Cold Spring Police Chief Darryl Burris killed in car crash

There are 14 comments on the Nov 16, 2007, Newsday.com story titled Cold Spring Police Chief Darryl Burris killed in car crash. In it, Newsday.com reports that:

Cold Spring's police chief Darryl Burris was killed in a car crash, according to the Putnam County Sheriff Donald Smith. via Newsday.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.com.

ashley

Fairfield, CT

#1 Nov 18, 2007
umm his name is spelt darrell burris and hes my uncle and i miss him like crazy
rip uncle darrell we all love and miss u
<3 ashley
ashley burris

Fairfield, CT

#2 Nov 19, 2007
wow people all need to get the facts straight he was 6 foot 9 not 6 foot 7 he he would have been 38 yesturday and he was a great guy i love him to death and miss him dearly he was a great uncle to play football with he taught me so much we would just play with dunkin and his son ryan we all love and miss darrell it is so hard to believe he is gone becauce every year we have thanksgiving togetha and now he wont be here this year i was supost to see him in a few day and now this....
its amazing how life can change in a matter of seconds live everyday like its your last ..... RIP unclel darrell we love and miss you

<3 ashley
Miranda M-Cold Spring

Albany, NY

#3 Nov 20, 2007
ashley wrote:
umm his name is spelt darrell burris and hes my uncle and i miss him like crazy
rip uncle darrell we all love and miss u
<3 ashley
Hi Im Miranda and Officer Darrell was a good man. I knew him very well and yes i did see they spelt iz name wrong. Let me just say that I am proubly one of the only teenagers in C.S that is truly mourning his loss. Most of us "trouble makers" did not truly appreciate Officer Darrell as much as we should of. Let me just say that when ever I got in2 trouble he was the 1 there, talking 2 me telling me everything will be ok. He took me to family court in carmel one time and i rember him just sitting with me the whole time that the court was deciding what 2 do with me next and he was just so great. He basicly told me that everything was gona be ok, he explained 2 me that i wasnt a bad kid, but just going through a tough stage. After that I would often see him around town and at my school with his dog Duncan. Now that hes gone its just...wierd. I will always rember how he looked out for me on many occasions. He was a great friend to me. I will miss him greatly. He is a great loss to everyone in my small community. I haven't cryed in a very long time but let me tell you when I found out saturday mourning I spent most of my day crying. But I know I will see him again soon in heaven.
Miranda M-Cold Spring

Albany, NY

#4 Nov 20, 2007
Oh and by the way I know it says Albany, NY but I am from cold spring, but the last time I saw your uncle wen he waz wit me in family court I got sent away 2 St. Annes in Albany, NY ok so yea i just wanted 2 make that clear and I am going to try 2 visit his grave site wensday when I go home 4 a visit. I am very sorry 4 ur loss.
Rebekah

Albany, NY

#5 Nov 21, 2007
Darrell was my 2nd cousin. We miss him very much.. My dad never cries... but man did he cry during the funeral. I guess that they like used to spend all of their time together and stuff. He was really upset. Darrell... We will miss you. Ryan... Good luck in the future!!
R.I.P. Darrell Burris November 15th,2007.
We Will Miss You.. From the Lent/Burris family
Bobbejo Armln

Middleburgh, NY

#6 Nov 22, 2007
I grew up in the Town of Middleburgh, where Darrell grew up. Darrell graduated with my brother Jim. He was a good kid. We all lost touch with him after he moved away. What a terrific man Darrell made of himself. He was loved and respected by many.
My deepest sympathy goes out to Darrell's family.
Lucy

Kingston, NY

#9 Nov 27, 2007
Darrell Burris was a great guy. I knew him very well. I miss him.I wish that accident never happened.
ashley

Florence, MA

#10 Feb 15, 2008
its been 3 months today ={ i still cant belive hes gone and it completely sucks i miss going camping with him ryan linda and dunccan ={ i miss you uncel darrell ..... so much ={
love you like crazy uncle <3
love always and forever ash...
this is sad

Dover, NJ

#11 Feb 15, 2008
Darrell sounds like he made a difference.
looking down on you

Adams, MA

#12 Aug 8, 2008
we'll never understand the way things happen in life.I know I've tried and spent forever asking why. theres a better place. there has to be. cause so many that deserved to be here are no longer here with me.
cracker

White Plains, NY

#13 Oct 28, 2008
Officer Burris was a wonderful man and a conscientious police officer. He was always helpful and caring. He is missed in our small village.

It is obvious to me from reading this forum that he was a wonderful person and uncle too.

God bless Darrell.
ashley burris

Suffield, CT

#14 Nov 19, 2008
it was a year 4 days ago.. i spent most of my day crying its still so hard... i still pick up the phone an go to call him once ina while an then relize nobodys going to pick up. bc hes gone!! Even a year later i still cry almost evry night bc it was such a ig loss to this family. he was such a great guy an i miss him soo much. ryan misses him like crazy to =( i hate how bad things always happen to the good people! the hardest thing is wanting to call him.. an knowing the only thing i will get is a dial tone! like today i got my licence an i wanted to call him but... i cant bc hes gone. forever! all we can do is stay stronge an hope for the best !

i miss you so much uncle darrell. you were an amazing guy an helped so many people!! i still talk about you alot, im sure you hear me =) i love an miss you uncle <3 see you soon !!

<3 ashley burris
Ryan burris

Schenectady, NY

#15 Mar 2, 2009
my name is ryan burris and i was darrells son. he was the greatest man and father a son could ask for. i love him and miss him so much.even though we fought we always worked it out.he was loving,careing and thoughtful.he always thought about others.thank you for the comments for him he would appreciate it and love them thank you all.

R.I.P. Darrell Burris
ashleyy burris

Williamstown, MA

#16 Mar 5, 2009
hey its ashhh
i seen your comment ryan just wanted to tell you to hang in thier an i love you an miss you
stay stronge bud hope to see you soon

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cold Spring Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Newburgh, NY (Aug '10) 7 hr steve 40
News Orange County man charged with sexual abuse of ... 13 hr mz concerned 1
News Serrano, Gilleo face first-degree murder charges (Feb '07) 14 hr Furious76 15
where is old lyng George Sinzer 15 hr InflatedEgo 2
Favorite Songs Apr 25 pusherman_ 38
Closest American Buffet? Apr 24 steve 2
Girl name Laurie Apr 12 Eric from Brooklyn 1
More from around the web

Cold Spring People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]