chi chi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2010

It used to be such a treat to attend the Peach Festival, but now there to seems to be almost nothing to do except stand around and visit or watch the Pagent. Why not incorporate some entertainment if they want a better turn out. Karaoke is fine, but the same one wins year after year. Why not have a gospel band or a c/w band, something that would appeal to the not so old and the old generation. If you want a more productive affair, then you must put more effort into it. Why don't you enlist the public for thier views as to how the Peach Festival could be more successful.
Cobden Apple

Catawissa, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2010

I agree with chi chi. The Peach Festival used to be so fun. Now it is...well, boring! It is set up exactly the same way every year. The karaoke is kind of a joke. I really don't think anyone listens, and why would they? The people singing shouldn't be. Get some quality entertainment. Enlist some people to actually wipe off the tables in the food area. Make the bingo prizes better. What about a petting zoo? What happened to the locally run games...the carni stuff is silly and no fun. How about the "dunk the monkey" stand? Put some local "big wigs" in there and see if the money doesn't pour in. Now that's fun!
Reader

Anna, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2010

I use to never miss it and now I don't go at all...There was nothing to do but stand around and a few raggedy rides the last time I went...
chi chi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2010

Cobden Apple wrote:
I agree with chi chi. The Peach Festival used to be so fun. Now it is...well, boring! It is set up exactly the same way every year. The karaoke is kind of a joke. I really don't think anyone listens, and why would they? The people singing shouldn't be. Get some quality entertainment. Enlist some people to actually wipe off the tables in the food area. Make the bingo prizes better. What about a petting zoo? What happened to the locally run games...the carni stuff is silly and no fun. How about the "dunk the monkey" stand? Put some local "big wigs" in there and see if the money doesn't pour in. Now that's fun!
wonder if the Lion's Club would let some of the public come to a meeting & make suggestion.
Cobden Apple

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2010

I wouldn't see why they wouldn't. It's just suggestions. The worst they can do is say no to all the ideas. Who is the head of the Lion's Club these days?
Chi Chi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2010

Cobden Apple wrote:
I wouldn't see why they wouldn't. It's just suggestions. The worst they can do is say no to all the ideas. Who is the head of the Lion's Club these days?
Gene Dammerman & Donnie Campbell are involved,not sure who the president is. They really need a planning committee for entertainment & they need some new blood in who does the pagent
I live in Cobden

Cobden, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2010

I dont' see anything wrong with how the pageant is ran....it's the same as the fairs around here...however, I do agree with Chi-Chi. they do need to come up with some sort of "new" entertainment...
hhmmmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2010

lets put the bank presidents in the dunking booth. that would be fun and a good money maker!
Joanne Long

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2010

Y'all come at 5 p.m. Friday Aug. 6, the opening evening of the 2010 Peach Festival to hear the Roundup Pals, an string band with three fiddles, cello, doghouse bass, and guitar. From 5 to 6 p.m., we'll play and sing bluegrass and traditional folk/country music from "Cluck Old Hen" and "Soldier's Joy" to the Jerry Garcia-David Grisman arrangement of "Shady Grove." The Pals are filling in for the Roundup Gals (fiddle, accordion, bass) who opened the festival from 2004 to 2009.

And though you may buy peach cobbler and sandwiches, buy tickets for games of chance in which the prizes are peaches, and spend money on carnival rides, there's no charge for admission to the festival, which is a fundraiser for the Cobden Lions Club's community service activities.
Moving Mary Band

Carbondale, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2010

Moving Mary Band is playing at the Palace Pizzeria on Friday night.....usually start around 8:30. We always have a blast playing in Cobden and tonight should be alot of fun....c'mon out and spend the evening with us....we play a wide variety of great tunes...!
SIS

Columbia, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

I have been to a couple peach Festivals several years ago...I honestly thought it was a picnic for a nursing home...There was great music playing and i ask several people why nobody was dancing? I got the same answer from each and everyone of them..."I don't know." Maybe thats one of the problems...People need to get up and live it up a little bit...The picnic is suppose to be fun....I think all of you people need to broaden your horizens and go to other town picnics, and see what they are doing to bring money in, and what they are doing to keep people there having fun...The Lions Club is a great organization and Im sure that you all dont mind spending money at their picnic, but there should be something to do there for all ages that is fun...Not just sitting at picnic tables chatting and going home early...I have been to alot of small town picnics and none of them are quite like yours, they are all having a blast and there is lots of laughter...So broaden your horizens, go to other picnics and take notes...May you future Peach Festivals be more fun and bring in lots of money for the Lions Club. Cobin is a great town with lots of awfully nice people living there, but gee whiz live it up a little, the picnic is only once a year.
Appleknocker

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2010

Oh please, the pageant is rigged. What kind of pageant do they have the director sits behind the contestant during interviews?

Since this and "karaoke" is the only form of entertainment I no longer attend the peach festival.
Lucy Allen

Columbia City, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2011

I am from Northern Indiana and was at the peach festival last year. I wondered why there were no craft booths or other types of vendors. That draws people in for sure! I have written a book that takes place in that area and I would be interested in having a booth with my book, if the space was available. Also tournaments are good things to have, such as tug of war or the corn-hole game, that's so popular now. This festival has great potential to grow and be great fun! Don't quit going. Continue to support it so the organizers will be encouraged to bring in more attractions.
Lucy Allen

Columbia City, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2011

I don't know why it posted me as being from Warsaw, In. I am from Bremen,In.
Nicole Kopec

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

Shame on you guys! First of all, no one wants to hear a gospel band, if you want to hear gospel music then go to Fuzzy's on Friday and the DJ will play Creed. barf.
Second of all, you people do not know a good thing when you have it. I am from Chicago and all the carnivals are trashy and run by scary carnies. Every single ride and booth are the same corporate produced big wheeled rolled in rusty junk. Honestly, every single carnival is the exact same. The rides cost one dollar a ticket, but each ride is atleast 3 tickets to ride them, it is a rip off. They have good prices and the workers are actually friendly. Do you know how refreshing it is to see a small town have a genuine festival? If you want to have a better festival, why don't you volenteer and help out?! No one got paid to set up and plan that festival, so stop complaining and help out your community! I agree with Lucy Allen, I was impressed with her comment, the only thing that I would suggest to you would be to contact the organizers and simply ask them if you can set up a booth for your book. You can make a difference! Who knows, maybe you would inspire more vendors to set up their own booths and you would be the first one to start the craft fair!
Jan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2011

Judged:

Nicole Kopec wrote:
Shame on you guys! First of all, no one wants to hear a gospel band, if you want to hear gospel music then go to Fuzzy's on Friday and the DJ will play Creed. barf.
Second of all, you people do not know a good thing when you have it. I am from Chicago and all the carnivals are trashy and run by scary carnies. Every single ride and booth are the same corporate produced big wheeled rolled in rusty junk. Honestly, every single carnival is the exact same. The rides cost one dollar a ticket, but each ride is atleast 3 tickets to ride them, it is a rip off. They have good prices and the workers are actually friendly. Do you know how refreshing it is to see a small town have a genuine festival? If you want to have a better festival, why don't you volenteer and help out?! No one got paid to set up and plan that festival, so stop complaining and help out your community! I agree with Lucy Allen, I was impressed with her comment, the only thing that I would suggest to you would be to contact the organizers and simply ask them if you can set up a booth for your book. You can make a difference! Who knows, maybe you would inspire more vendors to set up their own booths and you would be the first one to start the craft fair!
I actually wouldn't mind a gospel band or some kind of music competition one night. Our community enjoys stuff like that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cobden Discussions

Search the Cobden Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Shooting in Jonesboro 31 min i think 19
Ralph Smith 33 min Guest 7
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 55 min Registered Earth Angel 47,046
Hotel 7 Inn [Super 8] 1 hr yep 7
who is the hottest chick in union county? 2 hr blah 13
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr jimtownhounddogsniffing 3,777
Quinn-Proud 2B NO 2 Unemployment 2 hr tired yet 1
•••
•••
•••
Cobden Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Cobden Jobs

•••
•••
•••