Work to close Colonial Beach bridge f...

Work to close Colonial Beach bridge for months

There are 21 comments on the Fredericksburg.com story from Nov 3, 2012, titled Work to close Colonial Beach bridge for months. In it, Fredericksburg.com reports that:

The Ridge Road bridge outside Colonial Beach has been closed for a rehabilitation project, the Virginia Department of Transportation announced Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fredericksburg.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
John W

King William, VA

#1 Nov 3, 2012
Great timing. Do ou think there will be any delays due to WEATHER
Clueless

Centreville, VA

#2 Nov 3, 2012
John W wrote:
So what would you propose, work on it from Memorial Day till Labor Day, as opposed to working on it from November to February?
coffee man

Gloucester, VA

#3 Nov 3, 2012
John W wrote:
I see a lot of thought came out of your remark before you posted it.... I will make sure VDOT gets in contact with you before they do anything around here again.. SOME PEOPLE !!!
Rainman

King George, VA

#4 Nov 3, 2012
If I am coming from King George, is it shorter to follow the detour or would I be better off going down Rt 3 to Oak Grove and taking a left to get to CB?
Sad

King George, VA

#5 Nov 3, 2012
Rainman wrote:
If I am coming from King George, is it shorter to follow the detour or would I be better off going down Rt 3 to Oak Grove and taking a left to get to CB?
Shorter route is turning right on Cedar Hill just past Willey's go to the end of road, left on Pamona to flashing light on Rt. 205 at Hall's.
John G

La Plata, MD

#6 Nov 3, 2012
Rainman wrote:
That is not a shorter route, more scenic though.
AT lAST

Sterling Heights, MI

#7 Nov 4, 2012
BIG JOKE once again super planning colonial beach. The detour is full of curvy roads that are barely two lanes, what happens now that its dark out for most folks coming home, you can't see the road and heaven forbid if dear run out, WHAT A DISASTER!! WAY TO GO COLONIAL BEACH. BIG JOKE THIS TOWN IS NOTHING BUT A JOKE.
Cindy Lou Who

Colonial Beach, VA

#8 Nov 4, 2012
AT lAST wrote:
BIG JOKE once again super planning colonial beach. The detour is full of curvy roads that are barely two lanes, what happens now that its dark out for most folks coming home, you can't see the road and heaven forbid if dear run out, WHAT A DISASTER!! WAY TO GO COLONIAL BEACH. BIG JOKE THIS TOWN IS NOTHING BUT A JOKE.
1. It is NOT Colonial Beach doing the work or making the decisions.
2. You do have a choice to go 301 to Route 3 and then 205 into town from the East, but then you would complain of that being too long wound't you?
3. You are an idiot.
4. Go away.
Get a Grip

Alexandria, VA

#9 Nov 4, 2012
AT lAST wrote:
WAY TO GO COLONIAL BEACH. BIG JOKE THIS TOWN IS NOTHING BUT A JOKE.
VDOT makes these decisions, idiot.
Business

Washington, DC

#10 Nov 4, 2012
Do you think Jimmy Wilkerson would have allowed it to happen anytime other than his slow and closed season? Its best to do it now for most local businesses. Is it a pain? Yes. Will there be bad accidents on alternate routes? Most certainly, unfortunately. At the end of the day, will we have better infrastructure coming into town? Yes we will.
The Bridge

King William, VA

#11 Nov 5, 2012
I attented 2 of the meetings and wrote questions to VDOT that I had and was told they would call or email with answers. Never received any replies. At the last meeting I ask why and was told by the young lady from VDOT that they do not reply to questions like mine and this is a what the people of Colonial Beach wanted. Funny thing I saw very few residents from Colonial Beach at either meeting, but "this is what the people of Colonial Beach wanted." So that your answer right from VDOT.
Seriously---

Moyock, NC

#12 Nov 5, 2012
Please DON'T Use Cedar Hill Road as your detour. That road is dangerous on a good day. It is narrow, curvy, full of deer and other animals, tractors, and already full of people who dont know how to drive on their side of the road on blind turns and blind hills and Speeding is horrible. One person has already lost their dog because someone was going 50 MPH and couldn't stop in time... Seriously!!!! And Pomona is really bad with the curves, people walking and riding bikes. At lease Longfield is wider and a little safer... With the increased traffic on Cedar there will be no pavement left when the bridge work is completed, it is crumbling on the sides now... Only good thing about going through there is getting to see the cows...
John G

Flower Mound, TX

#13 Nov 5, 2012
The Bridge wrote:
I attented 2 of the meetings and wrote questions to VDOT that I had and was told they would call or email with answers. Never received any replies. At the last meeting I ask why and was told by the young lady from VDOT that they do not reply to questions like mine and this is a what the people of Colonial Beach wanted. Funny thing I saw very few residents from Colonial Beach at either meeting, but "this is what the people of Colonial Beach wanted." So that your answer right from VDOT.
2012 and still believing in GovernmentÂ…God bless you.
HB Rules

Virginia Beach, VA

#14 Nov 5, 2012
the detour is the best safest route. the time of year was picked because of traffic patterns.

Since: Oct 08

King George, VA

#15 Nov 5, 2012
The Only problem I have seen so far is that the first sign (with a right turn arrow) is just before Round Hill Road.

I have been told repeatedly that people are turning onto Round Hill and following it through to Route 3 and looking for Colonial Beach. These are apparently out-of-towners coming to visit.

That first sign should have been placed after Round Hill Road.

Noticed one gentleman in a white van cruising down 205 without a care in the world... until he rounded that last turn just before the bridge... nose of the van went down and he threw his hands in the air in disbelief... don't know how he missed all those signs that started back by Rt 218?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#16 Nov 5, 2012
Masterscout wrote:
The Only problem I have seen so far is that the first sign (with a right turn arrow) is just before Round Hill Road.
I have been told repeatedly that people are turning onto Round Hill and following it through to Route 3 and looking for Colonial Beach. These are apparently out-of-towners coming to visit.
That first sign should have been placed after Round Hill Road.
Noticed one gentleman in a white van cruising down 205 without a care in the world... until he rounded that last turn just before the bridge... nose of the van went down and he threw his hands in the air in disbelief... don't know how he missed all those signs that started back by Rt 218?
VDOT has been contacted about the signage on that side that is confusing out-of-towners and locals that haven't been paying attention to current events. They have said they're gonna try and make the signs a little more easy to follow. In particular, it's been suggested the signs that say "Colonial Beach and Local Traffic only" be changed to say "local traffic only". That should help those that don't know that they must turn on to Longfield to get to CB.
John G

Flower Mound, TX

#17 Nov 5, 2012
Tim Curtin wrote:
<quoted text>
VDOT has been contacted about the signage on that side that is confusing out-of-towners and locals that haven't been paying attention to current events. They have said they're gonna try and make the signs a little more easy to follow. In particular, it's been suggested the signs that say "Colonial Beach and Local Traffic only" be changed to say "local traffic only". That should help those that don't know that they must turn on to Longfield to get to CB.
http://www.military-videos.com/pop_up.php...

Maybe this sign would get there attention.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#18 Nov 5, 2012
John G wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.military-videos.com/pop_up.php...
Maybe this sign would get there attention.
Does someone need to have a nice glass of warm milk, take their PTSD meds and crawl in between their Buzz Lightyear sheets and get some night-night?

If you're still in town, hope to see you tomorrow.
John G

Flower Mound, TX

#19 Nov 5, 2012
Tim Curtin wrote:
<quoted text>
Does someone need to have a nice glass of warm milk, take their PTSD meds and crawl in between their Buzz Lightyear sheets and get some night-night?
If you're still in town, hope to see you tomorrow.
Safely tucked away in Colorado celebrating Guy Fawkes Day.
AT lAST

Sterling Heights, MI

#20 Nov 6, 2012
Cindy Lou Who wrote:
<quoted text>
1. It is NOT Colonial Beach doing the work or making the decisions.
2. You do have a choice to go 301 to Route 3 and then 205 into town from the East, but then you would complain of that being too long wound't you?
3. You are an idiot.
4. Go away.
WOW I think your an idiot. If you were smart you would know Colonial Beach did have input into when this would be done. I know ALL about 301 to Route 3 then 205, anyone knows this way, your not very smart. And finally YOU ARE THE REAL IDIOT. I pray your one of the ones having to use this Route everyday, that sure would make me happy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Low income housing (Apr '16) 13 hr Veteran9000 33
Drugs 13 hr Veteran9000 2
Neverend Tue Oak grove 2
add a word, drop a word 2 (Mar '12) Tue Princess Hey 5,575
add a word, drop a word (Apr '11) Tue Princess Hey 17,896
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) Tue Princess Hey 6,453
We want to buy your house Jan 10 Silas 2

Colonial Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance