Student, Mother Protest Mandatory Spa...

Student, Mother Protest Mandatory Spanish Class

There are 12 comments on the NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth story from May 16, 2008, titled Student, Mother Protest Mandatory Spanish Class. In it, NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth reports that:

A mother in the Grapevine- Colleyville school district said she is refusing to let her daughter attend mandatory Spanish class because she doesn't think her daughter should be forced to learn the language.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth.

mandy

Salamander Bay, Australia

#1 May 28, 2008
I cannot believe that little girl is having to teach HERSELF French and there is not another teacher available to help her! That is an outrage!! Maybe if just a fraction of the money that's being spent on catering to all-things-Spanish was used otherwise, there would be enough to go around for other culteral learnings. Unbelievable.
Jo Nell Pegues

United States

#2 May 28, 2008
Thank you to Leigh's mother...Leigh should not be forced to learn Spanish...The school should force all the non-English speaking people to learn English instead of offering the ESL classes. When the legal immigrants came over in the beginning of Ellis Island, they all learned to speak English. Now, half the country can't speak English..That is a travisty.
Jo Nell Pegues

United States

#3 May 28, 2008
Thank you to leigh's mother..Leigh E
WSVegas

Carrollton, TX

#4 May 28, 2008
I think we should have Mandarin Chineese as mandatory or Korean or Japaneese or German or Hindi. Why Spanish? We would be doing ourself a favor if we learned a language that we could actually do international business with.
Fed-UP

Arlington, TX

#5 May 28, 2008
If we went to Mexico we would have to learn their language to survive so why are they not made to do the same here? What has this country become, why did those thousands of men and women give their lives during the Revolutionary War, The Alamo,(REMEMBER THE ALAMO!!), even the WWI and WWII. These battles were fought so OTHER Countries couldn't tell us what we had to do. Welcome to THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!! It is time to standardise english as our National Language. We are the only country that doesn't have one. My hat is off to you in Grapeine and keep up the fight!!!
Les Claypool

Denver, CO

#6 May 29, 2008
WSVegas wrote:
I think we should have Mandarin Chineese as mandatory or Korean or Japaneese or German or Hindi. Why Spanish? We would be doing ourself a favor if we learned a language that we could actually do international business with.
Yep. Most of those people(who I deal with daily) are required to learn English in order to do business. I say teach in English, if you can't hang with it, you fail. It's worked that way for years. How about some mandatory C+, Java, XSLT, and .NET classes? We should strive for the highest level of learning, not cater to those who just want to change our culture.

http://schoolguide.star-telegram.com/default....
Lloyd Stone

United States

#7 Jun 12, 2008
I applaud the Grapevine girl and her mother for taking a stand. This is America, and the English language should be the official language. If immigrants come here to live, they should learn our language, else they need to go back home and speak their own. I say give the students the choice to take Spanish as an elective if they wish, but do not force them to take it. For those advocates who want to make Spanish mandatory, go to Mexico and try getting their schools to adopt English as a mandatory subject.
vince p

Plano, TX

#8 Jun 12, 2008
great story. i just wish, they would force all students to learn english as well. if you did not pass the english class, you should fail the grade. spanish is fine but should not be mandatory. english should be though considering we're in ENGLISH speaking america and not spanish speaking mexico.

"please press 2 for engish."
All about language

Paris, TX

#10 Jun 12, 2008
vince p wrote:
great story. i just wish, they would force all students to learn english as well. if you did not pass the english class, you should fail the grade. spanish is fine but should not be mandatory. english should be though considering we're in ENGLISH speaking america and not spanish speaking mexico.
"please press 2 for engish."
I agree! Spanish speaking americans or illegals,children and adults alike should have to take a mandatory English course and pass it. Im not saying it wouldnt be a good thing to learn spanish, french or any other language. It most likely would help us along lifes trail. But if America is where they want to be, join us, speak english. We should have the right to choose what other languages we want to learn. I was in the beauty shop one day an overheard a conversation that cought my attention. The beautician was mexican and had her two children with her in the shop. The children were boys and between 5 & 7 years old. When she spoke to the people in the shop, she spoke english very well. But when she spoke to her kids she spoke spanish. A white lady asked her if the boys spoke english also. She said no! they dont have to! The white lady replied. Well what about school. The mexican lady said- America provides them with spanish speaking teachers because they have to. The white lady replied but arent you going to teach them english they may need it. Mexican lady said no! The white lady said, well you speak english very well. The mexican lady said. I have to, to work. The white lady said. Do you think that the boys well never have to work and promptly walked out without getting her hair done. I would have done the same but my hairdo was well underway. I have not been back since and never will. Her attitude was we have to and they dont, so there.
Pat K

Euless, TX

#11 Jun 12, 2008
I applaud this girl and her mother. It's time to take a stand. English should be the official language. If you want to speak Spanish, French, Mandarin, etc. as a second language--no problem!

I was the focus of a news story yesterday when I complained about a bilingual sign at Alex Sanger Elementary School. An overwhelming majority support me for speaking out against it. The liberal left of course has started the name calling and threats. Now I know what Sean Hannity goes through every day!
anonymous2112

United States

#12 Jun 12, 2008
If things don't change, Chinesse is going to be the language of the future.

Stupid to require Spanish, wrong country. They should require English for the spanish students.

Uppity school like Colleyville forcing students to learn a specific langauge? I wonder who on the school board has Mexican in their family history?
anonymous13

AOL

#13 Aug 15, 2009
I think kids should definitely need to learn Spanish. Spanish is the fourth most commonly used language. The only way you use Chinese is if you are dealing with China. The only way you Hindi is if you are dealing with India. Spanish is the only one that is used frequently besides English. Why would you not want to learn it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colleyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Branson Dental (May '09) Thu Big bad john 43
Limited spots available for the newest and most... Dec 1 CoachJeffTFW 3
News Application process takes new route (Nov '06) Nov 28 Mary Mindieta 5
BOB EDEN PARK - Racists IN PARK told me to get ... (Oct '15) Nov 18 Big bad john 33
News Tarrant breakfast crawl: First Watch Nov 17 michaelchapman127 1
Colleyville murder suspect returned to Tarrant ... (Mar '15) Oct '16 Pat banks 38
lexi phillips Sep '16 curious 1

Colleyville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Colleyville Mortgages