First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Aloha

Coldwater, MI

#1 Oct 8, 2007
I think something political is going on.

Most of the offences are drug and alcohol related yet some local halfway houses have lots of beds available. It seems like self-pay treament would trump taxpayer funded jail.

I think they just want to force us to pass a millage for a new jail with oak trim.
Odysseus

Coldwater, MI

#2 Oct 9, 2007
The current jail facility is a converted rest home, and was never designed for its present use. This is an example of needing to maintain the infrastructure

BTW, everything is political, in case you were wondering.:)
Aloha

United States

#3 Oct 9, 2007
I am well aware of the history of the jail and the failed millage for a new fancy one not so long ago. I think they are purposely cramming it so they can get headlines etc. Then they can convince us to vote on a new millage proposal for it.

Remember, no one was sentanced until October and then the jail was flooded. If so, that DIRTY politics.
Aloha

United States

#4 Oct 9, 2007
I'm from Coldwater but I am using a differant computor. No idea why it says East Lansign
Odysseus

Coldwater, MI

#5 Oct 13, 2007
Can you find a county jail in the south third of the lower peninsula that isn't at maximum capacity? I think it is a stretch to say "they" are purposely cramming it. Who are "they"? The people who are in jail are almost always there because they need to be there -- they have allegedly broke the law and await arraignment, or they have been found guilty and the statute requires their incarceration. The judges here are not anxious to send anyone to jail -- Cherry in particular is very liberal when it comes to jail time. The problem is that we have a lot of miscreants in Branch County and we don't have a lot of space. I'm not sure what the capacity of the county jail is. But last time I heard, Calhoun jail is at capacity, Kalamazaoo is at capacity, Berrien is at capacity, Van Buren is at capacity, Jackson is at capacity, etc. The statuatory requirements for jail time need to be amended if [and this is a huge if] you really want to decrease jail population. I'm convinced that those who are currently in jail need to be there. For instance, do you want to release someone [in Calhoun County jail] who allegedly shook a baby into a coma? Do you really want to release an alleged drug dealer? Do you really want to release a fellow whose been taken in for drunk driving? These are typical of the people who are currently in the county jail system. There are a lot who are in for probation violation, too. They had been out on personal recognizance and authorities have no choice but to incarcerate. The fact is that most counties need new and bigger jails.

The US has more people per capita in jail or prison than any other country. That is not only a testament to vigorous law enforcement, it is also the unavoidable result of a legal code that requires, repeat REQUIRES incarceration for a large number of offenses, both misdemeanors and felonies. I know that the Branch County sheriff's department tries to get people out of jail as soon as possible [time off for good behavior] because they need to free up beds.
Aloha

Coldwater, MI

#6 Oct 13, 2007
I think that this time there may well be facts that you aren't aware or haven't considered Odysseus.

For instance, so many sentencings were put off until October from September. The judges weren't surprised by this - they scheduled it. I believe it was something like 25-45 of them. The next thing you know we need to release inmates 25 early. If nothing else it is very poor planning at the least.

Also, there are many that want to and could be could be diverted to, sentenced to or given jail credit time if they were in a halfway house or other available rehabs. These also offer a controlled environment that protects the public. Thee to six months in a halfway house where the convict foots the bill offers space in jails for others as well as greatly reduces the chance of recidivism over simple jail time. This isn't being done at the rate it could if at all. The drunk driver you referred to is the prime example.

This isn't for the baby shakers and big time dealers but I believe conduct induced by alcohol and drug usage are the top reason people go to jail around here.

The county may well need a new jail but the last millage failed. I think they are stacking the deck with not so real but intentional emergency situations. Once they have the public upset enough we will see a new proposal for another millage.
Odysseus

Coldwater, MI

#7 Oct 13, 2007
I see what you mean, but I am still wary of your solution. In this community, a halfway house is going to have to be halfway between Bronson and Coldwater, as no one in town is going to want a halfway house nextdoor to them. Classic NIMBY -- Not In My BackYard. But I agree -- halfway houses will be cheaper.

Thanks for the info on the front-loaded docket.
Aloha

Coldwater, MI

#8 Oct 13, 2007
From what I read in the Hillsdale paper and the Jonesville weekly paper there is one just 16 miles down the road in Jonesville. It has lots of beds open. The papers said they work with the courts, DOC and county jails. I wonder if Branch County uses it? I'll bet not. I can't find the articles on the net or I would've posted the link but I read it in both within the last ten days.

And no, not in my bvack yard either.
Aloha

Coldwater, MI

#9 Oct 16, 2007
In the Coldwater Daily Reporter on 10/16/2007, way in the back, buried behind the classified ads is this article. http://www.thedailyreporter.com/articles/2007... This is the same news that was in Hillsdale news the week of Branch County’s release of 25 inmates. It was in Jonesville’s paper the next week. It is even the same exact article as in the Jonesville paper. See, there are things that can be done besides build a new county jail.
Aloha

Coldwater, MI

#10 Nov 2, 2007
Just a week or two ago I read in the back of the Daily Reporter that a Jonesville halfway house had allot of beds open for alcoholics and drug addicts. I'll bet Branch County hasn't sent one to it but they just released 19 more inmates early. This is really looking like they are just trying to scare us into building a new jail.
in the know

Coldwater, MI

#11 Nov 2, 2007
I spoke with a resident of Hope House last weekend. He has been there four months and not one person has been sent in from Branch County. He said he has housemates from Hillsdale, Lenawee, Livingston and Wastenaw but not Branch County. He says its saying his life and they have at least 10-12 empty beds and need some men.

The newspaper today says that they have tried all options. That place has been there for like 20-30 years but they don't know about it?
yeah right

Coldwater, MI

#12 Nov 9, 2007
One week ago the Daily Reporter quoted someone as saying that they had exausted all options including rehap before they did early releases. This simply is not true. They have had lots of information on rehap that they simply aren't choosing to ignore.
John

Coldwater, MI

#13 Nov 17, 2007
yeah right wrote:
One week ago the Daily Reporter quoted someone as saying that they had exausted all options including rehap before they did early releases. This simply is not true. They have had lots of information on rehap that they simply aren't choosing to ignore.
Check this out,

http://www.thedailyreporter.com/articles/2007...
John

Coldwater, MI

#14 Nov 17, 2007
Think about this;

Allot of jail terms are 30 days or less. For every person serving six months or more that you move to Hope House you will have a bed for SIX 30 day sentence intimates! With 12 beds currently open that means Branch County can free up beds for another 72 inmates over the next six months alone. If this had been done from the start of the year we may not have had to have any of the 50 or so resent releases.

An additional bonus is the men who are able to stay sober after leaving the house will not likely be needing any jail beds in the future. This is a solution that will propitiate continuation of itself. Best of all the cost to the county is ZERO.

Building a new with more space jail will only encourage more jail sentences by our judges.
John

Coldwater, MI

#15 Dec 12, 2007
Read the Reporter today. Now they are wanting to buy modular unit to house more people in the jail. They know how to solve the issue but are pretending they can't. They have many options not just rehabs.
jody

AOL

#16 Feb 22, 2008
the jail is not big enough to house all the people flip wants to send their so he can get a paycheck and do no real work he once told judge coyl i should do a year on a 90 day charge branch county has good judges just bad probation people and thay can fill a jail in one day if their ego is hurt and you all keep paying them so stop bitching!
jody

AOL

#17 Feb 22, 2008
fire the probation dept. and hire pros. then put the preveious jokers in jail because you will have lots of room
jody

AOL

#18 Feb 22, 2008
do what i did move only then will it set in how messed up branch co. is
tim

United States

#19 Mar 30, 2008
anyone who's been in branch county jail lately knows full well that the two biggest charges of people in the jail are CSC, which in my opinion should be prison time or death penalty (too bad michigan doesn't got that) and never jail time..or meth and other drug charges, which some of those, particularly meth labs, are prison time..they're in there for up to six months before sentenced..some even longer. i just got out of there a couple days ago - there are still plenty of empty beds..
Gordon Graeme

Coldwater, MI

#20 Jun 27, 2008
This should be discussed by the candidates for sheriff. I would like to know what Mr. Sneath and Mr. Loss have to say about this, as well as the current sheriff, Mr. Canon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coldwater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Haunted Michigan (Jun '06) Apr 25 tasha 9
larry d. bradford (May '10) Apr 22 curious 27
Poll Branch County Friend of the Court? (Jun '08) Mar '15 Rick Sebring 17
History/Founding of: GLENRAY Manufacturing Co. ... (Feb '07) Feb '15 Ricky Sea 7
News Bone Chilling Cold Adds To Winter Miseries Feb '15 Elise Gingerich 1
Jerry's A & W Rootbeer Stand (Oct '07) Nov '14 beagleladywv 101
what is the law on shooting in the limits of Re... (Aug '14) Aug '14 doodles 1
More from around the web

Coldwater People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]