n the town

Surry, VA

#43 Jan 11, 2013
Just heard junior was demoted. Wonder whaat supercop thinks now that daddy ain't around to hold his hand.
Beach time

Gloucester, VA

#44 Jan 11, 2013
yea right wrote:
Didn't they just vote on the By-Laws for council members that indicated if you abstain thet a explaination would be given?
Yes, they do.

"If a member chooses to abstain, the member shall state the reason for abstaining for the record."
freda

King George, VA

#46 Jan 11, 2013
Hank the Yank wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa....hold on there lets get one thing straight....there is presently only ONE town council member in place that won an election.....everyone one else was unopposed and apointed, historically when the OTHERS ran out....so therefore, esentially appointed......REALLY! this town is the Laughing Stock! Economic Development....why would any business owner other than a drug dealer even consider starting a business here????? Capt. and I use that term loosely, let alone chief (ha ha ha) is a joke.....welcome to Colonial Beach where if you can't do your job your either hidden in a back room, and still paid or you whine to some polical entity that knows NOTHING about law enforcement and you fire..... oh excuse me, ask for someones resignation (under duress) and you appoint the LOSER as intrim chief!......wonder how much this will cost the taxpayers....severance, search and on and on and on.....we cant even get our utilities taken care of yet (water/sewer) yet this council, less than 1 month in office finds the solution in ruining someones career...good god you people are pathetic!
THERE IS CERTAINLY MORE TO THIS STORY THAN ANYONE REALLY KNOWS YET I'M SURE!!!!
You sir are an ass. A dumb one at best,
readallaboutit

King George, VA

#48 Jan 11, 2013
Colonial Beach police chief resigns

BY REBECCA J. BARNABI

FOR THE FREE LANCE–STAR

The Colonial Beach Town Council is searching for a new police chief.

Chief Kenneth Blevins Sr. resigned at the council’s regular meeting Thursday night, effective immediately. Council members discussed the matter during closed session and announced the resignation afterward.

They did not give a reason for the resignation. Blevins was not available after the closed session and could not be reached for comment Friday.

Capt. William Seay will act as interim chief until a replacement is named.

Blevins served as chief since January 2011 and had been a member of the town force since 2002. He previously worked with the sheriff’s offices in Fredericksburg and Stafford, Spotsylvania and Orange counties.

The council also has one vacant seat, the result of Councilman Mike Ham being elected mayor in November. A replacement is expected to be appointed later this month.

In other business, the council unanimously agreed to change its committee meetings to encourage more participation by residents. The council agreed to hold work sessions once a month, designate a council member as the contact for each committee and look for citizen volunteers to join the panels.

Tommy Edwards was named the contact for public safety, Tim Curtin for economic development, Wanda Goforth for finance, Jim Chiarello for administration and Gary Seeber for public works.

“I think it’s a great idea,” Chiarello said.“This is an opportunity to get back involved with the community.”

The council also agreed to hold a special meeting at 4:30 p.m. Jan. 30 to get public input on water and sewer connections for tax-exempt entities, and it approved a two-year contract with an option for a third to allow a Jet Ski contest each summer. This year’s event is scheduled for July 19–21.
CB citizen

King George, VA

#49 Jan 11, 2013
I have no idea where information is coming from but there is no news that Jr has been demoted...another rumor being spread in this town. If you want to say there is an issue dont look at the police look at your selfs there are so many rumors spread in this place it is not even funny
yea right

Tappahannock, VA

#50 Jan 12, 2013
Where is Frank Delano when you need him, as a reporter he at least got the information out. Current local reporters take lip service and don't investigate into the facts. It may cost a little to get the documents, like employment contract, termination agreement but it puts the puzzle together. If severance pay is given for resigning immediately then something is being covered up or it was a witch hunt already planned before the meeting. At minimum it establishes the 2 sides of the story and tries to find the middle.
Hank The Yank

Urbanna, VA

#51 Jan 12, 2013
Well Freda.....every one has an "A" hole and an opinion and obviously you are entitled to both....moving along CB Cit. and Yea Right....you all are on track and I totally agree!
There are Va. Codes that govern the legislative actions and operational protocol for local government. The council has every right to go into "closed session".....
§ 2.2-3711. Closed meetings authorized for certain limited purposes.
A. Public bodies may hold closed meetings only for the following purposes:
1. Discussion, consideration, or interviews of prospective candidates for employment; assignment, appointment, promotion, performance, demotion, salaries, disciplining, or resignation of specific public officers, appointees, or employees of any public body; and evaluation of performance of departments or schools of public institutions of higher education where such evaluation will necessarily involve discussion of the performance of specific individuals......
But my question follows along with the request for "why" There are certain formats for handling these types of issues and what concerns me is that "once again" CB council goes off half cocked and reacts without ALL of the info.....How do you do something like this with out meeting???? And there are Va Codes that govern that as well....
Under Virginia FOIA, a "meeting" is any gathering of three or more members of a public body (or a quorum, if a quorum is less than three) to discuss or transact business of the public body. The law applies to all discussions, deliberations, and formal action.
Now.....how do resolutions get developed and drawn up for ratification and signature PRIOR to a signed resignation being accepted???? Can this be done with out a MEETING.....HMMMM....and email or telephonic conversations can be constituted as a "meeting" IF decisions are made and votes whether taken or implied are discussed.....
The word in town hall is No-One knew this was happening until it occured on Thursday.....So again how did these docs get drawn up and developed. What are the grounds and also....Why was Capt. Seay on Adm Leave or Suspension????
Now I know that some of you will find this detail more than a regular TOPIX post but these are legal facts and this is what this is all about......No one disagrees that there were issues with the "Blevins Boys" but for the towns sake can we please do things with some rationale thinking....how in the hell does something like this occur within 21 days of office.....really! Only a handful of the town coucil has even attended the orientation for local government officials in VML. So essentially we now have entered into suspicios activity not only in the PD but town council as well....again my comments how much is this gonna cost the taxpayers in colonial beach?

“Tidewater 614-1835”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

#52 Jan 12, 2013
Very good post.
Sometime I'll tell you about boiler plate. Remember your talking about 3.5k with most dis-interested.(they know the drill and understand the mechanics)
You work the job in serial order (to vice cc) and you never break the plane. You have the plan on ice from previous situations. Your JYD learned this in FOIA 101 1st year.
I think you have a future here unless your just a banana eating monkey that got lucky :)

Since: Oct 12

United States

#53 Jan 12, 2013
Hank the Yank wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa....hold on there lets get one thing straight....there is presently only ONE town council member in place that won an election.....everyone one else was unopposed and apointed, historically when the OTHERS ran out....so therefore, esentially appointed......REALLY! this town is the Laughing Stock! Economic Development....why would any business owner other than a drug dealer even consider starting a business here????? Capt. and I use that term loosely, let alone chief (ha ha ha) is a joke.....welcome to Colonial Beach where if you can't do your job your either hidden in a back room, and still paid or you whine to some polical entity that knows NOTHING about law enforcement and you fire..... oh excuse me, ask for someones resignation (under duress) and you appoint the LOSER as intrim chief!......wonder how much this will cost the taxpayers....severance, search and on and on and on.....we cant even get our utilities taken care of yet (water/sewer) yet this council, less than 1 month in office finds the solution in ruining someones career...good god you people are pathetic!
THERE IS CERTAINLY MORE TO THIS STORY THAN ANYONE REALLY KNOWS YET I'M SURE!!!!
. You are right on some accounts. As for the utilities, they have been like this for over 30 years. To all the come here, it ain't Kansas, Toto. Pathetic, I think not. We just know what's been going on for years. It hasn't changed and as far I am concern, they never will. This is a small community not a HOA. If we, the community can't get it done, which we haven't maybe it time for the county to step in. But hey, that's my opinion, and who cares about opinions on this town. Wake up and smell the coffee, this town has been done for over 30 + years. And not even come here's can save it. And on some circumstances they have hindered it by greasing the hands of the politicians. If you believe me, ask some of the former council people and mayors. And you wonder why nothing get done!

“Tidewater 614-1835”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

#54 Jan 12, 2013
2nd good post!
CHL was wrong, instead of "Failure to communicate" your enjoying a clash of cultures. Once more, reading and georgraphy will explain the last 50+ years of conflict. The conflicting culture you desire can be found just over the King Goerge County Line in what is known as the DC MSA :)
Westmorland County and the rest of the Northern Neck will fall sometime in the distant (10-25 yr)future.
Abby Walcher

Reston, VA

#55 Jan 12, 2013
Rick and I were unaware of the Blevins change as well.

Abby

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#56 Jan 12, 2013
A couple of people have said that Seay was on administrative leave or probation. Does anybody know whether this true? What happened?
Follow the money

King George, VA

#57 Jan 12, 2013
It doesn't matter who becomes the next Chief, the politicians and supposed big name people of the Town do not want any law in the Town that might hurt the money flow to the their pockets. The next Chief will be another Puppet just getting pulled by the strings, follow the money folks, it isn't hard to find the truth when you follow it. And it's everywhere just like are Great Congress and Senate nothing will be done as long as that almighty dollar is there to be made regardless of who gets affected by it. Open your eyes people!
Hank the Yank

Urbanna, VA

#58 Jan 12, 2013
Clean Up Your Town wrote:
A couple of people have said that Seay was on administrative leave or probation. Does anybody know whether this true? What happened?
That's what I'm waiting to know as well. Did we go from bad to worse?????
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

#59 Jan 12, 2013
Hank the Yank wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I'm waiting to know as well. Did we go from bad to worse?????
Only if you dropped the grenade and threw the pin :)
mee

King George, VA

#60 Jan 12, 2013
Clean Up Your Town wrote:
Well if he was that means SR had to put him on it. And SR is gone now.Do the math.Next is JR and his little group.
Next

Gum Spring, VA

#61 Jan 13, 2013
Junior and some of the others (Kerns, Peroni, Molinaris, etc.) need to go!!!!!!!!!!
the truth is

Baltimore, MD

#62 Jan 13, 2013
Yes capt. Seay was on administrative leave pending an internal investigation for violation of policy. There were numerous complaints by officers and citizens about capt. Seay's miss conduct as a police officer and supervisor. So lets look at this Seay is place on admin. Leave and all of the sudden SEAY'S Golfing buddies get together and remove chief Blevins from office. Sounds like a conspiracy to me. I forgot this town doesnt want true enforcement of the law. They just want puppets to ride around and make bad judgement call.
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

#63 Jan 13, 2013
the truth is wrote:
Yes capt. Seay was on administrative leave pending an internal investigation for violation of policy. There were numerous complaints by officers and citizens about capt. Seay's miss conduct as a police officer and supervisor. So lets look at this Seay is place on admin. Leave and all of the sudden SEAY'S Golfing buddies get together and remove chief Blevins from office. Sounds like a conspiracy to me. I forgot this town doesnt want true enforcement of the law. They just want puppets to ride around and make bad judgement call.
CB goes through Town Sgts/Police Chiefs like a dose of salts through a widow woman. Then there is Small Town Politics, ethics, writing on the wall, and net self worth. Check and see if the reading challenged guy from South Park wants to play CB's game :)

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AjZZDJl8N...
What

United States

#64 Jan 13, 2013
The sad truth is Blevins has shown numerous times that he is not only capable, but very willing to trump up charges against fellow officers. He has gone so far as to solicit false complaints from citizens against other employees of the police department. Taking it even a step further, he has used his wife and family to attempt to support those false claims. If the citizens on this thread, would take the time to look into the facts surrounding the employment of the former police chief, and his history of employment at other agencies, they would be shocked to see just how incompetent and vindictive he is. It is, and always has been, about his personal agenda. I support this claim back urgent you to look no further than the fact he appointed his son to a supervisory position within the police department. We are talking about a son who is completely and totally incompetent in his work. This is the Son who had to call his father on the phone every time he was dispatched to a call that was outside of a normal call for advice. This son was completely incapable of performing his duties independently. While the captain may suffer from in experience and lack of motivation, he does not suffer from integrity issues that were obvious with the police chief. That being the case, the captain is more than capable of running the police department in a professional manner until such time as a competent police chief with experience is appointed. Now that the council has decided to act upon what has been obvious to many over several years, the next step is to overhaul the rest of the department and put in place professional competent police officers and supervisors that will get the job done without having to resort to political games and cronyism.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Texas Pete's Colonial Beach Forum (Aug '15) 22 hr texas pete 59
Love Colonial Beach Oct 15 Shiflett 3
Don't Purchase A Vehicle From Can't Be Beat (Sep '15) Oct 6 Chris 4
Looking to buy 50-60 houses Oct 2 Development of Town 4
Four Seasons Fun Times Today Sep 30 yourtowntoo 3
Grass cutting Sep 29 Betty 11
vendor's Sep 28 Chad Lowery 4

Colonial Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance