Houston, You're Not Gay Enough, Surve...

Houston, You're Not Gay Enough, Survey Finds

There are 5 comments on the Houstonpress.com story from Jul 20, 2010, titled Houston, You're Not Gay Enough, Survey Finds. In it, Houstonpress.com reports that:

Although Houston is the biggest city in the country with an openly gay mayor and the launching pad for the landmark Lawrence v. Texas case, we're just not queer enough for some people: The latest Gay/Lesbian Index rankings of the top 20 gayest cities includes Austin and Dallas -- freakin' Dallas -- but not Space City.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Houstonpress.com.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#1 Jul 20, 2010
Well it is Texas. I'm shocked that in Texas that there are any gay areas with the mentality of quite a few Texans.

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Jul 20, 2010
Well, Texas does have a "rumored" to be closet case Governor in Perry, so you just never know.

Still doesn't exactly sound like paradise to me, and I live in Alabama-approximating Pennsylvania....

Breckenridge, CO

#3 Jul 21, 2010
Was there once. Did not seem to be very gay to me.

Since: Jun 08

San Antonio, TX

#4 Jul 21, 2010
Having lived in Texas all my life, I have to say that there are places where it is ok to be gay if you know where to look. The areas tend to be localized such as Cedar Springs in Dallas and Montrose in Houston. There is even a gayborhood in San Antonio centered around N. Main. And although the attitude of the general population is one of distrust of homosexuality, I think it is changing. I have even managed to get a district court to agree to allow a same-sex marriage to satisfy a personal legal issue. So even though there is not true equality in Texas, I think it is improving.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#5 Jul 21, 2010
I haven't been to Houston since the 70's, but it was plenty gay then. However, the bigotry of the gays was quite striking to me. I hooked up with a Hispanic fellow, and I could tell my friends were not amused. By the same token, when I was in Minneapolis, they looked down on whites who hooked up with Native Americans. Really is strange how we demonstrate bigotry when we, ourselves have to endure it. Here in St. Louis it has typically been with AAs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

College Station Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heroin/drugs (Apr '13) Oct 9 Hockbb61 39
House of Hope/ Madisonville Rehab (May '11) Oct 3 Mommajohnson 38
who runs city hall? (Jan '12) Aug '16 fsjf 3
Review: Woody's Gags & Gifts (Dec '13) Aug '16 IDK 25
I need a good honest waterwell company. (Jul '11) Aug '16 Michael Lee 2
Hearne Police Harassment Jul '16 DHHR Party 2
Brazos County Libertarian Party meeting Jun '16 Tread 1

College Station Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance