Jaden

King George, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

We always hear about the bad things that happen with guns involved. Why don't we hear stories like this:

The Armed Citizen January 29, 2013
1/29/2013

Jack and Linda Dillon were roused from their sleep at approximately 2:45 a.m. when they realized someone had just broken into their home. The intruder gained entry through an unlocked window. He allegedly entered the home with intent to steal electronics. Linda called 911 as Jack retrieved a firearm and confronted the 29-year-old intruder in their living room. Jack fired when the man lunged at him. The intruder's wound proved fatal.(The Morning Journal, Elyria, OH, 10/20/12)

“Annoying and won't go away....”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Gun control in todays society is well intentioned, but very mis-guided. The only facts that you need to know are these:
- Criminals do not acquire guns legally. Requiring all potential gun owners to have a background check is common sense and should not impact non-criminals.
- Sanity checks should also be performed before a gun is sold. See above.
- 97% of violent gun-related crimes involve hand guns, not "assault rifles".
- Criminalizing assault rifles, high capacity magazines and the such does not remove the ones already sold for the past 40 years from the streets. Even if they were outlawed, do you really think law-abiding citizens will give them up? No, they will be hidden.
- Only 0.2% of guns acquired at a gun show are private sales that have no background checks. Demonizing gun shows is not right.
- Every sane, legal citizen in the US should have the option to defend themselves in any way they see fit that does not affect other citizens around them (except the criminal; themself).
Jaden

King George, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

here's another one, won't see it in the newspapers, you might like Bill_P:

Armed Citizen Extra:

Jack Thompson estimates it was three seconds between his back door being kicked in until his bedroom door began opening, and he started shooting. "It's terrifying when you see somebody in your bedroom door," said Thompson, 78, of Brewers. Thompson got off three shots with his Walther .32-caliber semiautomatic about 4 a.m. Monday when the pistol jammed. "Then I was in trouble," Thompson said. He grabbed the loaded 12-gauge shotgun that always lies on his dresser and fired once. "All I could see was the silhouette of him coming in the door," he said of the intruder. Deputy sheriffs found Mitchell Saddoris, 22, of Kirskey lying in a pool of blood on the back porch of Jack and Judy Thompson's home on Oak Grove Church Road minutes later. He had a pistol wound to the abdomen and had taken a shotgun blast to his shoulder. He was going in and out of consciousness. Sheriff Kevin Byars said investigators believe a second person was with Saddoris at the home, but escaped. "Mr. Thompson did exactly what he was allowed to do," Byars said. "There won't be any kind of criminal charges against Mr. Thompson, because he was definitely defending his home." Byars believes the shooting was a burglary gone wrong. The intruders didn't realize the Thompsons had slept with their windows open, and Thompson had time to get his pistol when the couple heard talking and footsteps. Marshall sheriff's detective Matt Hilbrecht said investigators tried to interview Saddoris at Marshall County Hospital, but emergency room staff had put a tube down his throat. Afterward, Saddoris was transferred to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, Tenn., where he was in critical condition and having surgery. Hilbrecht said Saddoris would face robbery, burglary and possibly other charges once released from the hospital, if he survives. "I'm sorry, but I had no other choice," Thompson said of shooting Saddoris, and added, "That's all that saved my life, I guess, was having a weapon." (The Paducah Sun, Paducah, KY, 3/20/12)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

You are correct. I do like that. What would have happened if he had not been armed? It would be a much harder story to hear if this 78 year old man and his wife were killed in their sleep or killed becuase they could defend themselves in the course of a robbery.......
Observer

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

I think you should have all the guns you want . Just keep them inside for the safety of your family and the public.
Hunters, you have to eat what you kill. Shooting range BIG GUNS, should be like bowling, rent the guns like you can shoes at the bowling alley.
I love the old Westrns where everyone wants to be a quick draw.to prove imself a man.
HB Rules

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

I control mine very well, normally hit what I am shoting.
-Seriously-

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

I do a Great Job of Controlling my Guns and will continue to Control my guns - I too normally hit what I aim at!!! I will continue to protect myself, my family, and my property. I will use the same control with any person dumb enough to break into my home - I will control how you leave.

I do agree with back ground checks on the person and the fire arm - I don't want to own a gun used to commit a crime.

I do Not agree with anyone telling me what they think I need or don't need to own. That is my choice and mine alone!!!

Do something to control the criminals - NOT the Law abiding citizens!!!
Felix Penobscot

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

-Seriously- wrote:
I do a Great Job of Controlling my Guns and will continue to Control my guns - I too normally hit what I aim at!!! I will continue to protect myself, my family, and my property. I will use the same control with any person dumb enough to break into my home - I will control how you leave.
I do agree with back ground checks on the person and the fire arm - I don't want to own a gun used to commit a crime.
I do Not agree with anyone telling me what they think I need or don't need to own. That is my choice and mine alone!!!
Do something to control the criminals - NOT the Law abiding citizens!!!
I agree with this post and all of the above posts.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

I'm a pretty liberal guy yet tend to fall in line with gun owners on this one. I'm not a "gun person" so I don't quite understand a lot of the cultural aspects of the love of guns. While the obvious recourse would be to ban "assault style" weapons, the retorts, as stated by many above, are that only criminals would have the guns. I happen to agree.
So, while I guess I'm certainly split on how we can prevent gun violence, maybe a few gun owners/enthusiasts can answer a few questions.(And I am not being a smartass)
First, we have restrictions on the first amendment, so would banning assault style weapons, magazine clips, etc. truly be a violation of the 2nd Amendment?
Second, would background checks really inconvenience you as a gun owner/enthusiast?
Third,(and this one is kinda' tongue in cheek) but do you really think that if the government wanted to take away your guns that you defending your home would be sufficient against say a group of military snipers, trained professionals?(Only reason I ask is because there are many out there who honestly believe that one day they will have to battle it out with the cops or the feds over gun ownership)
As I said, I really do fall in the middle of this issue. I could really care less about the 2nd amendment as it is far down the list of concerns for me personally. I care about my kids more than the Constitution... Having said that, I know that many people are passionate about guns and I am honestly curious as to what drives that passion, feelings, opinions.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

smartassofficial wrote:
I'm a pretty liberal guy yet tend to fall in line with gun owners on this one. I'm not a "gun person" so I don't quite understand a lot of the cultural aspects of the love of guns. While the obvious recourse would be to ban "assault style" weapons, the retorts, as stated by many above, are that only criminals would have the guns. I happen to agree.
So, while I guess I'm certainly split on how we can prevent gun violence, maybe a few gun owners/enthusiasts can answer a few questions.(And I am not being a smartass)
First, we have restrictions on the first amendment, so would banning assault style weapons, magazine clips, etc. truly be a violation of the 2nd Amendment?
Second, would background checks really inconvenience you as a gun owner/enthusiast?
Third,(and this one is kinda' tongue in cheek) but do you really think that if the government wanted to take away your guns that you defending your home would be sufficient against say a group of military snipers, trained professionals?(Only reason I ask is because there are many out there who honestly believe that one day they will have to battle it out with the cops or the feds over gun ownership)
As I said, I really do fall in the middle of this issue. I could really care less about the 2nd amendment as it is far down the list of concerns for me personally. I care about my kids more than the Constitution... Having said that, I know that many people are passionate about guns and I am honestly curious as to what drives that passion, feelings, opinions.
1. What good, or what difference would banning assault style weapons of larger mags make? There are still millions of then (literally) out there. The criminals or less-desirables will either still get them, or already have them. I can change out a 10-round mag in my AR or my Sig in appx 2 seconds. Will that save a life, or prevent other mass killings? It really is not a 2nd Amendment issue as much as a common sense issue. My Ruger Mini-14 can shoot more ammo, just as fast and just as deadly. It just doesn't look as "scary".

2. I do not know of any reponsible gun owner who is opposed to background checks. No, they are NOT an inconvenience. I consider them similar in nature to a pat-down by the TSA. Not fun, but part of life. Where I DO draw the line though is having to register them with the Gov't.

3. No. That is just plain silly. The folks who really believe that also wear tin-foil hats and live in compounds in the woods. I worry about lack of police protection in this day and age of budget cuts, and protecting my home and family.
HB Rules

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

smartassofficial wrote:
Answer to #1 - only cosmetic changes to weapon and the pres and his news media do not understand or dont want to tell the truth.

Answer to #2 - Background checks are performed. When the weapon enters the market for the first time the manufacturer/dealer performs a check on the individual buying the weapon. Only a second hand sale does not get a background check. Has the news told you that?

Answer to #3 - Yes there was a group of citizenz who turned around an invading army using there firearms. It occured about 240 years ago. Can it happen again? One man or even a city against the Fed govt forces, short answer is no. Long answer is yes this govt could fail against an uprising. You turn a city or state uprising of citizens with their arms who are slaughtered by federal forces and I suspect you would have a 50 state uprising against a federal force that would fall apart, plus half of the service would not fire on its own citizens in a mass uprising.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

The Bill P... I tend to agree with you, particularly your answer to #3. I too think that only a small "fringe" of society believe that the ATF are going to bust down your door and take your guns.
I have another question: With all of the recent violence, I would like to purchase a gun for protection. Any suggestions? I have children in the house so that is my first concern.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

smartassofficial wrote:
The Bill P... I tend to agree with you, particularly your answer to #3. I too think that only a small "fringe" of society believe that the ATF are going to bust down your door and take your guns.
I have another question: With all of the recent violence, I would like to purchase a gun for protection. Any suggestions? I have children in the house so that is my first concern.
A cheap Mossberg 500 shotgun is a great home-protection plan. You have to balance having it readily available (i.e. next to your bed with no trigger locks) and having it fully protected (locked up or with trigger locks installed) though. On one hand, you want (need) it possibly immediately, but on the other hand, you have children around. If you teach them early to respect firearms, then having it more readily available then in a safe may not be the biggest issue. It is proven that when children are exposed to guns at an early age and taught to respect them for what they do (or could) do, gun violence and accidents are GREATLY reduced in those areas. I am by no means advocating having it readily available to childern though!

Barring that, a handgun is good. You can keep that in a locked drawer next to your bed. I have one I carry every day, and one next to the bed. I also keep various weapons around the house. No kids here. They are hidden very carefully and within easy access to me only. No, I am not a gun nut or a survivalist. I merely had an incident earlier on in life happen to me that made me aware how things can go bad/wrong very quickly when someone breaks into your house or if you are not defending yourself.

The best defence is self-awareness and the sound a shotgun makes when you rack it. Shooting someone or even drawing a weapon is ALWAYS the last choice. Hope this helps in some way.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Thanks Bill... appreciate it!
TownCrier

King George, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

The_Bill_P wrote:
<quoted text>
A cheap Mossberg 500 shotgun is a great home-protection plan. You have to balance having it readily available (i.e. next to your bed with no trigger locks) and having it fully protected (locked up or with trigger locks installed) though. On one hand, you want (need) it possibly immediately, but on the other hand, you have children around. If you teach them early to respect firearms, then having it more readily available then in a safe may not be the biggest issue. It is proven that when children are exposed to guns at an early age and taught to respect them for what they do (or could) do, gun violence and accidents are GREATLY reduced in those areas. I am by no means advocating having it readily available to childern though!
Barring that, a handgun is good. You can keep that in a locked drawer next to your bed. I have one I carry every day, and one next to the bed. I also keep various weapons around the house. No kids here. They are hidden very carefully and within easy access to me only. No, I am not a gun nut or a survivalist. I merely had an incident earlier on in life happen to me that made me aware how things can go bad/wrong very quickly when someone breaks into your house or if you are not defending yourself.
The best defence is self-awareness and the sound a shotgun makes when you rack it. Shooting someone or even drawing a weapon is ALWAYS the last choice. Hope this helps in some way.
Very wise advice. Agree with everything you say. I also keep guns close at hand in various places of my home. Also have a permit to carry. No children around anymore but when my children were young they were taught about guns and hunting. I never had a problem with any of them handling firearms in a dangerous manner. They were given a single shot 12 guage at any early age to learn on before advancing to a riffle. Because of owning their own gun which was locked up when parents were not home, they never were curious about getting into parents firearms. They advanced with parental instruction and oversite as they progressed in their education and handling. They are all gun owners as adults. I believe everyone should be able to protect themselves because law enforcement does not respond quickly enough to save a life during a breakin.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Colonial Beach Forum right now

Search the Colonial Beach Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
do you believe the E-Coli timeline? 21 min wtcsret 4
E-Coli in drinking water 41 min wtcsret 61
Kelseas Kitchen 45 min When 2
Chief Legg 59 min Ontheknow 43
Lawn Sprinklers (Jun '11) 7 hr wtcsret 8
Town Schools 7 hr Not Really 109
Potomac Renaissance vs. St. John's 11 hr King George Girl 16
WTVR news from CBVA 11 hr DAH 3
Papa johns Wed Ray 24