CDA murder early 1970's

“Give the Bear a hug!”

Since: Oct 08

Home is where you park it

#1 Feb 10, 2009
My mother and I remember a murder from the early 1970's in Coeur d'Alene. We moved there in 1972, and I think it occurred in 73-74. The victim was a young girl walking home from a school dance. Her body was found in a yard. My grandfather lived at 17th & St. Maries in the late '70's and kids in his neighborhood talked about it. Lakes Middle School is nearby, and it might have been the high school when the crime occurred.

The girl's last name was Prety. Her dad was a city official. Mom always thought Ted Bundy could have done it, given the proximity and the approximate timeline. I think the CDAPD suspected a guy first name of Duncan (not Joseph Duncan) who was executed in Montana for other crimes.

If anyone remembers this, please comment. I'd be interested to know the date when this happened.

“Give the Bear a hug!”

#2 Feb 10, 2009
The Montana killer's name was Duncan McKenzie. He was executed in 1995 for a murder committed in Jan. 1974, which means he lived about 20 years longer than he should have.
Pam

Wethersfield, CT

#3 Apr 21, 2009
I remember this murder very well. The school was then called the Mid High and was for 9th & 10th grades. The murder occurred right before school started, I believe in 1973. The girl would have been going into 10th grade, I was starting 9th. I didn't know her, but it was a very scary time in CD'A. As far as I know they never found out who killed her.

“Give the Bear a hug!”

#4 Apr 25, 2010
Thanks, Pam. There is no online information on the case, but the library in Coeur d'Alene carries actual bound copies of the local newspaper (Press) which have information. She was found a couple blocks from the school. I was a student at the Montessori school a couple blocks away at the time.

“Give the Bear a hug!”

#5 Apr 27, 2010
I went to the library and looked up the case. The murder occured the night of Oct. 26, 1973, and remains unsolved. It created quite a stir since Coeur d'Alene was a small town at the time.

The Bundy link intrigues me. Ted Bundy officially started his killing spree in Jan. 1974, but some suspect he may have started earlier. He was only 4 hours away from Idaho at the time and the Mid High (now Lakes Middle School) was located just off an I-90 exit. Usually, Bundy took great care to dispose of his victims, and in this case the girl's body was left in a backyard (across the street from her home).

The young girl was raped and strangled (Bundy MO, but not conclusive). I don't know the methods of sample collection in 1973, and whether any DNA evidence would still exist. Maybe I'll stroll over to the CDA Police Dept next door to their attractive library and ask some questions. Not likely anyone from 1973 would be left, though.
Janet

Pacific, WA

#6 Jan 17, 2011
She was my aunt. My dad, her older brother, is the one who found her. He did several interviews for local news officials days before Duncan was killed. My grandpa was a city official & the owned prety's dinner downtown.
Bev Hardin

Ozark, AR

#7 Dec 29, 2013
there was a murder around late 60's or early 70's, in or around Shreveport La. The person who did the crime was Dale George, would like to find the newspaper articles for this story.
Becky

Coeur D Alene, ID

#8 Oct 25, 2016
Big_Bear wrote:
My mother and I remember a murder from the early 1970's in Coeur d'Alene. We moved there in 1972, and I think it occurred in 73-74. The victim was a young girl walking home from a school dance. Her body was found in a yard. My grandfather lived at 17th & St. Maries in the late '70's and kids in his neighborhood talked about it. Lakes Middle School is nearby, and it might have been the high school when the crime occurred.

The girl's last name was Prety. Her dad was a city official. Mom always thought Ted Bundy could have done it, given the proximity and the approximate timeline. I think the CDAPD suspected a guy first name of Duncan (not Joseph Duncan) who was executed in Montana for other crimes.

If anyone remembers this, please comment. I'd be interested to know the date when this happened.
I went to school with Debbie Pretty and I remember the night she was killed. She was murdered walking home after a schooldance and her body was found the next day. She was quiet and friendly. She would've graduated in 1976. I'm not sure if the murder was solved.
Ahnah

Pullman, WA

#9 Jan 20, 2017
Becky wrote:
<quoted text> I went to school with Debbie Pretty and I remember the night she was killed. She was murdered walking home after a schooldance and her body was found the next day. She was quiet and friendly. She would've graduated in 1976. I'm not sure if the murder was solved.
Debbie Prety was my dear friend, I was with her that night at the dance, I was suppose to go and spend the night with her but my mother refused to let me go and picked me up. So many things have gone through my mind through the years... I loved her, she was kind and shy and sweet. I am now living near that school and reminded everyday of that murderer. Horrific things were done to Debbie. I remember there were many other crazy things going on in the Cda area. I never realized until years later how that incident affected me. I love you Debbie.
Fadedrose

Breaux Bridge, LA

#10 Nov 16, 2017
Ahnah wrote:
<quoted text>

Debbie Prety was my dear friend, I was with her that night at the dance, I was suppose to go and spend the night with her but my mother refused to let me go and picked me up. So many things have gone through my mind through the years... I loved her, she was kind and shy and sweet. I am now living near that school and reminded everyday of that murderer. Horrific things were done to Debbie. I remember there were many other crazy things going on in the Cda area. I never realized until years later how that incident affected me. I love you Debbie.
My friend and I spoke with Debbie the night of her murder. We had asked if she wanted us to walk her home and she said "No, I'll be fine, it's not far at all." There was some out of town guy skulking around at the time, and that's who my friend and I suspect. My friend thinks his name was George, but I remember his name was cliff. I don't recall seeing him after the murder. We went to Debbie's funeral. It was just horrifying what happened to her. During my criminal justice studies I wrote a paper about cold cases and e-mailed the CDA PD and they told me at that time it was still a cold case. That was around 2008. We had told the police who we suspected, but it obviously didn't go anywhere......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coeur d'Alene Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
In search of Richard Xavier (Sep '09) Dec 31 Dennis 11
Christmas tree lots in the area Dec '17 riverstone2 1
News Former VP Dick Cheney endorses Yates for Idaho ... Nov '17 kathy 1
News Idaho City Backs Down In Dispute With Ministers... (Oct '14) Nov '17 Chet Americaan 3
News Mega Millions Winning Numbers Unmatched as Jack... (Mar '11) Nov '17 Abandoned wife 33
Beware of Kirby Vacuum Sales Tactics! (Mar '13) Sep '17 Kirby Alalir 9
Air Quality Alert for Kootenai County starting... Sep '17 JoLynn gamble 1

Coeur d'Alene Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coeur d'Alene Mortgages