Collinwood city recorder indicted in ...

Collinwood city recorder indicted in theft

There are 20 comments on the WTVF Nashville story from Jan 17, 2012, titled Collinwood city recorder indicted in theft. In it, WTVF Nashville reports that:

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation has arrested a city recorder in Middle Tennessee after her indictment on a theft charge.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVF Nashville.

icantbelievethis

United States

#1 Jan 17, 2012
This is unbelievable!
iamsosorrythisha ppened

United States

#2 Jan 18, 2012
None of us have the full story of why Sherry did this. These times of this economic depression make many people do things they normally would never consider. As a business owner, I have had hundreds of thousands of dollars stolen by employees over the years. Perhaps I've been wrong in not prosecuting the people committing the thefts. I am in no way approving of what Sherry has done, but I am sorry the reason arose.
yepismoke

Napoleon, OH

#3 Jan 18, 2012
hey if she was stealing food to feed her family I can see it, but for monetary gain just wrong, you don't live above your means she had a job she knew exactly what she was doing, also, for that amount of money was not one lump sum ya know it was over a long period of time. She admitted to it, she herself said she did it. She needs to pay restitution to the city, her retirement lost and a nice long stay at Rock City Hotel
Hurdat

Spring Hill, TN

#4 Jan 18, 2012
I can't believe as often as this happens, that people think they won't get caught. Or did she think that if the heat was turned up, she'd just bring in $83,000 to replace it before anyone knew?

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#5 Jan 18, 2012
Okay so my calculation is since July 2008 to September 2010 equals 26 months. She gave herself $3,192.31 a month on top of her salary. Thats pretty good money! Also I heard she was driving a Lexus....really? Imagine what that car payment is?! Not done yet, We were told by the TBI that $60,000.00 was cash (payments brought in by the hard working honest folks)and $23,000.00 +/- were city checks...who at the bank....yep who at the bank was getting a little extra cash for thier roll in depositing those city checks in Sherry's personal account.....hmmm. Well at any rate..shame on you, you gotta pay that back how are ya gonna come up with that kind of cash? Ya know you were one of the elite folks that acutally had a secure stable job in C'wood guess there is a job opening now for those seeking employment! I dont feel you deserve any compassion, you caused so much humiliation to you friends family co-workers. Loser!
icantbelievethis

United States

#6 Jan 18, 2012
RubieC wrote:
Okay so my calculation is since July 2008 to September 2010 equals 26 months. She gave herself $3,192.31 a month on top of her salary. Thats pretty good money! Also I heard she was driving a Lexus....really? Imagine what that car payment is?! Not done yet, We were told by the TBI that $60,000.00 was cash (payments brought in by the hard working honest folks)and $23,000.00 +/- were city checks...who at the bank....yep who at the bank was getting a little extra cash for thier roll in depositing those city checks in Sherry's personal account.....hmmm. Well at any rate..shame on you, you gotta pay that back how are ya gonna come up with that kind of cash? Ya know you were one of the elite folks that acutally had a secure stable job in C'wood guess there is a job opening now for those seeking employment! I dont feel you deserve any compassion, you caused so much humiliation to you friends family co-workers. Loser!
She drove a murano and I think there's more to this story than we know. I think she may be the fall guy for this. Only my opinion and I could be wrong. I'm just waiting for the whole story.

Location hidden

#7 Jan 18, 2012
Not sure on the fall guy thinking, she stated (Sherry) to the TBI that she did it, she did it for two reasons 1. her husband had a car loan out (by the way does he work?) 2. she was trying to put a kid thru college. Why in the world would she admit to this? to cover for someone else? No not a chance in hell. The Grand Jury indicted her, they have to have evidence hard evidence in order to do that..the city manager should have caught this in its very early stages by conducting internal audits which either she failed to do or to damn stupid not to notice $$$$ missing! The TBI have been monitoring the bank tranactions they tie in to her every movement. Sherry physically walked into the bank and deposited that money into her own personal account, I doubt anyone forced her to do that. The TBI, the States Attouney General are going to make sure they do indeed have the right person thats why they sit and they wait and collect all the evidence they need to send to the Grand Jury. The city manager was aware of this investigation and thats why an "assistant" was hired to offset some of the resposibility from Sherry to the asst. because Sherry was the only one for 33 years that handled every red dime that came thru that door. Admitting guilt may give her a lighter sentence, but nonetheless this is a Federal Offence and she will go to a federal prison probably for along time. If she has an attorney (I sure she does by now) will speak on her behalf this will go to trial and she will have to pay back restitution. She may have admitted guilt when she was arrested but rest assure attorny will plead not guilty or no contest when she is arraigned..watch for it
icantbelievethis

United States

#8 Jan 18, 2012
RubieC wrote:
Not sure on the fall guy thinking, she stated (Sherry) to the TBI that she did it, she did it for two reasons 1. her husband had a car loan out (by the way does he work?) 2. she was trying to put a kid thru college. Why in the world would she admit to this? to cover for someone else? No not a chance in hell. The Grand Jury indicted her, they have to have evidence hard evidence in order to do that..the city manager should have caught this in its very early stages by conducting internal audits which either she failed to do or to damn stupid not to notice $$$$ missing! The TBI have been monitoring the bank tranactions they tie in to her every movement. Sherry physically walked into the bank and deposited that money into her own personal account, I doubt anyone forced her to do that. The TBI, the States Attouney General are going to make sure they do indeed have the right person thats why they sit and they wait and collect all the evidence they need to send to the Grand Jury. The city manager was aware of this investigation and thats why an "assistant" was hired to offset some of the resposibility from Sherry to the asst. because Sherry was the only one for 33 years that handled every red dime that came thru that door. Admitting guilt may give her a lighter sentence, but nonetheless this is a Federal Offence and she will go to a federal prison probably for along time. If she has an attorney (I sure she does by now) will speak on her behalf this will go to trial and she will have to pay back restitution. She may have admitted guilt when she was arrested but rest assure attorny will plead not guilty or no contest when she is arraigned..watch for it
You make valid points. I cannot argue with you on that.
Smm1025

Westpoint, TN

#9 Jan 19, 2012
To RubieC and you other:: I don't know who the hell you think you are passing judgments on someone you probably don't have one clue about. When did you ever get her side of the story? That's right you didn't. Because no one has asked her. The news said she admitted to it, but that is a lie. She has not admitted to anything! She is my family and has worked there for over 30 years. She would never steal from the people of Collinwood. Have you ever heard of being setup? She is a very loving wife, mother, and grandmother to everyone that knows her. She didn't think of herself as one of the elite in Collinwood. So I don't know how in God's green earth you think that you are any better of a person posting about a person you don't even know anything about and trash talking them into the ground. And yes her husband does work and has for the last 13 or so years for the same company. Her son is on the deans list in his junior year of college. Let's just turn the tables on you! Do you work or do you just lay on your fat ass all day drawing disability,tenncare, and food stamps? Are you educated? My guess is probably not, right? Otherwise if you were, you would know when to keep your thoughts and opinions to yourself before you just go and assume a person is guilty! You sure do know a lot about the Federal Prison system. It takes one to know one, right. Next time take a look at yourself before you run your mouth off about other people you don't know. You probably aren't so great either!
ohmy

United States

#10 Jan 20, 2012
Even good people do bad things sometimes, just sayin. I don't think the TBI would just set somebody up. if it was the county or the city that had made these accusations then I'd say ya it was possible she was set up, but honestly the TBI? They have proof or they wouldn't have arrested her.
Smm1025

Westpoint, TN

#11 Jan 20, 2012
ohmy wrote:
Even good people do bad things sometimes, just sayin. I don't think the TBI would just set somebody up. if it was the county or the city that had made these accusations then I'd say ya it was possible she was set up, but honestly the TBI? They have proof or they wouldn't have arrested her.
It's not the TBI that set her up you retard. Have you ever heard of it being the people you work with and their politician friends. Somebody wanted her out so that their friend could get her job. Audits are done annually so why wasn't anything said then. Oh I know! Probably because the audits came out fine back then, but someone has changed the books to make her look guilty now. To me it's funny that the Colinwood police dept share the same room with her and sometimes evenn the same desk counter. There are lots of local politicians that hang out there all the time. If it was your family you would want them to be innocent until proven guilty. And by the way, does it matter that the auditors wife is friends with City Manager..... Just sayin'

Location hidden

#12 Jan 20, 2012
Smm1025 you sound upset as you should be your family. I know Sherry known her my whole life, Knew her Mom, Dad, Brother and Grandmother and her husband. That being said, why do you think she was set up? Why would someone do that to her? What are they to gain?$83,0000 +/- and a free pass out of jail? I highly doubt it, the city mgr (I still question her qualification for that position) stated Sherry was the only one, the only one to make deposits, the only one to write checks (first of all stupid to have one person do that). Do you think the TBI the Attorney General sat around a round table and discussed on whose life we can destroy today? Nope. Do you think the bank teller "whoops" kept depositing the cities check in her personal account, nope they do checks and balances everyday, do you think the Grand Jury is going to indict someone because someone says so? Nope again. Do you know what a "Sealed Indictment" is? I will tell you it means just that sealed, until the person is notified by law enforcement and/or arrested and why do you think that is? Because they have been doing an ongoing investigtion to make sure they in fact have the right charge(s) and the right person. The TBI is not going to arrest someone and then make statements to the public and lie why that would just ruin everything they did. The TBI stated she admitted to it... the TBI. The TBI must have very hard evidence and proof in this matter, thats why they investigate gather facts bring forth to the Prosecutor, to the Grand Jury. As for me, sorry to dissapoint but I do have a career, never been on food stamps never received any free medical, never been in federal, state or county jails. I am among many who sit on the Jury of public opnion as are you. I never said Sherry thought she was "elite" I said she was one of the elite, comprehension is imapairative when have a discussion or debate. Before you fly into a frenzy on this response, remember this...not everyones views are the same nor thier opinions and I am not fat quite the opposite, do wear glasses though. A jury of her peers 12 by the way with two alternates will decide her fate not me or you
Smm1025

Westpoint, TN

#13 Jan 20, 2012
RubieC wrote:
Smm1025 you sound upset as you should be your family. I know Sherry known her my whole life, Knew her Mom, Dad, Brother and Grandmother and her husband. That being said, why do you think she was set up? Why would someone do that to her? What are they to gain?$83,0000 +/- and a free pass out of jail? I highly doubt it, the city mgr (I still question her qualification for that position) stated Sherry was the only one, the only one to make deposits, the only one to write checks (first of all stupid to have one person do that). Do you think the TBI the Attorney General sat around a round table and discussed on whose life we can destroy today? Nope. Do you think the bank teller "whoops" kept depositing the cities check in her personal account, nope they do checks and balances everyday, do you think the Grand Jury is going to indict someone because someone says so? Nope again. Do you know what a "Sealed Indictment" is? I will tell you it means just that sealed, until the person is notified by law enforcement and/or arrested and why do you think that is? Because they have been doing an ongoing investigtion to make sure they in fact have the right charge(s) and the right person. The TBI is not going to arrest someone and then make statements to the public and lie why that would just ruin everything they did. The TBI stated she admitted to it... the TBI. The TBI must have very hard evidence and proof in this matter, thats why they investigate gather facts bring forth to the Prosecutor, to the Grand Jury. As for me, sorry to dissapoint but I do have a career, never been on food stamps never received any free medical, never been in federal, state or county jails. I am among many who sit on the Jury of public opnion as are you. I never said Sherry thought she was "elite" I said she was one of the elite, comprehension is imapairative when have a discussion or debate. Before you fly into a frenzy on this response, remember this...not everyones views are the same nor thier opinions and I am not fat quite the opposite, do wear glasses though. A jury of her peers 12 by the way with two alternates will decide her fate not me or you
If you know her so well and all, have you called her, talked to her, to see how she is doing or to get her side of the story. Probably not. As far as a career, I have a great one and have never used the govt for anything. Well, I have talked with her and her husband and heard what they had to say. It's just really funny how a new city manger comes in that pretty much thinks she runs Collinwood and now an employee of 33 years name is smeared because of her and probably one of her friends wants a job at city hall.
ohmy

United States

#14 Jan 20, 2012
Smm1025 wrote:
<quoted text>It's not the TBI that set her up you retard. Have you ever heard of it being the people you work with and their politician friends. Somebody wanted her out so that their friend could get her job. Audits are done annually so why wasn't anything said then. Oh I know! Probably because the audits came out fine back then, but someone has changed the books to make her look guilty now. To me it's funny that the Colinwood police dept share the same room with her and sometimes evenn the same desk counter. There are lots of local politicians that hang out there all the time. If it was your family you would want them to be innocent until proven guilty. And by the way, does it matter that the auditors wife is friends with City Manager..... Just sayin'
ok retard, I guess we will just see. If it was my family I would be in denial just as you are.
Smm1025

Westpoint, TN

#15 Jan 21, 2012
ohmy wrote:
<quoted text>
ok retard, I guess we will just see. If it was my family I would be in denial just as you are.
My family is not in denial about anything. We were raised to know better than to steal. I just don't automatically assume that she's guilty. Thats all. I want to see the good in people. Unlike you!
WOW

United States

#16 Jan 25, 2012
Smm1025 wrote:
<quoted text>It's not the TBI that set her up you retard. Have you ever heard of it being the people you work with and their politician friends. Somebody wanted her out so that their friend could get her job. Audits are done annually so why wasn't anything said then. Oh I know! Probably because the audits came out fine back then, but someone has changed the books to make her look guilty now. To me it's funny that the Colinwood police dept share the same room with her and sometimes evenn the same desk counter. There are lots of local politicians that hang out there all the time. If it was your family you would want them to be innocent until proven guilty. And by the way, does it matter that the auditors wife is friends with City Manager..... Just sayin'
it's funny that they supposedly set her up so someone could take her job but yet the job is posted in the paper today. That makes a lot of sense
Hurdat

Spring Hill, TN

#17 Jan 25, 2012
Yeah they got in a "new" city manager, who waited how many years is it now? To set up a person to get fired so she could get a friend a job that probably pays $20,000 a year....I swear you trailer trash people bust out the gate calling other people names for discussing the facts of this situation....people make mistakes, yes...doesn't make her a shitty person but admit your wrongdoing and take the consequences and move on with your life. Oh wait I forgot, the almighty criminal super masterminds of the City of Collinwood have set in motion yet another master plot...WHEN WILL THEIR TERROR END?(that's sarcasm)
Suprizd

United States

#18 Jan 26, 2012
wondrin if that asistant wuz n on this ever 1 nos how she is
Who

United States

#19 Jan 26, 2012
Suprizd wrote:
wondrin if that asistant wuz n on this ever 1 nos how she is
Who was the assistant?
just check em

Salt Lake City, UT

#20 Mar 9, 2013
they need to look at all the employees at cwood. because she is not the only one to carry money to the bank and deposit it. some city wokers and police officers and water dept workers also done the deposit at the bank.when they wasn't anyone else to do it. they are more to this than what people just hear. she has worked 33 years there and that is all she has got is 83,000 dollars.com e on!!! it dont make any since why would you work there for 33 years and just now take 83.000 dollars??? i think i would start looking at the people who were hired a couple of years before this happend. the people who have access to all that info. SHERRY DID NOT DO THIS BY HERSELF IF SHE DONE IT AT ALL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Collinwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Mon Mcm123 21,338
Review: Diesel Care & Performance (Oct '15) Mon Deisel Guy 9
Subs Mon Delta1996 11
crimecago more shoitings Mon SOUTHERN MAN 1
The pickett man Mon Not true 19
Do you know what happened to Wendy Welborn in M... (Jan '16) Mon Anon 17
Prettiest girls in Collinwood? (Dec '10) Nov 15 Just a Few 84

Collinwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Collinwood Mortgages