Grapevine Senior With School's Highes...

Grapevine Senior With School's Highest GPA Not Valedictorian

There are 75 comments on the NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth story from May 29, 2008, titled Grapevine Senior With School's Highest GPA Not Valedictorian. In it, NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth reports that:

A 2008 graduate who has the highest grade-point-average in Grapevine High School history will not be named class valedictorian, NBC 5 reported.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Uknown

United States

#69 Jun 1, 2008
I think it is really sad she is being punished rather than rewarded for all her hard work. You would think the school district would also be proud of her accomplishments and reward those efforts with the recognition she truely deserves. And to whom ever thinks her 3 years of accelerated courses coulndn't compair to those taking regular courses is compairing apples to oranges...your right her classes were more challenging and therefor her accomplishments that much more impressive.
Scott Enk

United States

#70 Jun 1, 2008
Residents of Grapevine and Colleyville. Texas, do you *really* want your towns, your schools and their "leaders," *as well as all of you,* forever to be associated with the shameful injustice being done Anjali Datta?
Do you *really* want thinking people everywhere to regard you and your communities, as millions all over the world now do, with ridicule and contempt, a worldwide laughingstock?
I hope not. But if not,*now* is the time for all of you to show true Texas grit and pride at their best and stand up for true traditional American values.*Now* is the time to stand up for Ms. Datta and the values she lives--*before* the blot that has stained your towns becomes permanent.
If you truly value your communities' and your own reputations, rise up as one *now* against what your schools' "leaders," in your name, are doing to Anjali Datta and her achievements.
Demand that the Grapevine-Colleyville ISD and Grapevine High School immediately reverse their decision and that they award Ms. Datta the title of class valedictorian, without any "strings," and with the scholarship due her as her school's top student.
An abject public apology from your school board and from Grapevine High School to Ms. Datta and her family is also needed, as is clarification of the school district's policies to assure that this fiasco will never reoccur.
You should know who to call and/or write--*this week*.
If you don't, go to http://www.gcisd-k12.org/bot/bot_members.html for the names of the Grapevine-Colleyville ISD board members--click on each one's link for his or her e-mail address.
Write also to Grapevine High School's principal Jerry Hollingsworth and Grapevine-Colleyville ISD superintendent Dr. Kay Waggoner. You can find their contact information at, respectively, http://www.gcisd-k12.org/schools_main.htm and http://www.gcisd-k12.org/leadership/admin.htm... . Click on their names to obtain their e-mail addresses.

Let's not let yet another student who exemplifies the true best about young people and education get shafted. Speak up for Ms. Datta--and for rewarding, not penalizing, achievement and excellence--*this week, the first week in June*.

*Get at least 10 friends to do the same.*

*Let's see all of you show everyone who's now shaking their heads at you and smirking at how your community and schools are fitting all those negative stereotypes about Texas are wrong*. Let your schools and those who run them in your name show everyone that all of you *truly* value and reward students who apply themselves, work hard, and excel,*especially* when they do it faster than others.
Once the graduation ceremony is held and that scholarship given, it will be too late. Erase this ugly stain on your community while there's still time. Time is short, so act now.
Please act on this as though the whole world were watching--*because it is*.
Scott Enk
Hales Corners, Wisconsin
[email protected]
Helen Robertson

Dallas, TX

#71 Jun 2, 2008
why wasn't she informed of the "4 year" rule before she graduated? Is it possible that she could have gone on another
year by taking more classes just so she would qualify as
valedictorian and get the scholarship?6502
Len

El Cajon, CA

#73 Jun 2, 2008
I'd like to pose a question: If this girl was popular, white, christian, from a affluent family in the district how would the board have ruled on the meaning of "4" years in the policy? Just food for thought....
Linda

Carrollton, TX

#74 Jun 2, 2008
As far as a racist thing....most likely not, and if you are familiar with the make-up of the honor students in GCISD, you would know that. More likely a case of an arcane rule being in place to prevent someone from coming in from another district at the last minute to ursurp a Grapevine student's place. However, according to an article in the Grapevine paper over the weekend, the TEA regs state that the valedictorian is the person in the class with the highest GPA. It further states that under no circumstances is the honor to go to anyone who does not have the highest grades. It makes no mention of having to attend high school for 4 years. The article goes on the state that when the principle was asked about this situation by Ms. Datta's father, he refused to answer. I would also be interested in seeing what "parental politics" were at play here, and which set of parents.

Those who are saying that if she attended for another year, her GPA would be lower because of having to take watered down classes....well do the math. Guess who would still be the valedictorian! Why should anyone ever be forced to take classes that are below their capabilities?

Wonder what would happen if the young man who was named valedictorian were to come forward and decline the award? He knows and his parents know that he is second.
Linda

Carrollton, TX

#75 Jun 2, 2008
Len wrote:
I'd like to pose a question: If this girl was popular, white, christian, from a affluent family in the district how would the board have ruled on the meaning of "4" years in the policy? Just food for thought....
How do you know that she was not popular, affluent, and a Christian? Making assumptions too quickly!
Heather

Englewood, CO

#76 Jun 2, 2008
I have an 9 year old daughter that has perfect TAKS scores and a GPA of very close to 4.0....i am considering moving her up a grade but now i am rethinking this. I certainly won't let her graduate early given this kind of backwards policy! Where is the motivation for children to go above and beyond?!! We're just promoting mediocrity with these kinds of public policies!
Linda

Carrollton, TX

#77 Jun 2, 2008
Heather wrote:
I have an 9 year old daughter that has perfect TAKS scores and a GPA of very close to 4.0....i am considering moving her up a grade but now i am rethinking this. I certainly won't let her graduate early given this kind of backwards policy! Where is the motivation for children to go above and beyond?!! We're just promoting mediocrity with these kinds of public policies!
Just make sure you know EXACTLY what the district policies are! Get it in writing....follow it very closely each year. At age 9, she should not have any problem moving ahead a grade. It might be a different scenario once she gets into middle school. Watch closely what the rules are at that point for taking and getting credit for high school classes while still in middle school. Congrats to you and your daughter on her perfect TAKS score!
Len

El Cajon, CA

#78 Jun 2, 2008
I never made any assumptions... I just put out a scenario. I see people stating the classes she took were designed to acheive the highest GPA in the shortest time. So why penalize her for this? This shows extreme intellegence and planning. If she had enrolled at the school after her freshman year I could understand this decision. Though she did not have "4" years at the high school... she did have 4 years within the district. If the board spent 3 months as they said looking into this... would'nt it have just been easier to change the wording of the policy and then do the right thing? Oops...
nessyntx2

Stephenville, TX

#79 Jun 3, 2008
this is unbelievable. I am appalled. 30 years ago i graduated in texas as a 3 yr graduate. It is extremely hard to do and requires a lot of dedication as a student. i also lost out on scholarship money. you would think that after all this time. this would be a non issue in this state. she worked harder than most of her peers to do this.( i know ) she should be recognized and applauded instead of be penalized.

just 1 more reason to be disgusted with the texas education system.
Tiff

Denton, TX

#80 Jun 3, 2008
Oh come on people, why does everything have to be a racist issue?
Mom in Lewisville

Fort Worth, TX

#81 Jun 13, 2008
If you make exceptions for one then you have to make exceptions for all. Then you have no reason for rules. Once you make exceptions you start down a slippery slope. Besides if she had the HIGHEST GPA ever - how come she couldn't read the rules? Besides did she think because she got her story out that would change the outcome?
Cowgirl Up - TX

Keller, TX

#82 Jun 25, 2008
Mom in L'ville - you have some serious issues. I would hazard a guess that if this was one of your little chix....you'd be all over the news with your mouth flapping about the unfairness....
Les Claypool

Fairfield, CT

#83 Jun 25, 2008
Mom in Lewisville wrote:
If you make exceptions for one then you have to make exceptions for all. Then you have no reason for rules. Once you make exceptions you start down a slippery slope. Besides if she had the HIGHEST GPA ever - how come she couldn't read the rules? Besides did she think because she got her story out that would change the outcome?
I had no where near the highest GPA in high school, but I can't find the rule. Can you?

http://www.gcisd-k12.org/parents.html

Go to "District Policies Online".

Find "Valedictorian/Salutatori an Awards"
Click the link. Show me the rule...

If you make exceptions for one rule that doesn't exist, you have to make exceptions for them all. It's a slippery slope into load of you know what.
Son

San Antonio, TX

#84 Nov 30, 2010
I'm sure this will only be a little bump in the road for the former Valedictorian. It mostly embarrasses the ISD of how foolish they are. If anything, the general public will find something to be learned about our gov't tendencies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colleyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for chad a isaacs? (Apr '13) 2 hr Victims of Chad I... 114
Colleyville,Texas Murder of Anita Fox (Mar '15) Aug 18 Clark Kent 131
News Slain wife called last years of marriage a not ... Aug 15 Steven 1
Review: Lugger, Jerry L MD - Jerry L Lugger MD (Jan '10) Aug 13 Big bad john 9
Need your help locating someone! (Sep '14) Aug 9 Jamie Dundee 7
Carla Chandler Aug 7 Big bad john 2
Pear trees Jul 31 maxcad 1

Colleyville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance