Comments
1 - 20 of 91 Comments Last updated Jan 5, 2014
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
tdj1470

Greenbelt, MD

#1 Jun 6, 2013
I was wondering after seeing someone else ask who William Cooper was , why isn't there a post on our history? I remeber the Colonial Hotel and the train rides , Mrs. Hopkin's cottages, Mrs. Rocks's Hotel, Lee's TV shop. Most of which are gone now:-(History is disappearing right before our eyes and its up to those old enough to remember to preserve history for the younger generation.
kursk

Tappahannock, VA

#2 Jun 6, 2013
tdj, get in touch with Mitsi at the CB museum and see what can be done. I think that would be a great starting point to get information and to organize to find information. We are losing our links to the past and with the WWII generation almost gone,our collection of history will then come from secondary sources and hearsay. Keep topix posted on this and good luck.

Since: May 13

King George, VA

#3 Jun 6, 2013
This can be a very good thread....informative to see the least.
I do not believe history vanishes, but as time goes on, we of today, become part of tomorrow's history. What we a today's society do with our town, city, county, States and the world becomes our children's and thier children's history.

What does history do for us? Gives us a broader understanding of what is possible. Helps us gauge the consequences of our actions before we act. Helps us learn from mistakes and build on ideas. Helps us understand the world and the many different types of people that inhabit it. And we can't leave out that history is an interesting subject to talk and debate about...and it makes you sound smart ;)

As far as this topic, I remember Reno's, Parkers, Two Wilkersons side by side on Rt 205. They also had hard shell crabs on the menu. I remember the hotel, but not the rides, I remember the Banana Water Slide ride, life guards at the beach and Chief Anderson. Many things do change, but history is here to stay, evolve, perhaps, but even as I type this and as you read it what I type, we all become a part of history..What await our grandkids olny the futures knows, but WE can and should play a big part in it.
Fresco

Alexandria, VA

#4 Jun 6, 2013
Put your corn on the card bingo
The black cat dance floor
Millis snowball stand
Mrs Rocks store
Fries hotel and Restaurant
The ring toss game to win a knife ( need to forget this one!)
Mr Jones Sno Sundaes
The Wolcot Tavern restaurant
Hopkins store
Silco
The Little Dipper
Colonial Beach Pharmacy Ice Cream counter
Larry g

Alexandria, VA

#5 Jun 6, 2013
Fresco, how long have you lived here?
What was in the place where the CB police are now? Was it an ice cream palor?
beachgrass

Atlanta, GA

#6 Jun 6, 2013
Larry g wrote:
Yes for a very short time and then it was home to Imagine One Tech before they moved over the BBT and police station moved in
Noisey

Lexington Park, MD

#7 Jun 6, 2013
Larry g wrote:
If you are referring to the location at the Beach Gate. It was a gas station that Blackie Christopher ran and than a body shop by Ed Bowen. That was torn down for the small mall that is there now.

Across the street where the McDonald's is now was the Texaco Gas Station and at the light coming into the Town was a "Y".

How do I know this, because I was born an rised in the Town on Jefferson St, to Marshall Ave.

A lot has come and gone.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#8 Jun 6, 2013
Jimmy Jones snow cones, The Beach Ball gift shop, Roger's arcade and pool hall, wet banana waterslide, The WheelHouse (where Denson's is), Cooper's Store, the Five and Dime on Irving, The Diner (where Hunan is) The Ben Franklin (old shopping center) LeMart drug store (slush puppies and comic books) Freeman's drug store (ice cream counter) Steve's seafood (feeding the ducks) Parker's (my first job) ... lots of good memories of CB past.
Wants to know

King William, VA

#9 Jun 6, 2013
Does anyone know anything about a General Store that used to be on Hawthorn St. by the VFW?? I think they said Mr Klotz used to own/run it and also live in the upstairs part of that white building next to the museum.
Fresco

Alexandria, VA

#10 Jun 6, 2013
Gem 5&10
The bath house on boardwalk
The raft and jellyfish nets
Fried cheese on a stick
Saco House
The Flamingo hotel
Hops Place
The ambassador
Mrs Mcginnisses cottage

Smartassofficial, you probably served me a seafood platter at Parker's!

Location hidden

#11 Jun 6, 2013
Wants to know wrote:
Does anyone know anything about a General Store that used to be on Hawthorn St. by the VFW?? I think they said Mr Klotz used to own/run it and also live in the upstairs part of that white building next to the museum.
I believe that wast the five and dime... I used to get swedish fish there when I was dropped off the bus from kindergarten.

Location hidden

#12 Jun 6, 2013
Fresco wrote:
Gem 5&10
The bath house on boardwalk
The raft and jellyfish nets
Fried cheese on a stick
Saco House
The Flamingo hotel
Hops Place
The ambassador
Mrs Mcginnisses cottage
Smartassofficial, you probably served me a seafood platter at Parker's!
Haha... nah, but I probably washed your dished.
Fresco

Alexandria, VA

#13 Jun 6, 2013
smartassofficial wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha... nah, but I probably washed your dished.
Well I did candy at that Gem 5 & 10. Had that big candy counter when you walked in the door.
Also bought sparkle paints there. Probably would be outlawed today.
Old Sam

Alexandria, VA

#14 Jun 6, 2013
I remember the Deviled Crabs at Parker's, don't think I ever seen one sense they've been gone
tdj1470

Capitol Heights, MD

#15 Jun 6, 2013
kursk wrote:
tdj, get in touch with Mitsi at the CB museum and see what can be done. I think that would be a great starting point to get information and to organize to find information. We are losing our links to the past and with the WWII generation almost gone,our collection of history will then come from secondary sources and hearsay. Keep topix posted on this and good luck.
Thank You for the info. I will get in contact with her. Maybe I can post "history" once a week

Location hidden

#16 Jun 6, 2013
Old Sam wrote:
I remember the Deviled Crabs at Parker's, don't think I ever seen one sense they've been gone
Deliciously served in the tin-foil crab
Delicious

Arlington, VA

#17 Jun 6, 2013
We enjoyed many a meal at the Walcott Tavern which sat next to the Walcott Hotel on the boardwalk. All fresh vegetables and the nicest people. The crab cakes and deviled crabs at Parker's Crab Shore were too die for. Reno served excellent pizza & steak and cheese subs - also enjoyed picking crabs on the screened porch while watching the waves splash below the decking boards. Also hold fond memories of the rides in front of Reno and the Putt Putt Golf Course. We had good times then and Jone's Snowball stand made memorable chocolate snowcones with Hershey's syrup. So good!
Fresco

Alexandria, VA

#18 Jun 6, 2013
smartassofficial wrote:
<quoted text>
Deliciously served in the tin-foil crab
No one makes those good ones any more.
MIKE

King George, VA

#19 Jun 6, 2013
rocks hotel remember the smell of plastic rafts and sun tan lotion as you walked by and the old folks sitting in those red steel chairs guess i am almost as old as they were then lol right this way folks for the boat ride boat ride leaves in 15 minutes 45 minute cruise cost a 1.50 and the sound of the music coming from the cheap speaker blasting the same juke box songs from Jones pool hall and dont forget the pink lemonade from Millies those were the days some of you folks cant imagine how many people would be on the board walk you could not see the other end for all the people it sure has changed someone mentioned cheif Anderson man he was like a giant back in the day I use to love watching drunks walk past him at the foot of Reno but you did have to act a real fool for him to mess with you a real good man And the train I was so luckey working for Delbert Conner having operated the train one of the things I will always think was a coolest thing to do thank to TDJ for the thread brought back memories and William Cooper was a big time business man he owned Darl propane {museam now}
Darl oil Darl concrete { next to F and A } Darl laundrymat{now Fat Fredas } a builder and developer and coopers store that was Colonial Beaches WAL MART lol DARL was named for his kids Doug Allen Robin and Larry hope thattells youa little about William Cooper
Fresco

Alexandria, VA

#20 Jun 6, 2013
The driver of the train yelled at my Aunt once, thought she was going to try to tip it over sitting in the back seat. Maybe that was Mike the driver? LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
olonial Beach Police Department 21 min What 51
Ray Wells 27 min What 7
Ferguson - Colonial Beach, VA 7 hr I Wonder 7
3 People Shot At "Go-Go" Party In Spotsylvania 8 hr Just a Thought 4
Beachgate motel 14 hr Solidude 17
The Colonial Beach Schools should be very proud 16 hr Mjolnir 10
Dockside Restaurant and Tiki Bar 16 hr Mjolnir 8
•••
•••
•••