Brad

Pittsburg, KS

#242 Nov 16, 2009
FKHS needs to lose their accreditation. The administration is trash, and so are most of the students that attend. Yeah, the coaches deserved to get fired, and the students need to stop crying about it. Maybe if half of the staff acted in a professional manner, and the kids didn't act as if they were 10 year olds, this story would never break. I graduated less than a decade ago, but my class wasn't even this immature, and the teachers were paid to WORK and do their jobs. Can't say that now.
Warangel

Pratt, KS

#243 Nov 16, 2009
Brad wrote:
FKHS needs to lose their accreditation. The administration is trash, and so are most of the students that attend. Yeah, the coaches deserved to get fired, and the students need to stop crying about it. Maybe if half of the staff acted in a professional manner, and the kids didn't act as if they were 10 year olds, this story would never break. I graduated less than a decade ago, but my class wasn't even this immature, and the teachers were paid to WORK and do their jobs. Can't say that now.
Well you are wrong. The kids have a RIGHT to protest. Just like you have a right to your stupid opinion. Your stupid trash ass needs to get a life. And that is my opinion and I have a right to it. Have a nice day dumbass.

Since: Nov 09

Kansas

#244 Nov 16, 2009
Brad
you don't lose accreditation based on student behavior- it's based on state standardized test scores. i have no idea what they are at this point in the school but that is a topic for a different forum.
Big Tim

Coffeyville, KS

#245 Nov 16, 2009
Lilium, I didn't mean that the boys would not have assaulted each other. What I mean is that the coaches would still have their jobs.

Teenage boys will act like teenage boys. And it is the job of professionals to respond legally and ethically when they do.

Kids will be kids, and adults should know what to do about that.
Peeline

Coffeyville, KS

#246 Nov 16, 2009
Brad wrote:
FKHS needs to lose their accreditation. The administration is trash, and so are most of the students that attend. Yeah, the coaches deserved to get fired, and the students need to stop crying about it. Maybe if half of the staff acted in a professional manner, and the kids didn't act as if they were 10 year olds, this story would never break. I graduated less than a decade ago, but my class wasn't even this immature, and the teachers were paid to WORK and do their jobs. Can't say that now.
I'll bet your right, Brad!
Big Tim

Coffeyville, KS

#247 Nov 16, 2009
U:

The standardized test scores were reported at the last board meeting, and made the front page of the paper. The high school and elementary school are meeting and exceeding standards. The junior high is not. Of particular note is the performance of minority students, which has improved dramatically in the last few years, and at times exceeds the performance of white cohorts.

The administration has probably SAVED the school's accreditation because the test scores were not meeting standards under the old administration (if I remember correctly). My understanding is that we were pretty close to having the state come take over our district because our schools were underperforming.

However, if the administration had failed to report the assaults, it would have opened the district up for some serious lawsuits and other problems.

This is why schools (and most other organizations) have operating policies and procedures in place.

It is also my understanding (after a little social detective work around town, so this is just what I hear, and I have no direct knowlege) that the coach knew he was being fired, but was allowed to make a speech at a school banquet anyway, and he got the kids all riled up.

A professional person, even one who had done nothing wrong, would know that all this "protesting" is not in the best interest of his career, or in the best interest of the students. But where was this coach when that kid was getting tazed? Was he there saying, "I appreciate how much you kids care about me, but the best place for you to be right now is in class?"

Absolutely not. I understand he was nowhere to be found.

He was probably THE adult that could have calmed things down, and made sure that the kids didn't get out of control. But he didn't.

Ultimately, I think this could be a great civics lessons for the students of FKHS. I think we should explain district policy, and state laws, and give them an idea of the best strategies for responding responsibly and effectively. I think we should use this situation as a teaching opportunity. This won't be the first time that something happens in these kids' lives that will inspire them to become involved. So, instead of teaching them to be loud-mouthed hooligans, maybe we should teach them how to be poised, thoughtful participants in local governance.

Clearly, when these players were hamming in the locker room, they did not get a clear explanation of how their actions fit into the big picture. Maybe it's time that we teach our students about how school boards work, and how districts arrive at and enact their policies.

Then, maybe, instead of students coming on an internet bulletin board to whine about how much they hate "rules" those very same students could become articulate and engaged citizens who know how our local system works.

There is no reason why the kids in our school district should not be engaged in the policies that affect them. I want those kids to have voices, and I also want them to have ears. One day, some of those kids will be teachers, and principals. Some of them will run for school board or city commission. Some of them will run local businesses. We really need to be teaching them how their community works, instead of applauding them for just whining and being thoughtlessly indignant.
David

Lawrence, KS

#248 Nov 16, 2009
Kate wrote:
So, I'm hearing that the entire football coaching staff at FKHS was fired and students are walking out in protest.
Anyone want to shed some light on the subject?
Yes, the students protested over two football coaches that were given three days to resign or be fired. Most importantly the Coffeyville, KS school board made another top notch decision by not handling this situation in house and making the school system and the alumni look stupid to the rest of the nation. If I was a company exec looking for a spot to re-locate a business I'm sure he or she would want to re-locate in Coffeyville,KS. If Coffeyville, KS couldn't handle their school business then why would a company exec take the chance on relocating in Coffeyville, KS. I'm an alumni from Coffeyville and I wouldn't.
Big Tim

Coffeyville, KS

#249 Nov 16, 2009
David:

The school district attempted to handle this "in-house."

The coaches behaved in such a way that they took that option off the table.

gdi

Since: Aug 09

Coffeyville, KS

#250 Nov 16, 2009
My question is if everybody was satisied with the punishment to the players, for instances coaches, players, adm, why was the school board invovled.

gdi

Since: Aug 09

Coffeyville, KS

#251 Nov 16, 2009
And for your info big tim, the former adm was not struggling with accrediation. and they also had the respect of students.
Accountability

Coffeyville, KS

#252 Nov 16, 2009
Why can' we teach the students the correct procedures to follow to get their voices heard. The students do have the right to voice their opinions but they need to do it in the proper setting.

As far as the coaches go: bullying and harassment are a major topic in schools today. Teacher have in-services about these issues and the proper manner to handle the situations. The first thing they are told is to make the administration aware of the situation.

Coaches should not be "best friends" with students. They can be friendly but always remember that they are a role model for students. The coaches are there for guidance and to "teach". It isn't always about the wins and loses but the bigger lessons learned.

I don't know all the facts but we as adults need to all be "teachers" and not instigators in situations like these.
DWA

United States

#253 Nov 16, 2009
So what happens next ?
Big Tim

Coffeyville, KS

#254 Nov 16, 2009
gdi: The former administration might possibly have had the respect of the students, but the students were not meeting state assessment standards.

That kind of respect seems to have come at a big cost.

gdi

Since: Aug 09

Coffeyville, KS

#255 Nov 16, 2009
Let me know where you found this info i would like to take a gander at it

gdi

Since: Aug 09

Coffeyville, KS

#256 Nov 16, 2009
Big Tim wrote:
U:
The standardized test scores were reported at the last board meeting, and made the front page of the paper. The high school and elementary school are meeting and exceeding standards. The junior high is not. Of particular note is the performance of minority students, which has improved dramatically in the last few years, and at times exceeds the performance of white cohorts.
The administration has probably SAVED the school's accreditation because the test scores were not meeting standards under the old administration (if I remember correctly). My understanding is that we were pretty close to having the state come take over our district because our schools were underperforming.
However, if the administration had failed to report the assaults, it would have opened the district up for some serious lawsuits and other problems.
This is why schools (and most other organizations) have operating policies and procedures in place.
It is also my understanding (after a little social detective work around town, so this is just what I hear, and I have no direct knowlege) that the coach knew he was being fired, but was allowed to make a speech at a school banquet anyway, and he got the kids all riled up.
A professional person, even one who had done nothing wrong, would know that all this "protesting" is not in the best interest of his career, or in the best interest of the students. But where was this coach when that kid was getting tazed? Was he there saying, "I appreciate how much you kids care about me, but the best place for you to be right now is in class?"
Absolutely not. I understand he was nowhere to be found.
He was probably THE adult that could have calmed things down, and made sure that the kids didn't get out of control. But he didn't.
Ultimately, I think this could be a great civics lessons for the students of FKHS. I think we should explain district policy, and state laws, and give them an idea of the best strategies for responding responsibly and effectively. I think we should use this situation as a teaching opportunity. This won't be the first time that something happens in these kids' lives that will inspire them to become involved. So, instead of teaching them to be loud-mouthed hooligans, maybe we should teach them how to be poised, thoughtful participants in local governance.
Clearly, when these players were hamming in the locker room, they did not get a clear explanation of how their actions fit into the big picture. Maybe it's time that we teach our students about how school boards work, and how districts arrive at and enact their policies.
Then, maybe, instead of students coming on an internet bulletin board to whine about how much they hate "rules" those very same students could become articulate and engaged citizens who know how our local system works.
There is no reason why the kids in our school district should not be engaged in the policies that affect them. I want those kids to have voices, and I also want them to have ears. One day, some of those kids will be teachers, and principals. Some of them will run for school board or city commission. Some of them will run local businesses. We really need to be teaching them how their community works, instead of applauding them for just whining and being thoughtlessly indignant.
Big time (ben) it looks as though you didnt have this info here so i assume you found it. That is why I want to know. Also it seems you go back and forth on what is right here. Is someone else using big timm.
Kim the Cowgirl

Columbia, MO

#257 Nov 16, 2009
Warangel wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you are wrong. The kids have a RIGHT to protest. Just like you have a right to your stupid opinion. Your stupid trash ass needs to get a life. And that is my opinion and I have a right to it. Have a nice day dumbass.
Your posts explains why the kids don't know how to make their opinions known in a professional, articulate and objective manner. You idea is that if folks don't agree with you, you call them names and insult their intelligence. That's what people do when they are fueled by emotions and few facts. The right to protest and have freedom of speech comes with certain stipulations and certain parameters. Many of these kids are under age. Do the homework on what happened at Berkley, California in 1969 and see where those folks are today. It's not pretty. There's a right way and a wrong way to be heard.
someone who knows

Arkansas City, KS

#258 Nov 16, 2009
Big Tim let me fill you in on the previous administration. They inherited a school that was not only lagging behind in test scores, had the highest dropout rate in the state of Kansas and was totally in disaray because of low morale from within the staff. This was due to the lack of leadership at the district level because of the lack of importance placed upon student improvement. Another factor was the admininstrator before was only on the job three or less days aweek for the entire year that he was here. Because of the work of a dedicated staff and support of the administration not only did the test scores at Field Kindley increase dramatically but the dropout rate was below the state average in less than a year's time. Now as to the situation that is being discussed on this board. Then entire situation appears not to be handled correctly from the get go. Sometimes common sense is needed to resolve a conflict. The unfortunate consequence in this whole situration is the careers of two individuals have been damaged beyond repair and the students involved have to look these gentlemen in the eye and realize that mistakes hurt everyone in the long run.
FKHS Alum

Kansas City, KS

#259 Nov 16, 2009
Everyone is talking how bad the admin is at the high school. I looked up the stats. Below is the definition of AYP and below the years FKHS made it:

Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) is a method for determining if schools, districts and the state have made adequate progress in improving student achievement. AYP establishes annual targets for participation and performance on state assessments, as well as attendance rates and graduation rates.

FKHS
03-04 Did not make AYP
04-05 Did make AYP
05-06 Did not make AYP
06-07 Did make AYP (Smith's first year?)
07-08 Did make AYP
08-09 Did make AYP

Looks to me like the admin is excelling in the most important aspect and that is educating the students.
Big Tim

Coffeyville, KS

#260 Nov 16, 2009
FKHS Alum: I read my info in the paper. Where did you find your info?

someone who knows: Thanks for filling me in. I only know what people tell me. Sounds like your a fan of the old administration. How would the old administration have handled the whole hamming debacle?
SomeoneWHo Knows

Coffeyville, KS

#261 Nov 16, 2009
This has nothing to do with Building or district administration, this was a Board of Education decision. The building administration and the District administration did their jobs(unlike the coaches) and reported the incident to their high ups. The elected Board of Education made this decision. And for the first time I applaud them all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coffeyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1001 Reasons Donald Trump Sucks (Jul '16) 2 hr ilovethis 30
Spanking 5 hr Alwysright 3
RMS football coaching 7 hr Frustrated parent 1
Coffeyville commissioner resigns Tue CVillian 2
Anyone remember the Pizza Hut on the West side ... Tue Kansafornia 10
Eggberts Sep 19 Cahill 1
News Water rates on city agenda (Dec '08) Sep 18 Okay 49

Coffeyville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coffeyville Mortgages