jencast employee killed
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
stlrsman

Coffeyville, KS

#1 Jul 17, 2010
Another young man loses his life at jencast,that's makes two in less than two years. I feel sorry for the family and friends of these young men and they will be in my prayers hope they do something this time so no one else has to die.
LMAO

Derby, KS

#2 Jul 17, 2010
Anyone have the facts as to how it happen.? It's listed in the new paper funny how the reporter news paper picked up more than Coffeyville Journal.. which is closer.. It's sad news for their employees and the employer I'm sure. But why did they close both plants friday.. I was at the bank and most of their employees was there cashing there checks and talking about they got laidoff from work friday morning due to this death..
wonderer

Durant, OK

#3 Jul 17, 2010
what did the paper say? I used to work for that company. I hope they didnt ALL get laid off.
denny

Independence, KS

#4 Jul 17, 2010
wonderer wrote:
what did the paper say? I used to work for that company. I hope they didnt ALL get laid off.
The victim was Presley Coulson, 20 or 21. He was electrocuted Thursday. Jencast said his death "was under investigation." Funeral services were expected to be in Sperry, Oklahoma, according to the Reporter.

Since: Jul 10

Coffeyville, KS

#5 Jul 17, 2010
OSHA had to come in, they are being investigated and I dont think they can open till the investigation is over.
Linda Oklahoma

United States

#6 Jul 17, 2010
Presley Coulson had just turned 21 last month and leaves behind a girl friend and a 3 month old baby..
Who is going to take care of them now ???????

Presley was my cousin's son.....
Sadworker

Derby, KS

#7 Jul 17, 2010
The first death they had awhile back was due to stupidity. The guy thought he could beat the Machine by stepping down into it and getting out in time rather than playing it safe and doing what he was told and trained to do.. I'm just wondering what excuse will be noted on the Osha report as for the cause of this death.?
To my knowledge Presley was working in the maintenance dept at Jencast. welding on a scaffold 12 foot high. when the Main switch was turned off by another employee who saw him in danger from being shocked. He fell to his death. It's true He didn't have on the proper protective gear including welding gloves on. He touched a grounded area while welding with his bearhands. this cause a high volt electrical shock. about 440 volts to his body. which would Electrocute anyone due to their own neglected by not wearing protective gear at anytime. Any train welder knows the Danger of NOT wearing protective gear while welding. What was his Excuse I wonder. I don't know ! He was my friend too.

many people like taking chances and often feel lucky enough when they do .WHY ? because the Job seems to simple at the time and it being hot during that time of day. those are small enough reason why.. I guess We don't like being any hoter than we are feeling at the time. It's still no excuse I know..

Young or old. We learn by our mistakes even if it causes the death of a dear friend or relative. or in most cases our own grave mistakes by getting in a hurry and not thinking at the time.

I knew Presley.. realy well. Yes he was always in a hurry. and I'm sorry because this caused me to loose a good friend too. I was working on the other end of the building when this happen. and not in his dept.

He will be missed by us all that knew him. and talked about even more as the years goes by..

Jencast does not play around when it comes to the safty of their employees .. last week two people in the maintenance dept was in fact fired on the spot. due to the lockout and tagout problematic procedures while working on a Machine. those two men where very good maintenance men at the time. but what they didn't do could of very easy caused their own deaths then too.

People just don't think before Probability causes harm
to them selves or others around them at the time.

I'm sorry to hear He left behind a girl friend and a 3 month old baby. what happens Now ? I feel the same way as you do.
I know Coffeyville EMT was there in a matter of short time. when I thought they got his heart going and he was breathing. he would be ok. But this wasn't the case. after the third time. and on the way to the hospital. I learned my friend was gone and wouldn't be back again.. This HURTS us all !
stlrman

Coffeyville, KS

#8 Jul 17, 2010
Sadworker wrote:
The first death they had awhile back was due to stupidity. The guy thought he could beat the Machine by stepping down into it and getting out in time rather than playing it safe and doing what he was told and trained to do.. I'm just wondering what excuse will be noted on the Osha report as for the cause of this death.?
To my knowledge Presley was working in the maintenance dept at Jencast. welding on a scaffold 12 foot high. when the Main switch was turned off by another employee who saw him in danger from being shocked. He fell to his death. It's true He didn't have on the proper protective gear including welding gloves on. He touched a grounded area while welding with his bearhands. this cause a high volt electrical shock. about 440 volts to his body. which would Electrocute anyone due to their own neglected by not wearing protective gear at anytime. Any train welder knows the Danger of NOT wearing protective gear while welding. What was his Excuse I wonder. I don't know ! He was my friend too.
many people like taking chances and often feel lucky enough when they do .WHY ? because the Job seems to simple at the time and it being hot during that time of day. those are small enough reason why.. I guess We don't like being any hoter than we are feeling at the time. It's still no excuse I know..
Young or old. We learn by our mistakes even if it causes the death of a dear friend or relative. or in most cases our own grave mistakes by getting in a hurry and not thinking at the time.
I knew Presley.. realy well. Yes he was always in a hurry. and I'm sorry because this caused me to loose a good friend too. I was working on the other end of the building when this happen. and not in his dept.
He will be missed by us all that knew him. and talked about even more as the years goes by..
Jencast does not play around when it comes to the safty of their employees .. last week two people in the maintenance dept was in fact fired on the spot. due to the lockout and tagout problematic procedures while working on a Machine. those two men where very good maintenance men at the time. but what they didn't do could of very easy caused their own deaths then too.
People just don't think before Probability causes harm
to them selves or others around them at the time.
I'm sorry to hear He left behind a girl friend and a 3 month old baby. what happens Now ? I feel the same way as you do.
I know Coffeyville EMT was there in a matter of short time. when I thought they got his heart going and he was breathing. he would be ok. But this wasn't the case. after the third time. and on the way to the hospital. I learned my friend was gone and wouldn't be back again.. This HURTS us all !
If you work at jencast and you die its your fault for being stupid? Yes stupid for working in that hell hole!
Old Man

Coffeyville, KS

#9 Jul 17, 2010
stlrman wrote:
<quoted text>
If you work at jencast and you die its your fault for being stupid? Yes stupid for working in that hell hole!
No, he was stupid for taking unnecessary risks. He knew the right procedure to do his job safely, but he ignored all of the safety rules and paid for it with his life. Was it worth it? No! Putting on the extra gear that's mandated for that job was putting him out. He didn't want to put the extra effort into it and didn't want to be hotter for just a few more minutes. He had probably even welded this way before several times and figured that he was too smart for his own good. The odds went against him.

Life goes on for the rest of you. Tomorrow you'll wake up to another day. Monday you'll go back to work and Jencast will be pushing safety down your throats. Will you have learned a valuable lesson from this experience, or will you ignore the bosses and co-workers advice and warnings and sooner, or later become another statistic? You might get by 500 times going the shortcut, but one time is all that it takes!
Carol Palmer

Leon, KS

#10 Jul 17, 2010
stlrman wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey man! I understood his point and I don't think you did. your just being a jerk like most people seem to be. No I don't work there & have no interest in wanting to work there. But Accidents happen for being stupid & not being safe. I Don't blame Jencast for what happen. it's people in general that come to work everyday. that don't think before they do the job that has to be done. At least I understood that part of it. MY CONDOLENCE TO THE FAMILY AND EVERYONE AT JENCAST FOR YOUR LOSS.
Lola

United States

#11 Jul 18, 2010
Linda Oklahoma wrote:
Presley Coulson had just turned 21 last month and leaves behind a girl friend and a 3 month old baby..
Who is going to take care of them now ???????
Presley was my cousin's son.....
So very sorry Linda.
Lola

United States

#12 Jul 18, 2010
stlrman wrote:
<quoted text>
Does ths fact that the man witnessed some of this mean anything. Let alone he is telling you a heartwrenching story of HIS friend's death. We weren't there, this person was and is trying to br objective and tell the real story. Every thing he said makes perfect sense. I used to work in a steel mill, so let us get that out of the way before the " how would you knows" start coming in. This is such a terible thing. Pointing fingers and blaming isn't going to help these people who have just lost a friend and loved one. Let OSHA do their job and let us do what we can to help the family get through this. Stirring to pot is not the answer.
Worker

Coffeyville, KS

#13 Jul 18, 2010
I worked at Jencat for many years in the maint dept. They really have no saftey program, just a quick "here sign this paper type deal". They don't have a tie off rule for being so many feet in the air, which is uaually 4 feet. I don't know how many times I have walked and crawled around in places at least 20 feet in the air without being tied off.You just don't give a man a harness and say here use this its like anything else a man has to be properly trained to use it.When a machine goes down they ride your ass yelling "hurry up your takeing to long we cant have this much down time." I'm very sadden by th death of this young man. When a company hires a man of this age they need to be with a experience hand untill they prove that they can do the job safely and correctly.I hope that osha keeps the doors closed untill Jencast gets a grip on the safety and thinks more of the employees rather than the money.
I know

Leon, KS

#14 Jul 18, 2010
I can verify these facts. Yes they have steped up on their safty policy over the last two years and they do extra training and We watch safty films one after another. Some are boring and get tiresome from watching. they could never get tired of teaching us about safty and we are tested after those films to see if we had learned from them and were awake during the time. As for being properly trained ?
I'm completly lost on what you said ? I've been here for a great amount of time myself. Who are you and which Dept did you say you worked at?
We do have a saftey program that has worked in the past and a number of years and those standards are with strict rules that apply to us all and we all must follow. No job is rushed or left without a lockout and tag out at anytime. We lost two employees that was fired right there on the spot. for thinking this rule didn't apply to them. They found out different.

I would rather see a man walk out knowing he screwed up and being fired. Rather than on a strecher like they did this young man that was killed here Thursday evening.
If you knew the Owner like we do here at jensens and Jencast.
You would know. He would rather close the doors for good than to see anyone of his employees killed or hurt while on the job.

This Man Mr Eric Jensen really does care about us all. believe that as you will learn while working for him. He treats us all as if we are apart of his family. No one is singled out because they are a man or women or by the color of our skin.
What gets my feathers up is how You people that come on here not knowing what it's like here. and go on assuming what we do here isn't about safty at all. you all continue to second guess what goes on is our employers fault. or blame him for our own mistakes when something does happen.

All I'm saying is don't point fingers at anyone. It's not thier fault. but our own for thinking we can beat a machine without judging our own time or thinking we don't need the extra gear because no one is watching and it's too hot to wear at the time.

We all knew this young man at one point of time or another enven in our break room I sat with him and had a few laughs about our personal lives outside of Jencast.

Isn't life Funny in that way. One minute your laughing and joking around and thinking about getting through this hot day at work . then the lights flicker all around you while your working and you watch you buddy,best friend, pal, even the guy next to you being electrocuted. I truely belive No one could of moved any faster than we did to help him during that time.
Everything was shut down while peole gathered around watching one of our own fellow workers being carried away by the EMS. THIS WAS THE SADDEST MOMENTS FOR US ALL ! The EMS from Coffeyville,
were fast getting there and Thank God they knew what they were doing during that time.

the guy who wrote sadwork could of been a number of people I know here. and what he said was very much true.
Sure we sign papers after our training to prove what we learn on safty issues and just a week ago we had our training lesson on the heat and how to stay cool and what to do in an emergency situation. paid training Might I remind you.
But what they don't teach you is what happens when you think you know it all and don't pay attention in class.

As for the safty standards on height. We are required to wear a tie down secure strap for safty when they are working above ground.
This young man was very much experience in what he did in Maint. but one little slip is all it takes before that training goes to waste and in this case you know where it got him..

Our Prayers go out to the family and friends of Presley Coulson. May your soul rest in peace and God watch over you in heaven now.
To a good friend you are to us all God bless you.
Curious

Wichita, KS

#15 Jul 18, 2010
You can have all the training and tests you want, but my question is to you who work there. Where is the supervision of these employees and what are the supervisor's doing when these people are not doing their job's safely? It is the leaders jobs to ensure that these employees are following the safety protocols that have been put in place. Surely they know that there is a failure in the safety practices at this workplace. The other employees that have posted on here all seem to know that some people fail to follow the proper procedures. Shouldn't they? Experience tells me that you can tell people about safety all you want, but when the leadership continues to allow shortcuts to be taken and turns a blind eye when they see the protocols not being followed then they have failed the employees.

2 deaths in two years at the same plant and department is totally unacceptable!!
I know

Leon, KS

#16 Jul 18, 2010
Curious wrote:
You can have all the training and tests you want, but my question is to you who work there. Where is the supervision of these employees and what are the supervisor's doing when these people are not doing their job's safely? It is the leaders jobs to ensure that these employees are following the safety protocols that have been put in place. Surely they know that there is a failure in the safety practices at this workplace. The other employees that have posted on here all seem to know that some people fail to follow the proper procedures. Shouldn't they? Experience tells me that you can tell people about safety all you want, but when the leadership continues to allow shortcuts to be taken and turns a blind eye when they see the protocols not being followed then they have failed the employees.
2 deaths in two years at the same plant and department is totally unacceptable!!
You got some nerve to tell us about your own ideas as who to blame. This isn't a hamburger joint that We are talking about. We do have Supervisors that do an excellent job. They work and push protocols for safty everywhere in both plants. everything is followed out by proper procedures. If you knew the kinda Idiots we've had here and had fired in the past. I think you would start to understand. why We care about people getting hurt on the job or killled in that Matter. Just don't start pointing your finger in this direction because I bite back.
you want supervision go hire yourself a babysitter. or go find a job that makes you feel like you need one. people here work as a team and not against each other.or pushing and shoving each other around to get more work out of them. this isn't the work place that cause Accidents or push people over the edge on what their limits are.
You don't know anything about our working conditions here except the B S you may have heard from someone who might of been fired in the past. People that work here really do love their job and care about those they work with everyday. which seems hard for you to believe I see.
what leadership continues to allow shortcuts here? I've seen a great many of people walked off this property for not following safty rules. This is no joking Matter.
I think once the OSHA report has been turned in and the investagation is over. you might see things differently along with the rest of you people that assume to know differently.
Butfor you or anyone else to make up some cockadodola Bs Story about what you assume to be true under your own ideas. I don't know where you work at and don't care too. but I know now it's not this place.
Personnaly speaking. I assume you might have been fired in the past from working here. for not being a safe worker back then too. Sorry We don't rehire those kinda workers back. so take your grudge else where if you have one against Jensen. because you know nothing about what goes on here. NOW take it as you want I said all I'm going to from here on out.
Lola

United States

#17 Jul 19, 2010
Curious wrote:
How did the first employee die?

Since: Aug 09

Weir, KS

#18 Jul 19, 2010
My condolences go out to the family of this young man. 21 is way too young to die.

Since: Oct 09

Coffeyville, KS

#19 Jul 19, 2010
Old Man wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he was stupid for taking unnecessary risks. He knew the right procedure to do his job safely, but he ignored all of the safety rules and paid for it with his life. Was it worth it? No! Putting on the extra gear that's mandated for that job was putting him out. He didn't want to put the extra effort into it and didn't want to be hotter for just a few more minutes. He had probably even welded this way before several times and figured that he was too smart for his own good. The odds went against him.
Life goes on for the rest of you. Tomorrow you'll wake up to another day. Monday you'll go back to work and Jencast will be pushing safety down your throats. Will you have learned a valuable lesson from this experience, or will you ignore the bosses and co-workers advice and warnings and sooner, or later become another statistic? You might get by 500 times going the shortcut, but one time is all that it takes!
You seem like a wise Old Man.
grow up

Delaware, OK

#20 Jul 19, 2010
I know wrote:
<quoted text>You got some nerve to tell us about your own ideas as who to blame. This isn't a hamburger joint that We are talking about. We do have Supervisors that do an excellent job. They work and push protocols for safty everywhere in both plants. everything is followed out by proper procedures. If you knew the kinda Idiots we've had here and had fired in the past. I think you would start to understand. why We care about people getting hurt on the job or killled in that Matter. Just don't start pointing your finger in this direction because I bite back.
you want supervision go hire yourself a babysitter. or go find a job that makes you feel like you need one. people here work as a team and not against each other.or pushing and shoving each other around to get more work out of them. this isn't the work place that cause Accidents or push people over the edge on what their limits are.
You don't know anything about our working conditions here except the B S you may have heard from someone who might of been fired in the past. People that work here really do love their job and care about those they work with everyday. which seems hard for you to believe I see.
what leadership continues to allow shortcuts here? I've seen a great many of people walked off this property for not following safty rules. This is no joking Matter.
I think once the OSHA report has been turned in and the investagation is over. you might see things differently along with the rest of you people that assume to know differently.
Butfor you or anyone else to make up some cockadodola Bs Story about what you assume to be true under your own ideas. I don't know where you work at and don't care too. but I know now it's not this place.
Personnaly speaking. I assume you might have been fired in the past from working here. for not being a safe worker back then too. Sorry We don't rehire those kinda workers back. so take your grudge else where if you have one against Jensen. because you know nothing about what goes on here. NOW take it as you want I said all I'm going to from here on out.
MY guess would be your the supervisor over the young man's department!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coffeyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Four County abusing employees? (May '10) 7 hr Nurse Ratchet 15
Farmers stabbed in back by Trump 11 hr Coffeyville Sucks 7
Trump's buddy facing 305 years in jail 11 hr Coffeyville Sucks 2
Four County Whistleblower? 11 hr Curious 1
Goldie's donuts making a comeback? (Dec '16) 23 hr adam 5
Pathological Lying By "President" Tue OrangeFire 3
acme foundry (Dec '13) Mon RESPECT 7

Coffeyville Jobs

Personal Finance

Coffeyville Mortgages