Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

So what's the story with someone embezzeling like $500,000 from Coffeyville Community College? Like what happened?? Isn't that tax payers money? I think I'm pissed...
Citizen

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

Community colleges are a joke, I taught at 2 different ones so I know. Every staff meeting was about how to get more funding, never talked about quality of education.
unhappy

Chanute, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Curious MG County Residen wrote:
So what's the story with someone embezzeling like $500,000 from Coffeyville Community College? Like what happened?? Isn't that tax payers money? I think I'm pissed...
Call Jill Koslosky at CCC. She's supposed to be the PR person who supplies answers like that; and when you get an answer, post it here, please, because what you're talking about is new to me and I'd like to know the story (assuming it really happened).
more_info

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

Curious MG County Residen wrote:
Give us more info please. You seem to be the only one that has heard of this so please pass what information you think you might have.
true

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

I think it was in the paper. It did happen,I'm surprised no one else is talking about it. Supposedly it was a former employee that embezzeled the money over a long period of time.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

Was on the front page of the journal on friday with more info coming monday.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

you mean the Journal actually printed news worth reading??? ALERT THE PRESS!!
Old Fart

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

I read the paper and it stated that the amount was rumored to be over $500,000. What does that (rumored) mean? Also how can more come monday when they don't have a monday paper? The independence paper said they were arrested at the courthouse address.
Concerned Taxpayer

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Judged:

Yes it was in the Coffeyville Journal on Friday and the arrests were put in the Independence Reporter unfortunately the Reporter didn't give much info except the normal of who was arrested under the arrest section of the paper and what they were charged with. Honestly, I'm surprised the Reporter didn't take the opportunity to really 'give it' to the public especially the Independence crowd. Maybe they are waiting awhile for the investigation to finish so they can give more information or maybe they are just waiting until Sunday morning (knowing they'll get more readers) to do a HUGE front page story...who knows? But really I'm surprised the folks that know aren't a little more peeved and concerned over a half a million dollars being taken from tax payers pockets...
curiouser and curiouser

Chanute, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Concerned Taxpayer wrote:
Yes it was in the Coffeyville Journal on Friday and the arrests were put in the Independence Reporter unfortunately the Reporter didn't give much info except the normal of who was arrested under the arrest section of the paper and what they were charged with. Honestly, I'm surprised the Reporter didn't take the opportunity to really 'give it' to the public especially the Independence crowd. Maybe they are waiting awhile for the investigation to finish so they can give more information or maybe they are just waiting until Sunday morning (knowing they'll get more readers) to do a HUGE front page story...who knows? But really I'm surprised the folks that know aren't a little more peeved and concerned over a half a million dollars being taken from tax payers pockets...
Who was arrested, and what were the charges?
CitizenYOU

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

The person(s) arrested were a former employee at CCC in accounting and her husband. Melissa and Nick DeVivo. I think he also used to work there and was working there again. I think she is currently working at Phillips in Bartlesville.

“It's all in the perception...”

Since: Sep 08

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

I went to CCC when Nick was the cheer coach. I couldn't believe it when I saw they'd been arrested. I never in a million years would've thought that either one of them would be capable of doing that. I'm praying that they are innocent. They have children that need their parents.
teacher

Chanute, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2011

Observer from Kansas wrote:
I went to CCC when Nick was the cheer coach. I couldn't believe it when I saw they'd been arrested. I never in a million years would've thought that either one of them would be capable of doing that. I'm praying that they are innocent. They have children that need their parents.
I don't know whether those arrested were innocent or guilty; but I do know that, especially with the economy in such terrible shape, taxpayers don't need additional robbery or waste.
dirt

Girard, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2011

Judged:

they may be politicians and just loaned themselves some tax money all legal

“It's all in the perception...”

Since: Sep 08

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2011

Judged:

teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know whether those arrested were innocent or guilty; but I do know that, especially with the economy in such terrible shape, taxpayers don't need additional robbery or waste.
I agree that with the economy the way it is, we don't need people stealing from us. My point was that I knew this family personally, and I'm still struggling to believe that they would be capable of this crime or any crime for that matter.
CitizenYOU

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2011

Who knows the specifics but if guilty they both need to do some major prison time. Bad parents to do behavior that might have your kids taken from you and you away in jail from them.
worked there

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

I'm just wondering how she was able to do it . Melissa did the books , yeah . But there was also at least 2 other people that went over the books after her . Then they are audited every year . How was it hid for so long ? Not taking anyones side , just wondering .
work there too

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2011

Judged:

I work at the college and I would believe in an instant that Melissa would do something like this....anyone that had a budget had to be under her "rules" which didn't follow any rules I'd ever heard in any other educational institution. In my opinion her supervisor, Andy Smart, should be held accountable too since it supposedly went on over a period of 10 years. What a disgrace to the college.
Dallas

Columbus, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2011

Judged:

Just because Melissa did her job and did her job well..doesn't make her guilty! Melissa and Nick both need to be with their children. There aren't better parents out there compared to these two parents. They are strong people and they will pull through this! Rumors and trash will NOT break them.........
houston

Chanute, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2011

Judged:

Dallas wrote:
Just because Melissa did her job and did her job well..doesn't make her guilty! Melissa and Nick both need to be with their children. There aren't better parents out there compared to these two parents. They are strong people and they will pull through this! Rumors and trash will NOT break them.........
How are arrests and how are court charges rumors or trash? I'd say arrests and court charges are serious as a heart attack; and as to being good parents, a court is likely to decide that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coffeyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tavern on the plaza 4 min Colormegone 9
2000 Brawl? 1 hr red foxx 2
Ice Bucket Challange - WTF 2 hr Tyrone Biggums 7
Tony Foster (Nov '13) 4 hr Tyrone Biggums 8
KS Who do you favor in the Kansas governor's race? 6 hr U R Wrong 193
Where's the party people? Tue Time to grow up 6
officer named ricky Tue country girl 6
•••

Coffeyville News Video

•••