Judge dismisses parents' suit in teen...

Judge dismisses parents' suit in teen death case

There are 8 comments on the The Morning Call story from Sep 15, 2008, titled Judge dismisses parents' suit in teen death case. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

James Hill was shot and killed in September, 2004, by Greg Altenbach . Altenbach is serving five to 12 years in state prison for the shooting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Watching You

United States

#1 Sep 15, 2008
This doesn't make sense....... Chief and town should be on the hook1
And that ends that

Sparta, NJ

#2 Sep 15, 2008
Jones said in his ruling that because the shooting "plainly" was an accident, and neither the borough nor any action by Nihen caused James Hills' death, neither violated the parents' constitutional rights.
Fiction

Sparta, NJ

#3 Sep 15, 2008
The deal is anything can be written into a complaint, particularly a civil complaint. But when the case is thrown out, as this one was, the reputation of the people involved is tainted by the tossed allegations. This is one screwed up legal system.
Wondering

Sparta, NJ

#4 Sep 15, 2008
"Moreover, because the parents' lawyer, John Karoly of South Whitehall Township, in his response to the dismissal motion used an affidavit from a Lansford police officer who was not on their witness list ..."

Who? Why? Is it a secret? What was the motivation? Is there a history here?
Hmmm

Bethlehem, PA

#6 Sep 15, 2008
Wow this one backfired on Karoly and it's his own fault. Now the parents can sue him to recover the costs they had to pay for this trial.
Watching You

United States

#7 Sep 15, 2008
I don't think Karoly is at fault here....If another police officer comes forward to tell the truth, why can't his "Affadavit" be used?? What list does an officer of the court use when an Officer comes forward? If all involved lied on how this "accident" happened. Then it is possible it was not an accident.....
Been there

Sparta, NJ

#8 Sep 15, 2008
Watching You wrote:
I don't think Karoly is at fault here....If another police officer comes forward to tell the truth, why can't his "Affadavit" be used?? What list does an officer of the court use when an Officer comes forward? If all involved lied on how this "accident" happened. Then it is possible it was not an accident.....
Do police tell the truth in court?
only in the coal region

Danville, PA

#9 Sep 15, 2008
considering coaldale is probably one of the most corrupt towns on earth, this story does not surprise me one bit... where is half of the police force in lansford and coaldale? oh yeah, thats right, they're in jail or being sued by someone for corruption

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coaldale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
what is happening with carbon county politics (Dec '10) 7 hr DemO party 7,797
News Nesquehoning gets help with Homanko case 7 hr waste 7
Marian football players arrested 11 hr Marian Feetball 58
News Murderer to spend rest of life in jail 11 hr free Heath 1
Panther Valley Education 13 hr parent in solidarity 450
Heroin Usage 17 hr get God 13
News Tamaqua cigarette store robbed (Dec '10) 23 hr Karma strikes again 47
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coaldale Mortgages