Astronomers Uncover A Surprising Trend in Galaxy Evolution

Oct 20, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Earth & Sky

A comprehensive study of hundreds of galaxies has revealed an unexpected pattern of change that extends back 8 billion years.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2012

Like the vid in the article.

In isolated systems the dull boring ellipticals also eventually regrow a disc and turn back into spirals, originating as an Sa via an initial stage with a thin drag & spin disc surrounding the central merger remnant black hole with low precession rate (see Avatar pic; M104 for example).

The E systems common in large clusters are only common as a result of ram stripping by passage through intracluster gas.

The other increasing trend is that the large mature clusters with a cD galaxy in the middle will eventually develop a cooling flow onto the cD when the galaxy becomes near stationary in the core of a big cluster following mergers with several smaller giant E systems, lenticulars, and SB0 galaxies.

Also found in big clusters with an intracluster gas pool, that a lot of the lenticulars and also SB0 type galaxies were spirals that were ram stripped. The outer ring of stars in Sb spirals eventually gravitationally condenses into 2 knots on either side of the central core of the original spiral forming an SB0. The galaxies with a big bulge and small arm system evolve into lenticulars in the cluster.

Found in many cases in big clusters that the giant E systems are the result of random collisions and mergers of the ram stripped spirals orbiting in the intracluster gas pool. Most of those then drop into the surrounds of the cD in the middle, causing the cD to boogie around in the cluster core, most of the time preventing condensation of the intracluster gas.

Next stage of big cluster evolution involves a cooling flow and spherical star formation on the stationary cD in the big cluster core. See NGC 1275 and the Phoenix cluster for details.

Have a nice day: Ag
i dont know

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

could ellipticals actually be spirals seen at an angle that makes them look elongated it seems long and skinny goes against sense because spun objects like galaxies should i think flatten into a disk like spun dough flattens into a round pizza shape i dont know im just wondering
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

Pure fantasy, courtesy of the evolutionary fairy.
umm

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

Psychology wrote:
Pure fantasy, courtesy of the evolutionary fairy.
Not like like good ole bible huh?
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

umm wrote:
<quoted text>
Not like like good ole bible huh?
Evidence?
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

I don't argue bible, I argue science. Show evidence.
umm

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

Psychology wrote:
I don't argue bible, I argue science. Show evidence.
Well your the one citing the evolution fairy... It seems like you know it all, please, enlighten us...
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

umm wrote:
<quoted text>
Well your the one citing the evolution fairy... It seems like you know it all, please, enlighten us...
I don't like religion. I don't like evolution for the same reasons.

Show evidence.

My real name is Jim Ryan.
The Truth

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>I don't like religion. I don't like evolution for the same reasons.

Show evidence.

My real name is Jim Ryan.
So your theory or how we're here?
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
So your theory or how we're here?
I don't know, but as science feels the need to force evolution, science needs to give evidence or it proves it is little more than a government tool, to rid itself of religious power and at the same time, destroying the minds of children.

Science and schools teach gravity as if it were a law and it's not. Science teaches plate tectonics as if it were law, when it is no such thing. Science uses theories to back up other theories and the ignorance just keeps going.

Nuneaton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

i dont know wrote:
could ellipticals actually be spirals seen at an angle that makes them look elongated it seems long and skinny goes against sense because spun objects like galaxies should i think flatten into a disk like spun dough flattens into a round pizza shape i dont know im just wondering
Ellipticals are characterised by the absence of the gas & dust that is typical of a spiral.

A close look @ the light distribution contours of ellipticals indicate that in clusters most ellipticals are lenticulars derived from ram stripped spirals seen at a variety of angles.

Larger ellipticals in clusters and the usual isolated giant elliptical such as Maffei 1 are the results of collision & merger and their light distribution contours indicate a boxy or barred shape with a considerable number being spud shaped triaxial ellipticals.

Isolated ellipticals gradually turn back into spirals via the drag & spin disc that is the result of the ferocious magnetic field surrounding the black hole formed from the merger of the 2 original core black holed of the spirals that collided & merged. The drag & spin disc is a late result once the starlight UV flux has dropped to A type or cooler, following the initial starburst caused by the merger which initially drives the gas shed by giants and supergiants out of the system to the outskirts. The central merged black hole busy munching stars orbiting @ high density near the core may also be responsible for driving the initial gas out of the merged E.

ellipticals and lenticulars orbiting in a big cluster with a lot of hot intracluster gas will remain ram stripped for the duration & any gas shed by its quota of red giant stars and planetary nebulae will join the intracluster gas pool.

As stated earliwer a giant E (the cD) will eventually condense this gas pool into stars once it becomes massive enough via mergers and tidal stripping of less massive ellipticals in the cluster core, will eventually condense the intracluter gas via a spherical cooling flow. This intracluster gas pool is usually 10 to 100* the maass of the visible galaxies in the cluster so the condensation eventually produces a bloody great big spherical galaxy right in the middle of the cluster.
As this process starts late in the history of galaxy clusters, there are few big clusters that have reached this stage in the visible time elapsed.

Note: the nearest elliptical: Maffei 1 is a relatively recently formed elliptical caused by the collision & merger of 2 medium sized spirals, it is approximately E3 and a classical "spud" shape.

In the virgo cluster M84 is a lenticular with a dust disc that is turning back into a spiral after drifting out of the virgo cluster gas pool. M86 is a lenticular or possibly a tidally distorted E making a close pass of M87 and shows a blueshift as a result of its rapid motion toward us as it begins to swing around M87. M87 is a cD galaxy formed from the collision and merger of at least 2 giant ellipticals, boogie-ing around in the core of the virgo cluster and busily munching stars close to the 6.4 billion solar mass black hole in the coreformed from the merger of at least 2 original core black holes. Its motion in the virgo cluster can be seen (toward M86) via the radio jets (Virgo A) being spat out by the black hole, which eventually slow down into a radio tail.

M60 is a giant E formed from the merger of 2 lenticulars with a merged black hole in the core of 4.7 billion solar masses. It is on the outswing from a pass around M87.

That should do.

Nuneaton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know, but as science feels the need to force evolution, science needs to give evidence or it proves it is little more than a government tool, to rid itself of religious power and at the same time, destroying the minds of children.
Science and schools teach gravity as if it were a law and it's not. Science teaches plate tectonics as if it were law, when it is no such thing. Science uses theories to back up other theories and the ignorance just keeps going.
Law is a human social structure.

Sciance and geolgy are merely means of understanding nature which being natural completely ignores human social structure and commands.

Humans argue (typical), nature acts (absolute).

Attempting to argue against nature naturally results in a large number of humans being forced back into becoming monkays. This is why there has never EVER been a sucessful economy derived from enslavement. Records of such attempts and failures date to biblical times and before via archaeological studies, and continues right up to the fall of the siviet union, and reports of the economic failure of the Evangelical clique of the George W Bush regime.

Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Just ignore the context, oh, you did.

Nuneaton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Psychology wrote:
Just ignore the context, oh, you did.
Note: got lots of fun & games in the web radio link transmitter again (a bit foggy over here) so got lots of typos where none previously existed.

When encountering a typo please insert correct english (or american) translation of the snowy TV screen fuzz that resulted between post and receipt.

ps.
More about humans: Finished reading the book of moron via the local latterday saits idiots and as a result will definitely back Obama as a return to pseudo religious idiocy is NOT a good idea for the post Bush USA right now.
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Judged:

Adrian Godsafe MSc wrote:
<quoted text>
Note: got lots of fun & games in the web radio link transmitter again (a bit foggy over here) so got lots of typos where none previously existed.
When encountering a typo please insert correct english (or american) translation of the snowy TV screen fuzz that resulted between post and receipt.
ps.
More about humans: Finished reading the book of moron via the local latterday saits idiots and as a result will definitely back Obama as a return to pseudo religious idiocy is NOT a good idea for the post Bush USA right now.
The above ag moron, giving advice to people of other countries. Must be a limey thing.

Nuneaton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
The above ag moron, giving advice to people of other countries. Must be a limey thing.
If George (Idiot) Bush had not told Tony Blair what to do in the UK and how to do it, I would not have needed to waste my time explaining his mistake to people likely to be hit by the same thing again.

UK Labour party is well & truly out of office in large part due to reciept of advice from Bush regime, but he is not alone in giving UK Labour party bad advice.

Other critical mistakes made by UK Labour party involved...
Reciept of advice on governance from Silvio Burlusconi, and also from what appears to be the Calabrian Mafia.
Israeli Right wing (via Peter Mandelson).
Numerous Russian Oligarchs.
The Irish Traveller lobby (Allied to and working for the pre 1920s southern Irish constitution).
The Communists (again with 1920s constitution) whom as a result of the Bulk labour party being unable to spell put their head of office into the position of Chief Economist (Chancellor) of the UK from 1997 until he booted Tony Blair out of office, and took over with an agenda of turning the UK into a (Failed) communist state.
The UK trade unions whom wanted to be paid a vast amount of money for going on permanent paid holiday and getting other people to do their jobs with less then a subsistence wage.
And last but definitely NOT least... Advice and orders from the USA Teamsters union (remember Jimnmy Hoffa?) with exactly the same agenda as the Trade unionists.

The real surprise is that the USA financially crashed before the UK ran out of money attempting to emulate the Republican party's governance.

I would rather strongly advise a lack of repetition of the same mistake as a large number of the USA & UK population are unable to get you out of the financial mess that would result due to an outstanding blacklist stored on a database in the USA preventing them from gaining paid employment with tax deductions at any time...(refer to Teamsters union above for the how & wherefore & Republican retort of "get a job" to the victims of said blacklists)... which means that those blacklist victims will never be able to haul your ass out of the fire by taking part in any future global economy until the cause of the blacklist is addressed person by person at great cost to any state where it has taken place.

In my case look no further than "Fedex" which blacklisted the entire town with maximum prejudice when it pulled out disgusted at a theft scam run by its local senior managers making up by workforce & the time 2% maximum of the population of the town. With the blacklist then perpetuated by wage theives trading as temp agencies set up by said managers thus bypassing the blacklist and continuing the scam in all other logistics hub sectors compounded by regionalisation & enforced servitude under the UK labour party.

I refused to work for the wage thieves on discovery of the scam and was therefore internationally; (no joke)... blacklisted.

As an aside there is also a Taliban Madrassa nearby (they also manage wage thief agencies), and also an evangelical mission with very similar agenda right next door.
The Mormons disappeared about 2 months ago as a result of lack of funds, and the discovery that only people whom have lost absolutely everything including their senses, and are bums on a streetcorner will ever agree with anything they say & wish to join them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent College Park Discussions

Search the College Park Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Review: Gary Gerstenfield Attorney (Feb '12) Jul 11 TV Lawyer 14
NASA data shows nationwide air improvement Jun 28 SpaceBlues 1
Phony social worker convicted (May '06) Jun 27 BSDOTCOMM 155
Rania Peet's Haunted Garden Jun 26 Truth 2
Falkland Chase Apartments removes access to wat... Jun 25 Linda Suzuki 1
Southern Baptists Could Weigh President, Gays Jun '14 Zombie Corpse Rental 1
Md. "BOLO" for Stolen Bunny Suit Jun '14 Naughtyrobot 2
•••
•••