did the county commissioners raise taxes after saing they would not?

Posted in the Collettsville Forum

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Jul 17, 2012
has to be said

Banner Elk, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

seems the citizens of avery county are to get higher taxes with no more services provided. I would be interested in how many of the current commissioners ran on the platform that they would not raise taxes?

I cannot believe these die hard republicans have lied to the tax payers.
has to be said

Banner Elk, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

this county does not need a forensic pathologist
how many murders or deaths are investigated in avery county a year? not enough to warrent the expense of having our own.
More benefits

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Judged:

Avery county needs to increase benefits for poor families and do more to help its citizens! Tell me what would Jesus do? The churches can just do so much!
CMPunk

Banner Elk, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Judged:

Lazy ass people need to get out and get a job..instead of looking for handouts!
Johnson Richards

Banner Elk, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2012

Judged:

Avery County has one of the lowest tax rates in the state. Still does even after the increase. That thanks to all the country club tax payers. With the drop in tourism due to the economy and the lack of new construction to help build the tax base, I can understand the increase just to maintain what we have. I was wondering what the sheriff was thinking when asking for raises or his department. It had to be that he was just putting on a show of fighting for his department. He could not have realistically thought that it would fly. The largest employer in Avery Co. is the state of North Carolina. Those employees have not had a raise in 5 years. But he was wanting to raise their taxes to pay for salary increases? Get real.
has to be said

Banner Elk, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2012

It was shocking that the sheriff has gone over budget for the last two years, seems he has no interest in adhering to the budget.
John

Banner Elk, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2012

Judged:

I think I remember all Avery county employees got raises last year but the Sheriff I believe gets a set amount for his department and he can choose if one employee or all of his employees gets the raise. I heard last year only about 5 of them divided the money and the rest got -0- raise. That is not fair. If one county employee gets a raise, then they all should get the same.
Johnson Richards

Banner Elk, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2012

has to be said wrote:
It was shocking that the sheriff has gone over budget for the last two years, seems he has no interest in adhering to the budget.
In my opinion, it shows a severe lack of managerial skills. The commissioners have to bail him out, year after year, because of his inept handling of his budget. You simply cannot spend money you do not have. But that's just my opinion.
under and over it

Jefferson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2012

All I can say is deal with it or move like I did! The majority of the voters put those old bastards back in so that's the way its going to be. When those old white hair bastards die and the manager dies from liver failure, maybe things will change.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Collettsville Discussions

Search the Collettsville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 7 min Red Square 55,919
Sci-Fi movie about Brown Mountain lights debuts... 7 hr Not impressed 6
Never Work At Advance Pierre Foods in Claremont... (Mar '12) 15 hr Ali Greenwoods 23
Newland authorities investigate homicide after ... (Dec '13) Wed LittleBit 70
Dood Pritchard (Jul '13) Wed LittleBit 276
The High Sheriff of Avery County (Dec '12) Jul 22 LittleBit 53
Linville Music Thread Jul 21 Musikologist 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Collettsville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••