Coffeyville Police: 2-Day-Old Severely Injured After Pit Bull Attack

May 23, 2013 Full story: NewsOn6 Tulsa 106

Authorities in Coffeyville, Kansas say the 2-day-old girl was initially taken to a local hospital with life threatening injuries.

Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
wtf

United States

#1 May 24, 2013
Y and the heck would anyone let a baby around that kind of a dog?
Ted

Coffeyville, KS

#2 May 24, 2013
because some people just are not that bright. Being around any animal with a newborn is a no-no.
Lee

Tulsa, OK

#3 May 24, 2013
I've seen more pathetic people with unusual mental problems in Coffeyville. It's an economic and social problem in this small town. Drugs, alcohol and poorly educated souls thrive here. A helpless baby has to suffer. Put the dog down so it won't breed and fix the parents of the newborn so thy can't either.
kimberly

Coffeyville, KS

#4 May 24, 2013
look like i have said to other people it was an accident you dont know these people so shut ur mouth...

Since: Apr 13

Coffeyville, KS

#5 May 24, 2013
its too late but lord forbid they put this child back into their custody or they have another one they do things differently. bottom line no newborn needs to be around any animal or laying outside at that age on a blanket with a parent. If this is the true story its total neglect. or avoidable accident should have never happened and these parents have to live with it. and surely they would do it differently. I know what i'm talking about i'm adult and my parents were neglectful leading to me having an injury.
Kitty

United States

#6 May 25, 2013
This is for Kimberly and some of the other people posting on some of the other threads on this subject telling people to shut up and it was an accident. Of course it was an accident. No one on any of these threads said anything about thinking the parents did it on purpose! The thing is when you take on the responsibilty of having a child you have to make responsible choices!! The people on here are horrified that a precious newborn baby is maimed for life because the parents made horrible decisions that put her at risk. There is no circumstance that I can think of that would allow this to have happened if one ounce of common sense was being used by the family. Even if you leave out the fact that they were either pits or bullies, what kind of moron goes anywhere near 1, 2, or 5 dogs with a tiny newborn infant that just got home from the hospital!! Ignorance of the chances they were taking is no excuse. They had 9 months to learn how to care for their precious baby before its birth. Yes it is a horrible thing that has happened but you are a perfect example of what is wrong with some of the people around here. Whatever you do don' t expect people to take responsibility for their horrible mistakes, just make excuses and say its not their fault they didn't know it would happen...explain that to that precious child when shes old enough to ask what happened to her leg...They made a huge mistake and should be resonsible for their neglect. Its not like these things have not been in the news in the past and people are unaware of the danger of ANY breed of dog or even a cat with a tiny newborn. People have a right to be outraged over this!! And you are saying that we don't know these people so we should shut up? This all has nothing to do with them as your friends, its about them trying to be parents which clearly they are not ready to be. I pray they take the baby from them and put her with relatives until these parents learn how to care for her!!!
DISGUSTED

Arkansas City, KS

#7 May 25, 2013
I do know these people. I went to the hospital to see the poor innocent baby that did not have a choice of whether she was born to uncaring, selfish morons or not. They did not seemed concerned about the baby that is now missing a leg due to their stupidity. They were only concerned about themselves. I didn't see either of them even glance in her direction. The only thing they had to say about the baby is, "she's fine, she's a fighter." NO, SHE IS NOT! She is a 2 day old baby. I think her pain is worse than your cramps mom, or your hand dad. They need this child taken away! They need to be locked up so they cannot bring any more children into this world to be used as a paycheck to themselves. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but they do NOT deserve people feeling sorry for THEM. The beautiful baby deserves SO much better than they will ever be able to offer.
sick of cville

Coffeyville, KS

#8 May 25, 2013
Kitty wrote:
This is for Kimberly and some of the other people posting on some of the other threads on this subject telling people to shut up and it was an accident. Of course it was an accident. No one on any of these threads said anything about thinking the parents did it on purpose! The thing is when you take on the responsibilty of having a child you have to make responsible choices!! The people on here are horrified that a precious newborn baby is maimed for life because the parents made horrible decisions that put her at risk. There is no circumstance that I can think of that would allow this to have happened if one ounce of common sense was being used by the family. Even if you leave out the fact that they were either pits or bullies, what kind of moron goes anywhere near 1, 2, or 5 dogs with a tiny newborn infant that just got home from the hospital!! Ignorance of the chances they were taking is no excuse. They had 9 months to learn how to care for their precious baby before its birth. Yes it is a horrible thing that has happened but you are a perfect example of what is wrong with some of the people around here. Whatever you do don' t expect people to take responsibility for their horrible mistakes, just make excuses and say its not their fault they didn't know it would happen...explain that to that precious child when shes old enough to ask what happened to her leg...They made a huge mistake and should be resonsible for their neglect. Its not like these things have not been in the news in the past and people are unaware of the danger of ANY breed of dog or even a cat with a tiny newborn. People have a right to be outraged over this!! And you are saying that we don't know these people so we should shut up? This all has nothing to do with them as your friends, its about them trying to be parents which clearly they are not ready to be. I pray they take the baby from them and put her with relatives until these parents learn how to care for her!!!
Very well said, Kitty. Hopefully this little girl will not go back to such ignorant parents.
sick of cville

Coffeyville, KS

#9 May 25, 2013
DISGUSTED wrote:
I do know these people. I went to the hospital to see the poor innocent baby that did not have a choice of whether she was born to uncaring, selfish morons or not. They did not seemed concerned about the baby that is now missing a leg due to their stupidity. They were only concerned about themselves. I didn't see either of them even glance in her direction. The only thing they had to say about the baby is, "she's fine, she's a fighter." NO, SHE IS NOT! She is a 2 day old baby. I think her pain is worse than your cramps mom, or your hand dad. They need this child taken away! They need to be locked up so they cannot bring any more children into this world to be used as a paycheck to themselves. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but they do NOT deserve people feeling sorry for THEM. The beautiful baby deserves SO much better than they will ever be able to offer.
Totally agree!!!
Joe Shmoe

Wichita, KS

#10 May 25, 2013
I just think that if they were Jehovah Witnesses this would have never happened! Happy birthday!!
Born to hunt

Coffeyville, KS

#11 May 25, 2013
what do them dawgs taste like? shoukld I roast 'em stew 'em or just make jerky? YEEHAW! it's DAWG SEASUN! WHOOT WHOOT!
jennifer

United States

#12 May 26, 2013
wtf wrote:
Y and the heck would anyone let a baby around that kind of a dog?
Any dog is capable of an attack on a person You seriously need to educate yourself Their animals and if you know anything they were once wild It's more the parents fault then those those dogs Its On a species that can't talk for themselves called neglect maybe you should look that up too there are more deaths from golden retrievers each year then there are from pitbulls so like I said educate yourself before you go talking crap
Steve Dave

Toronto, Canada

#13 May 26, 2013
jennifer wrote:
<quoted text> there are more deaths from golden retrievers each year then there are from pitbulls so like I said educate yourself before you go talking crap
You are the one who is uneducated and misguided. Stop acting like you know something to advance your personal agenda. Ignorant dog owners are part of the problem. The other part of the problem is a dog's inherent nature to hunt and kill. Why don't you get a wolf-hybrid and have your kids play with it? I'd like to see Darwinism at work.

There are stats going back to 1901 on dog bite fatalities. Pitbulls are potentially powerful and deadly dogs which are responsible for a large percentage of fatalities. The data support this.

Fatal dog attacks in the United States show that for the years from 2006 through 2012, pit bulls were responsible for 124 of the 217 fatal dog attacks, or approximately 57%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attack...
Another thought

United States

#14 May 26, 2013
jennifer wrote:
<quoted text> Any dog is capable of an attack on a person You seriously need to educate yourself Their animals and if you know anything they were once wild It's more the parents fault then those those dogs Its On a species that can't talk for themselves called neglect maybe you should look that up too there are more deaths from golden retrievers each year then there are from pitbulls so like I said educate yourself before you go talking crap
You are such an idiot..Educate your own self. Golden Retrievers my azz.

38 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2012.2 Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 600 U.S. cities,3 pit bulls contributed to 61%(23) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population.4
Together, pit bulls (23) and rottweilers (3), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 68% of all fatal attacks in 2012. In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, this combination accounted for 73%(183) of the total recorded deaths (251).
The breakdown between pit bulls and rottweilers is substantial over this 8-year period. From 2005 to 2012, pit bulls killed 151 Americans, about one citizen every 19 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 32, about one citizen every 91 days.
Annual data from 2012 shows that 50%(19) of the victims were adults, 21-years and older, and the other half were children, ages 8-years and younger. Of the total children killed by dogs in 2012, 79%(15) were ages 2-years and younger.
Annual data also shows that males were more often victims, 61%(23), than females. The majority of male victims, 61%(14), were ages 8-years and younger. Of the total female victims, only 33%(5) fell into this same age group

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-f...
micky mouse

Coffeyville, KS

#15 May 26, 2013
STOP TRYING TO BLAME THE PARENTS THEY HAD VICIOUS BORN KILLER PITBULL IN THEIR HOME BEFORE THE BABY WAS BORN.JUST LIKE ALL OF YOU BRAIN DEAD PIT OWNERS,THESE PEOPLE ASSUMED THAT THIS KILLER BREED WOULD BE THE PERFECT NANNY DOG. ITS TIME TO KILL OFF ALL BULLY BREEDS AND PUT THEIR OWNERS IN JAIL FOR LIFE
Protecttheinnoce nt

Edinburg, TX

#16 May 26, 2013
Dear God, was the child's leg really lost (among other unspeakable injuries?)
pretty boy loyd

Girard, KS

#17 May 26, 2013
Freedom!
micky mouse

Coffeyville, KS

#18 May 26, 2013
You know, when it is all said and one, I had eight children and I had dogs. My children used my dogs for all sort of things when they were learning to crawl. Not once did my German shepherds or my collies snap or growl at the tiny little babies. However people, everyone gives birth to children and nearly everyone has dogs. 95 percent of the time a normal family pet would never think of harming any other family pet or a human. It only goes to show once again that American bull dogs, pit bulls or any dog that is mixed with a bully type breed is NOT a Safe family pet regardless if there are children in the household or not.
As for the parents? How dare any of you cold heart posters point the finger of blame at them. The child that was hurt is THEIR BABY and any parent will ( or should) do what is needed to care for and protect that baby. The parents had no clue their family pet would attack their baby. They were most likely miss-informed and a devoted pit lover who, just like all pit lovers thought their natural born killer dog would be just fine. I am so sure that the father of the baby did not dangle the baby over the top of the pit to see if the pit would attack or not. PIT BULLS AND ALL BULLY, AND BULLY MIX DOGS are DEADLY.
Fergal

Independence, KS

#19 May 26, 2013
You say:

"As for the parents? How dare any of you cold heart posters point the finger of blame at them. The child that was hurt is THEIR BABY and any parent will ( or should) do what is needed to care for and protect that baby. The parents had no clue their family pet would attack their baby."

I say:

Who except the parents was irresponsible enough to have the baby around a pit bull?
Kitty

United States

#20 May 26, 2013
An accident that would make the parents blameless would be tornadoes, lightening, falling trees in a storm.... things that are completely out of your control. Bringing a newborn 6 pound infant home from the hospital and that same first day of having her home put her close to 5 pits or bullies or whatever and having that newborn child where ANY dog, cat, rat whatever IS the parents fault. Common sense seems to be a rare commodity for these two people. Even now the mother is saying it was not the dogs fault nor theirs, but just a total accident...the police killed two of them. When they bring her home the second time....minus her poor little leg, there are three more dogs waiting for them. You think it will be any different??? Shes saying its not the dogs fault. I know a lot of you on here are up in arms about the fact some are pointing to the viscious nature of those breeds in particular but please, realize that when you have that many dogs regardless of breed, they are often more aggressive and will do things that a single dog would never do. Could we all try to focus on the REAL problem of that poor little girl going home from the hospital a second time with these two irresponsible parenents. What can be done to save the little girl from further danger? THESE TWO FEEL LIKE IT WAS A TOTAL ACCIDENT AND THEY DID NOTHING WRONG!!! There friends have been on here saying the same thing, its not their fault, they love her, leave them alone.... they are more worried about people saying things than the fact their baby has lost her leg!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coffeyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PHOTOS: Amazon.com leaves Coffyville in a lurch 18 hr Inmate 13 1
Corliss brothers 21 hr been stupid 1
christmas bucks (Dec '10) Wed Not rich 30
Where can I sell a camper at? Wed new mom in town 5
why classic auto blows? (Apr '11) Tue never 17
to ladies Tue JoeNeeds2know 1
word game (Mar '13) Tue Trouser Cough 377

Coffeyville News Video

Coffeyville Dating
Find my Match