Over 100 and still driving

May 26, 2010 Full story: abclocal.go.com 31

She's about to turn 104-years-old, yet she lives alone and still drives!

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Fire in my Bones and”

Since: Apr 10

The sweet taste of Kerosene

#22 May 27, 2010
The 80 year old if they drive against orders absolutely should be charged with dangerous driving. I do not think that seniors really need to retake the written exam each year, just the driving part (and more than the once around the block, maybe some freeway entrance and exiting) If the tester has questions about mental capacity, possible then require a written, but that pretty much has stayed the same since the invention of the Stop light. And an 18 isn't a moron, they know driving and talking is wrong. Just like they know drinking underage is illegal, but nothing is going to stop them from doing it. Now after 1st offense for talking on a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle, maybe a remedial driving course, geared towards what can happen to people who drive and talk on the phone, full of graphic pictures and testimonials, I could see. I wasn't disagreeing with your original post, just elborating on my view. I am almost 30, and worst thing I have had driving wise is a head lamp being out ticket, lol.

“Happy Holidays”

Since: Nov 07

"you get back what you give"

#23 May 27, 2010
IF I make it to even 90, someone better have taken my D.L. and removed ALL my lipsticks! Should have had enough embarrassments by that age.

“Fire in my Bones and”

#24 May 27, 2010
Lmao....they do love their lipstick...

“behind curtain #1”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#25 May 27, 2010
Ashes82 wrote:
The 80 year old if they drive against orders absolutely should be charged with dangerous driving. I do not think that seniors really need to retake the written exam each year, just the driving part (and more than the once around the block, maybe some freeway entrance and exiting) If the tester has questions about mental capacity, possible then require a written, but that pretty much has stayed the same since the invention of the Stop light. And an 18 isn't a moron, they know driving and talking is wrong. Just like they know drinking underage is illegal, but nothing is going to stop them from doing it. Now after 1st offense for talking on a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle, maybe a remedial driving course, geared towards what can happen to people who drive and talk on the phone, full of graphic pictures and testimonials, I could see. I wasn't disagreeing with your original post, just elaborating on my view. I am almost 30, and worst thing I have had driving wise is a head lamp being out ticket, lol.
As I was also elaborating on my view, which was, "old" people don't want to stop driving, just like you said the "young" people don't want to stop driving, but be fair to both_one will possibly loose their license,while the other can go on dangerously driving_there are good old drivers and good young drivers,so until they are charged with a dangerous driving charge, make NEITHER have to renew their license until they do.

“Fire in my Bones and”

#26 May 27, 2010
I disagree. Just because no accident has occured, because other drivers a being vigilant, doesn't mean that and 85 year old is still a good driver. We have all been behind the caddy, going 36mph on the freeway with just a q-tip sticking above the head rest. That is unsafe driving. Just because someone has not slammed grandma in the rear end (okay children, no sexual puns please) doesn't mean that she should still have a licence. There is a difference between the invincibilty of youth and inability. I am not saying to strip all seniors of their licence, I am saying after 70 have a 15 minute road test bi yearly or yearly, I really don't think that that is asking for anything to over the top. I have never understood why people wait for something bad to happen, rather that putting pre-emptive measures in place to prevent it from happening.....

“Fire in my Bones and”

#27 May 27, 2010
And also, I see just as many soccer moms, executives, and grandparents talking on cell phones during rush hour. That is not something that just teens do.

“behind curtain #1”

Location hidden

#28 May 27, 2010
Ashes82 wrote:
I disagree. Just because no accident has occured, because other drivers a being vigilant, doesn't mean that and 85 year old is still a good driver. We have all been behind the caddy, going 36mph on the freeway with just a q-tip sticking above the head rest. That is unsafe driving. Just because someone has not slammed grandma in the rear end (okay children, no sexual puns please) doesn't mean that she should still have a license. There is a difference between the invincibilty of youth and inability. I am not saying to strip all seniors of their license, I am saying after 70 have a 15 minute road test bi yearly or yearly, I really don't think that that is asking for anything to over the top. I have never understood why people wait for something bad to happen, rather that putting pre-emptive measures in place to prevent it from happening.....
Your last sentence says it all, so my question to you is,what pre-emptive measures are we going to put in place to stop driving and phoning at the same time?If you're going to take the license away from the elderly, then you should also take the license away from whoever is caught on a cell phone.

“Fire in my Bones and”

#29 May 28, 2010
No there is a difference like I said , between stupidity and Inability. People who drive are and talk/text are stupid and should have a chance to correct there mistakes. Older people who are deemed unsafe drivers, have an inability to correct that problem. Ohio, where I am from, just a few weeks ago passed a texting while driving ban (thank god), and it went into effect yesterday. Next ballot, they are having an issue about making it illegal to talk on anything but a hands-free synced system. They are slowly putting these laws into effect to help correct the problem. But as of yet, no one has ever seriously considered having seniors do a road test yeraly or bi-yearly.

“behind curtain #1”

Location hidden

#30 May 28, 2010
Ashes82 wrote:
No there is a difference like I said , between stupidity and Inability. People who drive are and talk/text are stupid and should have a chance to correct there mistakes. Older people who are deemed unsafe drivers, have an inability to correct that problem. Ohio, where I am from, just a few weeks ago passed a texting while driving ban (thank god), and it went into effect yesterday. Next ballot, they are having an issue about making it illegal to talk on anything but a hands-free synced system. They are slowly putting these laws into effect to help correct the problem. But as of yet, no one has ever seriously considered having seniors do a road test yeraly or bi-yearly.
Like I said earlier,I realize _to use my words_one is natural and one is man made_which actually is what you're saying.And you say that you can't make an older person that much better when they get old,and I don't disagree, but where I do disagree, is,do you think they can make someone whom is addicted to cell phones, a better driver?Unless they can get young people to mentally change their thinking,as older people must change their physical skills,then in my opinion, there's no difference in the END result_which is an accident.

“Fire in my Bones and”

#31 May 28, 2010
Well, I guess we will simply have to agree to disagree, thanks for a civil, grown up conversation though....To many debates end in name calling.

“behind curtain #1”

Location hidden

#32 May 30, 2010
Ashes82 wrote:
Well, I guess we will simply have to agree to disagree, thanks for a civil, grown up conversation though....To many debates end in name calling.
I think we're both to serious for this forum?lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coatesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cougar Sighting/Caught in Downingtown, PA (Aug '08) Dec 16 robert shultz 41
Review: Gentle Dental - Andrew S In DDS (Oct '10) Dec 13 Jay from Philly 4
glen mills schools (Sep '11) Dec 6 dontsendyourkidshere 78
Family, school speak out after murder of 3-year... Nov '14 Tommy Carroll 1
Bruce Johnston Gang Nov '14 Len 1
Bistro on 10 (Mar '09) Nov '14 TBreeding 89
snapchat Sep '14 YoungHornyGuyy 2

Coatesville News Video

Coatesville Dating
Find my Match