Roadway Worker Killed On Grand Centra...

Roadway Worker Killed On Grand Central Parkway

There are 10 comments on the CW11 New York WPIX-TV story from Jul 10, 2012, titled Roadway Worker Killed On Grand Central Parkway. In it, CW11 New York WPIX-TV reports that:

A roadway worker was struck and killed by a drunk driver Tuesday on the Grand Central Parkway.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CW11 New York WPIX-TV.

DONAVAN

AOL

#1 Jul 10, 2012
FIND OUT Y THIS HIGHWAY WORKER WAS NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE A BACKUP TRUCK BACK HIM UP SO HE DOES NOT GET HIT.LAYING OUT 150 FT OF CONES. TOTALLY UNEXEPTABLE. DOT ALWAYS BACKS UP THERE PEOPLE WHO LAY CONES OUT .WHY DID THIS COMPANY NOT HAVE PROPER PROTECTION FOR THIS MAN?
TDH

Kings Park, NY

#2 Jul 11, 2012
You're commenting on an incident you know nothing about. The crew was using a back-up (attenuator) truck. However he was laying out cones when he was killed.
Al Ehl

Eastport, NY

#3 Jul 11, 2012
Was this non-union operation.....says it all.

This job needed a Union Safety Officer...pay me my double salary, double pension,& double annuity and I'll keep ya safe.(as long as you work within my sight at the golf club)
TDH

Fairfax, VA

#4 Jul 11, 2012
If you're going to comment on this tragedy please get the facts correct. Welsbach Electric Corp. is a Local #3 IBEW contractor (one of the largest unions in the world). The electrician died using proper safety precautions and equipment. NOTHING Will prevent an intoxicated non-licensed driver from barreling into your safety area and hitting you. Why don't the both of you who are ill informed focus on the drunk driver who took an innocent mans life??
T Dunne

West Babylon, NY

#5 Jul 11, 2012
I have worked for Welsbach Electric for the past 12 years. Unfortunately I am not employed with them anymore due to hard times in our industry. Welsbach one of many Local 3 shops in the IBEW is very and may I say again VERY safety conscience. I have worked in many parts of Welsbach and always felt safe especially on the roadways. There was a back up truck there when this unfortunate situation occurred due the the stupid act of a drunken driver. May our fallen brother rest in peace. And may God Bless His family.
fact finder

Bronx, NY

#6 Jul 11, 2012
It appears from looking at the photos that these men were working in a location where the traffic is just coming off of a steep curve and therefore beginning to accelerate again. Considering this location and the fact that it was the fast lane, there should have been a minimum of two (bona fide) attenuator trucks and 5 workers. In this situation though, there was a dump truck with an attenuator attachment and only two workers. Unfortunately these types of practices are standard fare for this particular company. It's a shame that they allow money to factor into their decisions regarding employee safety and now a good man has died because of it. God Bless Frank and may he rest in peace.
T Dunne

West Babylon, NY

#7 Jul 11, 2012
Fact Finder actually it wasn't a dump truck. It was an actual attenuator truck. Take a look at this video. http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story... . It doesn't take away from the fact that this guy was drunk and driving without a license.
shameless-li

Fairfield, CT

#8 Jul 12, 2012
fact finder wrote:
It's a shame that they allow money to factor into their decisions regarding employee safety and now a good man has died because of it. God Bless Frank and may he rest in peace.
frank was killed because of a DRUNK driver, not the fault of the company.
the company could have had the best security for it's workers and something like this would still happen...regardless.

sympathy to this mans family.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Jul 12, 2012
TDH wrote:
If you're going to comment on this tragedy please get the facts correct. Welsbach Electric Corp. is a Local #3 IBEW contractor (one of the largest unions in the world). The electrician died using proper safety precautions and equipment. NOTHING Will prevent an intoxicated non-licensed driver from barreling into your safety area and hitting you. Why don't the both of you who are ill informed focus on the drunk driver who took an innocent mans life??
Why would a union electrician be setting out cones on the road? Were they electric cones?
T Dunne

West Babylon, NY

#10 Jul 14, 2012
liner you shouldn't even post anything. What a stupid thing to say.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

College-Point Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Abel Arcia Law Office (Jun '09) 3 hr Ana 20
grass cut 6 hr wanda 1
News Pack of coyotes 'escape' from Rikers Island :0 20 hr Bloody Bill Anderson 4
News Jehovah's Witnesses put former Brooklyn Heights... Tue GreatSouthbay4040 2
News Are we just too compassionate to transgender pe... Tue TerriB1 10
Know why Bayer& co can Tue Jemima 1
News Development in College Point is wreaking havoc ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 marilyn sullivan 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

College-Point Mortgages