“Time for a change.”

Since: Sep 12

Colonial Beach

#1 Apr 11, 2013
Last nightís town council meeting could only be described with one word-Unbelievable! Res 25-13 the subject. After informing the taxpayers in attendance that council did not know how much more it would cost to build in Colonial Beach. Or how much longer the permit process would take and acknowledge that the County is still reviewing our memorandum of understanding, so we do not know what they will require. Voted 6 to 1 to proceed with transferring authority of the State mandated environmental and settlement control to the County. And council wonders why Colonial Beach is viewed as hostile to business.
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

#2 Apr 11, 2013
Elections have consequences. I believe your recent turnover may have contributed to the mess. Sadly the mess may have caused the turnover. Now if you're not eating from a crate you will get it :)
When you're working a mess it takes some time to com up w/a foxtail and dustpan :)

http://squid-thoughts.blogspot.com/2009/12/no...
just me

King George, VA

#3 Apr 12, 2013
This council wants to get rid of dispatch for the PD, schools and now Zoning and Building. What's left?
Nuts

Smithfield, VA

#4 Apr 12, 2013
They lost control a long time ago. Council is led around by the nose by Foulds.

“Time for a change.”

Colonial Beach

#5 Apr 12, 2013
In all fairness, it is the budget that is forcing the town council into making these very hard decisions. The school funding question looms large and will dominate all thinking until resolved. Perhaps, after that decision is made, we can reverse 24-13.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#6 Apr 12, 2013
Seems like there are three options: get rid of charter and make CB "northern" Westmoreland County with no services (police, public works, school), hope that the town becomes a city (based on census numbers) but then you'd have to provide those services plus courts system, school, sheriff's office, constitutional officers, or keep the status quo....
Taxed2wice

Augusta, WV

#7 Apr 13, 2013
Turn the schools over to the county and CB will have plenty of money to run the town.
Drifter Fan

Alexandria, VA

#8 Apr 13, 2013
You could call Rick aka Dawg to help bail this Town out and turn it around,
yea right

Irvington, VA

#9 Apr 13, 2013
While I am not a accountant, I do know you can't spend the same money twice. The 25K given to school to balance is the same 25K returned. Now that is some creative finance.

“Time for a change.”

Colonial Beach

#10 Apr 14, 2013
Painful! Watching seven good people, with a sincere desire to the right thing, turned into something very difficult to watch. It was unanimous! Judging from the comments from Council, and from the group in the back of the room, there has got to be a better way to handle questions dealing with real estate. I do not know what the answer is, but I do know the procedure followed with 108 Taylor Street is not it. Perhaps, our town manager has it right. Letís reach out to other jurisdictions to see how they deal with disposing of realty questions. Years of contract presentation have taught, the odds of a satisfactory results diminish proportionally to the number of deciders. If it is this difficult to agree to a lease, selling town owned properties, with its complexities, will be a tough row to hoe, if not impossible.
Nuts

Colonial Beach, VA

#11 Apr 14, 2013
Bad Penny wrote:
Painful! Watching seven good people, with a sincere desire to the right thing, turned into something very difficult to watch. It was unanimous! Judging from the comments from Council, and from the group in the back of the room, there has got to be a better way to handle questions dealing with real estate. I do not know what the answer is, but I do know the procedure followed with 108 Taylor Street is not it. Perhaps, our town manager has it right. Letís reach out to other jurisdictions to see how they deal with disposing of realty questions. Years of contract presentation have taught, the odds of a satisfactory results diminish proportionally to the number of deciders. If it is this difficult to agree to a lease, selling town owned properties, with its complexities, will be a tough row to hoe, if not impossible.
If we had a Town Attorney and Town Manager worth their salt, it wouldn't be this painful.
Thought

Gloucester, VA

#12 Apr 14, 2013
Val is doing better all of the time. Unfortunately, she must rely on the guidance from our town attorney!
Just me

King George, VA

#13 Apr 15, 2013
Thought wrote:
Val is doing better all of the time. Unfortunately, she must rely on the guidance from our town attorney!
AND COUNCIL!!!!!

“Time for a change.”

Colonial Beach

#14 Apr 15, 2013
Speaking of Council, a big thank you to Mayor Ham for allowing an open format to discuss Res 24-13 (ceding environmental control). While I believed that the resolution should have been tabled until we had received the memorandum of understanding from the County and would have preferred to retain those services within the town, I do understand the budgetary constraints that are forcing these changes. As far as the negotiations on Taylor Street, I am not sure if the town attorney got it right. Seems to me, as one of the ladies on the Council suggested, that should have been dealt with in a closed session.
Anonymous

Richmond, VA

#15 Apr 17, 2013
Cutting the school off may be one of the biggest mistakes this town can make. You may be thinking this is a temporary help to the budget, but what then? You lose your biggest employer to the county which funnels tax dollars away from you. You lose all the people who live in and around the area who work there. The redistricting would be a mess, and there would be a loss in the sense of community behind the education in this town (please note CB is rated the best school in the Northern Neck). But the most important thing you lose is control. That's correct. The student all stay, the problems around the community with the students stay and you lose all control over it. Giving the school to WMC is a giantic mistake one of which many folks tend to overlook. We have one of the best schools in the area and I would think that is a prideful thing to have and want to have.

Prove me wrong.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#16 Apr 17, 2013
CB Newbie wrote:
Cutting the school off may be one of the biggest mistakes this town can make. You may be thinking this is a temporary help to the budget, but what then? You lose your biggest employer to the county which funnels tax dollars away from you. You lose all the people who live in and around the area who work there. The redistricting would be a mess, and there would be a loss in the sense of community behind the education in this town (please note CB is rated the best school in the Northern Neck). But the most important thing you lose is control. That's correct. The student all stay, the problems around the community with the students stay and you lose all control over it. Giving the school to WMC is a giantic mistake one of which many folks tend to overlook. We have one of the best schools in the area and I would think that is a prideful thing to have and want to have.
Prove me wrong.
Agree. Consolidation sounds good in theory, but it's not all roses. "Yeah, we'll save money" (never been proven), "CB schools suck" (not compared to others in the district, and throughout state)...As you pointed out, you lose control.. yes, all control of your say except for the 1 rep on the School Board. 4 against 1... don't like those odds. Be careful what you wish for.
Just Me

King George, VA

#17 Apr 18, 2013
smartassofficial wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree. Consolidation sounds good in theory, but it's not all roses. "Yeah, we'll save money" (never been proven), "CB schools suck" (not compared to others in the district, and throughout state)...As you pointed out, you lose control.. yes, all control of your say except for the 1 rep on the School Board. 4 against 1... don't like those odds. Be careful what you wish for.
Same thing goes with Police dispatch. Up front it has been pointed out that it will codt 100,000 MORE to consolidate PLUS losing control of operations. There are so many issues that have NOT been addressed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Good Eats in CB! 1 hr big tow 25
Mold in town hall 9 hr Pennicillin Factory 14
Kelseas Kitchen Fri Taxed2wice 14
unfair bidding law broken by colonial bbeach Fri business 27
add a word, drop a word (Apr '11) Fri WTCSRET 13,089
davis cab Fri getalife 2
what happened to the lil town i loved?? Fri fastandfurious 6
•••
•••
•••