Serious question to Council and Manager

Posted in the Colonial Beach Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Curious how

Washington, DC

#1 Mar 9, 2013
According to the Virginia Building Code (Virginia Administrative Code Section 13VAC5-63-50), a Building Official (or Fire official or Code Enforcement/Property Maintenance official) is required to be certified within one year (12 months) of being appointed to the job. This raises a serious question.....After searching the Department of Housing and Community website and the Virginia Building and Code Officials Association websites, I have learned that only one person is currently certified, and that is the Code/Property Maintenance official. The Building Official has no certification yet has been there for four years. I can't help but wonder why the Town does not have a properly trained and certified inspector. Makes me wonder about whether there are safety issues, or worse yet, liability to the Town, knowing that they do not have a properly trained and certified person overseeing this tremendously responsible job. Looks like the town may be violating the law.
wtcsret

Goose Creek, SC

#2 Mar 9, 2013
I'd be careful I am sure the town lawyer has below covered. Once the basics are met the rest is paperwork and continuing education, as far as I can see :)

B. Section 105.1.1 Qualifications of building official. The building official shall have at least five years of building experience as a licensed professional engineer or architect, building, fire or trade inspector, contractor, housing inspector or superintendent of building, fire or trade construction or at least five years of building experience after obtaining a degree in architecture or engineering, with at least three years in responsible charge of work. Any combination of education and experience that would confer equivalent knowledge and ability shall be deemed to satisfy this requirement. The building official shall have general knowledge of sound engineering practice in respect to the design and construction of structures, the basic principles of fire prevention, the accepted requirements for means of egress and the installation of elevators and other service equipment necessary for the health, safety and general welfare of the occupants and the public. The local governing body may establish additional qualification requirements.

http://register.dls.virginia.gov/vol26/iss02/...
John W

King William, VA

#3 Mar 9, 2013
Are you telling the homeowners that any remodeling or new building is not being inspected by a proper inspector. Are you talking about Dexter,
Just Me

Gloucester, VA

#4 Mar 9, 2013
What kind of Town Manager do We have?The police dept problems and now the building dept.not to mention Public Works.Looks like its up to the Council to straighten up the mess Val has created on top of paying Her large salary.Val Foulds is now directing the study being done.How do You think that will turn out?
sad

King George, VA

#5 Mar 9, 2013
Why would any of you think Val is directing the management study. She works at the pleasure of the council, it seems only natural that she has to assist in helping them schedule, etc.
Cutious how

Washington, DC

#6 Mar 10, 2013
John W wrote:
Are you telling the homeowners that any remodeling or new building is not being inspected by a proper inspector. Are you talking about Dexter,
No disagreement for the most part but it looks like Building Officials, inspectors, code officials etc. have to attend certain classes AND pass a test, and once they pass the test they can apply to the State for the proper certification. There is no CERTIFIED building official/inspector in Colonial Beach. So it seems that the town could have liability issues. What happens if say, a new restaurant catches fire and burns to the ground possibly injuring people because it was not inspected by a certified inspector? Or someone's house..? My understanding is that the Town Manager hired him. I would think that surely they must know what the qualifications and certifications are. Should be a provision for ALL town hires....If the job needs a certification (wast water treatment operators, water treatment staff, police, etc.) then if they do not get the proper credentials within the time frame shouldn't they be replaced with someone who CAN meet the standards,
Because

Gloucester, VA

#7 Mar 10, 2013
sad wrote:
Why would any of you think Val is directing the management study. She works at the pleasure of the council, it seems only natural that she has to assist in helping them schedule, etc.
Val IS directing the study - she developed the list of staff members who the consultants will talk to. That way she controls what they learn.

As for the Town Attorney being on top of employees credentials, give me a break. If she were so good, why do employees keep winning unemployment benefits and workman's comp cases? Town Attorney and Town Manager, in my opinion, are a joke.

“Tidewater 2916661”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

#8 Mar 10, 2013
Because wrote:
<quoted text>
Val IS directing the study - she developed the list of staff members who the consultants will talk to. That way she controls what they learn.
As for the Town Attorney being on top of employees credentials, give me a break. If she were so good, why do employees keep winning unemployment benefits and workman's comp cases? Town Attorney and Town Manager, in my opinion, are a joke.
There will be no list provided IF the "consultants" are worth their salt. They go for organizational charts and indicators that are public documents so as to protect themselvs and provide insight to the town inner workings. Do you think they fell off a cabbage truck? They have to know that they are working the actual system. Every paper they work from will have someones name on it for reference along w/ explainations for any changes to current paperwork. You can't game these people because THEIR reputation depends on following "Current Best Practices".
yea right

King William, VA

#9 Mar 10, 2013
Since this is their First Government type work according to them, guess they are following someones lead. You would think the selection would be random to get a cross reference or confirmation.
Seems most talked about fall in (1)Paid to Much.(2)Lives outside town,(3)Not approachable by public (4)Not Business friendly.(5) Selective hiring and salary.(6) Does not keep Council in the loop as a few. There are a lot of people that can tell you how hard they work but it real work or going around in circles. Information in a small town is power and if you hold the information then you hold the power.
not so fast

King George, VA

#10 Mar 10, 2013
Because wrote:
<quoted text>
check it out. not everyone won they're wokers compansasion case. look again, ask around
yea right

King William, VA

#11 Mar 10, 2013
Didn't the Town Attorney just give a class to Council members on what their responsibilities where? They have to remember to follow the rules and Ordinances and Resolutions. And by the way they write the rules, until they unite together there will always be someone else in charge.
Wanda G

King George, VA

#12 Mar 11, 2013
The Town Manager is NOT directing this consultant's interviews, list of interviewees, or any other aspect. She is doing what she has been directed to do by Council, which is to assist the team in setting up a schedule. Council is directing the team. Council has complete confidence this team is not a rookie. They may not have governmental experience, but they are very experienced. Give us a little bit of credit as council. We are working many hours per week (volunteer), can't go anyplace in town without some citizen talking politics and telling us what to do. Between 3 of the new council we have a vast varied experience background, covers 25 years government experience, 30 + years of business owner, 40 approximate years corporate experience, and we have no personal agenda.
If you feel you have something creditable to discuss with this team, contact me. If we think what you have is reasonable and pertinent, not redundant to what has already been contributed, I will see that your story is told to the team. Anyone added to this list adds to the cost.
Whining Wanda

Charlotte, NC

#13 Mar 11, 2013
"...We are working many hours per week (volunteer), can't go anyplace in town without some citizen talking politics and telling us what to do...

What did you expect? Roses? A parade? If you cannot take citizen(s) talking politics you should NOT of Run for OFFICE!
Wanda G

King George, VA

#14 Mar 11, 2013
Whining Wanda wrote:
"...We are working many hours per week (volunteer), can't go anyplace in town without some citizen talking politics and telling us what to do...
What did you expect? Roses? A parade? If you cannot take citizen(s) talking politics you should NOT of Run for OFFICE!
I give my name, why don't you contact me with a face. I think you are the whining one...with no guts. Take the challenge.
Here we go

Falls Church, VA

#15 Mar 11, 2013
Wanda G wrote:
<quoted text>
I give my name, why don't you contact me with a face. I think you are the whining one...with no guts. Take the challenge.
And the wheels on the bus go round and round!!!!

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#16 Mar 11, 2013
Wanda G wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope that is not you Councilwoman
John W

Tappahannock, VA

#17 Mar 11, 2013
Wanda G. are you the one that was running around with apetetion to get rid of our town manager.
its different when you are the one to be critized all the time, if only by a few. Council will never please all the people of CB.
Get used to it Wanda. Half of the people will hate you and the other half will love you. The haters seem to make the most noise.

Location hidden

#18 Mar 11, 2013
Wanda G wrote:
The Town Manager is NOT directing this consultant's interviews, list of interviewees, or any other aspect. She is doing what she has been directed to do by Council, which is to assist the team in setting up a schedule. Council is directing the team.
Thank you for clearing up that matter.
Wanda G wrote:
Council has complete confidence this team is not a rookie. They may not have governmental experience, but they are very experienced.

How do you justify their experience? They are not experienced in governmental affairs yet they are very experienced? You went out of your way toward the end of your post to justify the Councils experience yet you say nothing about this, other than Not rookies, no government experience, but are very experienced.
Wanda G wrote:
Give us a little bit of credit as council.
Still holding my breath. What exactly has the Council done to warrent credit? Running Chief Blevins out of Town? What is the Resume of this current council?
Wanda G wrote:
We are working many hours per week (volunteer), can't go anyplace in town without some citizen talking politics and telling us what to do.
You should be the subject of a petition drive to recall your seat on Council. So much rage on this one. YOU WERE ELCTED TO REPRESENT US Madam, and now we cannot come to you? Oh please rephrase that for us. I am telling you what to do, you were elected by people such as myself to do as I say. TO DO AS I SAY.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#19 Mar 11, 2013
Callsign_Jihad wrote:
<......I am telling you what to do, you were elected by people such as myself to do as I say. TO DO AS I SAY.
This kind of language is completely uncalled for. Council's job is to represent the best interests of the citizens as a whole. It is not to "do as you say". State your opinion and disagree with her position on things if you want. But do not talk to her like that.

Location hidden

#20 Mar 11, 2013
Clean Up Your Town wrote:
<quoted text>
This kind of language is completely uncalled for. Council's job is to represent the best interests of the citizens as a whole. It is not to "do as you say". State your opinion and disagree with her position on things if you want. But do not talk to her like that.
When an elected offical no longer wants to hear the words of the Citizens, "... can't go anyplace in town without some citizen talking politics and telling us what to do..." Then I will talk to that politician in any manner I so chose.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) 1 hr Honest Babe 5,215
add a word, drop a word (Apr '11) 2 hr Honest Babe 17,026
add a word, drop a word 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr Honest Babe 4,695
A to Z: names of music artists (Apr '14) 2 hr Honest Babe 714
A to Z: names of cities, towns, states, places ... (Apr '14) 2 hr Honest Babe 309
A to Z of song titles (Apr '14) 2 hr Honest Babe 663
Song Title Game (Apr '14) 2 hr Honest Babe 602

Colonial Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Colonial Beach Mortgages