Coffeyville resources Tax - change st...

Coffeyville resources Tax - change state law?

Posted in the Coffeyville Forum

Coffeyville, KS

#1 Feb 20, 2012
This is the bill that is being presented as well as a identical in both the house and senate. It does not seem to be written well, and is rumored to have been written by Coffeyville resources. I know that it is being pushed by the Chamber of Commerce, but fail to see any benefit other than a reduction of income for all counties in which manufacturing is in. If I read it right any items that would be readily taken apart, possibly even modular buildings would not be taxed at their current rates but significantly lower... If I have that right along with the fact that the mil levy is set based on tax base and already passed budget, lowering the income from them would force a increase of tax revenue from all the others in the district.

What do ya think?

Coffeyville, KS

#2 Feb 21, 2012
The article on the front page of Montgomery County Chronicle reads as though the ones paying for it will be all property owners in the county and pretty much ALL business, with those in the city of Coffeyville paying the highest increase. It seems as if it would cause an already hard hit county like ours to see an even higher increase in unemployment and would also see the county probably lose business and citizens that are in a position to move out. Why would companies stay here and pay such an increase in their cost for taxes? Why would homeowners stay and pay such a large increase in their property tax, with those paying their tax through escrows seeing such an increase in their mortgage payment? Why would anyone want to buy property in Montgomery County with such high property tax? Those that actually stay in the county will be paying an even higher rate considering the loss of tax revenue the county is sure to see when they raise tax on so many property owners and business', especially at the rate they are talking about increasing it.
I know if I read the article correctly it is sure to be devastating to this county, with the city of Coffeyville suffering the most.

“"Go to Jesus and turn left." ”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#3 Feb 23, 2012
Once again the overall mentality of S.E. Kansas at least on "topix" does not surprise. Thank-you to "Curious" and "Kat" for posting interesting and thoughtful comments on a topic that if passed will effect everyone. When property taxes go up everyone pays more. More for rent, more for goods and services. Across the board higher taxes mean less money in every-ones back pocket. Write your State Senators, and State Legislators. Yes even that moron Peck. Let them know this isn't right for the citizen's of this state. Take a stand. Say "NO" to more taxation.

Coffeyville, KS

#4 Feb 23, 2012
Sultan, we have had our differences but in this case you are absolutely right on the money. I agree. true conservatism absolutely does not include upping taxes.

United States

#5 Feb 24, 2012
From my understanding "under State law" the Fertilizer plant was exempt from paying personal property taxes for 10 years starting in 1998 when they located to Coffeyville until 2008 when they started paying the tax and filed the lawsuit.
So my questions are, since the county knew about this lawsuit, why did they go ahead and spend it for the last 4 plus years?
Why since they never had those millions of dollars in the past decide to include that money in their budget since they knew there was the potential that they may lose that lawsuit?
Instead of raping the taxpayers, why can't the county quit the misspending and redo their budget not to include those millions of dollars which should have never been included in their budget before?
Even though I think what the Fertilizer Plant is doing is wrong, I also think that those running the county have done even worse. I think it is time for a big change on the county level.

United States

#6 Feb 24, 2012
Sorry, different "Curious" than the original poster.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coffeyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a decent paying job in the area 33 min tough all over 27
William Zachary Webb for Mayor!!! (Apr '16) 3 hr Bygones 21
City Commission Meeting 10 13 16 8 hr so true 74
snitch 21 hr Tight lipped Tony 8
Travel Agency 23 hr my view 5
Indy Housing Authority Wants to Build 7 New Hom... Wed ghost town coming 33
ratt Tue john morgan 1

Coffeyville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance