doctor has never mentioned or commented on the effects of workplace productivity and smoking. Why? Has yours?
3. Is that what you tell the scouts?
a. No, the adult leaders of any scout unit will discourage the use of tobacco products, also that it is illegal in the United States for non-adults, under the age of 18, to purchase and use tobacco products. By the Way “Freshair”, you do understand that purchasing and using tobacco products by adults is legal.
b.“The Boy Scouts of America prohibits the use of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances at encampments or activities on property owned and/or operated by the Boy Scouts of America, or at any activity involving participation of youth members. Adult leaders should support the attitude that young adults are better off without tobacco and may not allow the use of tobacco products at any BSA activity involving youth participants. All Scouting functions, meetings, and activities should be conducted on a smoke-free basis, with smoking areas located away from all participants."
c. When the BSA states that Adult leaders may not allow the use of tobacco products at any BSA activity involving youth participants, it means that you can't let the youth smoke or chew (not much of an issue for Cub Scouts I imagine). Now some might say that it is also a ban on adults using tobacco products at BSA activities, but the BSA goes on to state that smoking areas should be located away from all participants. The BSA recognizes that adults can smoke, and many do. They just don't want people smoking near the Cubs and Scouts.
4. Do you lead by example?
a. See 3.C
5. You sir have gone from stupid to just plain dumb.
a. How to answer this… Hummm? Well I guess I’ll try to be as nice as I can not knowing if you are a female or a male… It has been said that behaving or speaking in such a way as to avoid causing offense is to show discretion. It is also within the power/right, of each of us to decide or act according to one's own judgment/choice. I therefore choose not to bandy about with you in the area of name calling where a debater, such as yourself, tries to diminish the argument of your opponent by calling the opponent a name that is subjective & unattractive (typical Political/Con Artist Tactic); i.e.:“You sir have gone from stupid to just plain dumb.” One could also state that you based your argument on intimidation, appealing to moral self-doubt & reliance of fear, guilt or ignorance of the particular topic at hand. You try to use it as a form of ultimatum or proviso, demanding that the reader renounce any other given idea (without discussion), under the threat of being considered ethically unworthy. Are your posts to topix always the same? "Only those who are evil can hold such an idea." OH! I guess I finally figured out who you are after all… You are Senator Joe McCarthy, U.S. Senator from Wisconsin (1947–1957)… aren’t you!
Please Note: Any animals, aliens, or humans; smokers or non-smokers, youth or adults used in this posting were in no way mistreated or harmed and all postings in which they might appeared were under strict supervision with the utmost concern for their handling.
And a looney tune too.

“Tidewater 2916661”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

#35 Jul 27, 2011
VETNAM 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
cbv.....
Yes! I said that somewhere else. For DL There's a post about leaving something for EVERYONE, That's where the "mistakes" come in. It's a win-win for everyone that way :)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

King George, VA

#36 Jul 28, 2011
Freshair wrote:
<quoted text> And a looney tune too.
Why Thank You Freshair... that is the first Nice thing you have said. I am kind of partial to Wile E. Coyote. He keeps trying, no matter what.
Supporter

Washington, DC

#37 Jul 29, 2011
I'm pleased that we have 2 new businesses in town, but I'm confused. We have Food Lion, a Bakery, the Market at the Inn, and Rocky who sells baked goods (perhaps at 1st Stop, too). Papa John's joins Domino's and Ledo for pizza. That's competition enough. And now Walmart is coming soon on RT 301. This is going to strain all of the above. Hopefully, the next new business will fill a void, such as a cute boutique. Let's wish these new businesses the best; they have a difficult time ahead.
cool boss

Dundalk, MD

#38 Jul 29, 2011
A cool boss would let his employees smoke pot outside. Keep smoking

King George, VA

#39 Jul 29, 2011
cool boss wrote:
A cool boss would let his employees smoke pot outside. Keep smoking
Yeah dude, he be real kewl... but it would still be illegal, D'Oh! Why do you think they call it DOPE!
cbvirginian

King George, VA

#40 Jul 30, 2011
I've only been to Rocky Denson's so far, and have to say I love the personal service. He and his family greet you with a smile every time. I like his products, especially the natural milk from Tricking Springs Farm. I had been buying it much further away and I am very glad to be able to get it locally and in a glass bottle. As far as employees smoking outside an establishment, I agree that it should be somewhere else. As a non-smoker I don't want to have to walk through smoke smog to spend my money. At my government office, smokers couldn't smoke at the entrance. They were given another covered area to smoke.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Famous Name Game (Apr '14) 4 hr Princess Hey 680
add a word, drop a word (Apr '11) 4 hr Princess Hey 17,646
add a word, drop a word 2 (Mar '12) 4 hr Princess Hey 5,325
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) 4 hr Princess Hey 5,874
A to Z of Cars/Car Parts (Apr '14) 4 hr Princess Hey 899
A to Z: names of cities, towns, states, places ... (Apr '14) 4 hr Princess Hey 623
Song Title Game (Apr '14) 4 hr Princess Hey 857

Colonial Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Colonial Beach Mortgages