What do we need in Coldwater?

Posted in the Coldwater Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Katherine

Bronson, MI

#1 Apr 11, 2007
What do we need in Coldwater? Do we need more recreation establishments for teens?
Do we need more nice affordable family restaurants? What are your thoughts?

Personally....I think that we need to concentrate on keeping our young people (18-25 year olds) in this community. There is nothing here in the form of employment once they graduate from high school and college. Many leave and do not come back.
Dan

Coldwater, MI

#2 May 25, 2007
Kids today are more fortunate than when I was young. They can escape, I could not. Coldwater needs to end the local gas gouging and get good employers - employers with a living wage and benifits. Without that but still having roads leading out of it you will never keep the brightest and most talented.
Katherine

Sturgis, MI

#3 May 26, 2007
Thank you Dan for your response. Come on Coldwater residents, I know that there are others out there with ideas.
Brian

United States

#4 Jun 2, 2007
There are alot of jobs in the surrounding area along with quite a few right in the imediate vicinity. The biggest problem I have seen with some of the area teens and young adults is they want to start out at the top. They aren`t willing to work for a lesser wage to learn the ropes. They(not all of them)think that the world is a big party and it owes them a living!!!
Brian

United States

#5 Jun 2, 2007
I don`t know why this says i`m from Mogadore,Oh. I`m a Coldwater Mi., native
Kate

United States

#6 Jun 4, 2007
A mall
J Martin A

United States

#7 Jun 8, 2007
I think we need an easy way for would-be new residents to find low-rent opportunities online.
-Especially for single men in their 30s that are clean, friendly, have a clean criminal record, don't do drugs, don't smoke, don't care if someone else smokes, and have guaranteed portable income.
And can be reached at apperson_james@yahoo.com.

In theory.:)
Katherine

Sturgis, MI

#8 Jun 22, 2007
I disagree with your comment Brian. There are many young people here (Coldwater) that are willing to work hard for less.

However, can you blame an adult for not wanting to work for minimum wage? I can name jobs in this community where you would think that the wages would be good but these people are not making diddly squat! Some of these individuals have at least two years of college.
I know adults who have bachelor degrees and their pay is terrible! They stay with their job because they enjoy their job.

I hope that Baker College expands in Coldwater.
Perhaps that will create a few new jobs for those looking for employment in a college setting.

Just my opinion.....
james

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Jul 27, 2007
I lived in Michigan for most of my life, I am now living in Fl.( for the past 4 years) and am thinking of moving back to the coldwater area, but can not find any work there... so if I was thinking of starting a bisness there, what is the most needed in there area??? I my self am tired of working for others, making them rich & not grtting anywhere..
A knowing Teen

Traverse City, MI

#10 Jul 28, 2007
Teens i believe need more jobs. everywhere you go now to find work when your still in high school you must be 18 or experienced. i haven't once found a company who would hire me either because of my age or my non experience, how do they expect me to become experienced if i have no chance in getting a job!...In creating mini malls or more shops i completely believe would increase the job rate for teens! think about this the closest malls or more retail stores around here our way out of our way, there are some in Battle Creek, Fort Wayne, and Angola. With the outlets being so far away our whole paycheck would be towards gas! i much rather spend my money i had to work for go to better cases then just gas!...so what we really need here in coldwater, is more retail stores for teen jobs!....
Katherine

Sturgis, MI

#11 Jul 31, 2007
james wrote:
I lived in Michigan for most of my life, I am now living in Fl.( for the past 4 years) and am thinking of moving back to the coldwater area, but can not find any work there... so if I was thinking of starting a bisness there, what is the most needed in there area??? I my self am tired of working for others, making them rich & not grtting anywhere..
I would seriously reconsider moving to Coldwater to start a new business. The economy is so bad here that many new businesses have either closed or are experiencing serious financial trouble.
We really need a nice roller skating rink that is air conditioned that is open year round.(I'm sorry Skate Ranch.) We need a good CD and music store. A nice franchise such as Jamba Juice or Cheeseburger in Paradise would be nice if you have the financial backing. Good Luck to you!
Katherine

Sturgis, MI

#12 Jul 31, 2007
A knowing Teen wrote:
Teens i believe need more jobs. everywhere you go now to find work when your still in high school you must be 18 or experienced. i haven't once found a company who would hire me either because of my age or my non experience, how do they expect me to become experienced if i have no chance in getting a job!...In creating mini malls or more shops i completely believe would increase the job rate for teens! think about this the closest malls or more retail stores around here our way out of our way, there are some in Battle Creek, Fort Wayne, and Angola. With the outlets being so far away our whole paycheck would be towards gas! i much rather spend my money i had to work for go to better cases then just gas!...so what we really need here in coldwater, is more retail stores for teen jobs!....
You are correct. Coldwater does seem to "overlook" the teen population. Have you tried other areas besides retail? Just a thought..... Good Luck to you.
Elizabeth

University Center, MI

#13 Aug 5, 2007
I'm a college student from coldwater and the reason's I wanted to leave were simple, there's no where to work, there's nothing to do for young people, I mean come on where's the dance club's in coldwater? Where's the mall, a real skate park , where's the gay bar there is a large homosexual population developing in and around coldwater. Where's the water park or an amusement park, there's nothing to do there. I'm sorry but historical site's and the county fair will only get you so far. And it's not like we don't have room anywhere for any of this stuff I know I've seen two old worn down factory's that aren't even used anymore in town there abandoned. If you put something like a mall in coldwater it would open up a whole lot of job's for teens.
Katherine

Sturgis, MI

#14 Aug 5, 2007
Elizabeth wrote:
I'm a college student from coldwater and the reason's I wanted to leave were simple, there's no where to work, there's nothing to do for young people, I mean come on where's the dance club's in coldwater? Where's the mall, a real skate park , where's the gay bar there is a large homosexual population developing in and around coldwater. Where's the water park or an amusement park, there's nothing to do there. I'm sorry but historical site's and the county fair will only get you so far. And it's not like we don't have room anywhere for any of this stuff I know I've seen two old worn down factory's that aren't even used anymore in town there abandoned. If you put something like a mall in coldwater it would open up a whole lot of job's for teens.
Elizabeth:
You are so RIGHT!!! Here is the problem: The "powers that be" in Coldwater DO NOT want to change. Their little minds only think of preserving what we have...and that is cool...but, we must provide for all segments of our population from infants to children to teens, young adults, middle age adults, and senior citizens. And yes, I do agree that there is a large gay population in Coldwater. We must provide for them as well. We have no problem in providing for other cultures so why can't we take care of the above mentioned segments of our population? Not everyone in this town is over 65!
odysseus

Coldwater, MI

#15 Aug 11, 2007
And what, pray tell, does the "large gay population" in Coldwater need? Special "gay" grocery stores? And AIDS clinic?

And what other cultures are being catered to by the "powers that be"? Do you mean the Latinos? They run their own stores -- they don't expect to be catered to.

People, grow up! If the "large gay community" [I think that statement is wishful thinking] needs something, they should come up with it themselves and STOP EXPECTING A HANDOUT from local government or the state. I don't get this attitude of "we must provide for all segments of our population." We have to provide entertainment for all segments? Where is THAT in the Constitution? We have to provide jobs for everyone? Again, where is that in the Constitution? Geeze Louise! What a bunch of whiners and crackpots!

BTW, I'm not over 65. I'm not over 45. And I'd argue that we're not taking very good care of our seniors, either. I know -- I help a lot of them.
Jill

Sturgis, MI

#16 Aug 11, 2007
Chill out odysseus! Nobody said anything about the Latinos or a free handout either!

You sound very narrow minded regarding your statement about gays and AIDS clinics.
Nate

Green Bay, WI

#17 Aug 24, 2007
I love Coldwater. Some people want a small town feel, others want the big city feel. Coldwater is nice because it has a small town feel with SOME big city convieniences. I lived in Ann Arbor for 5 years, and I actually like Coldwater better.
Aloha

Coldwater, MI

#18 Oct 6, 2007
We need the City leaders to understand that most of the citizens are taxed to death and need a break. Also, Everything is in the 1st ward. It would be nice for them to notice the other 3 wards of the city. the only elementary school with classes for the gifted is the new a has everything Max Larsen. Now they want to spend $2m to improve the Heritage Parks again. That thing is huge but not much anywhere else for the tax payers. If $2m really should be spent at this time it should be in another ward.

Don't forget, we will need a new jail and infrastructures soon and the state is chopping funds to our schools left and right. I can't afford the taxes on my over appraised hoe as it is. Two paychecks only go so far....
odyssesus

Coldwater, MI

#19 Nov 3, 2007
What does Coldwater need, imho:

* Olive Garden;

* Menards' or Lowe's (instead of Home Depot);

* a new police chief (with morals this time);

* Chicago-style, deep-dish pizza parlor;

* donors to complete renovation of The Tibbits;

* more industry and manufacturing businesses;

* people to stop whining and appreciate that this is a good community, despite lacking some of the amenities listed above.
Carly

Martin, MI

#20 Nov 10, 2007
I think that we can really live without a new jail. The prisoners do not need to live in luxury which is what they would have with a new jail. I'm sorry, but your tax dollars and mine could be spent elsewhere.

If this comes up for a vote again, which it will because there are certain individuals in this county who wants to get this done and over with no matter what, I know that I will be against it.
That is one thing that is wrong with Branch County, people are afraid to express their opinions. Not me! I'll be out there against it that is for sure!

Odysseus, I liked your post regarding a new police chief with morals. I hope that we get one soon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coldwater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Finding a friend that has passed away Jun '15 malohe53 1
News Two arrested in meth bust on Coldwater's e... Jun '15 finally10 1
History/Founding of: GLENRAY Manufacturing Co. ... (Feb '07) Jun '15 Mike 8
Glass replacement parts. May '15 Bernie 1
larry d. bradford (May '10) May '15 Larry Bradford 29
Could I be pregnant? May '15 sissygirl 2
Haunted Michigan (Jun '06) Apr '15 tasha 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coldwater Mortgages