Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 201810 comments on the www.cnn.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

Ism s

Sierra Madre, CA

#228653 Jan 30, 2014
This is meant for anyone leaving those nasty little postings:

1.) Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.

2.) Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.

3.) Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.

4.) Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.

5.) Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228654 Jan 30, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Moral disapproval is NOT the only reason polygamy is illegal.
How many times do we have to go down this road BEFORE it sinks in? There are plenty of other reasons. I've posted them many times. You ridicule them and then dismiss them, even though they come from experts. You know... people that have done actual research.
You can ignore the reasons, I really don't care. But don't even try to say they don't exist.
[229] As Dr. Witte further summarized, for more than 1750 years the Western legal tradition has also declared polygamy to be an offence. The denunciation of the practice has been based on natural, philosophical, political, sociological, psychological and scientific arguments. Polygamy, it has consistently been argued, is associated with harm: harm against women, against children, against men and against society. Dr. Witte reviewed some of these harms, as follows.
[230] The harms against women include: exploitation; commodification; social isolation; the inevitable favouritism of some women and deprecation of others within the household; discrimination; and, impoverishment.
[231] The harms against children include: the negative impacts on their development caused by discord, violence and exploitation in the marital home; competition between mothers and siblings for the limited attention of the father; diminishment of the democratic citizenship capabilities of children as a result of being raised by mothers deprived of their basic rights; impoverishment; and, violation of their fundamental dignity.
[232] The harms against men include: the unequal distribution of spouses and related ostracism of younger men forced to compete for a scarcer supply of women; the creation of a false appetite for patriarchy; inflammation of male lust; and deprivation of the essential bond of mutuality that is unique to the marital institution.
[233] Finally, the harms to society that flow from polygamy include: threats to the social order and a greater need for social supports as women lacking education and opportunity to enhance themselves, as well as their children, find themselves impoverished upon divorce or the death of their husbands; harms to good citizenship; threats to political stability; and the undermining of human dignity and equality.
http://www.courts.gov.bc.ca/jdb-txt/SC/11/15/...
None of those reasons make any sense when applied to three consenting adult gay men.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228655 Jan 30, 2014
rabnew wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm way off being a grandmother just yet.....you don't like my pic? You must be gay !! No complaints until now...Yep definitely gay.
Nah, you're hot. It's just that you called me an idiot. And being gay shouldn't be an insult.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228656 Jan 30, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Moral disapproval is NOT the only reason polygamy is illegal.
How many times do we have to go down this road BEFORE it sinks in? There are plenty of other reasons. I've posted them many times. You ridicule them and then dismiss them, even though they come from experts. You know... people that have done actual research.
You can ignore the reasons, I really don't care. But don't even try to say they don't exist.
[229] As Dr. Witte further summarized, for more than 1750 years the Western legal tradition has also declared polygamy to be an offence. The denunciation of the practice has been based on natural, philosophical, political, sociological, psychological and scientific arguments. Polygamy, it has consistently been argued, is associated with harm: harm against women, against children, against men and against society. Dr. Witte reviewed some of these harms, as follows.
[230] The harms against women include: exploitation; commodification; social isolation; the inevitable favouritism of some women and deprecation of others within the household; discrimination; and, impoverishment.
[231] The harms against children include: the negative impacts on their development caused by discord, violence and exploitation in the marital home; competition between mothers and siblings for the limited attention of the father; diminishment of the democratic citizenship capabilities of children as a result of being raised by mothers deprived of their basic rights; impoverishment; and, violation of their fundamental dignity.
[232] The harms against men include: the unequal distribution of spouses and related ostracism of younger men forced to compete for a scarcer supply of women; the creation of a false appetite for patriarchy; inflammation of male lust; and deprivation of the essential bond of mutuality that is unique to the marital institution.
[233] Finally, the harms to society that flow from polygamy include: threats to the social order and a greater need for social supports as women lacking education and opportunity to enhance themselves, as well as their children, find themselves impoverished upon divorce or the death of their husbands; harms to good citizenship; threats to political stability; and the undermining of human dignity and equality.
For decades, the prevailing logic has been that polygamy hurts women and children. That makes sense, since in contemporary American practice that is often the case. All of these stories are tragic, and the criminals involved should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.(That goes without saying, I hope.)

But legalizing consensual adult polygamy wouldn’t legalize rape or child abuse. In fact, it would make those crimes easier to combat.

Right now, all polygamous families, including the healthy, responsible ones, are driven into hiding. In the resulting isolation, crime and abuse can flourish unimpeded. Children in polygamous communities are taught to fear the police and are not likely to report an abusive neighbor if they suspect their own parents might be caught up in a subsequent criminal investigation. In a United States with legalized polygamy, responsible plural families could emerge from the shadows—making it easier for authorities to zero in on the criminals who remain there.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/double...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228657 Jan 30, 2014
Most of the Court’s argument is dedicated to the original meaning of the Constitution’s religion clauses, but also noteworthy is its passing comment on the basis of the law in question, a basis that the Court at that time apparently found unquestionably legitimate:“Polygamy has always been odious among the northern and western nations of Europe ... and from the earliest history of England polygamy has been treated as an offense against society.”

Reynolds has never been overturned and indeed has been cited as an authority by the modern Supreme Court. In it the Court tells us straightforwardly the basis of laws prohibiting polygamy: moral disapproval of the practice.

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2013/04/972...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228658 Jan 30, 2014
Ism s wrote:
This is meant for anyone leaving those nasty little postings:
1.) Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
2.) Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
4.) Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
5.) Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Poof threatens to beat me up with impunity because he has a rainbow pass. I think it's funny. Internet tough guy! Nothing more pathetic. He's coming to CA to beat me up over a silly topix thread!
Studder

Sierra Madre, CA

#228659 Jan 30, 2014
This is meant for anyone leaving those forking nasty little postings:

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#228661 Jan 30, 2014
rabnew wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah touché...you called me on that one! No, I shouldn't have used it as an insult because it isn't. Apologies to all my homosexual Topix friends. I hang my head in shame.
No sarcasm here...I mean it.
The fact that Frankie doen't see being called gay is a good sign. There is hope for him yet methinks.
Don't appologize to much. True, he caught you on your poor word choice but you didn't mean it that way.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228663 Jan 30, 2014
rabnew wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah touché...you called me on that one! No, I shouldn't have used it as an insult because it isn't. Apologies to all my homosexual Topix friends. I hang my head in shame.
No sarcasm here...I mean it.
You're hot! And in more than just good looks.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228664 Jan 30, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that Frankie doen't see being called gay is a good sign. There is hope for him yet methinks.
Don't appologize to much. True, he caught you on your poor word choice but you didn't mean it that way.
Yeah yeah, Frankie's maybe not a homophobe but he's still an icehole! I know the drill.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228665 Jan 30, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd say any man who doesn't think you're pretty hot must be gay. Hubba Hubba!

Ever think about doing it with a disabled old war vet? If that kink has even the slightest appeal to you lemme know. Put a US flag over my head and do me for Old Glory! WOOO~HOOOO! WOOT!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228666 Jan 30, 2014
I see the Italians are going to try Foxy Knoxy yet again. Let me predict the outcome. They will never find her guilty of murder. She is TOO damn HOT.

All her attorney need say is "Your honor. My client is SMOKIN hot!" She will not go to jail or be executed she is TOO HOT for any hetero man to find guilty.

See if I'm wrong.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#228667 Jan 30, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd say any man who doesn't think you're pretty hot must be gay. Hubba Hubba!
Ever think about doing it with a disabled old war vet? If that kink has even the slightest appeal to you lemme know. Put a US flag over my head and do me for Old Glory! WOOO~HOOOO! WOOT!
LOL
I don't think that's an itch I'm looking to scratch :-)
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228668 Jan 30, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
I don't think that's an itch I'm looking to scratch :-)
Hey, if it wasn't for me baby, you'd be speaking Viet Cong right now. A little love isn't too much to ask. Quick handie?
Reigns

Sierra Madre, CA

#228669 Jan 30, 2014
It's a new and old proven facts, stupity still reigns supreme on this topic.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228670 Jan 30, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Your own posts make you look stupid. Thanks for proving my point.
My posts say things like "The court has said the reason polygamy is illegal is because of moral disapproval. That's not a valid reason."

Your posts say things like "Your own posts make you look stupid. Thanks for proving my point."

Who's posts are more stupid?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228671 Jan 30, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times do we have to go down this road BEFORE it sinks in?
Chaulk

Sierra Madre, CA

#228672 Jan 30, 2014

Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228673 Jan 30, 2014
Chaulk wrote:
1. Poof calls me "fluckhead" and stuff like that.
2, Poof routinely threatens me.
3. Poof lies like a rug.
4. Poof is not nice. Poof makes fun of my disability and violates the ADA.
5. Poof deletes my posts on all threads.
6. Poof never gets deleted.
7. Topix ain't fair ha ha!
8. Poof is a jackass!
Come and get it

Sierra Madre, CA

#228674 Jan 30, 2014
We seem to have a issue or issues presented before us all:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colfax Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Court Wrap: Restitution hearing postponed in Ye... 12 hr Beverly Schuetz 1
News Nevada County opens public comment period for r... 13 hr Beverly Schuetz 1
Increased air traffic over Meadow Vista May 21 bobsyouruncle 1
David Dallas Withrow May 18 Sgt Joe Petrocell... 4
Patient blacklisting happens (Jul '06) May 11 kmtpkb2 33
Disillusioned with Child Protective Services in... (Jun '06) May 9 pushthrew 77
Highway 49 (Aug '11) May 9 cgross1010 3
More from around the web

Colfax People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE