Posted in the Coffeyville Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
rightwinger

United States

#1 Mar 22, 2012
My opinion.

People should get behind the parents on this one, and make sure the authorities brng this so called self appointed neighborhood watch captain to justice.

My mind keeps going to my young sons and thinking, it could be my kid..

Three days it took the parents to find their son in the morgue. The police did not so much as even check his cell phone in an attempt to identify this boy. My thoughts and prayers are with the parents.. May the nation stand with, and behind them

May God help George Zimmerman,'cause I'd help lynch his ash.

That poor poor young man all alone and accosted by this neighborhoood watch bully, and then gunned down in cold blood. Armed only with a bag of Skittle and a bottle of ice tea.
Frendof

Girard, KS

#2 Mar 22, 2012
Kansas & Oklahoma each are in the process of passing copies of the law that let this happen."Make-My-Day! "
partial transcript

Wichita, KS

#3 Mar 22, 2012
Treyvon was killed on February 26, 2012

NPR provides this partial transcript of the Zimmerman 911 call to police:

(SOUNDBITE OF 911 TAPE)

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN: Hey, we've had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there's a real suspicious guy...

(SOUNDBITE OF 911 TAPE)

ZIMMERMAN: He's a (bleep). They always get away.

ROSE: Then Zimmerman tells the dispatcher that the suspicious man is running away.

(SOUNDBITE OF 911 TAPE)

UNIDENTIFIED MAN:(911 Dispatcher) Are you following him?

ZIMMERMAN: Yeah.

UNIDENTIFIED MAN:(911 Dispatcher) OK, we don't need you to do that.

ZIMMERMAN: OK.
partial transcript

Wichita, KS

#4 Mar 22, 2012
A new special prosecutor has been appointed. The U.S. Justice Department is investigating. Expect a grand jury investigation.
partial transcript

Wichita, KS

#5 Mar 22, 2012
Florida Governor Rick Scott also appointed a task force today to investigate the shooting death of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin.
Juice

Hutchinson, KS

#6 Mar 22, 2012
rightwinger wrote:
My opinion.
People should get behind the parents on this one, and make sure the authorities brng this so called self appointed neighborhood watch captain to justice.
Three days it took the parents to find their son in the morgue. The police did not so much as even check his cell phone in an attempt to identify this boy. My thoughts and prayers are with the parents.. May the nation stand with, and behind them
That poor poor young man all alone and accosted by this neighborhoood watch bully, and then gunned down in cold blood. Armed only with a bag of Skittle and a bottle of ice tea.
Lynching him would be the same type of crime he has committed
That is not the way to handle this.Let the law take the action and they are.Protesting or rioting will not do any good it will just inflame the problem.The police chief has stepped down already.This crime just sickens me and makes me mad as hell but you have to believe in the system.If you have vigilantly justice you are lowering yourself to the criminals level.
partial transcript

Wichita, KS

#7 Mar 22, 2012
TOPEKA, KS (KCTV)-
The state of Kansas has a very similar statute to the one in Florida that could be used to try and keep a man who fatally shot an unarmed teenager out of jail. The "Stand Your Ground" statute is in question in Florida and in a case before Kansas' highest court.

"Can't be self-defense. No way. What was he gonna do, attack him with a bag of Skittles?" said Tray Martin, the father of Trayvon Martin.

Tray Martin's 17-year-old son was walking back home from the store in central Florida in a gated community. He was unarmed but fatally shot by a neighborhood watch commander after a confrontation. The shooter claims self-defense and Florida law allows someone to use force if they feel threatened.

Seventeen states including Kansas have similar laws allowing a person to stand their ground when attacked in a place they have the right to be, to meet force with force.

"The legislature seemed to suggest... the law before wasn't enough, that it had to do something in addition to what we already had to protect the citizens from people being prosecuted or from even being sued," said attorney Kurt Kurns.

In a case before the Kansas Supreme Court last fall, a western Kansas bar owner was convicted of battery against three patrons. His attorney argued the worker was protected by the "Stand Your Ground" defense even if he failed at a point to retreat during the scuffle.

Attorneys are awaiting the court's interpretation of the statute in the bar owner's situation.

"What were you thinking? What was the other guy doing?" said defense attorney Carl Cornwall of some very crucial questions to have the answers considered.

He said, when "Stand Your Ground" is used when only one person is armed in a fatal shooting, often courts frown on that defense.

"It is what you think is reasonable at the time, but you better be sure when you use deadly force, you better be sure because a person is going to die and there's no bringing back that person - you better be sure," said Cornwall.

No charges have been filed in the Florida case, but a grand jury will convene
partial transcript

Wichita, KS

#8 Mar 22, 2012
Miami (CNN)-- The death of Trayvon Martin is an undeniable tragedy. People are outraged, and rightly so, because a young, unarmed teenager lost his life. The incident has brought Florida's "stand your ground" law into sharp focus in the center of a media and legal firestorm.

The shooting of Martin was not something that the Florida Legislature anticipated would happen when it enacted the law in 2005.

When the law was pushed through the legislature, its supporters, including the National Rifle Association, proclaimed it as necessary to give law-abiding citizens the ability to protect themselves.

The law expanded an individual's legal right to use force, including deadly force, in self-defense. And it allows it in any place, not just in one's home, without fear of civil or criminal consequences when the individual has a "reasonable" fear of death or great bodily harm.

The National Rifle Association lobbied hard for the law in Florida, which passed the House and Senate with almost no opposition. Based on its resounding success in Florida, the NRA lobbied for similar legislation in many other states. The vast majority of these acts also passed.
Frendof

Girard, KS

#17 Mar 23, 2012
Rick Scott had the dead kid drug tested but not the killer.No drug test to conceal & carry or buy a gun but a test to carry food stamps.The cost to the government for this Stand Your Ground crime would feed all of Florida's hungry for a year or 10.
OH YEAH

Wichita, KS

#19 Mar 23, 2012
A Mexican shooting a Black,who would have thought that possible???? WTF
Frendof

Girard, KS

#20 Mar 23, 2012
Personal property tax on firearms used to support education,theres some easy money Sam.
Frendof

Girard, KS

#21 Mar 23, 2012
In a decent culture where gun ownership wasn't prioritized over virtually every other Constitutional right, that sort of finding would immediately call into question the wisdom of "Stand Your Ground" laws. If "holding a firearm makes you more likely to see innocuous objects as guns," that means "Stand Your Ground" laws will inevitably result in "mistaking" iced tea and Skittles for a gun, especially in combination with the additionally perception-altering effects of racism.
Kat

Coffeyville, KS

#22 Mar 23, 2012
Frendof wrote:
Kansas & Oklahoma each are in the process of passing copies of the law that let this happen."Make-My-Day! "
The man that actually wrote that law said himself that the actions of Zimmerman are NOT covered by the law and that Zimmerman should in fact be investigated. Zimmerman was told NOT to follow and he did, the law does not cover your ass if you pursue someone and "take it to them".....it means stand your ground, not chase and kill.

This is NOT a case of the "stand your ground" law going wrong, this is a case of Zimmerman going wrong. Just because some that don't think Zimmerman did any wrong want to use this law to protect him doesn't make it the reason he did what he did. He wasn't following the "stand your ground" law. That is even according to the man that wrote the law so he probably knows how it is suppose to work and what it means and if someone is on the right side of that law or not.
rightwinger

United States

#23 Mar 23, 2012
Frendof wrote:
In a decent culture where gun ownership wasn't prioritized over virtually every other Constitutional right, that sort of finding would immediately call into question the wisdom of "Stand Your Ground" laws. If "holding a firearm makes you more likely to see innocuous objects as guns," that means "Stand Your Ground" laws will inevitably result in "mistaking" iced tea and Skittles for a gun, especially in combination with the additionally perception-altering effects of racism.
This was not a stand your ground situation. Zimmerman chased this kid and probably (my thought) accosted him. The kid fought back (again, my thought), and Zimmerman used that as an excuse to shoot him. If Zimmerman had "stood his ground" when the kid took off, thge kid would be alive today and there would be no story, or outrage. This was a case of a self styled neighborhood hero wannabe seeing a black kid and automamtically assuming he was up to no good. The police did not investigate, or even attempt to identify Trayvon. This was a travesty of justice, and I hope the Florida State Bureau of Investigation, along with the US Dept of Justice rectify the lack of work from the local police.

If a cop shoots a suspect who first shoots at him, the cop is automatically drug tested. Zimmerman went home without so much as a sobriety test.
rightwinger

United States

#24 Mar 23, 2012
Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
The man that actually wrote that law said himself that the actions of Zimmerman are NOT covered by the law and that Zimmerman should in fact be investigated. Zimmerman was told NOT to follow and he did, the law does not cover your ass if you pursue someone and "take it to them".....it means stand your ground, not chase and kill.
This is NOT a case of the "stand your ground" law going wrong, this is a case of Zimmerman going wrong. Just because some that don't think Zimmerman did any wrong want to use this law to protect him doesn't make it the reason he did what he did. He wasn't following the "stand your ground" law. That is even according to the man that wrote the law so he probably knows how it is suppose to work and what it means and if someone is on the right side of that law or not.
Well said Kat.
Taco Joe

Pratt, KS

#25 Mar 23, 2012
OH YEAH wrote:
A Mexican shooting a Black,who would have thought that possible???? WTF
A Mexican named Zimmerman - even more puzzling!!! WTF. Some strange stuff going on in Flo Rida
Sammie Taylor

Birmingham, AL

#26 Mar 23, 2012
rightwinger wrote:
My opinion.
THREE days-I had no idea, that is just unacceptable and despicable to say the least, these people we put in office for the most part are under paid and it shows through the in compassion they have for human lifeís. Makes me fill bad for my dealings with officials, my daughter and granddaughter were killed in a car accident at 7:30 am, I got a call at work at 2:30 pm that day, not to mention my daughter was an organ donor and it was not acknowledge, when I questioned a lot of things (mind you she lived an hour away in a small country city, where everybody knew everybody), I got no straight answers. There certainly was no rhyme or reason for what happened that morning to my babies, other than someone being in a hurry. I canít even imagine had I lost them to the nature Trayvonís parents have lost him, bless his family and friends-the life sentence they have been dealt with is life altering, I canít think of any punishment for Zimmerman that would hold a candle to what he has placed upon that Childs family and friends, and his own family, If this Country could step up and go back to an Eye for A Eye-what a different world we would all live inÖthe only comfort I have found in the 7 years that my daughter and granddaughter have been gone, is when I leave this screwed up World, I want be leaving them behind.
rightwinger

United States

#27 Mar 23, 2012
Sammie Taylor wrote:
<quoted text>
THREE days-I had no idea, that is just unacceptable and despicable to say the least, these people we put in office for the most part are under paid and it shows through the in compassion they have for human lifeís. Makes me fill bad for my dealings with officials, my daughter and granddaughter were killed in a car accident at 7:30 am, I got a call at work at 2:30 pm that day, not to mention my daughter was an organ donor and it was not acknowledge, when I questioned a lot of things (mind you she lived an hour away in a small country city, where everybody knew everybody), I got no straight answers. There certainly was no rhyme or reason for what happened that morning to my babies, other than someone being in a hurry. I canít even imagine had I lost them to the nature Trayvonís parents have lost him, bless his family and friends-the life sentence they have been dealt with is life altering, I canít think of any punishment for Zimmerman that would hold a candle to what he has placed upon that Childs family and friends, and his own family, If this Country could step up and go back to an Eye for A Eye-what a different world we would all live inÖthe only comfort I have found in the 7 years that my daughter and granddaughter have been gone, is when I leave this screwed up World, I want be leaving them behind.
God Bless you.. I'm terribly sorry for your loss.. I can only imaginbe the pain you, and Trayvon's parents feel, and that imagined pain is unbearable.
In the Know

Chicago, IL

#28 Mar 23, 2012
Well thanks God that it was a black kid that was shot by a mexican guy. If it were a white kid shot by a black guy we never would have heard a thing about it and this law never would have come under scrutiny.
Eric

Oviedo, FL

#29 Mar 23, 2012
This is outrageous, unacceptable, Zimmerman must get the strongest penalty for this so called self defense incident. He looks like a total maniac by the way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coffeyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I hate Amazon.com now. Other online shopping si... 8 hr Kat 8
border town and Sonja 19 hr honest and faithful 12
Genesis Pure - push as healthy and not network... Fri honestemployee 2
sexy guys around coffeyville, KS (Aug '12) Thu someone sexy 100
what is amazons last day? Jan 29 grumble 1
Just moved here and need info and opinions! Jan 29 new mom in town 18
drug testing and srs (welfare) (Aug '11) Jan 28 With you Lisa 64

Coffeyville News Video

Coffeyville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Coffeyville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:01 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:01PM
Should Jerry Now Be Considered a Top-Quality GM?
NFL 6:28 AM
Witten: It's 'silly' to think Murray is easily replaceable
NBC Sports 7:10 AM
Jason Witten: Every back couldn't do what DeMarco Murray did this season
Bleacher Report 9:39 AM
Murray Will Command Up to $10M Per Year
NBC Sports 9:48 AM
Tony Romo: I have to be better