Texas State Board of Education considers Islam in textbooks

Full story: El Paso Times

A social conservative bloc of the Texas State Board of Education has drafted a resolution saying textbook publishers should limit what they print about Islam in world history books.
Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Sep 22, 2010
curious

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Judged:

Oh no, those racist/bigoted white folk who control Texas children reading material are at it again!
whatever

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Judged:

omg why dont they get rid of history all together, they seemed to have gotten rid of all the important stuff and put Oparah
TexasGirl

Mabank, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Judged:

I am so glad this issue is coming to the public light. It is very important that history is taught correctly.
Hector

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Judged:

TexasGirl wrote:
I am so glad this issue is coming to the public light. It is very important that history is taught correctly.
Teaching history correctly doesn't seem to be a priority for our State Board of Education.
Mame

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Judged:

I beleive equal time for each- but one not more than the other. I am concerned for my children , I will teach my faith at home by trying to live my faith (example). If that doesn't work, I have failed not the school.
jose luis

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Judged:

good idea.
how sad

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Judged:

What a crock of @$%#! The "Select" members of BoE want textbooks to be watered down versions of "reality". Texas is a mixture of cultures, races and creeds (hence the 6 flags),Native Americans, Katrina survivors, 9/11 survivors, etc... History good or bad has happened and will continue to do so. To pick and choose what is "PC" shows discriminatory practices. Each several years it gets beyond crazy as to what goes into education books. How are the children going to learn the real history, the richness, the struggles and lessons learned throughout the years. History is to show compassion, understanding and tolerance; not how many lines a certain group gets. Besides, seperation of church and state (faith and school) should not be in the school unless it is private school.(yes, I hear grumbles.) I believe in a moment of silence to have each person believe in his/her beliefs. But all history should be included as is or was, in equal paragraphs or pages. The BoE should be open-minded, not politically nor religiously inclined one way or another.
Christian

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Judged:

As usual those who have Christian values and beliefs are being portrayed as the bad evil ones and those who are not even from this country are portrayed as the poor innocent ones who never do wrong. Since when has islam ever cared about america. Since when have muslims ever loved america as much as christians do. Never.
Islam

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Judged:

Islam the faith that puts up a monument on the very spot where thousand were killed in its name. God bless those who died in New York on 9-11
Hector

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Judged:

Christian wrote:
As usual those who have Christian values and beliefs are being portrayed as the bad evil ones and those who are not even from this country are portrayed as the poor innocent ones who never do wrong. Since when has islam ever cared about america. Since when have muslims ever loved america as much as christians do. Never.
What does teaching about the history of Islam or the history of Christianity have anything to do with the faux-patriotism that is currently infesting American society?

And how do you know how much or how little Muslim-Americans love their country? How can your or I gauge something intangible like "love of country"? Fact is, you can't, so it's irrelevant. Bottom line is teach history the way it happened. Show the good and bad of all religions, including Christianity and Islam.
Destructor

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Judged:

The State of Texas already has islamic awareness, theology and learning centers scattered across Texas. They're call Texas department of criminal justice prison units.
toomuch

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2010

Judged:

Why don't we just let the Tea Party control our schools? It seems like that are already trying to control its books. If Texas sets a national standard for textbooks, what national standard will this set? Will Texas be the laughing stock of American democracy? The shining example of what not to do?
toomuch

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2010

Judged:

Why don't we just let the Tea Party control our schools? It seems like th[ey] are already trying to control its books. If Texas sets a national standard for textbooks, what national standard will this set? Will Texas be the laughing stock of American democracy? The shining example of what not to do?
Obama bin Biden

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2010

Judged:

Miller is clearly the liberal leftwing nut job in this case that wants less Christianity taught.
This has nothing to do with politics and everything about what is right.

Good try Miller, but we are on to your game and you will be out of a job soon.
Obama bin Biden

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2010

Judged:

toomuch wrote:
Why don't we just let the Tea Party control our schools? It seems like th[ey] are already trying to control its books. If Texas sets a national standard for textbooks, what national standard will this set? Will Texas be the laughing stock of American democracy? The shining example of what not to do?
We would be a lot better off if the Tea Party controlled the schools.
Haven't you noticed how many people have pulled their kids out of public school?
There's a reason for it.
Hello?
Anybody home?

Think about it for half a second.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

College Station Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

College Station People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••