Thursday's work session

“C. Green”

Since: Sep 12

Colonial Beach

#1 Apr 27, 2013
Thursdayís long town council work session, in which some very dry topics concerning issues necessary to insure that our fair town continue to function. Some of which is quite boring and one must ask. Why would fifteen otherwise intelligent individuals spend three hours discussing mind-numbing policy issues on a beautiful spring evening, forgoing the pleasure most other folks pursue? Are they crazy or is it love?

This dedication towards our town was rewarded by the last speaker. Within fifteen seconds, one of our town elders managed to insult most of the people in the room. Starting with the invective ďcome hereĒ and continued with a twenty minute bellicose rant towards, the council, the media and most in attendance. Throwing brick bats and pounding on the dais. Faulting the council for what amounted to the lack of mind reading. His complaint was an issue no one has ever raised. It was not an issue he had a problem with. Indeed, it was something he had heard. Itís got to be love!
abc

King George, VA

#2 Apr 27, 2013
To bad the "comeheres " are the ones bringing new money to thistle God forsaken town set out for destroy itself.
Jody

Colonial Beach, VA

#3 Apr 27, 2013
What the heck is a "town elder," and if that is what he is, why not just use his name. This cat and mouse stuff is silly and provies no useful informtion.

“C. Green”

Colonial Beach

#4 Apr 28, 2013
Jody, your question can be answered by reading the minutes or view the video that will be provided by our fine representative (at her own expense) from the press.

Show respect to your elders! Other than a little polite pushback, all in the room listen to the presentation with patience. What would cause this geriatric display of rising blood pressure? An aversion to the bane of beachgoers-jet skis!

Needless to say this oratorical outrage was received with some disbelief. Most if not all disagreed with his basic premise that the event hosted last year was bad for business. However, buried in his dissertation was a nugget! The trailers block the view for the guest at the motel. Fair point and should be easily corrected. The only suggestion this senior has to my older friend, perhaps we need to work on our delivery.

However on the larger point, the event itself was a great success and should be continue. Tourism is what we are all about and the competition introduced a new group of people to our fair town. Expanding tourism will increase business opportunities and tax revenues. If only we could harness our town councilís enthusiasm for tourism to disposing of surplus town owned property, we would be well underway to fixing our financial/budgetary problems.
Okay

King George, VA

#5 Apr 28, 2013
Let's drop al the theatrical BS, the Jet Ski Races have lost money for the Chamber over the last three years. Dockside does a great job sponsoring this event and the bikini contest that follows..."specially like the Mom and Daughter contestants...except Mom won and Daughter cried". It brings in a fortune for a weekend to Dockside over $15000.00 and they pay tax on that?. I say we bring in hydroplane races like the old days and make some real money like they do at Solomons.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#6 Apr 28, 2013
Jody wrote:
What the heck is a "town elder," and if that is what he is, why not just use his name. This cat and mouse stuff is silly and provies no useful informtion.
http://www.colonialbeachva.net/colonial-beach...

Watch for yourself.
The person in question began at about the 2:00:00 mark, and dominated the remainder of the meeting.
Contrast that with the respectful, polite and productive tone of the meeting for the 2 hours prior to that and make up your own minds.

“C. Green”

Colonial Beach

#7 Apr 29, 2013
Okay. Theatrical BS! Excessively dramatic! Who me! Maybe, but from my perspective, very successful. They provoked a thoughtful response and a wonderful suggestion.

As far as the Chamberís losing money on this event, my experience with the Chamber is they are not in the money making business. Their mission is to promote business and business interest. The local chapter is involved in a number of activities from this event to fireworks and fishing tournaments. However, if making money for the Chamber was the goal of this event, perhaps they need to tweak their business model. After all the beach was full of people!

Your assertion concerning the revenue generated for just one business in Colonial Beach makes my point. Putting aside the question of how would you know their receipts for the week in question and assuming the 15K is gross sales; yes they will pay federal, state, county and local taxes. In addition this increase in business will force them to increase staff and they will pay taxes as well. Vendor sales will increase and axillary business such as the grocery store, gas stations, golf cart rentals, convenience stores, our hardware store and our lodging services should have all experienced an uptick is business. All of the economic activity will not be confined to just one restaurant on the boardwalk, but will reverberate throughout our town. Tourism is an economic multiplier.

I like it! The hydroplane thing is something we should pursue. What a great idea! You are in charge. Develop a plan and bring it the Tourism Council. I am sure Ms. King and company, will be exceeding pleased to hear your thoughts on how to make this happen, starting with who do we contact? One question, your comments seemed to suggest we used to hold this event. Why did they leave?
Youareright

King George, VA

#8 Apr 29, 2013
The Chamber is not in the money making business...so I guess following your logic it is okay to lose money year after year...are you on Federal assistance? That's what I would expect from an answer like that! Although your prose is that of an educated person, maybe UVA or a lot Jeopardy, not sure where the buck stops. Local Governments use this logic of throwing good money after bad.
Bad Penny wrote:
Okay. Theatrical BS! Excessively dramatic! Who me! Maybe, but from my perspective, very successful. They provoked a thoughtful response and a wonderful suggestion.
As far as the Chamberís losing money on this event, my experience with the Chamber is they are not in the money making business. Their mission is to promote business and business interest. The local chapter is involved in a number of activities from this event to fireworks and fishing tournaments. However, if making money for the Chamber was the goal of this event, perhaps they need to tweak their business model. After all the beach was full of people!
Your assertion concerning the revenue generated for just one business in Colonial Beach makes my point. Putting aside the question of how would you know their receipts for the week in question and assuming the 15K is gross sales; yes they will pay federal, state, county and local taxes. In addition this increase in business will force them to increase staff and they will pay taxes as well. Vendor sales will increase and axillary business such as the grocery store, gas stations, golf cart rentals, convenience stores, our hardware store and our lodging services should have all experienced an uptick is business. All of the economic activity will not be confined to just one restaurant on the boardwalk, but will reverberate throughout our town. Tourism is an economic multiplier.
I like it! The hydroplane thing is something we should pursue. What a great idea! You are in charge. Develop a plan and bring it the Tourism Council. I am sure Ms. King and company, will be exceeding pleased to hear your thoughts on how to make this happen, starting with who do we contact? One question, your comments seemed to suggest we used to hold this event. Why did they leave?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#9 Apr 29, 2013
Wasn't there to form an opinion but I must say that most meetings are "boring" to most. I use the word boring because not every meeting is filled with something controversial. I can also say that for a period of time, most meetings were well attended in hopes of someone in the audience, during public comment, saying something controversial.(And usually extremely off-topic)
I give kuddos to all of the folks who have or serve on Council. It is a thankless job.. just read the comments on this site. They are taking precious time out of their own lives to contribute to the town...how they perform is another issue.
So let up on them a bit.... question their decision making? Yep. Question why they serve? Not good.

“C. Green”

Colonial Beach

#10 Apr 29, 2013
Youareright wrote:
The Chamber is not in the money making business...so I guess following your logic it is okay to lose money year after year...are you on Federal assistance? That's what I would expect from an answer like that! Although your prose is that of an educated person, maybe UVA or a lot Jeopardy, not sure where the buck stops. Local Governments use this logic of throwing good money after bad.
<quoted text>
The Chamber of Commerce is a 501(c). Otherwise know as a non profit.
Youareright

King George, VA

#11 Apr 29, 2013
You must be the wife of someone who has had money. A non-profit is not a losing profit entity, that would be the Federal Government...but thanks, now I know it was a stretch to give you any credit.
Bad Penny wrote:
<quoted text>
The Chamber of Commerce is a 501(c). Otherwise know as a non profit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a word, drop a word (Oct '13) 14 min Trunketeer 3,018
The Sentence Game (Apr '14) 1 hr Show Stopper 18
add a word, drop a word (Apr '11) 1 hr Intrepid Surfer 14,654
add a word, drop a word 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr Trunketeer 2,281
Candidates 1 hr LeoN 22
Eye Sore At Old Happy Clam Lot Sun Former Observer 16
Colonial Beach Boat Ramp Dangerous Sat Tax Time CB 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Colonial Beach Mortgages