proposed cultural center
low tide

King George, VA

#1 Jul 30, 2013
What happened to the proposed cultural center? I read an article in the Journal Press about a group from DC wanting to purchase the old police station on Irving Avenue. They wanted to renovate it and hold promotional events there for artists, designers, writers and intellectuals......

Does anyone know what came of this?
business friendly

Colonial Beach, VA

#2 Jul 30, 2013
low tide wrote:
What happened to the proposed cultural center? I read an article in the Journal Press about a group from DC wanting to purchase the old police station on Irving Avenue. They wanted to renovate it and hold promotional events there for artists, designers, writers and intellectuals......
Does anyone know what came of this?
they don't want that here in town so they chased them away the rather see it rot just like everything else on the beach Ghost Town on the Potomac
Beach Goddess

Colonial Beach, VA

#3 Jul 30, 2013
They offered 12,000 dollars on land that is worth much, much more than that. If the town is going to start selling water view property that cheap, I'm buying a chunk of it!
low tide

Gaithersburg, MD

#4 Jul 30, 2013
I heard one of he individuals in the group runs the "Aspen Institute" in Berlin. I for one would like to see more things of this nature in this town.....
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

#5 Jul 30, 2013
You need to deal only with slackers like Uncle Slayton and his Asian bride. They sell property that keeps coming back:) They call it the sale that keeps giving :)
(taken from Choctaw Bingo)
low tide

Gaithersburg, MD

#6 Jul 31, 2013
Is the group going to make another offer on the property?

“C. Green”

Since: Sep 12

Colonial Beach

#7 Jul 31, 2013
Only Mr. Curtin can answer that question. I do know he has tried. My guess is that the two sides are two far apart, which is a shame. It was a great opportunity and would have been wonderful to have a major renovation downtown or the tourism boost we would have gotten upon its completion.
Missed Opportunity

Gaithersburg, MD

#8 Aug 1, 2013
Bad Penny wrote:
Only Mr. Curtin can answer that question. I do know he has tried. My guess is that the two sides are two far apart, which is a shame. It was a great opportunity and would have been wonderful to have a major renovation downtown or the tourism boost we would have gotten upon its completion.
You are exactly right. Smart towns give incentives to attract businesses that will attract more businesses. They wanted a deal on a rundown old building and a tax break. It would have kickstarted the downtown core. Another missed opportunity. What a shame.
Sally Ann

Alexandria, VA

#9 Aug 29, 2013
Is this center DOA?
Intheknow

King George, VA

#10 Aug 29, 2013
Sally Ann wrote:
Is this center DOA?
Appears to be. They offered $17,000 for building and land which was appraised at $200,000 plus and never countered when town didn't accept. They wanted full ownership rights for chunk change plus tax breaks and they were building living quarters into the top floor. Not acceptable offer for citizens iIMHO.
In and out

King George, VA

#11 Aug 29, 2013
Now the proposed use for the building the council wants to GIVE AWAY is to a non-profit (who will pay no real estate taxes to the town) and will be used as a Home for Unwed Mothers. Mr curtain said the town has an image problem and thinks this will help our image! You can't make this stuff up!
Intheknow

King George, VA

#12 Aug 29, 2013
In and out wrote:
Now the proposed use for the building the council wants to GIVE AWAY is to a non-profit (who will pay no real estate taxes to the town) and will be used as a Home for Unwed Mothers. Mr curtain said the town has an image problem and thinks this will help our image! You can't make this stuff up!
are you speaking for council?
DAH

Richmond, VA

#13 Aug 30, 2013
In and out wrote:
Now the proposed use for the building the council wants to GIVE AWAY is to a non-profit (who will pay no real estate taxes to the town) and will be used as a Home for Unwed Mothers.
Why wouldn't they pay real estate taxes?
I have no problem with proposed use but believe the town's council should find an alternative that will allow renovation of the property, plus income to the town. Time for the town's attorney to propose an alternative to what she preseented recently. We already give away the property on Marshall by not charging a reasonable rent, as is true of the property on Hawthorn used by the Chamber of Commerce. How about the Chamber using the old police station for current price of rent and fix it up, while their current location can become a business that brings money into the town's treasury?? Just a thought!
Banana Slide

Washington, DC

#14 Aug 30, 2013
DAH wrote:
<quoted text> Why wouldn't they pay real estate taxes?
I have no problem with proposed use but believe the town's council should find an alternative that will allow renovation of the property, plus income to the town. Time for the town's attorney to propose an alternative to what she preseented recently. We already give away the property on Marshall by not charging a reasonable rent, as is true of the property on Hawthorn used by the Chamber of Commerce. How about the Chamber using the old police station for current price of rent and fix it up, while their current location can become a business that brings money into the town's treasury?? Just a thought!
Interesting thought.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
add a word, drop a word 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr -Prince- 4,395
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) 1 hr -Prince- 4,913
add a word, drop a word (Apr '11) 2 hr -Prince- 16,715
Low income housing 5 hr Mad max 18
paris cowboy =music (Apr '14) 10 hr Honest Babe 537
A to Z of song titles (Apr '14) 10 hr Honest Babe 512
A to Z: names of music artists (Apr '14) 10 hr Honest Babe 563
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Colonial Beach Mortgages