Home Rule- Anna Home Taxes Soar 2013
bob

Saint Louis, MO

#21 Mar 14, 2013
City vehicles driven home,is this really happening?What else we dont know?
ole farmer

Saint Louis, MO

#22 Mar 14, 2013
Hogs in the trough only know two words-MO MONEY!!!OINK OINK
Better

West Frankfort, IL

#23 Mar 14, 2013
read up on home rule!!!If passed Anna politicians can pass taxes on just about everything and NO CAP ON PROPERTY TAXES!!!With the inevitable closing of Choate and the loss of other businesses in Anna they are looking for any way to make up the loss!!
outside looking in

Saint Louis, MO

#24 Mar 14, 2013
Read the writing wrote:
If home rule passed,more money for fire dept.personel and police,WHERE DID OUR MAYOR COME FROM!!!!Just another example of the nepotism and good ole boys helping each other!!
If you knew the real Jim Cross, Anna's Mayor, you would know that he is the fire/police departments worst enemy.
Read the writing

West Frankfort, IL

#25 Mar 14, 2013
I knew Jim Cross back when he lived in housing on john street in Jonesboro. He has forgotten where he came from!!
Anna man

Herrin, IL

#26 Mar 15, 2013
There is a meeting about it at city hall 9am 3-16-2013 9AM
The voice of truth

Belton, MO

#27 Mar 16, 2013
Read the writing wrote:
I knew Jim Cross back when he lived in housing on john street in Jonesboro. He has forgotten where he came from!!
Yes he did live in the housing on John Street. He was seventeen, married, had a new baby, worked 50 hours a week at IGA and completed his senior year of high school to provide for his family and better himself. So to reply to your accusation that he has forgotten where he came from you are very wrong. It is proof of the hard working, motivated person he has always been and he is proud to remember where he came from and that he has had the opportunity to give to his community through the years and represent it in a leadership position today. And by the way, people that make the crude statement you made are also ones that would complain had he be born with a silver spoon in his mouth also!
Read the writing

Benton, IL

#28 Mar 16, 2013
The voice of truth:: And by the way, people that make the crude statement you made are also ones that would complain had he be born with a silver spoon in his mouth also!

Thats assuming a lot on your part,I was stating my opinion not making an unfounded statement saying that someone is making crude statements by stating their opinion.Sounds to me like I touched a nerve.
Yes home rule

Carbondale, IL

#29 Mar 17, 2013
Thats where you are wrong, With Springfield having the say on everything now home rule will completely benefit Anna. If it passes and they choose to use it, you are talking 1 penny on a dollar which will keep the funds up that Springfield is taking away. Home rule will not raise property taxes, it will actually take them down due to other revenue. If you do your homework the City of Anna has kept there property tax portion down lower than any city around here. Home rule gives the Township options that Springfield does not, plus we can not vote Springfield out, but if the elected official abuse it they can be voted out as well as home rule. Without home rule the City of Anna will be forced to look at other revenue and yes chances would then be possibly raising property taxes, and reduction of services provided by the City of Anna. You must keep in mind that the tools asosiated with home rule may never be used but if needed the City would have the option before it would be to late. One good thing about home rule is the City officials using it are effected by it also, as compared to Springfield not giving 2 cents about us. Please look into it and give it some thought
Come on down

Kansas City, KS

#30 Mar 17, 2013
Come an move to Texas,NO state income tax, less government,lots more jobs and warmer in winter.Best of all fewer Spendocrats!
facts

Kansas City, KS

#31 Mar 17, 2013
The population signs for Anna says 5100,that was for year 2000.Real population was 4441 for year 2010.Since we have lost Transcraft and most of Holcombs probably fewer people than that even now.Almost 14 percent fewer.Great work guys.
sure would help

Marion, IL

#32 Mar 18, 2013
At least it would take us from depending on Springfield how does not give a hoot about us to a local council who must also live with their decisions. If we did not like their decisions we can vote them and home rule out and with Springfield that is not an option we are force fed their decisions
VERY Important

Benton, IL

#33 Mar 18, 2013
On June 8, 1981, the Morton Grove Village Board of Trustees passed the history -making ban on handgun possession, as well as the sale of handguns. The Village Board's 4-2 vote led the Village into nation-wide prominence as the first community to ban the possession of handguns within its boundaries. This decision subsequently became the battleground for pro-gun and anti-gun factions across the country and worldwide. The ordinance survived three separate legal challenges. One suit was heard in the Illinois State Supreme Court and another, the U.S. Court of Appeals. On October 3, 1983, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear the case, leaving intact the decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals which ruled that Morton Grove's handgun ban did not violate citizens' right to keep and bear arms according to the Second Amendment. Gun control legislation continues to be a hot topic of debate at all levels of government -- local, state, and federal. Morton Grove, Illinois, remains at the forefront of this debate. BEST REASON BESIDES NO CAP ON PROPERTY TAXES TO VOTE NO!!!!
john

Kansas City, KS

#34 Mar 18, 2013
what is the city of Anna doin to get jobs here,whathave they ever done?
Taxpayer

Herrin, IL

#35 Mar 18, 2013
Received a resource guide to home rule attached to the utility bill. Definition of Home Rule is clearly defined as "Self Government". Government by the existing individuals in office. Why are they considering Home Rule? Decreasing revenues, increasing expenses. Unfunded mandates from the state. What are the Unfunded mandates? What are the increasing expenses? They note that some of the increase in expenses are higher liability insurance. Why? Do we have alot of claims?(FOIA that.) High health insurance premiums? Welcome to the club. Pensions? Most of Anna don't even have a job, let alone a pension. Aging Infrastructure was listed. Well, the City Hall has a relatively new facility as well as the Police/Fire and City Garage. Take a look at that new road running in front of the local taverns and railroad tracks. Really? Not very impressed with that decision. Or was that mandated by Springfield? Home rule will enable the City Council to deal with local problems at the local level. City Ordinances already do that. Zoning ordinances are voted on by the City Council. Too much power already. They are currently able to dictate what you do with your property,(no improvements for your own personal comfort, ie garages/upgrade your homes unless the zoning board approves it)($500.00) now they want you to vote YES so they will be in total control of your property including taxation and the ability to "maintain a more diversified and flexible revenue base". Excuse me, WHAT???? They then go on about the Benefits v. "potential" Disadvantages. I didn't see any benefits to me, the everyday resident. I did find the "potential" disadvantages interesting though. 1. Local officials have greater discretion to generate revenues through issuing bonds and increasing taxes - ie. property and sales tax increases, etc. 2. Less state oversight. 3. Potential for abuse of broad powers. HELLO......... What happens if Home Rule Fails? 1. The City will continue to look for ways to contain costs to maintain a balanced budget and fund necessary capital expenditures. Reduction in personnel/equipment purchases. Postpone improvements. Decrease services and modification (Increase) of user fee to fund delivery costs, trash collection, etc. In other words, the ways the "City" will look to, to fund additional costs is the residents. We are going to pay if we VOTE YES, We are going to pay if we VOTE NO. VOTE NO. Vote for Change. Change in City Council. Change in Mayor. Change in City Administration. I don't owe them health insurance when I can't afford it for myself. I don't owe them a pension. I don't owe them a job either. They all forget that they have a job, because of the taxpayers of Anna. They owe the taxpayers/residents fiscal responsibility and accountability. Just my opinion. VOTE NO.
sure would help

Marion, IL

#36 Mar 19, 2013
But I'm sure you do enjoy the benefits and services provided. Home rule in my book is a must, we must take Springfield out of the picture and give it to someone local who cares and has to obide by the same they would pass
OMG

Brookport, IL

#37 Mar 19, 2013
sure would help wrote:
But I'm sure you do enjoy the benefits and services provided. Home rule in my book is a must, we must take Springfield out of the picture and give it to someone local who cares and has to obide by the same they would pass
Who would that be? The mayor, the city council or the city administrator? Who is it that we should trust to place our city present and future with? Some one local! Who is the individual that receives the city on a plate?
Taxpayer

Herrin, IL

#38 Mar 19, 2013
sure would help wrote:
At least it would take us from depending on Springfield how does not give a hoot about us to a local council who must also live with their decisions. If we did not like their decisions we can vote them and home rule out and with Springfield that is not an option we are force fed their decisions
Before or after they mortgaged the city to the hilt. It would be too late. Why give the local council that authority. Not very impressed with them or their decisions so far. VOTE NO.
get umgone

Kansas City, KS

#39 Mar 19, 2013
Seems as though Anna and Union county government have something in common,they really only care about themselves.They want to hurry up,put their time in,get their humongo pensions.All the while getting as many family members hired and getting as much as they can for themselves.All the while the rest of us have to drive miles to work because our elected leaders either dont want to get any jobs here,lack any common sense to do what it takes to get jobs here or thirdly they just dont give a rats azz about the rest of us.VOTE NO NO NO !!
get umgone

Kansas City, KS

#40 Mar 19, 2013
Just another thought,need independent poll watchers and vote counter.Still havent found many voters who voted yes on the new courthouse that we couldnt afford.hmmmm VOTE NO

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cobden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
union county democrats care 4 hr randy 2
Shawnee college - is she qualified 13 hr ya right 18
Starview owner and mayor of Cobden Fri Bob 1
end game warning Fri outsider 1
New County Budget 1/2 Million in Red Fri afscme 62
hate it (Nov '13) Fri Backrow 2
Alan Casey. Fri Alexander 3

Cobden Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance