Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Nov 29, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ckelley

Walpole, MA

#1 Feb 28, 2006
we are considering a move to the chester county area and welcome independant opinions as to areas to consider with the best school systems. It appears as though the Dowingtown East has wonderful ratios of student to pupil-do you agree??We welcome any feedback or helpful hints!! Thanks in advance-ck
clc

Charlotte, NC

#2 Mar 25, 2006
Hi ckelley, did anyone respond to you? I am from MA- and we relocated to Charlotte (Waxhaw). My husband's job is taking us back up North to PA. This time we are researching the Downington Area- how is your search going? Let me know if you have any tips for me. Thanks so much

clc
cjal

Cape May, NJ

#3 Mar 25, 2006
Downingtown and West Chester are both good school systems....Coatesville has their share of problems but they are struggling to get better. Most of Coatesville School District is rural -- the others are pretty crowded areas, although you can find some pretty peaceful spots. Really depends on what your looking for - quaint town life or a home on an acre or more of land.
ckelley wrote:
we are considering a move to the chester county area and welcome independant opinions as to areas to consider with the best school systems. It appears as though the Dowingtown East has wonderful ratios of student to pupil-do you agree??We welcome any feedback or helpful hints!! Thanks in advance-ck
Pete

Newark, DE

#4 Jul 7, 2006
ckelley wrote:
See Topic: "Coatesville."
Chris

Bloomfield, CT

#5 Jul 18, 2007
I grew up in that area and it really has changed over the years. I would like to say that it really makes no difference which school district you choose. The three biggies (West Chester, Downingtown & Coatesville) all have their positives and negatives, and they are all EXPENSIVE....You may want to consider something a bit more rural like Unionville, Octorara or Twin Valley...
John Smith

Plainsboro, NJ

#6 Jul 18, 2007
Coatesville has one of the top ten highest school tax rates in PA.

Living in the area, my only recommendations is to stay out of Coatesville School district. Be careful, even parts of Downingtown end up in Coatesville school district.

If you can afford the housing, I would shoot for West Chester school district. Downingtown 2nd choice but only because I grew up in West Chester.
Ethan

Coatesville, PA

#7 Sep 7, 2007
Where there's blacks, you can never relax. Learn it, and live by it.
Grace

Lansdale, PA

#8 Sep 14, 2007
Ethan wrote:
Are you F'ing KIDDING ME??? Klan much??

Since: Jun 07

Auburn Hills, MI

#9 Sep 17, 2007
West Chester has three outstanding high schools. The newest is Bayard Rustin in Westtown.
Henderson is in downstown West Chester. West Chester East is in East Goshen. All of my children
and grand children went to West Chester East and had outstanding experiences.

For an extremely rural location, try Owen J. Roberts school district in north Chester County.
You could live in Chester Springs (horse country)
and go to school there. Very advanced, modern
schools with extremely outstanding facilties.

I should mention that Rustin is only two years
old and West Chester East and West Chester
Henderson high schools have been recently
completely redesigned and renovated with
outstanding sports facilities.
JLB

Jersey City, NJ

#10 Sep 17, 2007
Chester County is extremely overpriced. Taxes are high, housing prices are high, and the communities are over-rated. If you want to pay more than the house is worth, than Chester County is for you. There are some great schools, but you will pay through the nose to get them.
stupid honky has opinion

West Chester, PA

#11 Nov 10, 2007
Ethan wrote:
Once ya go black... ya neva go back!!!
Tina

West Chester, PA

#12 Apr 22, 2009
Whatever you do, stay away from Octorara School District, they are as high possibly higher than Coatesville, and they have nothing, absolutely nothing to offer. They have no football, they are into there wrestling. Only certain kids seem to be in the sports, even if they can't play, they have their cliques there. They are a strange school, and I do not know how long ago, but they had the highest drop out rate. The elementary is okay, its when they get into the upper middle and high school. Coatesville taxes are high, but they have so much more to offer. Their own swim team, TV Radio station, great football field, the only school to hold their prom every year in the auditorium which is a parade itself when they arrive, the list goes on.
Coatesville gets a bad rap because of the City, but many a good Doctors, Dentists, etc. have graduated Coatesville.
http://www.chestercountyrants.com
Tiggles

Tulsa, OK

#13 Jun 8, 2009
Never had a problem with Octorara, except the outrageous $500 fine for food fights, cameras, stuff like that. So what if they don't have a football team? Whoopdee doo. Concentrate on academics, not pork skin.

West Chester is supposed to be good, as is D-Town.
Linda D in GP

Crescent City, CA

#14 Jun 22, 2009
My soon to be hubby moved out to Sadsburyville for work. I am still in Southern Oregon and if he can stay there with gainful employment I will be moving out there with him. Anyone have suggestons for web-sites or info about the area? Ia title examiner employed by the County - how is real property transferred? Deed or attorneys? Is there any work in the real estate markets?

Much help for any you may have.... LD
Tina

West Chester, PA

#15 Jul 13, 2009
To Tiggles
Their academics stink too. Do your research, the middle and elementary are okay, but when they hit high school in Octorara watch out. A few years back they were cited for the lowest grades of Seniors entering college and for highest drop out or expulsion rate. Just thought I would mention the football.
www.chestercountyrants.com
wryview

Millville, NJ

#16 Mar 14, 2010
Tina - you are leaving out the Octorara has an excellent AP program. Their students consistently score in the top 10 in the state on the AP English exam. They also made Newsweek's list of top schools in the nation for AP classes. Maybe the grades are lower because they don't inflate them. What does football have to do with whether a school is good or not?
Doc

West Chester, PA

#17 Aug 11, 2010
Is there a way you can appeal your school district? If you are assigned lets say Kennett and are closer to Avon Grove schools and would like to be in the Avon Grove School District?
ETHAN HAWK

Collegeville, PA

#18 Jun 22, 2011
Ethan wrote:
"And where the KLAN rests, you're sure to have incest!"
MAO

Norristown, PA

#19 Jul 4, 2011
ckelley wrote:
hi I have a house for sale in montgomery county just outside Chester county in Collegeville, pa in a great blue ribbon school district Perkiomen Valley School District. For more info go to www.4068steeplechase.com
ddd

Tamaqua, PA

#20 Jul 11, 2011
ckelley wrote:
god bless u then if u have children u might have to home school them then the school had got pretty ruff since i left area u might have to check the area first before u make a big change first

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coatesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 4 hr Mr Johnson 3,933
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 4 hr Yoda 51,313
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) 9 hr EDDIE SWINDELL 161
snapchat Aug 13 lvrofsex 1
glen mills schools (Sep '11) Jul '14 James H 73
Cougar Sighting/Caught in Downingtown, PA (Aug '08) Jul '14 Paul Yardley PA 40
Chambersburg teachers experience the Chinese ed... Jul '14 RayH 1
•••

Coatesville News Video

•••
•••

Coatesville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••