First Prev
of 2
Next Last
New Guy

Morehead, KY

#21 Dec 27, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
We in the bible churches do not pretend that Dec 25th is Jesus birthday, we just celebrate the season. I don't think anyone can identify the date of his birth but that should not be a roadblock to doing so. Personally I think his birth was somewhere in the fall months. I have forgotten the information that I gathered during my research on that because I do not consider it important.
Heath is quick to talk about the flood but I doubt he knows the date it happened, nor does it matter. What counts is that it is true and we should not be bashful to talk about it's importance. The important thing about the Christmas season is that we have the best opportunity to tell the story of the gospel which begins with the promise of a Savior born of a virgin, sent by God to redeem the lost! Why let the season go to waste like many in the coc do...
With you on this one Bobby. Just for fun, I remember reading one idea that Jesus may have been born during the feast of tabernacles in the fall. I have also read that Noah's ark may have come to a rest on the day that would eventually be resurrection day. Like you said, don't really matter, but interesting.

Doesn't Ephesians 5:16 tell us to redeem the time, make the most of every opportunity? Many only come to church on Easter and Christmas. Use that knowledge to our advantage!

Since: Dec 12

Royse City, TX

#22 Dec 28, 2012
New Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't Ephesians 5:16 tell us to redeem the time, make the most of every opportunity? Many only come to church on Easter and Christmas. Use that knowledge to our advantage!
Good point!

On another note, very few church people really believe that Jesus was born on the 25th of Dec. Many even know the history behind the date of the 25th. Most merely use this day to get the meesage out to people who otherwise may not hear it.

Another thing I find funny is how certain preachers will get all upset about Christmas yet some of them and many of thier assebly have the tree up with presents underneath. I guess its okay to give Santa some attention - lol.
Dioscorus of Nyssa

Thailand

#23 Dec 28, 2012
So, according to Heath and his compatriots in the churches of Christ, since there is no biblical instruction to celebrate the birth of Christ, it is sinful to do so. And yet there is no reference to a singular "church of Christ" in the Bible, and yet they don't have a problem using the title.

This is just one of the many contradictions found with Heath and his compatriots.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#24 Dec 28, 2012
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you pledged allegiance to a new eldership yet?
Or is that seasonal for you as well?
www.roysecitycoc.org
Have your church members, all ten of them, got down on their knees and worshiped you yet? I mean after all you have no elders, you are a one man band:) Wake up Heath you are being strangled by legalism and you are totally unaware of it.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#25 Dec 28, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>Have your church members, all ten of them, got down on their knees and worshiped you yet? I mean after all you have no elders, you are a one man band:) Wake up Heath you are being strangled by legalism and you are totally unaware of it.
Noah was one of 8. ;)

Illeglist like to borrow catholic holidays and have their kids sing happy birthday to Jesus on Dec. 25.

Pseudo Christianity is soooo fun!

www.roysecitycoc.org

Royse City, TX

#26 Dec 28, 2012
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
Noah was one of 8. ;)
Illeglist like to borrow catholic holidays and have their kids sing happy birthday to Jesus on Dec. 25.
Pseudo Christianity is soooo fun!
www.roysecitycoc.org
Wise men offered gold, frankincense, and myrrh to Jesus in Bethlehem at his Birth. How dare they think the birth of Jesus was something special. Shame on them! How dare we follow such a biblical example and treat His birth as meaningful. What are we thinking?:)
Dioscorus of Nyssa

Thailand

#27 Dec 28, 2012
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
Noah was one of 8. ;)
And the church of Christ wing of heaven will have about that many in it, all thinking they're the only ones there.
Barnsweb

Alliance, OH

#28 Dec 28, 2012
_Randy_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Wise men offered gold, frankincense, and myrrh to Jesus in Bethlehem at his Birth. How dare they think the birth of Jesus was something special. Shame on them! How dare we follow such a biblical example and treat His birth as meaningful. What are we thinking?:)
Better re read the accounts. By the time the wise men arrived, Jesus was in a house, not the manger. Some time had passed:-)
Barnsweb

Alliance, OH

#29 Dec 28, 2012
How many were freed from Egypt and died in the desert due to their lack of belief?

It isn't much different today.

Royse City, TX

#30 Dec 29, 2012
Barnsweb wrote:
<quoted text>
Better re read the accounts. By the time the wise men arrived, Jesus was in a house, not the manger. Some time had passed:-)
My point was: its not sinful to acknowledge his birth
Johnny Robertson

Texarkana, AR

#31 Dec 29, 2012
Bobby wrote:
When we as Christians take the Christ out of Christmas we are doing exactly what the atheist and worldly people want. Surely no one can accurately say that Jesus rose on dec 25th but it is still a fine tradition. I think we should have the Christmas mindset every day of our lives-that Jesus died for our sins and rose on the third day, defeating the power of death hell and the grave.
Worldly people have successfully removed God and prayer from our schools but what they want is not freedom of religion but freedom from religion. If it were not for the big bucks being made on the holiday it would have to be practiced underground. Let us use it wisely while we still can to preach the magnificence of our savior.
When we put Christ into Christmas we are doing exactly what the Atheis say we do! We just make up stuff and have the whole wordl do it!
Their accusation is that people who follow the Bible make up commands and have people hoodwinked into following them just becaused they were raised believing it
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#32 Dec 29, 2012
Johnny Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
When we put Christ into Christmas we are doing exactly what the Atheis say we do! We just make up stuff and have the whole wordl do it!
Their accusation is that people who follow the Bible make up commands and have people hoodwinked into following them just becaused they were raised believing it
"johnny be good" is the one being hoodwinked:)

Legalism kills Christian fellowship, it erects a barrier between people.

nobody

Morehead, KY

#33 Dec 29, 2012
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen for a faith aloner to give you:
1. Where Jesus told us to remember His birth.
2. Where the NT records the church of Christ observed the birthday of Christ.
Col. 3:17
www.roysecitycoc.org
Same place where:
1. We were told instruments in worship were a sin.
2. Where the church was commanded to observe the Lords Supper on the first day of the week.
3. Where the N.T. states that Jesus or Paul could not be a deacon or elder because they were not married.

I actually agree with the CoC about Christmas because it is commercialized and probably not the actual birthday of Christ. Pagan mixture is also a problem with Christmas. Everyday is the day we should celebrate the birth of Jesus. Very important day but His birthday is like no other and cannot be celebrated as we do our birthdays. Just my opinion.
Barnsweb

Alliance, OH

#34 Dec 30, 2012
Johnny has a point. Christmas celebration was brought in to meld pagan holidays with Christ.

A common anti-Christmas rebuttal is to show where God ever condoned or commanded celebration of birthdays? I would answer that the angels of God know, and the record shows they regarded the day!

But sinse we don't know the day, it it fitting to celebrate it on the day of a pagan god's birth? Why would we do that? Not to mention call Him by 'Jesus'(hail Zeus), rather than His God given name?

'We' have so much wrong that I sometimes wonder how it can be straightened out....

At least Johnny calls people to repent to do what God has said - even if he is mistaken on several matters - at least he's making that the aim of his preaching.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#35 Dec 30, 2012
Barnsweb wrote:
Johnny has a point. Christmas celebration was brought in to meld pagan holidays with Christ.
A common anti-Christmas rebuttal is to show where God ever condoned or commanded celebration of birthdays? I would answer that the angels of God know, and the record shows they regarded the day!
But sinse we don't know the day, it it fitting to celebrate it on the day of a pagan god's birth? Why would we do that? Not to mention call Him by 'Jesus'(hail Zeus), rather than His God given name?
'We' have so much wrong that I sometimes wonder how it can be straightened out....
At least Johnny calls people to repent to do what God has said - even if he is mistaken on several matters - at least he's making that the aim of his preaching.
Yes, the world is full of sin, that is why a child was born in our midst-God in the flesh. What a concept!!

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

He who had no sin became sin for us.

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Had Jesus not been born, there would be useless to celebrate. All of my faith and hope is in him, he is my sanctuary.
woe

Kansas City, MO

#36 Dec 30, 2012
wow
Barnsweb

Alliance, OH

#37 Dec 30, 2012
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the world is full of sin, that is why a child was born in our midst-God in the flesh. What a concept!!
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
He who had no sin became sin for us.
God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
Had Jesus not been born, there would be useless to celebrate. All of my faith and hope is in him, he is my sanctuary.
Great comment Bobby:-) And He said 'follow Me':-)
Dioscorus of Nyssa

Buffalo, NY

#38 Dec 30, 2012
Johnny Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
There's that word... command... the word that the church of Christ love more than any other (different from the churchES of Christ found in Scripture - where is church of Christ again? Right! Not in Scripture!).

I don't recall anyone commanding me to celebrate the birth of Christ. It's something I do out of devotion to my Savior, not because if I don't, I'll be condemned.

By the way, if you take just a moment to proofread your comments, Johnny Robertson, it will be a whole lot more legible.
Whitman

United States

#39 Dec 31, 2012
Barnsweb wrote:
Johnny's aim of his preaching is to make people obey himself. Not to obey God.

If you don't repent to Johnny Robertson you are hellhound. That is Johnny's gospel to be obeyed. Johnny's church, Johnny's rules.
Bobby

Fort Worth, TX

#40 Dec 31, 2012
Barnsweb wrote:
<quoted text>
Great comment Bobby:-) And He said 'follow Me':-)
If we are depending upon the work of the cross for initial salvation, then we must continue to depend upon it to stay saved and much more.

http://frankviola.org/2012/03/01/thebloodofje...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Collinsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How many of the 10 commandments have you broken? (Feb '12) 15 hr Barnsweb 146
i want to be Christian.can i ? (May '15) Mon Barnsweb 9
Speak Out Bassett Virginia !!!! (Jul '15) Apr 18 Bill 6
My girl Apr 18 Bill 3
Why They Left: Listening to Those Who Have Left... (May '12) Apr 8 James A Farmer 45
the church of Christ insider discussion boards (Aug '10) Mar '17 Democrappy ... 12
dr.joel smithers (Sep '16) Feb '17 YEPP 4

Collinsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Collinsville Mortgages