Man faces charge in another's death

Man faces charge in another's death

There are 38 comments on the Daily Star story from Oct 17, 2006, titled Man faces charge in another's death. In it, Daily Star reports that:

A 19-year-old Cobleskill man died Monday, four days after receiving multiple punches to the head from a man who has been charged with manslaughter, Cobleskill village police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Maria Stocks NC

AOL

#1 Oct 18, 2006
I can NOT believe this is the town that I grew up in. I know that everything changes, but for an entire town to let the loss of a man's life slide quietly by, shames me. This used to be a town where people looked somewhat after one another. I'm amazed that a cold blooded murder happened in the center of town, and no one offered to help, to end it, to do SOMETHING. If there was no weapon, why was everyone so afraid to save another? Why? Not helping, and burying heads in the sand is also a CRIME! I am no legal expert, but assault and manslaughter? The younger man had the option to walk away, and he obviously didn't. To me, that is murder, cold blooded murder. It seems to me that Cobleskill doesn't care about its citizens very much any more. Those charges only add outrageous insult to deadly injury.
Lori B

United States

#2 Oct 19, 2006
I grew up in Cobleskill and it's really hard to believe that something of this magnitude can happen there. The park use be a quiet place and Park Place use be even quieter. There were no fights and violence. Everybody use to look out for each other and it was a safe place to grow up. We use to ride our bikes all over Cobleskill and the surrounding area and never had to worry about much of anything. My prayers go out to the parents of this boy who was murdered.
Old wounds

Cape Charles, VA

#3 Oct 23, 2006
Some years ago my older brother died in a the same way. I was mad I wanted vengence I wanted answers
I went out looking for this man. and when I found him I asked him why? and he told me he was afraid
he was afraid of my brother (he was a strong man)
and he know that if my brother got up he would kill him he was sure of that.he didn't mean to do it is all that he could say. this man was sobbing broken
and when I saw the sorrow in his soul as our eyes locked. I was speachless. there was nothing I could say. and he said say what ever you want to say to me. But I only know that I have to live with this for the rest of my life. That was deep! Not saying anything I walked away. And as I walked away I thought OH MY GOD! what if it had been the other way around. And I Thank God that our family did not have to feel that heavy burden. And I prayed for that man, who was also a distant cousin.
I thought how would i feel if something like this happened to me. How would you feel? what would you do?
Now the old wounds are open again on both sides of the fence.
I pray for both families, as we have been through this before. and I know the pain the agony that is going through their hearts.
As a family that has experienced a situation like this I want to express my deepest simpthy and and ask they forgiveness in that a member of my family has cause you such pain. We know that pain.
May the creator be content with his soul.
There aren't any words expressed that can comfort you at this very time. I know his pain.
I will pay for your family that the Creator bring peace, tranquility and blessing to you heard.
I do not know Rome, but he is my nephew.
and I pray for him too and his father my other brother. Because the blood is now in our hands.
This is a very difficult situation. We are not a heartless family we are just people that faith has
thrusted two blows, of such magnitude!
Life is like a box of chocalate you never know what your gonna get.
This has affected this family just as hard.
As we know the wounds on both sides of the
fence.
With tears in my eyes I'm really sorry that faith
has brought these two families to this traggic event
as we have been down that road before.
Old wounds have been opened, And we feel your pain!
I will be praying for you sons soul and ask the Creator to shed his light and iluminate you. Through this very difficult, and darkest moment in you lives.
May the Creators Peace and Blessings be upon you.
With tears in my eyes and sorrow in my soul,
Maria Carmona
Lois Lawyer

Delanson, NY

#4 Oct 24, 2006
First let me relay my sympathys to Jessie's family...a horrific ending to a young man's life...I am glad his attacker will be prosecuted...Unlike the men that beat my nephews on Thanksgiving Day 2004, and very well could have ended up like Jessie...they were savagely beaten, the photos are so gruesome that I nor their parents can even look at them again...The D.A., and The Village Police Department did not find "enough hard evidence"...what a joke...sworn statements from the victims clearly state the offenders who committed these horrific assaults, photos of the gruesome injuries, and no justice... Let me ask you this, if no crime was committed then why did the Crime Victims unit pay for the astronomical medical bills incurred from these savage beatings, and why you ask...the whole town knows why...it was who the assailants were, and who their parents were...What message did that kind of justice send to the people in our community ...its who you are...pure politics...I would never look to the Village of Cobleskill Police Department or the D.A. of Schoharie County for justice should a crime be committed against me...they would be the last agency I would call, I would get more justice from a Dog Warden...Those of us that know the truth, will never forget this injustice...I am only sorry that a young man had to literally die to make a statement that was ignored almost 2 years ago. My deepest sympathy I again relay to the family of Jessie Skyler.
Thanksgiving Day 2004

Gambrills, MD

#5 Oct 25, 2006
I saw that fight on Thanksgiving Day 2004. Your poor little pot-smoking nephews started the fight when they attempted to sexual assault a young woman at the bar in Cobleskill. A bar full of witnesses said the same thing. The CPD took eyewitness reports from 15 people. Your nephews were in the wrong.
Lois Lawyer wrote:
First let me relay my sympathys to Jessie's family...a horrific ending to a young man's life...I am glad his attacker will be prosecuted...Unlike the men that beat my nephews on Thanksgiving Day 2004, and very well could have ended up like Jessie...they were savagely beaten, the photos are so gruesome that I nor their parents can even look at them again...The D.A., and The Village Police Department did not find "enough hard evidence"...what a joke...sworn statements from the victims clearly state the offenders who committed these horrific assaults, photos of the gruesome injuries, and no justice... Let me ask you this, if no crime was committed then why did the Crime Victims unit pay for the astronomical medical bills incurred from these savage beatings, and why you ask...the whole town knows why...it was who the assailants were, and who their parents were...What message did that kind of justice send to the people in our community ...its who you are...pure politics...I would never look to the Village of Cobleskill Police Department or the D.A. of Schoharie County for justice should a crime be committed against me...they would be the last agency I would call, I would get more justice from a Dog Warden...Those of us that know the truth, will never forget this injustice...I am only sorry that a young man had to literally die to make a statement that was ignored almost 2 years ago. My deepest sympathy I again relay to the family of Jessie Skyler.
Eyewitness

Cape Charles, VA

#6 Oct 26, 2006
Thanksgiving Day 2004 wrote:
I saw that fight on Thanksgiving Day 2004. Your poor little pot-smoking nephews started the fight when they attempted to sexual assault a young woman at the bar in Cobleskill. A bar full of witnesses said the same thing. The CPD took eyewitness reports from 15 people. Your nephews were in the wrong.
<quoted text>
I'm glad you said that. Because things aren't always what they seem.
outsider looking in

Ballston Spa, NY

#7 Oct 27, 2006
Eyewitness wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad you said that. Because things aren't always what they seem.
I agree things are not always as they seem,I would like to know one thing;if these two young boys(Jesse and Rome)had a beef WHY would Jesse go to where Rome was living?I was not a witness but it seems to be that something isn't right.I think there is more to that nightmare than is being said.And with so many witnesses and no weapon then why nobody stepped in to try and stop it?This is so sick that people will stand by and watch two young people fight and not do anything!Life has no vaule SAD!!!!!!!!
David Avit Cobleskill

Albany, NY

#8 Oct 27, 2006
Ms. Carmona, can you contact us here at the Times-Journal at [email protected] about the story about your nehphew.
Thank you,
David Avitabile
Old wounds wrote:
Some years ago my older brother died in a the same way. I was mad I wanted vengence I wanted answers
I went out looking for this man. and when I found him I asked him why? and he told me he was afraid
he was afraid of my brother (he was a strong man)
and he know that if my brother got up he would kill him he was sure of that.he didn't mean to do it is all that he could say. this man was sobbing broken
and when I saw the sorrow in his soul as our eyes locked. I was speachless. there was nothing I could say. and he said say what ever you want to say to me. But I only know that I have to live with this for the rest of my life. That was deep! Not saying anything I walked away. And as I walked away I thought OH MY GOD! what if it had been the other way around. And I Thank God that our family did not have to feel that heavy burden. And I prayed for that man, who was also a distant cousin.
I thought how would i feel if something like this happened to me. How would you feel? what would you do?
Now the old wounds are open again on both sides of the fence.
I pray for both families, as we have been through this before. and I know the pain the agony that is going through their hearts.
As a family that has experienced a situation like this I want to express my deepest simpthy and and ask they forgiveness in that a member of my family has cause you such pain. We know that pain.
May the creator be content with his soul.
There aren't any words expressed that can comfort you at this very time. I know his pain.
I will pay for your family that the Creator bring peace, tranquility and blessing to you heard.
I do not know Rome, but he is my nephew.
and I pray for him too and his father my other brother. Because the blood is now in our hands.
This is a very difficult situation. We are not a heartless family we are just people that faith has
thrusted two blows, of such magnitude!
Life is like a box of chocalate you never know what your gonna get.
This has affected this family just as hard.
As we know the wounds on both sides of the
fence.
With tears in my eyes I'm really sorry that faith
has brought these two families to this traggic event
as we have been down that road before.
Old wounds have been opened, And we feel your pain!
I will be praying for you sons soul and ask the Creator to shed his light and iluminate you. Through this very difficult, and darkest moment in you lives.
May the Creators Peace and Blessings be upon you.
With tears in my eyes and sorrow in my soul,
Maria Carmona
Old wounds

Cape Charles, VA

#9 Oct 27, 2006
outsider looking in wrote:
<quoted text> I agree things are not always as they seem,I would like to know one thing;if these two young boys(Jesse and Rome)had a beef WHY would Jesse go to where Rome was living?I was not a witness but it seems to be that something isn't right.I think there is more to that nightmare than is being said.And with so many witnesses and no weapon then why nobody stepped in to try and stop it?This is so sick that people will stand by and watch two young people fight and not do anything!Life has no vaule SAD!!!!!!!!
When my brother was killed he also went to the mans house. why? we'll never know. If I know that I don't get along with some one "I" would not go to their house My only guess is that he wanted to continue their arguments.(And like this present situation there were other people there that did not do anything about it.) With out even thinking about what kind of outcome this comfrontation may lead to or even the consequences. What as going through his mind at that time, no one will ever know........We can only speculate. No one ever knows what's in some elses mind nor what they are thinking about.

M. Carmona
Old wounds

Cape Charles, VA

#10 Oct 27, 2006
David Avit Cobleskill wrote:
Ms. Carmona, can you contact us here at the Times-Journal at [email protected] about the story about your nehphew.
Thank you,
David Avitabile
<quoted text>
Mr. Avitabile

I do not know what I can tell you about my nephews' story, I do not live nowhere near Cobleskills. Not even in NY. I was made aware by another family member
and sent news stories by email. Then I found this forum and wanted to express my feelings about what "I" had experienced personnally when my family suffered the same situation and express my deepest simpathy and heartfelt sorrow to this family. Since my family has experienced what they are going through at this time. Ironically, the heavy burden of having to carry the weight of taking some ones life is on our family. This is not a good feeling on our souls.

There is nothing I can tell you about me nephew, cause as I said I do not know him. We live in different states. I've only talked to him once several weeks ago like 3 hrs for the first time. Prior to this happening. I was looking forward to continueing our chats and bonding as family offering advise as I do my children, all my nieces and nephews. Brothers and sisters.

Maria Carmona
Lois Lawyer

Delanson, NY

#11 Oct 27, 2006
Thanksgiving Day 2004 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a lie and you know it...and the so called bar full of witnesses you are referring to were mostly "GOOD BUDDIES" of the attackers, must be you are too....proves you can be bought, how pathetic a person you are....
Lois Lawyer

Delanson, NY

#12 Oct 27, 2006
I will also add to the "EYEWITNESS".... response...How would you like to have gone through such an experience and have your attackers walk away... my nephews have moved on, I will never let this be forgotten, I grew up in this town and I know what goes on...people go to bars, they party, they do whatever they do... tell me, is that where you make your buys, we all know who the wheelers and dealers are, or are you one of them? No one deserves to be treated or abused in such a manner and have it dismissed...and sexual assault, brushing up against someone in a "crowded" bar IS NOT SEXUAL ASSAULT.....that too was documented in the police reports and the police as incompetent as they were with all this certainly did not think so...So stay in Virginia because it is obviously legal in Cobleskill to be brutilized, unless of course you happen to die from it...and then if gee I did not mean it comes into play, then that might be okay too....I follow the rules and the laws of this land and only expect that others should do the same, especially those whom we pay or are elected to uphold the law....and you?
Right and Wrong

Gambrills, MD

#13 Oct 29, 2006
This issue isn't about money; it's about right and wrong. I wasn't bought by anyone and I am NOT "GOOD BUDDIES" with anyone. I saw the attack and I saw what happen before the attack. I wasn't drinking that night. They started the fight because they were grabbing and touching a woman at the bar (it wasn't an accident). They also threw the first punch in the fight. These boys could not control their actions around women and were more than drunk. How can you believe their story if they were drunk?

You have to ask yourself, why didn't anyone back-up your nephewÂ’s story? Is it because there was a conspiracy in Cobleskill against your nephews or is it because you nephews were drunk and stoned (weren't they arrested for possession the same week?) and were groping women in the bar?
No one special

Deltona, FL

#15 Oct 31, 2006
I have been following these comments and feel compelled to repy about what you have said, about "Right and Wrong"! No matter what happened that night with all the he said, she said, do you think it was"Right" to stand there and watch those boys being beaten after they had tried to walk away from it more than once and were circled outside the bar and then followed across the street and one of them jumped from behind by not one by two guys. Seems to me they iniated the fight. Either way was it right that one was being held to the ground kicked teeth smashed out watching I believe it was his brother being beaten in the face repeatly was this even a fair fight. How could you stand there and watch something like that? There shouldn't be any stones thrown as to who was under the influence that eve it is a very small town and everyone knows who does what drugs. I also believe that those boys were not backed out of fear of the assailants. Either way it doesn't matter that fight was a freak show and should of never happened and you witnessed it and did nothing to stop ANYONE from getting hurt so I ask you what is RIGHT AND WRONG?
outsider looking in

Ballston Spa, NY

#16 Nov 1, 2006
"Right and Wrong"what confusing words! Where is the line drawn,what is right and wrong?Do people even know the meaning any more?Those boys in 2004 that got beaten,if they were so wrong why didn't the woman call the police and press sexual harassment charges? Instead the onlookers took it into their own hands! Same thing with this new case with this Rome and Jesse.From what is being said these two young men had an on going beef in the street from this summer.So why would Jesse go to Rome's home? Was this right?Was it right for Rome to defend himself? Was it right for all the witness' to stand by and watch without calling the police? Was it right for a life to be taken so senselessly?What is right and what is wrong??
Bad Boys

AOL

#17 Nov 1, 2006
It sounds like these were just bad kids. Their family wants to blame everyone but the kids themselves. They want to blame the police. They want to blame the DA. They want to blame the witnesses, who didn't help. Wow! It sounds like two smart ass kids wanted to play grab ass in the bar and started a fight they couldn't finish. I think we should blame the parents.
Lois Lawyer

Delanson, NY

#18 Nov 17, 2006
No, you just don't get it do you....First the "grab ass incident did not happen"...none the less, the point is 2 young men were brutally beaten with what could have ended in death, just like Jesse, luckily they did not...the point is it is not anyones fault but the assailants and all the people who stood by and let it happen....the main point is that the Cobleskill Police did absolutley nothing, along with the D.A. to bring the assailants to justice....it should not matter who is who...a crime was committed and in my world...if you commit a crime...there are consequences...but, not with these assailants, they have gotten away with this kind of brutality before and now once again...This is dispicable and I hate the fact that if the same exact crime happend 50 miles from here, the assailants would have been arrested immediately....I was assured that when I took the pictures, depositions etc... to Albany to find out what I already knew...it all depends on who you are as to whether you pay for your crimes in this county...I am ashamed to have such representation that pick and choose who they will arrest for crimes, makes you feel really safe in this county...Doesn't it?
Re Lois Lawyer

AOL

#19 Nov 18, 2006
I really think you live in your own world. The facts are these men sexually assaulted a woman then started a fight when they were confronted. Women should not be harassed when they out trying to have a good time. These men are sexual predators and violent. They should be on a web site somewhere. I have a seen their names in the Times Journal and they have a history of deviant behavior problems in the Cobleskill community. You are advocating this deviant behavior because you are related to these sexual predators. These men are no angles and I am sure Cobleskill PD knew exactly the type of degenerates they dealing with in this case. The only ones to blame are the sexual offenders in this case.
Lois Lawyer

Delanson, NY

#22 Nov 19, 2006
Yes, I am related, and I live in the real world, not this fantasy of the assailants girlfriend being sexually assualted, If she was sexually assaulted then why did she not have a story to tell, Why, because it did not happen...you must remember that not all the people who were there and witnessed this fiasco lied to protect the assailants...you need to stop living in a fantasy world....there are no sexual offenders in this case and you know it...so what is with you....I would never condone sexual assault, or assault of any kind...I don't care who the person is...family or not...I just want the REAL truth voiced and believe me you are not it....
No one special

Deltona, FL

#23 Nov 21, 2006
So much for getting the point of right and wrong!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cobleskill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a Place in Schoharie County to Ride... Jun '16 sooodone 2
Schoharie County Social Services (Jul '11) Mar '16 jakes5girl 26
"Birthing Home" (Mar '09) Sep '15 4nrose 3
why are people here so freaking weird. (Apr '14) Aug '15 weirdo 2
Where are the Flowers ? (Jul '15) Jul '15 Diana Barber 1
Looking to adopt small dog (Jun '15) Jun '15 Diana 1
News 3 Singers From Utica Take us on a Nostalgic Tri... (May '15) May '15 Too Funny 2

Cobleskill Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cobleskill Mortgages