Grapevine Senior With School's Highes...

Grapevine Senior With School's Highest GPA Not Valedictorian

There are 75 comments on the NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth story from May 29, 2008, titled Grapevine Senior With School's Highest GPA Not Valedictorian. In it, NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth reports that:

A 2008 graduate who has the highest grade-point-average in Grapevine High School history will not be named class valedictorian, NBC 5 reported.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Robin Hood

Mabank, TX

#1 May 29, 2008
I can not believe the school distict could do something like that I would get a lawyer and fight it, they made her do it and did not explain the rules that is cheating on the schools admission,
sushi

Oceanside, CA

#3 May 29, 2008
anjali,did her 4 years of high school work, she was dedicated, a role model...she deserves the valedictorian title. And only her alone.
the board and attorney are reading the policy incorrectly.
Norm Ravellette

Longview, TX

#4 May 29, 2008
And we wonder why our educational system is where it is today. What incentive to the children have to learn and reach for goals??? Way to Anjali!!! Grapevine Schools obviously do not appreciate students that take their education seriously... Like a lot of other school districts in Texas.

Norm Ravellette
Longview, Texas
Robert

Dallas, TX

#5 May 29, 2008
Rules are always bent to a certain extent. This is a great accomplishment. Who is suppose to be Valedictorian? the ISD boards child?

Since: Apr 08

Republic of Texas

#7 May 29, 2008
What part of this do you not understand??.....

"Our policy states that the valedictorian will be the student with the highest rate of grade point average who has completed four years of high school," said Megan Overman with GCISD.

I feel bad for the young lady, but the school does have a policy in place. It's not the end of the world. There are many colleges and universities that appreciate excellent students and I'll be very surprised if she isn't awarded some sort of scholarship .... Maybe even several..
Stacey

Fort Worth, TX

#8 May 29, 2008
fozbot wrote:
I feel bad for the young lady, but the school does have a policy in place. It's not the end of the world.
You obviously didn't graduate at the top of your class. For those who have earned it, the top spot is a huge deal. Both Tyler and Anjali presumably have full-ride scholarships to UT Austin, so the issue isn't the availability of college funds. The issue is fairness. She indisputably earned it, she should get it.
Cowgirl Up - TX

Southlake, TX

#9 May 29, 2008
fozbot wrote:
What part of this do you not understand??.....
"Our policy states that the valedictorian will be the student with the highest rate of grade point average who has completed four years of high school," said Megan Overman with GCISD.
I feel bad for the young lady, but the school does have a policy in place. It's not the end of the world. There are many colleges and universities that appreciate excellent students and I'll be very surprised if she isn't awarded some sort of scholarship .... Maybe even several..
The point(s) are this -
1. She DID finish 4 years of High School - she just happened to finish it all in 3 years
2. She has the highest GPA - EVER - in the history of GCHS. Ever. Today - with dropout rates up and TAKS failures, you reward the diligent.
3. GCHS is punishing the student when their counselors didn't inform her and her family of this rule.

What don't I understand? Why the ISD is stupid.
Cowgirl Up - TX

Southlake, TX

#10 May 29, 2008
Stacey wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously didn't graduate at the top of your class. For those who have earned it, the top spot is a huge deal. Both Tyler and Anjali presumably have full-ride scholarships to UT Austin, so the issue isn't the availability of college funds. The issue is fairness. She indisputably earned it, she should get it.
I agree Stacey - I did graduate top in my class - and the recognition of a job well done was welcome and a very big deal. Not having that award will be a crushing blow.

Hopefully, if Grapevine remains ignorant. she can go on to college and knock their socks off - and graduate first in that class. Anjali - you can do anything you set your mind to - go for it and show them all you did "Cowgirl Up". Put your best face forward and never look back.
contactharrydog

United States

#12 May 29, 2008
I hope the 'good ol' board reconsiders. Otherwise the joke is the Texas school system for their lack of leadership regarding this mistake. Anjali IS valedictorian.
jbj0110

United States

#13 May 29, 2008
Valedictorian should be the student with the highest average. Period. It shouldn't matter how long it took the student to complete the course work. If anything, she should get extra credit (and thus a higher GPA) for having completed everything in record time. Why would any school ever penalize a student for doing the best work?

“By way Of La”

Since: May 08

Shreveport

#14 May 29, 2008
I think that she should still be considered for a scholarship. It is amazing feat to graduate in three years with a 5.9 GPA. That says alot about the student...determination, discipline, self motivated...all of those great qualities. I wold like to tell Datta, keep moving forward toward even greater succecc and accomplishments. Your parents should be very proud.
Randy

Fort Worth, TX

#15 May 30, 2008
She obviously completed four years of high school work, which is the clear intent of the rule. She just didn't have to sit there for four years to do it. Congratulations to the teachers who advanced to the administration level in this district. You've proven that the ability to reason and think is not taught in our system, nor is it required in order to advance to management. And you wonder why people flee to private schools.
Jan

United States

#16 May 30, 2008
This is one of the most rediculous policies I have ever heard. Why didn't 'they' the teachers make her aware of this policy before encouraging her to finish early. Instead of rewards she getting knocked out of college funding. The parents should sue the stupid school distict for giving out incomplete information to a very worthy student which deserves all the bells and whistles. Perhaps, she should NOT graduate this year and take basketweaving next year and graduate in 2009. Change the policy, get with the times. Doesn't graduation mean you have met your credits, rather it be 4 yrs or 2 yrs, what's the difference. If you can finish a 4 yr degree in college in 2 yrs, your still awarded valedictorian, it's based on credits not years attended. Can a student at this school that has attended MORE than 4 yrs graduate as a valedictorian?????????? Get a NEW SCHOOL BOARD AND NEW POLICIES, come up to the 21 st century. Reward our children, don't downgrade their achievments!
happy medium

Keller, TX

#17 May 30, 2008
We have morons in charge of school policies. This girl did so well she finished 4 yrs of HS in 3, has the highest GPA ever, but gets punished for it? Are these the same people who kicked the boy out of school for weapons just because someone saw a butter knife in his pickup bed? Idiots!!
It Is Fair

Greenville, TX

#19 May 30, 2008
She wasn't "out of classes" to take, she was out of AP / honor credit classes to take. She took the minimum number of courses and cherry-picked all of the ones with max credit. If she stayed in another year, like the other students, it would be impossible for her GPA to remain this high because the remaining classes would not be on the accelerated scale. This is exactly why it isn't fair... her accomplishments are great, but they aren't apples to apples compared to the other graduates who took four years worth of coursework.
It Is not Fair

Addison, TX

#20 May 30, 2008
Not true "It is Fair". To graduate the student MUST have a minimum number of credits. The same minimum as any other student. She met those requirements.
Unknown

United States

#21 May 30, 2008
i think she should be voted and not treated like that if she has the highest gpa in the school the she should be voted valedictorian
Ray from Denton

Austin, TX

#22 May 30, 2008
Grapevine ISD showed that they are stupid. The girl did complete 4 years of high school, she completed it in 3 years. She should be given a special award and be honored, not treated this poorly. People should be singing her praise for an outstanding effort, but not Grapevine. Maybe race had something to do with this issue?
Anyway, Ms. Datta, great job and please don't let the ignorant school officals ruin your outstanding effort.
GHS mom

Garland, TX

#23 May 30, 2008
I was at Grapevine's senior awards program last night and was proud of the way everyone conducted themselves. Both students were referred to as "Valedictorian" last evening. A "Top 21" replaced the usual "Top 20."

The problem with the rankings may be more complicated than what one hears on the news. From what I have heard from my child's classmates— who follow class rankings very closely— Miss Datta was able to take more several more AP classes as a freshman that were offered to the '08 students.

It is unfortunate that her counselor did not foresee this problem, but I'm certain she will get a substantial scholarship to any college of her choosing.
mike

United States

#25 May 30, 2008
She was unfairly denied the achievment but I'm pretty sure plenty Universities will give her the shcolarships or full ride knowing the situation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colleyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Bedford Apr 20 Chris Rodriguez 19
Review: Mary M. Robb, DDS (Apr '15) Apr 14 Big bad tough john 2
bedford walmart - Nepal people pretending to be... Apr 9 johnson 3
BOB EDEN PARK - Racists IN PARK told me to get ... (Oct '15) Apr 7 Big bad tough john 27
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Apr 1 haha 981
A home that embodies Colleyville (Oct '15) Mar '16 Nelson Thibodeaux 2
Colleyville,Texas Murder of Anita Fox (Mar '15) Jan '16 Say it like it is 125
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Colleyville Mortgages