Astronomers spy possible baby planet in stellar womb

Mar 3, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Daily Star

An image from the NACO system on ESO's Very Large Telescope shows a candidate protoplanet in the disc of gas and dust around the young star HD100546 in this picture released on March 2, 2013.

Comments
1 - 1 of 1 Comments Last updated Mar 4, 2013

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

#1 Mar 4, 2013
Nice article.

The bit missing is the mass of the parent star.

One other item which would be good in comparison/contrasts would be a log distance plot of the planets from the central star and a note on the planet mass.

Do this with the solar system and all the planets line up spaced out like pearls on a string. Apparently this alignment with tidal resonances is not an accident, & is a relic of the formation of the solar system.

This same effect may show up with other exoplanetary systems. Those found & plotted so far however appear in large part to show a much wider spacing than that of the solar system, and the planets in the system also appear to have a much larger difference in mass. The solar system by comparison appears to have a double gas giant system with Saturn @ 0.3 Jupiter masses being much bigger & closer than the average seen so far,(with a 1 and 0.07 mass being more typical; with as a result of mass similarities between Jupiter and Saturn, the tidal resonances doubled in the same space, with more planets in the system as a result.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cocoa Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FL Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) 2 hr Go Blue Forever 2,122
Shark lounge 1970's (Aug '11) Sun Susan karppe 6
Cocoa Crime Sun Nornhalor 1
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) Aug 29 Sur 13 Beat 2,959
Homeless man (Apr '11) Aug 28 Raider 11
vacationing soon at cocoa beach Aug 25 Don Houston 1
Mary Ann Lewis, Peggy Lee Lewis Aug 23 Fred 1
•••
•••
Cocoa Beach Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Cocoa Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000