School Metal Detector

Posted in the Colonial Beach Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
my2cents

Colonial Beach, VA

#1 Dec 17, 2012
Does anyone out there now why we have a metal detector in the school if its not going to be used? My child had informed me that they don't even use it any longer. Also there were police at the outside of the school this morning but during the day there is no one at the front door checking to see who enters the building! Is this your idea of protecting our children? I would think in light of what just happened in CT last week that the security would be hightened in our school system!! Please let me know if I am incorrect with the information. Very disturbing!!!!
cbresident

Washington, DC

#3 Dec 17, 2012
My son told me the same thing. The metal detector has not been used since the beginning of the year, but I have no idea why.

I do want to say thank you to the CB Police for being at the school when kids are incoming. I know it would be a serious burden to have 100% coverage during the school day. I wold appreciate that even more but I am not sure our town can handle the cost of such a requirement especially if they were providing it for both school locations.
Keep are kids safe

Nokesville, VA

#4 Dec 17, 2012
cbresident wrote:
My son told me the same thing. The metal detector has not been used since the beginning of the year, but I have no idea why.
I do want to say thank you to the CB Police for being at the school when kids are incoming. I know it would be a serious burden to have 100% coverage during the school day. I wold appreciate that even more but I am not sure our town can handle the cost of such a requirement especially if they were providing it for both school locations.
The real question is. Can we put a cost on are children's life's
Business

Baltimore, MD

#5 Dec 17, 2012
Tactical Ray wrote:
Let a few of the teachers carry concealed. Problem solved
Exactly my thoughts! I could not agree more! It would not cost the tax payers a dime either.

“Annoying and won't go away....”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#6 Dec 18, 2012
Tactical Ray wrote:
Let a few of the teachers carry concealed. Problem solved
I agree 100%!!!!
Bebop

King George, VA

#7 Dec 18, 2012
Totally agree with Tach. Ray, Business, and Bill. Include office personel also.
Bebop

King George, VA

#8 Dec 18, 2012
Let office personel carry also.This might stop the perp before he gets to the classrooms.
Felix Penobscot

Falls Church, VA

#11 Dec 18, 2012
Tactical Ray wrote:
Let a few of the teachers carry concealed. Problem solved
Governor McDonnell thinks this might not be a bad idea.

Since: Nov 09

Brandywine, MD

#12 Dec 18, 2012
My question???? Instead of asking on here and getting no where. Have you called or gone to the school or the school board office and ask the question???

Steve
John G

King George, VA

#13 Dec 18, 2012
Steves Locksmith wrote:
My question???? Instead of asking on here and getting no where. Have you called or gone to the school or the school board office and ask the question???
Steve
Ask me one of these days about what happens when you report a threat to the school officials. Involved a verbal threat to bring a knife to stab a teacher and a student on school property.

Let me guess, you didn't hear about that one did you? I see people complain here Steve, why do you post it on Topix and not go to the "Fill in the Blank" that can help you. We did, nothing of substance done, was even told that sometimes kids say the darnest thing because they still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. How is that for school security?

Now without posting it on Topix, would anyone else know? The school does. Looking back, when we decided to move here to CB, there was zilch on Topix, go back through and look at Topix since 2006. Just this year alone here in Riverside Meadows that I personally know of:

Gentleman shot in his house during a robbery

House containing four pit bulls with no fence. Numerous calls about the dogs being out and about. Including one dog that was attacked by the aforementioned pit bull.

Kid told he was going to get stabbed along with a teacher at the school.

That is what I know of so far this year. Let Topix be a record for people who are interested in purchasing homes here to at least get some details so they can research other sources prior to making a purchase.
Really

Gloucester, VA

#14 Dec 18, 2012
Felix Penobscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Governor McDonnell thinks this might not be a bad idea.
He's an ass and just playing politics. Wishy/washy--no commitment--says it should be considered among all opportunities to improve the situation. Next, he'll being considering student's' bringing firearms to protect themselves. The OK Corral.
Idea

Gloucester, VA

#15 Dec 18, 2012
John G wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask me one of these days about what happens when you report a threat to the school officials. Involved a verbal threat to bring a knife to stab a teacher and a student on school property.
I hope you are working with the police and school when you become aware of the situations you mention, not just bitching.
John G

Woodbridge, VA

#16 Dec 18, 2012
Idea wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you are working with the police and school when you become aware of the situations you mention, not just bitching.
Never again will I report it or any of the other stuff that goes down here. It just does not matter. That was the experience we walked away with. Just keep your mouth shut and all is okay. That event at the school happened. The phone calls and meetings took place. The end result is the child is no safer today than he was when it happened.
Beach time

Saluda, VA

#18 Dec 19, 2012
It is against the law to carry on school grounds in VA unless you have a CHP and are only in your vehicle. You cannot get out and wander school grounds with your firearm.

There are a whole lot of ideas going around about how to prevent school shootings, but the vast majority, locally, are just macho posturing.
HB Rules

Lexington Park, MD

#19 Dec 19, 2012
Some ideas hat should be considerd and would come with a cost that tapayers would have to agree too. Perimeter fencing with ontrolled entry/exit point. School doors locked at all time with card access to open, naturally school staff and children would have to have id cards coded for this. Allowing staff that have taken gun safety training to carry with concealed carry. Many big business are like this today. It may not be the best security but it would go along way in keeping out your ordinary nut job.
Perhaps

Gloucester, VA

#21 Dec 19, 2012
Perhaps you could volunteer to screen and frisk everyone.
Just Me

White Stone, VA

#22 Dec 20, 2012
John G wrote:
<quoted text>
Never again will I report it or any of the other stuff that goes down here. It just does not matter. That was the experience we walked away with. Just keep your mouth shut and all is okay. That event at the school happened. The phone calls and meetings took place. The end result is the child is no safer today than he was when it happened.
You are right. The problem is, it starts at the top with Town Council and the Town Manager, and permeates through the schools and Police Department. I have reported town employees breaking the law, and nothing is done. Corruption is rampant, in my opinion. Nobody even cares that the Chief of Police is in direct violation of his contract. Town Council turns a blind eye when questions are directed to them. I know that I am not the only one that feels this way. Many citizens are now going straight to the Westmoreland County Sheriff's Office with reports, since it does no good here. I encourage you to do the same.
Anonymous

Richmond, VA

#23 Dec 20, 2012
So we should put up a fence and have armed guards on patrol. This is a school not a prison! Let's get with the program. The metal detector from what I understand has been with the school for a while but is broken. I would think this might put some pressure on the powers that be (fill-in superintendent) to step up and get fixed.

I see some posts that either are crazy talk or crazy people talking. Guns don't belong in school period. That goes both ways.

The issues lie on students and their parents. Parents need to be more involved with their kids lives and give a crap when incidents are being reported. Mental health has become a major issue in this country and everyone is blaming all of this on guns and security. Kids have lost all respect for authority and this falls on the parents to instill some discipline that will curb these kids from dangerous behavior.

But if that is too hard, put up the fences, add the gun heavy security and lock the place down so only visitors coming in for time that we can call visitation. Turn it in to a prison because that seems to curb violence in our country.
HB Rules

Virginia Beach, VA

#24 Dec 20, 2012
CB Newbie wrote:
So we should put up a fence and have armed guards on patrol. This is a school not a prison! Let's get with the program. The metal detector from what I understand has been with the school for a while but is broken. I would think this might put some pressure on the powers that be (fill-in superintendent) to step up and get fixed.
I see some posts that either are crazy talk or crazy people talking. Guns don't belong in school period. That goes both ways.
The issues lie on students and their parents. Parents need to be more involved with their kids lives and give a crap when incidents are being reported. Mental health has become a major issue in this country and everyone is blaming all of this on guns and security. Kids have lost all respect for authority and this falls on the parents to instill some discipline that will curb these kids from dangerous behavior.
But if that is too hard, put up the fences, add the gun heavy security and lock the place down so only visitors coming in for time that we can call visitation. Turn it in to a prison because that seems to curb violence in our country.
Yeah, I see your point. How about we make it illegal for guns to be in school and lets put up a gun free school zone sign. I mean the drug free school zone signs work great around the country. How stupid of me to think of other ideas to try.
Anonymous

Richmond, VA

#25 Dec 20, 2012
HB Rules wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I see your point. How about we make it illegal for guns to be in school and lets put up a gun free school zone sign. I mean the drug free school zone signs work great around the country. How stupid of me to think of other ideas to try.
Obviously I am an idiot for thinking bringing more weapons in to a school will only compound the issue and putting up fences will turn the schools in to prisons.(even though many would think they kind of already are.) So we put more weapons in to schools for the teachers to use in case of an intruder.
What's to stop students from stealing them from the teachers?
What's to stop teachers from overreacting with students by using a gun as enforcement?
What's to stop a person who wants to bring a gun to school from bringing more powerful weapons because they know what the teachers are packing?
Everything everyone wants to talk about is reactionary. If we have guns, we can defend ourselves. If we have fences, we can keep bad people out. How about we try to be proactive and work on at-risk youth and working through their personal/mental health issues. Get them the help they need so they don't make bad decisions like coming to schools with guns.

However, back to the main issue, the metal detector needs replacing and some policies to enforce using it properly. How many people have called the school board about this? Any?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colonial Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tipsa (Jan '14) 5 hr wtcsret 81
Ethics Ethics Ethics 7 hr Ethics 5
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 15 hr gwsbadass 1,360
Mold in town hall 16 hr Out sourcing 28
what happened to the lil town i loved?? 19 hr Res2 37
Good Eats in CB! Mon Cry cry cry 28
Bikerfest Veteran Orgs Sep 27 Mjolnir 13

Colonial Beach Jobs

Colonial Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Colonial Beach News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Colonial Beach

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]