Since: Mar 12

Urbanna, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Q: Just taking a general poll here. For those of you traveling to and from CB out of town, is it safer in your opinion to take Longfield/ Dragstrip or the Halls short cut. I see no reason to go all the way up to Rte 3 at Oak Grove. That seems to really add the miles and additional time to the commute. Looking fwrd to hearing your resp.

Thanks
A concerned Mom

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Judged:

IMHO... Take Longfield (aka Racetrack road), it is wider and safer traveling between the two segments of Route 205. The short-cut by Hall's Supermarket is most likely shorter, But, the roads are more narrow, has more twists and turns wit almost no shoulders to the roadway.

Better safe than sorry.

Urbanna, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Judged:

thanks Masterscout!

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Judged:

I agree with MasterScout. In addition, the road behind Hall's is crumbling on the edges, as it is, too much more additional traffic and that will just get worse.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Judged:

Everyone please be careful. This goes double during periods of peak traffic, at night and during inclement weather.

I am telling anyone that asks that if they are going to cross U.S. 301 to consider going down to Rt. 3 at the Sheetz and and following that to Rt. 205, particularly if they are traveling at night or during periods of inclement weather.

Even if you have to backtrack, when it starts getting sloppy (and it will) everyone needs to weigh the pros/cons of driving up/down Longfield Rd when there are alternatives.

Cedar Hill Rd has that blind hill that comes up on you really fast, and Pomona was never designed to handle a lot of two-way traffic even when it was in better shape.

Round Hill Rd is another alternative to get over to Rt.3, but it has some tight spots too.
Geezer Geek

King George, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Judged:

I took the Hall's shortcut yesterday on the way home and almost got wiped out but some lady in a silver Jeep Cherokee who was driving with a cigarette in her left hand on the wheel and a cell phone stuck in her right ear.

Consider also that it will be hunting season soon and these guys park their trucks on the narrow shoulders of the roads. Plus all the deer being chased by dogs.

Just be careful out there and give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination.
Ferryboat

Bowling Green, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

A Ferry Boat operator can cash in big on this one. Pick up cars and people somewhere near Rosier Creek Road and ferry them to the old steel pier by the American Legion.
JUST KNOW

King George, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Judged:

Tim Curtin wrote:
Everyone please be careful. This goes double during periods of peak traffic, at night and during inclement weather.
I am telling anyone that asks that if they are going to cross U.S. 301 to consider going down to Rt. 3 at the Sheetz and and following that to Rt. 205, particularly if they are traveling at night or during periods of inclement weather.
Even if you have to backtrack, when it starts getting sloppy (and it will) everyone needs to weigh the pros/cons of driving up/down Longfield Rd when there are alternatives.
Cedar Hill Rd has that blind hill that comes up on you really fast, and Pomona was never designed to handle a lot of two-way traffic even when it was in better shape.
Round Hill Rd is another alternative to get over to Rt.3, but it has some tight spots too.
You are telling everyone even if they don't ask. Our Glen Beck wannabe seems to have a "big brother" streak a mile wide.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Judged:

JUST KNOW wrote:
<quoted text>
You are telling everyone even if they don't ask. Our Glen Beck wannabe seems to have a "big brother" streak a mile wide.
And Thou art a but a surly rough-hewn clack-dish!
Jack Swith

Crofton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Judged:

caudex Assinus

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Jack Swith wrote:
caudex Assinus
FOFLMBO yet again...
Jack Swith

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Caudex Assinus

“Carolina Drama”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Jack Swith wrote:
Caudex Assinus
Jack my man! Take that upside-down and backward M and trade it for a four treated the same. The last h give it a lisp :)
Jack Swith

Linthicum Heights, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Grave Marker

Urbanna, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Thank you to all who took the time to respond thoughtfully with insight and caution. I have to travel these rds to and from CB to KG 3-4 times a week with my little girl for her team practice and its critical I know what to do in times of inclimate weather. Just the sheer darkness and lack of familiarity with the twists and turns can make a mommy worry. I do hope this project completes itself before 2013. Any chance of that happening? I like the Ferry Idea. WOuldnt that be nice? I wonder how much this will hurt business for CB at the holiday season. We already saw how much it affected the attendance for art walk. What about ambulance and EMT travel? How are they dealing with this mess?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Jennifer McGinty wrote:
Thank you to all who took the time to respond thoughtfully with insight and caution. I have to travel these rds to and from CB to KG 3-4 times a week with my little girl for her team practice and its critical I know what to do in times of inclimate weather. Just the sheer darkness and lack of familiarity with the twists and turns can make a mommy worry. I do hope this project completes itself before 2013. Any chance of that happening? I like the Ferry Idea. WOuldnt that be nice? I wonder how much this will hurt business for CB at the holiday season. We already saw how much it affected the attendance for art walk. What about ambulance and EMT travel? How are they dealing with this mess?
This has been a long time coming, and was bound to be a pain no matter when it finally happened.

The first proposal called for complete destruction of the old bridge and a larger, new one to the right of the current one.

It would have taken much longer to complete, cost a ton more taxpayer dollars and involved the taking of a huge chunk of private property on both sides of the creek.

Only after an outcry from the property owners that would have been adversely affected and other people speaking on their behalf did VDOT redo the proposal to what is now happening.

In the end, an old bridge critical to access in/out of town, way overdue for a refit will get a new lease on life and it will happen in the off season when disruptions will not be nearly as bad as they would have been in the spring/summer months.
HB Rules

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Ferryboat wrote:
A Ferry Boat operator can cash in big on this one. Pick up cars and people somewhere near Rosier Creek Road and ferry them to the old steel pier by the American Legion.
the ferry boats i have seen are longer and wider than the crossing at the creek. so how would it work? in reality it would not be a ferry boat it would be a floating bridge.
DeTour

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

The twisty back-road detours are an easy drive as long as you're sober.

“Carolina Drama”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

You should have thought SeeBees,(training evolution) and set it up as SOON as you knew bridge work (not dental) was in the offing :) It would have been a win-win as Covey would say :)
Now if you tried that I'd say you had done all you could. Then again I could be wrong :)

http://www.norfolknavyflagship.com/news/top_s...
lol

Tappahannock, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Judged:

WTCSRET wrote:
You should have thought SeeBees,(training evolution) and set it up as SOON as you knew bridge work (not dental) was in the offing :) It would have been a win-win as Covey would say :)
Now if you tried that I'd say you had done all you could. Then again I could be wrong :)
http://www.norfolknavyflagship.com/news/top_s...
do they let u out on weekends

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of36
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Colonial Beach Forum right now

Search the Colonial Beach Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Colonial Beach Town Council passes 2015 budget 19 min Beach Bum 23
Abuse Power 3 hr Loyal tax payer 18
Chief Legg 4 hr LeoN 10
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) 11 hr Hoolio 2,539
Election 15 hr Tim Curtin 40
Who is cutting grass at Eleanore Park? 21 hr WTCSRET 27
9th street paving Thu Mentalist 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Colonial Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••