First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sassy Saddie

Colonial Beach, VA

#1 Apr 15, 2013
Has our Town Council ever heard of such a thing as a dress code. Most of our council members dress appropriately for meetings but there were a couple who were way to causual for a business meeting. How can you ever begin to be taken seriously when you look like you just left the beach or the bar? Come on folks our Town derserves better.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#2 Apr 15, 2013
Sassy..part of the problem with past Councils was that they thought they were running New York City, not a town of 3500. This is a small town... let up on them a bit. If there is a meeting with investors, dress up for it. But a monthly meeting that is attended by 20 citizens... no big deal with being comfy.

“Bleeding Fingers”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

#3 Apr 15, 2013
smartassofficial wrote:
Sassy..part of the problem with past Councils was that they thought they were running New York City, not a town of 3500. This is a small town... let up on them a bit. If there is a meeting with investors, dress up for it. But a monthly meeting that is attended by 20 citizens... no big deal with being comfy.
Add/drop is doing fine, so I will come here and drop a line :)
Remember the Pace commercials and New York City? Never trust someone who looks like New York City! I'm ordering up a set of Blue camos to be buried in so I am not confused w/NYC when I get where I am going. I am expecting a more southern working environment also :) If the top dog has a sense of humor I might as RWH (Ray Wylie Hubbard) would say, "Exceed expectations" :)
Off to lunch :)
Sassy Saddie

Irvington, VA

#4 Apr 15, 2013
Sa> Official: You are right that this is not New Yoprk City. But do we want our Council to look any wrose that they already are. Comfy is fine in the right setting. I have elected these officials and I personally think they need to dress more appropriately.

Location hidden

#5 Apr 15, 2013
Agree to disagree. One of the most controversial Council Members we've ever had wore nice suits to every meeting. He was rude, angry and the sense of entitlement he displayed could be seen from a mile away. One of the most effective, thoughtful, and intelligent members we've ever always looked like he just rolled out of bed.
Thanks

King George, VA

#6 Apr 15, 2013
Sassy Saddie wrote:
Has our Town Council ever heard of such a thing as a dress code. Most of our council members dress appropriately for meetings but there were a couple who were way to causual for a business meeting. How can you ever begin to be taken seriously when you look like you just left the beach or the bar? Come on folks our Town derserves better.
That would be the Mayor in his shorts, crocks and straw hat and he did just leave a bar. Just be glad he isn't half crocked on meeting days. Mr. Edwards was in shorts also.
Fresca

Alexandria, VA

#7 Apr 16, 2013
Thanks wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be the Mayor in his shorts, crocks and straw hat and he did just leave a bar. Just be glad he isn't half crocked on meeting days. Mr. Edwards was in shorts also.
Oh paleeeese, get a grip.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#8 Apr 16, 2013
Memo to Ham and Edwards. Put on a pair of khakis, some loafers, and a golf shirt at least. Is that so damn hard? You're running a business with 3000 clients. They elected you because they expect you to do the job well and protect their investment. Dress the part. Your audience is not the 20 people in attendance, it's every single one of the people you represent. Be respectful of them.
What is this "New York City" nonsense that others are spouting? If that's supposed to be the opposite of backwards ass, corrupt, ridiculous, wasteful, unsophisticated, good ol' boy, lawless Colonial Beach, then you need a good strong shot of New York City. You are what you appear to be. If you're the mayor of the town and you lead the meeting in shorts and a straw hat, then that is who you are and it is what Colonial Beach is.
Fresca

Alexandria, VA

#9 Apr 16, 2013
Clean Up Your Town wrote:
Memo to Ham and Edwards. Put on a pair of khakis, some loafers, and a golf shirt at least. Is that so damn hard? You're running a business with 3000 clients. They elected you because they expect you to do the job well and protect their investment. Dress the part. Your audience is not the 20 people in attendance, it's every single one of the people you represent. Be respectful of them.
What is this "New York City" nonsense that others are spouting? If that's supposed to be the opposite of backwards ass, corrupt, ridiculous, wasteful, unsophisticated, good ol' boy, lawless Colonial Beach, then you need a good strong shot of New York City. You are what you appear to be. If you're the mayor of the town and you lead the meeting in shorts and a straw hat, then that is who you are and it is what Colonial Beach is.
If this is all u have to complain about, u must have a good life.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#10 Apr 16, 2013
Fresca wrote:
<quoted text>
If this is all u have to complain about, u must have a good life.
I do have a good life. Thanks for inquiring.

Our public officials will either live up or down to our expectations. I expect more than what we have been getting. If that's a complaint, then guilty as charged.
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

#11 Apr 16, 2013
<quoted text>
I do have a good life. Thanks for inquiring.
Our public officials will either live up or down to our expectations. I expect more than what we have been getting. If that's a complaint, then guilty as charged.
In order to make that change you will need artillery or larger numbers :)
Re: Pace http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Av4mhZ3Do...

Re: Artillery: Explicit (What do you expect from a marine :)
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Av4mhZ3Do...
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

#12 Apr 16, 2013
Right On

Falls Church, VA

#13 Apr 17, 2013
Discussion is useless. The people we elct we expect to act like adults and demonstrate threy deserve respect. Until those who don't understand the bad mark they make get their act together and dress appropriately, we do not respect them. would not hire them if they applied for a job if that is how they dress!!!
DAH

Falls Church, VA

#14 Apr 17, 2013
<quoted text>
I expect more than what we have been getting. If that's a complaint, then guilty as charged.
Agree.
Fact

Falls Church, VA

#15 Apr 17, 2013
smartassofficial wrote:
This is a small town... let up on them a bit. If there is a meeting with investors, dress up for it. But a monthly meeting that is attended by 20 citizens... no big deal with being comfy.
I disagree. Your values are lower than mine. I expect anyone in a leadership roll to take pride in themselves and to represent their constituents appropriately...no hats, no shorts, no t-shirts, et.c when attending meetings in town or elsewhere. It is embarrassing.
Sassy Saddie

Colonial Beach, VA

#16 Apr 17, 2013
Thnaks to all who commented. Bottom line is dress the part or is you dress for success.

Location hidden

#17 Apr 17, 2013
Fact wrote:
<quoted text> I disagree. Your values are lower than mine. I expect anyone in a leadership roll to take pride in themselves and to represent their constituents appropriately...no hats, no shorts, no t-shirts, et.c when attending meetings in town or elsewhere. It is embarrassing.
Sorry you disagree.. but as far as I am concerned the dress code issue is a brush fire while the entire forrest is burning down.
Big Ed

King William, VA

#18 Apr 18, 2013
sup the fact that someone doesn't wear a suit and a suit and tie to a council meeting does not bother me a bit I don't even own a sup the fact that someone doesn't wear a suit and tie to a council meeting does not bother me a bit I don't even own a suit
Sassy Saddie

Irvington, VA

#19 Apr 18, 2013
Then you need to man up and get one.
Real Man

Gloucester, VA

#20 Apr 18, 2013
Please get a mirror in your home and look at yourself before you go to a Council meeting. Look at what we are seeing. If you don't have any respect for yourself, have a little respect for your position and your citizens. The days of flaunting your old fat out of shape body is over. Put on a pair of big boy pants. You guys look like the rejects from Wal Mart.
Ladies you look great.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) 1 hr WTCSRET 1,533
Where is the outrage over children being shot 11 hr Scrooge 1
Crabs Coming to Colonial Beach 11 hr Scrooge 2
County Supervisor Overheard 14 hr cbcitizen 30
Council AXES Police Vehicles Sat Scrooge 32
what would you like to see at Kelseas Kitchen Sat Karma 16
Medical Center Dec 19 BeachGoer 19
Colonial Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web