Tenn. town looks into new ambulance s...

Tenn. town looks into new ambulance service

There are 11 comments on the EMS1 story from Jul 29, 2010, titled Tenn. town looks into new ambulance service. In it, EMS1 reports that:

If Germantown decides to get into the ambulance business, first-year startup costs are expected to reach nearly $1.6 million.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EMS1.

Upper Tully

Drummonds, TN

#1 Jul 30, 2010
Anything is far better than Rural Metro. A Fire Dept based Ambulance service will provide the best service, prompt responce times with quality employees.
TaylorMade

Oakland, TN

#2 Aug 1, 2010
Why do I pay so much in city taxes if our fire department doesn't provide our own ambulances service? I was told that Bartlett provides this service for their citizens and Germantown is about to provide this service for their citizens as well. So do those cities have a scam going or do they legitimately want to provide only the best for their tax payers? It seems like you can better control your service if you actually provide it rather than contract it. We aren't talking about garbage pickups or facility cleaning, emergency care for my family is very important to me and I'd rather the people I pay taxes to provide me with this care and not some private company that's only trying to make a dollar.

Come on Collierville, let's not always let Germantown and Bartllet outshine us!
BenefitsOffered

Oakland, TN

#3 Aug 3, 2010
Can Collierville offer better service by running ambulances rather than contracting it out?
David

Millington, TN

#4 Aug 7, 2010
Upper Tully wrote:
Anything is far better than Rural Metro. A Fire Dept based Ambulance service will provide the best service, prompt responce times with quality employees.
Right. A fire-based service, with 90% paramedics who only get their medic patch to get on the job, forced to do EMS when they just want to fight fire. Putting a C-collar on an MVC patient and telling them to walk to the stretcher. Memphis Fire, anyone?
BenefitsOffered

Oakland, TN

#5 Aug 7, 2010
So would having your own fire-based ambulance service be the right ting or not?
Shelly

United States

#6 Aug 10, 2010
David is right. Firemen really want to fight fires and don't care about the EMS aspect. Private Services work hard to provide quality service because they are voted on and contracted by the city and can be voted out just as quickly. Their employees also went to school specifically to work on an ambulance and that is where there hearts and interests lie.
UpperTully

Drummonds, TN

#7 Aug 16, 2010
David wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. A fire-based service, with 90% paramedics who only get their medic patch to get on the job, forced to do EMS when they just want to fight fire. Putting a C-collar on an MVC patient and telling them to walk to the stretcher. Memphis Fire, anyone?
Well if your placing a c collar on a mvc patient and walking them to the ambo, is a product that falls on the Dept it self, starting with the EMT, Medic, Lt, Bc and on up to the Director. It should show no reflection on the operations of all Fire Depts out there. I asure you, not all of them have the bad habits of other depts.
UpperTully

Drummonds, TN

#8 Aug 16, 2010
Though im not in agreement with forcing advanced EMS qualifications on all Firemen, not all guys are cut out to be a medic. Some depts stress so much on EMS and so less on Fire than their lack of experience show with difficult working fires.

People that go through Medic school usually want to be a medic, not a fireman. Those that apply to be a fireman, doesnt care to be a medic.
YeahRight

Memphis, TN

#9 May 30, 2011
Upper Tully wrote:
Up front, I do not work for anyone in Shelby county, nor do I work for rural/metro. I do have enough friends that work for MFD and the other services to know about this, and the citizens of Germantown are being lied to by their alderman and politicans.

You're not understanding something. Germantown Fire is not Memphis Fire. They're not even Bartlett or Collierville Fire. They're not desoto county fire, Fayette county EMS, or Jackson Madison county General EMS. They're a good-old-boys club where anyone who tries to change or improve the delivery of care is viewed as a troublemaker or ran out.

Scientific studies have shown that there are no survival or outcome benefits from ambulance response times being less than 10 minutes with a good Basic Life support responder system. Studies have also shown that having too many paramedics also causes worse patient outcomes on a scene.

Errors made by Germantown Fire Paramedics, such as giving the wrong drugs at the wrong time, misplacing IVs, mismanaging pediatrics, and the like are covered up or blamed on Rural Metro crews, while those crews have to deal with rude and abusive Germantown Fire paramedics on scene. Rural Metro paramedics are forced to leave scenes if they need to do a procdure to treat or stabilize a patient because Germantown Fire Paramedics will not allow them to work on their patients. EMTs and Paramedics who do work for Rural Metro are either transferred out of the Fire Stations and banned from working in Germantown (Blackballed) if they report Germantown fire personel who are practicing inappropriate methods, or they are outright run out to prevent any issues or animosity between Germantown and Rural Metro. Anyone attempting to go to the State or to the Medical directors about this would be commiting career suicide because of the thin red line of slience.

In addition to this, Germantown Firefighters are making accounts on news websites and publically naming and slandering ruralmetro employees - very professional.

Don't just buy into the hero worship of Germantown fire, and actually talk to some of the people who work with them on scenes and see what they go through on a daily basis. You don't want this without heavy safeguards in place to ensure quality clinical practice and public relations.

Also, if Germantown Fire cared about the patients and not their ego, they'd merge with Memphis and Shelby county fire and create one unified EMS agency around the entire county.
David

Cordova, TN

#10 May 31, 2011
YeahRight wrote:
Errors made by Germantown Fire Paramedics, such as giving the wrong drugs at the wrong time, misplacing IVs, mismanaging pediatrics, and the like are covered up or blamed on Rural Metro crews, while those crews have to deal with rude and abusive Germantown Fire paramedics on scene. Rural Metro paramedics are forced to leave scenes if they need to do a procdure to treat or stabilize a patient because Germantown Fire Paramedics will not allow them to work on their patients.
I cannot confirm nor deny the rest of your post, but I can definitely confirm the portion that I've quoted before. I worked for Rural/Metro in another life (I'm an RN now), and I can confirm that Germantown FD paramedics consistently DELAY DEFINITIVE CARE on just about every scene. They will not "allow" Rural/Metro to transport a patient until GFD medics are done playing around with the patient. GFD medics are just like anyone else. Some are good, some are bad. Some know their stuff. Some make mistakes. The problem is, GFD hands off the patient to Rural/Metro and oftentimes does not give an accurate report of what's been done, or they will report that they did an intervention when they did not.
Now that I think about it, maybe it would be best for GFD to take over their own EMS. Then they can stop blaming Rural/Metro for their screw-ups and everyone will see just how screwed up fire-based EMS can be.
YeahRight

Cordova, TN

#11 May 31, 2011
David wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot confirm nor deny the rest of your post, but I can definitely confirm the portion that I've quoted before. I worked for Rural/Metro in another life (I'm an RN now), and I can confirm that Germantown FD paramedics consistently DELAY DEFINITIVE CARE on just about every scene. They will not "allow" Rural/Metro to transport a patient until GFD medics are done playing around with the patient. GFD medics are just like anyone else. Some are good, some are bad. Some know their stuff. Some make mistakes. The problem is, GFD hands off the patient to Rural/Metro and oftentimes does not give an accurate report of what's been done, or they will report that they did an intervention when they did not.
Now that I think about it, maybe it would be best for GFD to take over their own EMS. Then they can stop blaming Rural/Metro for their screw-ups and everyone will see just how screwed up fire-based EMS can be.
I do agree. Rural Metro has to shoulder some of the blame for the monster they created. They let germantown fire abuse their crews without standing up for them in the interest of being political, and let this monster fester. And I'm not trying to abdicate them of responsability of it, either. However, it doesn't excuse the behavior of some of the Paramedics on Germantown. Yes, they have competent, skilled Paramedics. However, they also have some of the biggest rescue randies on the face of the planet - some even bigger than the volunteer departments, and their attitudes and the way they treat professional colleagues. I personally know of two paramedics who have been blackballed from GFD's contract units for reporting medical errors or reporting the on-scene behavior of GFD personel.

Nursing is where I'm headed, too. I'm thankful I got out of Shelby County a long time ago. Memphis and Shelby County Fire rock hard - they're the best at what they do, and it shows. But when ambulance crews dread responding into Germantown from all over the county, chances are there's a problem and maybe it's not just with Rural Metro.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Collierville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
intro (Jan '06) May 28 Josh6998 2
Matt Bronson and an obvious double standard! May 25 Germantown Merchant 3
Any lonely women around?? May 24 Young lover 3
Pond lettuce (Aug '15) May 11 condom dealer 3
News Man Arrested For Assaulting Woman In Church (Jul '10) May 8 He is still not h... 249
Old Man Draper (Apr '13) May 7 G-Man 2
Owner of gray Corvette Apr '16 Help needed 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Collierville Mortgages