Ruther Glen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2011

Judged:

I've been wondering why Colonial Beach is filled with sooo much drama? Could it be that not many have a life that they enjoy so they immerse themselves into someone else's? Or is it that there isn't really anything to do in CB? I'm born and raised here . I still don't understand it.Can ANYONE help me answer this ?!!!
bill in cb

Bowling Green, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2011

Judged:

One can only imagine that perhaps a big network will monitor this blog site and turn us into a reality show. Maybe for Thursday nights.
CB ite

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2011

Judged:

The fact is that there are a very few out there creating the majority of the ruckus in the world. The Internet gives those people a voice. I can assure you that there are only about 20 posters on here that are regularly mean, negative, rude, incindiary, etc. Compared with the population of 3,000+ in Colonial Beach, that is a very small percentage. Most people here are really nice, polite, and not negative or complainers, etc. It is just that here is where they land and have a voice. The fact that they cannot be identified also says a lot. A similar thing happens in the big world, a person will cut you off in traffic car...but would never cut in line at the grocery store.

Some people are above all of that, some wallow in it. The challenge here is to stop reading when it gets mean, etc. Just come for the info needed and go. Don't sink to a lower level.
cat tails

Springfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2011

Avoid the "Drama" and spend time with people who matter and listen to you! That is what I have choosen to do.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2011

Judged:

You say that you were "born and raised here" which I guess means that you have never spent any meaningful time anywhere else. I hate to tell you this, but it is very typical of just about every small town, and even some cities.

The flip side is that it's actually pretty easy to feel entirely isolated in large cities, which isn't a good thing, either. A person can go to all sorts of places to be in a crowd, but they may still be alone.

I guess it's a trade off. Small towns can be very hospitable yet people are in your business, while large cities may be cold, but essentially no one cares who you are or what you do.

This is just an observation from someone who grew up in Virginia's most populous city, graduated high school in Los Angeles, and has lived in or near various major metropolitan cities in the U.S./Mexico and has literally been entirely around the surface of the world.

I guess a good thing would be to live in small town within an easy drive of a major city, say, about an hours drive from Washington, D.C., maybe.
tds1470

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2011

Judged:

asacan wrote:
You say that you were "born and raised here" which I guess means that you have never spent any meaningful time anywhere else. I hate to tell you this, but it is very typical of just about every small town, and even some cities.
The flip side is that it's actually pretty easy to feel entirely isolated in large cities, which isn't a good thing, either. A person can go to all sorts of places to be in a crowd, but they may still be alone.
I guess it's a trade off. Small towns can be very hospitable yet people are in your business, while large cities may be cold, but essentially no one cares who you are or what you do.
This is just an observation from someone who grew up in Virginia's most populous city, graduated high school in Los Angeles, and has lived in or near various major metropolitan cities in the U.S./Mexico and has literally been entirely around the surface of the world.
I guess a good thing would be to live in small town within an easy drive of a major city, say, about an hours drive from Washington, D.C., maybe.
I just moved back to CB after being away for more than 10 yrs. Started dating a "local" and within 2 weeks , I have had more people telling me about him . We have already discussed everything that people have gone out of their way to tell me. I just dont get it. Maybe just maybe they think they are being helpful but really it annoys me. Im in a mature relationship which means we discuss things. And it isnt all about this particular instance either. So much gossip and mean spirited things people say about each other and the town. If stuff doesnt need to be stirred , WHY do so?!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2011

Judged:

I can understand how that could be very annoying, but I'm assuming these are people who feel like they care about you very much. One should be so lucky!

There could be a number of reasons for their concern, depending on who they are and what their perspective is. They could be jealous of either party or both, or even of the relationship at all. Or they could be very concerned about real problems that you may think you're aware of, but are too involved to realize the risk that you are taking. I wouldn't be able to ascertain. If you haven't already done so, I would suggest that you seek professional opinion, such of that of a pastor or uninterested third party.

But...while you're expecting those people to accept you for the decision(s) that you've made, you should do likewise with them. You know who they are, you know your situation, you know that the people who know you and your situation will comment. Either disassociate yourself from the people who would comment or graciously thank them for their input and move on.
Jan Baker

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

asacan wrote:
So do you prefer small town (cb) life or that of a big city?
and does your name have a special meaning?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

Judged:

Yes, I have truly grown to prefer small town life, although I wouldn't have believed it ten years ago. This may sound odd, but it's really that I can't tolerate big city life anymore. The conveniences can be nice, but I'm just too impatient anymore to sit in traffic, wait in lines, worry about the home invasion that just happened X blocks away, etc.

While the odds of having a complete wacko in a small community is the same as a city, they're less likely to melt into the crowd. While I don't necessarily agree that people by nature are nicer in small towns, they're certainly more interested in other people's lives.

I mean, technology has closed the gap a bit, and that has helped. While we probably won't have FIOS in the foreseeable future, we've got more or less fast enough internet access and fairly good delivery services (UPS/FedEx).

As for Colonial Beach and it's particular situation geographically, I try to avoid Maryland and paying their ludicrous toll and high sales taxes, so that more or less pins me to three sides. If I go to D.C. or north, I'll gas up in VA (of course) to avoid buying MD gas, cross the bridge, but return the "long way" (either 95 or 17). But the opening of the Walmart in King George has been very helpful.

As for my moniker, it's my first name and the first three letters of my last name (Asa Canaway). So does my name have a special meaning? Sure. Asa means "healer" or doctor in Hebrew and was chosen by my parents from the Bible (First Book of Kings and Matthew), as he was the third king of Judah and great-grandson of King Solomon.
Jan Baker

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

That is very interesting. I have live in the city all my life and prefer small town CB.
But do I prefer it because it's different from the hectic work life and stress of the city,
Or could I enjoy this on a full time rest of my life type of thing is my question.
I love to hear what recent retirees who have moved from the city think.
So far most prefer small town life. I love my FIOS, but could do without.
have a few more Years to decide....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

Judged:

Jan Baker wrote:
That is very interesting. I have live in the city all my life and prefer small town CB.
But do I prefer it because it's different from the hectic work life and stress of the city,
Or could I enjoy this on a full time rest of my life type of thing is my question.
I love to hear what recent retirees who have moved from the city think.
So far most prefer small town life. I love my FIOS, but could do without.
have a few more Years to decide....
Well, I'm a very young retiree, early 40s, and I'm only retired because I can't find a job. So now, I guess I'm going to finally take matters regarding my employment into my own hands. Hopefully, I will have business licenses soon and securing small business loans, and then I won't be retired anymore.

I will say that there are some advantages to having retired while owning a house in Colonial Beach. I had been stationed in Norfolk for the preceding five years, but I commuted on weekends (and occasionally during the week) to see my family. It was HORRIBLE, especially since I had three different six or seven month deployments during that period, no to mention going to sea for various other reasons. At any rate, when I was first transferred to Norfolk, my youngest son would have been too young to enter kindergarten just about anywhere else in Virginia, but Colonial Beach tested four-year olds (that turned five before the end of the calendar year), and waived my son to enter school. I don't think any public school system in Hampton Roads would have even considered that. That's why my wife insisted on staying, but we had "planned" to move the family down later.

So, my mortgage here is VERY manageable, about half my pension. I think electric bill is high, since my previous home was in Jacksonville, FL, and JEA (Jacksonville Electric Authority) was dirt cheap, but it's offset by the low water bill. Water/sewage was very expensive in Jax. While gas prices have ballooned recently, I'm glad that we have inexpensive gas nearby, and even the gas here in town isn't horrible. To note, the Wawa in Dahlgren last week was the seventh lowest gas price in the country, and the lowest outside of South Carolina, but not currently. And since I've been here, we've only been affected by one hurricane and, now, one earthquake. Speaking of which, I do have to complain that Dominion Power, although better more recently, is not the most dependable in this area, and outside of Isabel, I have lost power for days at a time (again, not recently).

While I would prefer to have more land, I do have 1/3-acre, and that's not a bad yard. Nephews come up from Virginia Beach and love playing back there with my kids.

Down side is the police here. I don't want to get into it anymore than that here, I've laid it out in other areas. I just don't think they're the best deal for the taxpayer money.
CB ite

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

Judged:

We lived in Alexadria and bought a weekend place in CB. Soon we didn't want to go home on Sundays. Finally we moved here permanently when my husband got a job at Dahlgren. We have never regretted it.
The Dude

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

Judged:

When you gain weight, try and cut back on food or exercise. When you date someone who makes you unhappy, don't date them any longer. If you hate your hair, change the style. If you hate drama, cut it out of your life.
Clueless

Vienna, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
When you gain weight, try and cut back on food or exercise. When you date someone who makes you unhappy, don't date them any longer. If you hate your hair, change the style. If you hate drama, cut it out of your life.
Dude, that's profound, man.
The Dude

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

Judged:

Haha, profound? I copied that out of a women's magazine I read at the doctor's office.
Clueless

Vienna, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
Haha, profound? I copied that out of a women's magazine I read at the doctor's office.
OK, considering the source, you're cool. I'm hard pressed to find intellectual reading material at the doctor's office as well. In fact, I was in the middle of giving a urine sample at 1:52 yesterday when the place rocked and rolled. What amused me at 1:51 was the sign posted above the water saving toilet that said: "Please flush AT LEAST TWICE to avoid clogs".
The Dude

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

During an earthquake, wow?! Hope to God you raised the seat!! haha
3sips

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

Judged:

Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, considering the source, you're cool. I'm hard pressed to find intellectual reading material at the doctor's office as well. In fact, I was in the middle of giving a urine sample at 1:52 yesterday when the place rocked and rolled. What amused me at 1:51 was the sign posted above the water saving toilet that said: "Please flush AT LEAST TWICE to avoid clogs".
Did you pee on the wall during the shaking?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

Judged:

tds1470 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just moved back to CB after being away for more than 10 yrs.
Welcome back.

And Asa, welcome.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

Judged:

Tim Curtin wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome back.
And Asa, welcome.
Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

29 Users are viewing the Colonial Beach Forum right now

Search the Colonial Beach Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Police dept (Nov '13) 43 min poop 25
Town Schools 4 hr My Opinion 115
Art in CB 14 hr Margaret McMullen 1
old papa johns building 15 hr Ray 8
E-Coli in drinking water 20 hr Tim 70
Town Council July 23 Meeting 20 hr Tim Curtin 19
Kelseas Kitchen Thu Surrounded by mayhem 7
•••
•••