American Legion Post in York plagued with problems closes

Full story: The York Daily Record

After years of shootings and fights, members of the American Legion Charles E. Williams Post have agreed to close their downtown post and move to another in York, according to a state Legion administrator.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 32 of32
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
little D

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2011

big G wrote:
Thats sad that a private club has to deal with such hidious behavior.
THEY DO NOT have to 'put-up' with THIS sort of hideous behavior!!! Simply a lifestyle for THEM! Nothing sad, they brought it upon themselves. For you non-members of VFW/LEGION Posts...most have very strict rules. NO: covers (hats) worn within posts, cut off sleeved 'wife beater' shirts, underwear showing, trousers at least 1" above rear crack, etc. etc. Very simply, follow the prescribed rules or out you go! With THEM, sorta like attempting to finally discipline your CHILD, when he/she turns 15! At our post, the BOD talks to every single applicant, prior to membership, explaining policy of the organization! Can imagine the now defunct organization did THAT?????
Legionaire

New Freedom, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2011

Judged:

George wrote:
<quoted text>I did not serve! I am a member of the Sons of the American legion! Not a lowlife social member! Did you serve? I dont need you to rattle off asll of you supposed metal and citations. Just a simple yes or no.
Hopefully you are with a Sons group that helps the legion instead of fighting everything they the legionaires must abide by per the bylaws and constituion of the American Legion.
Legionaire

New Freedom, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2011

Judged:

Thank a Vet wrote:
Thank heavens the members of the C. E. Williams VFW Post decided to close. It was sad that an organization chartered to honor our vets had turned into a thug-haven.
Hopefully, the vets at VFW Post 127 will do a much better job of keeping the riff-raff out.
Bless you all, Vets! Thanks for your service.
I totally agree with your comments, they are a disgrace to the American Legion as well as a disgrace to the man they named their post after. If our Dept Adjutant Kit Watson would have done his job a couple of years ago we wouldn't even be discussing this now, and I don't agree with any merge. If the members of the post closing want to transfer then let them put in transfer forms and be voted on by the membership of the post instead of any merger.
Proud Veteran

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2011

George wrote:
<quoted text>I did not serve! I am a member of the Sons of the American legion! Not a lowlife social member! Did you serve? I dont need you to rattle off asll of you supposed metal and citations. Just a simple yes or no.
A MOST EMPHATIC 'YES', George!'Sons of Veterans' do exceptional work around many posts; although hardly the same as a VETERAN!'METALS', it is 'MEDALS'...see what I mean??? REAL veterans NEVER rattle off MEDALS/CITATIONS, but we know very, very down deep inside what we did! Not very kosher to hammer social members either! But for some relative of yours, you would also be one of THEM. That hardly makes you a hero, other than in your own mind!
Thomas Mullins

Lancaster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2011

Sad to see this closing. I think it's the younger generation that has caused this. I was in there once while I was growing up. Around '76. It was for a legion road trip to an Orioles game by bus with the other members. My mother took me along. She knew a few members and may have even worked there at one point. Plus, we were the only white people there and everyone got along fine. I remember it as a pleasant experience. I think York was better in the 70's.
George

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2011

Proud Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
A MOST EMPHATIC 'YES', George!'Sons of Veterans' do exceptional work around many posts; although hardly the same as a VETERAN!'METALS', it is 'MEDALS'...see what I mean??? REAL veterans NEVER rattle off MEDALS/CITATIONS, but we know very, very down deep inside what we did! Not very kosher to hammer social members either! But for some relative of yours, you would also be one of THEM. That hardly makes you a hero, other than in your own mind!
I never claimed to be a hero!
RealMemberWithou tMetals

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2011

George wrote:
<quoted text>I never claimed to be a hero!
You hammered me in that you requested a simple 'yes or no' being sufficient and you did not need me to rattle off a list of my "meTals"/citations! For a 'Sons of Veterans' to make such a degrading statement you sure don't understand what the Legion stands for. My reference to HERO was simply that you had the audacity to castigate, in your words, "LOWLIFE social members"! Fair Winds and Following Seas!
George

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2011

RealMemberWithoutMetals wrote:
<quoted text>
You hammered me in that you requested a simple 'yes or no' being sufficient and you did not need me to rattle off a list of my "meTals"/citations! For a 'Sons of Veterans' to make such a degrading statement you sure don't understand what the Legion stands for. My reference to HERO was simply that you had the audacity to castigate, in your words, "LOWLIFE social members"! Fair Winds and Following Seas!
get over it! I was making a general statement and not targeting you! Sensitive sensitive!
Mark

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2011

Judged:

We here in York City need to respect one another and the property's we use. These clubs were designed for entertainment and fellowship.
Native Son

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2011

Sarcastic Spastic wrote:
and another business closes in downtown because diversity works! Our Diverse city brings commerce and a wonderful tax base to such a clean and safe city!
The Hotel Yorktowne is next. Cespool York is no longer the place to take your Lady. Pimps. Ho's,Drug Dealer's and roving gangs of thugs everywhere. Kimmie ....... bring back the K9 dogs before the National Guard has to come to the Cesspool again. Charette is dead!
Ferdie

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2011

That's great. The VFW closed. Now all the problems of the city will go away. Hooray!
big G

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2011

There is no BS at our VFW, Very strict and for GOOD reasons. Thank your Vets.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 32 of32
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Coatesville Discussions

Search the Coatesville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 5 hr Cut and paste and bitter 3,801
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 5 hr Ben 51,182
Cougar Sighting/Caught in Downingtown, PA (Aug '08) Jul 18 Paul Yardley PA 40
Chambersburg teachers experience the Chinese ed... Jul 12 RayH 1
glen mills schools (Sep '11) Jun '14 posie 72
dnt get it twisted tho Jun '14 posie 3
Child Id Event May '14 Cassandria Johnson 1
•••
•••

Coatesville News Video

•••
•••

Coatesville Jobs