Montgomery County Primary Election Re...

Montgomery County Primary Election Results

Posted in the Coffeyville Forum

“Your future is unwritten!”

Since: Mar 08

Coffeyville, KS

#1 Aug 6, 2008
Well, I'm a little irritated with the Montgomery County website (there's a surprise). The "Election Results" link is not working (shows inactive). And I went to sleep last night before all the results were in. Can anyone give me the low down on who won what?
AND

Delaware, OK

#2 Aug 6, 2008
Blind No More wrote:
Well, I'm a little irritated with the Montgomery County website (there's a surprise). The "Election Results" link is not working (shows inactive). And I went to sleep last night before all the results were in. Can anyone give me the low down on who won what?
The numbers posted on the site are the final numbers for everyone!

Coffeyville, KS

#3 Aug 6, 2008
But the "final numbers" I see are all ZEROS!!!
kansas girl

United States

#4 Aug 6, 2008
Greener Pastures

Hutchinson, KS

#5 Aug 6, 2008
Not sure what the problem is, Blind. Numbers are fine when I check.

Are you going to:

www.mgcountyks.org/election_results.htm

?
AND

Delaware, OK

#6 Aug 6, 2008
Blind No More wrote:
But the "final numbers" I see are all ZEROS!!!
Oh! Not sure what's wrong. I printed them off this morning.

Coffeyville, KS

#7 Aug 6, 2008
Well, I still couldn't get it to load on the Montgomery County site, so I have pasted the results from Taylor News here for all to see. Too bad CSS didn't bite it. Maybe next time...

Montgomery County voters made their voices known at Tuesday’s primary election by giving the boot to three incumbent county officials.

Russell Canaday, the chief administrative judge for the 14th Judicial District, was upset in his re-election bid by Sedan attorney Gary House. House received 55 percent of the total Republican votes cast in Montgomery and Chautauqua counties while Canaday received 45 percent.

Actual votes were House with 2,903 votes and Canaday with 2,350.
House will now be the Republican nominee for the judicial seat and will advance to the Nov. 4 general election where he will face Independence attorney Robert Lattin. Lattin is the Democrat Party candidate and was uncontested in Tuesday’s primary election.

There will be a new sheriff in Montgomery County following the defeat of incumbent sheriff Stan Veach on Tuesday. Robert “Bobby” Dierks of Coffeyville claimed the Republican nomination for sheriff by defeating Veach: 2,333 (52.99 percent) to 2,070 (47.01 percent).

Dierks will now face the Democrat Party opponent, Jerry Gilbert, in the Nov. 4 general election. Gilbert was uncontested in Tuesday’s election.

Billie Lewark-Wood, a veteran of county government, was given her walking papers on Tuesday by Republican voters in the Montgomery County Commission, 2nd District. Lewark-Wood, who was completing her first term in office, was defeated by challenger Larry McManus of Independence. McManus garnered 996 total votes (53.26 percent) while Lewark-Wood, who spent more than 20 years as county treasurer prior to serving as county commissioner, received 769 votes (43.57 percent).

McManus will be unopposed in the November general election. Barring a write-in campaign by an opponent in the general election, McManus will take the oath of office as commissioner next January.

Charlotte Scott-Schmidt, incumbent county clerk, won the Republican nomination for that position by defeating two challengers. Scott-Schmidt received 2,059 votes (47 percent) while Tina Aldrich of Coffeyville finished in second place with 1,395 votes (31.84 percent). Pat Alexander of Independence picked up 927 votes to finish in third place (21.16 percent).

Scott-Schmidt will be unopposed in the November general election.

In a hotly-contested campaign for the Kansas Senate, 14th District, incumbent state senator Dwayne Umbarger of Thayer picked up the Republican nomination by defeating a stiff challenge by fellow Thayer resident Iris VanMeter. Umbarger won his race in Montgomery County (the 14th district includes Parker and Cherokee townships, including the city of Coffeyville): 641 votes (52 percent) to 596 votes (48 percent). The 14th district, which also includes all of Neosho and Labette counties as well as the southern half of Cherokee County, combined votes to give Umbarger a 65 percent to 35 percent edge over VanMeter.

Umbarger will move to the November general election to face Democrat Party candidate David L. Miller of Parsons.

Montgomery County voters also gave a defeat to a sales tax proposal on Tuesday. Had it been approved, the 1/4-cent sales tax would have funded an expansion of the Montgomery County Jail.

No votes were 3,301, or 60 percent, while yes votes were 2,241, or 40 percent.
Greener Pastures

Hutchinson, KS

#8 Aug 6, 2008
Didn't know I could do this, but:
Primary Election Results
48 of 49 Precincts Reporting
Final Count For This Evening !
10:42 P.M.
AUGUST 5, 2008
This page will auto-refresh every 5 minutes when active.(NOT ACTIVE)
These results are for Montgomery County, Kansas and are for information purposes only.
Official results are available from the Montgomery County Clerk's Office
State Offices
State Senate 14th District
Party
Votes
David L. Miller
Democratic
Dwayne Umbarger
Republican
Iris M. VanMeter
Republican
State Senate 15th District
Party
Votes
Derek Schmidt
Republican
State Representative 11th District
Party
Votes
Virgil O. Horn Jr.
Democratic
Virgil Peck Jr.
Republican
State Representative 12th District
Party
Votes
Sandra K. Frisco
Democratic
Jeff King
Republican
District Court Judge 14th District
Party
Votes
Russell D. Canaday
Republican
Gary House
Republican
Robert Lattin
Democratic 1058
County Offices
County Commissioner 2nd District
Party
Votes
Billie L. Lewark-Wood
Republican
Larry G. McManus Republican
County Commissioner 3rd District
Party
Votes
Fred M. Brown
Democratic
County Clerk
Party
Votes
Charlotte Scott Schmidt
Republican
Tina Aldrich
Republican
Pat Alexander
Republican
County Treasurer
Party
Votes
Nancy Clubine
Republican
County Attorney
Party
Votes
Larry Markle
Republican
Register of Deeds
Party
Votes
Marilyn Calhoun
Republican
County Sheriff
Party
Votes
Stanley R. Veach
Republican
Robert "Bobby" Dierks
Republican
Jerry Gilbert
Democratic
Montgomery County Sales Tax Question
Shall the following be adopted?
Shall Montgomery County, Kansas, be authorized to:(a) impose a special one-fourth percent (0.25%) retailers' sales tax (the "Sales Tax") for the purpose of financing the cost of constructing, furnishing and equipping an addition to the existing Montgomery County detention facility; and costs appurtenant thereto (the "Project"), collection of such Sales Tax to commence on January 1, 2009, or as soon thereafter as permitted by law, and to terminate upon the payment of all costs incurred in the financing of the Project (including the retirement of any revenue bonds issued and payable from such Sales Tax); and (b) issue sales tax revenue bonds to pay the costs of the Project and associated reserves and financing costs; all pursuant to the authority of K.S.A. 12-187 et seq., as amended?
YES - 2241
NO - 3301
These results are for Montgomery County, Kansas and are for information purposes only.
Official results are available from the Montgomery County Clerk's Office
Best experienced with (800x600) ieget_animated.gif (7090 bytes) 6.0+ & 6.0+
comments or suggestions e-mail: [email protected]
VOTE FOR DIERKS

United States

#9 Aug 6, 2008
Way to go Dierks & McManus! Looking forward to sealing the deal in November. See ya, to the criminals & crooks in the sheriff's office, and good riddance.

Since: Aug 10

Waverly, KS

#10 Nov 2, 2010
Well Montgomery County is doing it again. Broken down computers, so we can't find out the election results. Way to go Montgomery County.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#11 Nov 3, 2010
fuzzybutt wrote:
Well Montgomery County is doing it again. Broken down computers, so we can't find out the election results. Way to go Montgomery County.
I don't think the county had anything to do with it. Other machines in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Nevada and a few others had simlar problems. I think the States need to find another machine they can count on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coffeyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dump old city hall 3 hr kirk h 57
Indy EMS/Ambulance 7 hr Melissa Juarbe 42
Does Jesus Keep People Down? 10 hr DUHSherlock 4
Property Tax Deadbeats 10 hr Frank Crebase 43
history gone Mon mad 6
How many sickos are there in coffeyville (Oct '15) Aug 18 former friend 2
Get Sean Hannity Off KGGF! Aug 18 KIND MANAGMENT 15

Coffeyville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance