Officer busted on felonious assault charges

Sep 18, 2012 Full story: WTVR Richmond 11

Fredericksburg police said they were called to the Forest Village Apartments about two men fighting in a hallway on Sept.

Full Story

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#1 Sep 19, 2012
Reading the copy from WTVR, it is stated that,“Based on witnesses statements, 31-year-old Kevin Murrell, of Orange, was arrested for misdemeanor assault. Murrell is a police officer with the Colonial Beach Police Department.”

However, the Free-Lance Star stated,“Loud music was being played at an apartment upstairs, Bledsoe said, so Murrell knocked on the door and asked the resident to turn it down.[That seems like a reasonable request on a school night especially if it was loud enough to be heard downstairs]

An argument somehow turned into a fight, Bledsoe said, and Murrell eventually put 22-year-old Travis Cox in a chokehold.

Several residents came out of their apartments and witnessed part of the altercation, and police were called.”

So based on witness statements Murrell was arrested… I find that interesting, seeing as the witnesses only witnessed part of the altercation and nobody, but the two men, knows who actually started the confrontation. There is more to this than meets the eye.
Tyler

Bronx, NY

#2 Sep 19, 2012
Kevin has no police power outside of colonial beach. However, as a citizen, he or anyone of us may have been disturbed by the loud music to the point of asking him to turn it down. Not the best decision to make these days. A reasonable and prudent adult would be wiser and safer to call the local police.
Now! The question is, did Kevin use his badge to confront Cox or did he approach Cox as an angry citizen?
Either way, it is sure strange that the by standers only saw one side of this fight.
My opion is, at least for now, it shouldn't matter if Kevin is a CB Cop or not. It's a matter of a pvt. Citizen being annoyed by someone playing load music and confronted him.
Let the courts settle it.
Clueless

Falls Church, VA

#3 Sep 19, 2012
Masterscout wrote:
Reading the copy from WTVR, it is stated that,“Based on witnesses statements, 31-year-old Kevin Murrell, of Orange, was arrested for misdemeanor assault. Murrell is a police officer with the Colonial Beach Police Department.”
However, the Free-Lance Star stated,“Loud music was being played at an apartment upstairs, Bledsoe said, so Murrell knocked on the door and asked the resident to turn it down.[That seems like a reasonable request on a school night especially if it was loud enough to be heard downstairs]
An argument somehow turned into a fight, Bledsoe said, and Murrell eventually put 22-year-old Travis Cox in a chokehold.
Several residents came out of their apartments and witnessed part of the altercation, and police were called.”
So based on witness statements Murrell was arrested… I find that interesting, seeing as the witnesses only witnessed part of the altercation and nobody, but the two men, knows who actually started the confrontation. There is more to this than meets the eye.
Exactly! Just like on the football field when the "victim" gets called for the penalty when he is the one seen responding.
Thecheesestandsa lone

Virginia Beach, VA

#4 Sep 19, 2012
Just another testament to the criminals the CBPD has given a badge to and set out among innocent citizens to be railroaded and violated upo,.and check the facts scout following a hospital visit Murrell was upgraded to felony assault due to the extent of the victims injuries.whether or not the music was too loud it is not up to the power hungry egotistical asshole that I know Murrell to be to mete out the punishment.I hope he rots in prison.it is safe to say he should be removed from the force immediately.
cbvirginian

King George, VA

#5 Sep 20, 2012
Police officers are held to a higher standard, and they know it. Because of their training, they never forget they are a police officer, at least they SHOULD never forget they are a police officer, apparently this officer did forget it, or he tried to use his power, and it was the wrong decision. This type of action/misjudgment on his part, harms other officers. He should be put on unpaid LEAVE until the matter is settled.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#6 Sep 20, 2012
Thecheesestandsalone wrote:
Just another testament to the criminals the CBPD has given a badge to and set out among innocent citizens to be railroaded and violated upo,.and check the facts scout following a hospital visit Murrell was upgraded to felony assault due to the extent of the victims injuries.whether or not the music was too loud it is not up to the power hungry egotistical asshole that I know Murrell to be to mete out the punishment.I hope he rots in prison.it is safe to say he should be removed from the force immediately.
Mr. Thecheesestandsalone, as I have never met the officer in question and have no idea as too his, as you suggest,“power hungry egotistical” attitude that you know Murrell to have, I stand by my observation that “There is more to this than meets the eye”. Surely, you cannot disagree with that.

Until such time as we find out who threw the first blow or who made the first aggressive move they are both to blame.

And I still find it odd that the paper stated that the residents came out of their apartments and witnessed PART of the confrontation and he was arrested based on their seeing only part of the conflict.

And as ‘cbvirginian’ stated “Police officers are held to a higher standard” and with this I also agree. However, we are putting the cart before the donkey by assuming his guilt. It just may be that he was defending himself against an irate individual, who we also know nothing about.

If he is the officer I think he is, seen and heard from about half a block away, talking to a young lady who was pulled over, then you may be extremely accurate in your judgment of his over-assertiveness as a LEO.
nativevoiceofrea son

Alexandria, VA

#7 Sep 22, 2012
Scout, that's Ms. To you by the way, and I will concur that all the facts are not on display here so there may be more than meets the eye, after speaking with a few people who have been given tickets by him I can surely attest to his pompous thuggery that is only being masked as"Police work" because he works for a joke of a p.d. this is more bad press for the town and as an outraged citizen I must admit that it saddens but does not surprise me.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#8 Sep 24, 2012
nativevoiceofreason wrote:
Scout, that's Ms. To you by the way, and I will concur that all the facts are not on display here so there may be more than meets the eye, after speaking with a few people who have been given tickets by him I can surely attest to his pompous thuggery that is only being masked as"Police work" because he works for a joke of a p.d. this is more bad press for the town and as an outraged citizen I must admit that it saddens but does not surprise me.
My most humblest of apologizes M’Lady, for the assuming of your gender. I do believe that we are on the same page with this issue. Sad thing is it has reached all the way to the west coast. I say this because I noticed it in a San Francisco Newspaper last week. Nothing seems to travel as fast as Bad News (guess that is because Bad News sells more papers, Yes?) Have a Good week Ms. NVoR.
CB lover

Colonial Beach, VA

#9 Oct 15, 2012
nativevoiceofreason wrote:
Scout, that's Ms. To you by the way, and I will concur that all the facts are not on display here so there may be more than meets the eye, after speaking with a few people who have been given tickets by him I can surely attest to his pompous thuggery that is only being masked as"Police work" because he works for a joke of a p.d. this is more bad press for the town and as an outraged citizen I must admit that it saddens but does not surprise me.
First of the PD there works hard to protect people just like the others! They are NOT a joke and you need to get things right. How bout you show respect for people that our working to protect you! They are a police force and do their job. Without them I know alot of things that would be ruining this little town. Also, Tickets are a part of his JOB maybe dont break the law and you wont get a ticket. Right now both people were in the wrong. The other guy has also been charged with assult and battery. So let it be settled in the court and the system will take care of it not you who seems to have an issue with respecting good law enforcement that you want to call a joke.
Nuts

Irvington, VA

#10 Oct 15, 2012
CB lover wrote:
<quoted text>
First of the PD there works hard to protect people just like the others! They are NOT a joke and you need to get things right. How bout you show respect for people that our working to protect you! They are a police force and do their job. Without them I know alot of things that would be ruining this little town. Also, Tickets are a part of his JOB maybe dont break the law and you wont get a ticket. Right now both people were in the wrong. The other guy has also been charged with assult and battery. So let it be settled in the court and the system will take care of it not you who seems to have an issue with respecting good law enforcement that you want to call a joke.
This was old news until you brought it up again.
CB lover

Bridgewater, VA

#11 Oct 26, 2012
Nuts wrote:
<quoted text>
This was old news until you brought it up again.
Well I had just seen it so it was new to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
boom! 6 hr nannyb52 6
Bad weather tommorrow 8 hr nannyb52 3
please take your pets inside 9 hr HB Rules 11
Town Council Work Session January 22nd Video 10 hr Susan Pietras-Smith 1
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) 11 hr wtcsret 1,571
Colonial Beach Historical District Sun Dizndat 6
add a word, drop a word (Apr '11) Sat WTCSRET 13,133
Colonial Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Colonial Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:19 pm PST